Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭amandstu

Nody wrote: »
    From what I recall you can have it twice (or more theoretically) because there are mutations on the same virus meaning anti bodies against Covid19 A does not necessary protect against Covid19 B etc.

Would it be milder second time around even if it had mutated?( I didn't think there had been any significant mutations till now)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Nody wrote: »
    From what I recall you can have it twice (or more theoretically) because there are mutations on the same virus meaning anti bodies against Covid19 A does not necessary protect against Covid19 B etc.

No. Most findings of studies are finding that antibodies only protect you for 3 - 4 months, after that you can be reinfected again. It hasn't mutated into separate strains but it has mutated into something less lethal than we saw in Wuhan originally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,237 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Just when you thought 2020 couldn’t get any more mental

• Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Recall reading this a while ago (from late August). Looks prophetic now.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/08/white-house-coronavirus-measures/615841/
    The most famous address in America now feels like a coronavirus breeding ground. Later tonight, President Trump will address the nation from the White House’s South Lawn, where hundreds of chairs have been arranged with little regard for social distancing.

This afternoon, Secret Service agents checked to see if I was armed, but no one asked if I was ill. Upon reaching the entrance to the press-briefing room, I found the first indication that the nation is in the midst of a historic pandemic. A sign posted by the White House Correspondents’ Association instructed journalists to wear a mask and “spend as little time here as possible.” Beyond that, it was business as usual...

...Not everyone is participating in the fantasy that the pandemic is behind us. On my way out of the building today, I passed a pair of janitors cleaning a break room. They both wore masks.

I do not wish illness of any kind on anyone and hope Trump + others infected recover soon but it is hard, so very hard to feel any shred of sympathy for him or other republicans that have caught Covid.
    The man bears alot of responsibility for the extremely poor US, and perhaps in some respects the fairly poor Western response to the virus given how key the US is to us all and the influence it has.
    Growing up under the spell of Hollywood, was always (until quite recently) expecting that the US would be the engine room of humanity in a crisis like this, using science and rationality to beat back the pandemic, leading the way etc, all that good stuff. Instead we have Trump and the 2020 US Republican party.
    It is very depressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

It hasn't mutated into separate strains but it has mutated into something less lethal than we saw in Wuhan originally.

Hard data is still scarce on this point, but the newer strain(s) seem to be less lethal but more contagious. All the time Trump has been whining on about the "China" virus, he's effectively referring to the original Wuhan strain that reached the US West Coast early on (most notably the cause of the Washington State outbreak).

What he ignored was the "new and improved" Bergamo strain that was considerably more contagious, arrived in the US from Europe about a month later and booted the Wuhan strain into insignificance.

I've seen no recent reports to back this up, but given the epidemiological soup that is the US, I'd be very surprised if a bigger, stronger, shinier, tremendously American strain hasn't evolved by now.

If that is the case, it could play havoc with vaccine development, which would leave an eventual President Biden with something of a dilemma: whether to start the testing and research programmes all over again - with yet more money poured into the Covid hole - or impose the kind of severe movement restrictions that should have been put in place right at the beginning, with an obviously negative effect on the economy.

• Advertisement

If it can be shown they continued as normal after positive diagnoses the media need to absolutely nail them for it. Without a big turnaround in the polls I wouldn't be surprised to see Fox drop Trump and the GOP in general doing the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

If it can be shown they continued as normal after positive diagnoses the media need to absolutely nail them for it. Without a big turnaround in the polls I wouldn't be surprised to see Fox drop Trump and the GOP in general doing the same.

Well according to some of the Lincoln project top brass many of the staffers are trying to “find the off ramp” from trump and some of the campaign staff are refusing to come to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

So, random thought and I'm far from an expert in the area, but does the presidential physician count as an enlisted member of the military? If it does, then they'd be bound to obey all lawful orders from their commander in chief, Trump. Hypothetically then, if Trump ordered them to downplay his symptoms to press, wouldn't they have to obey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,832 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Mitch plans to go ahead with the hearing for the USSC nominee, even though he plans to curtail usual senate business. The mind boggles at the thought of the USSC nominee and infected GOP senate judiciary committee members being in the same room together, plus if she was voted in, the chance of a carrier then moving into the presence of the USSC bench.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

No. Most findings of studies are finding that antibodies only protect you for 3 - 4 months, after that you can be reinfected again. It hasn't mutated into separate strains but it has mutated into something less lethal than we saw in Wuhan originally.
    Guess that depends on your definition of different strains.
    A new study shows a 33-year-old man who was treated at the hospital for a mild case in March harbored the virus again when he was tested at the Hong Kong airport after returning from Europe on 15 August, less than 5 months later. He had no symptoms this time. Researchers had sequenced the virus, SARS-CoV-2, from the first infection; they did so again after the patient’s second diagnosis and found numerous differences between the two, bolstering the case that the patient had been infected a second time.
    “Even though [the patient] got infected with a very different strain that’s distinct from the first time around"

In the current case, the press release and paper excerpts say, the HKU scientists found 24 differences between the first and second viral genome, including one in the first virus that truncates a gene known as ORF8. “There’s sort of no chance that it’s the same infection twice,” Barrett says

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,832 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Blowfish wrote: »
    So, random thought and I'm far from an expert in the area, but does the presidential physician count as an enlisted member of the military? If it does, then they'd be bound to obey all lawful orders from their commander in chief, Trump. Hypothetically then, if Trump ordered them to downplay his symptoms to press, wouldn't they have to obey?

Probably not. As commissioned officers they would have obligations beyond those to Trump. Resignation would be the clear way out for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

aloyisious wrote: »
    Mitch plans to go ahead with the hearing for the USSC nominee, even though he plans to curtail usual senate business. The mind boggles at the thought of the USSC nominee and infected GOP senate judiciary committee members being in the same room together, plus if she was voted in, the chance of a carrier then moving into the presence of the USSC bench.

Would assume they will do it remotely or have vote by proxy? Is that possible?

Of course it's just more evidence of what is really important to McConnell and the senate republicans

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,693 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I do think you might be on to something in relation to the experimental drugs though. Of course its more likely he would be asking for hydroxichloroquine, but maybe they had to talk him out of it and offer miraculous alternatives.

All lawful orders yes, or resign of course, but their oath is to the constitution not the president. I do think however that there are circumstances where it is understandable, preferable even to keep certain facts out of the public domain at times.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

looksee wrote: »
    Of course its more likely he would be asking for hydroxichloroquine, but maybe they had to talk him out of it and offer miraculous alternatives.

Supposedly he'd already taken a course of HCQ, under the supervision of Dr. Conely, so maybe he's accepted that it's useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,640 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Well the WH Chief of Staff, off the record, briefed the press as to probably the real state of Trump's health. Why?
    Did he feel it correct that the people should know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,693 ✭✭✭✭looksee

One article I was just reading (not sure where, I was just browsing) was suggesting that WH staff were trying to distance themselves from the WH, and that some were even refusing to come to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,618 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

looksee wrote: »
    One article I was just reading (not sure where, I was just browsing) was suggesting that WH staff were trying to distance themselves from the WH, and that some were even refusing to come to work.

The term "rats deserting the sinking ship" springs to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Jack1985

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Further to the above;

Remdesivir which POTUS has begun a 5-day course of prescribed by his medical team is only usually prescribed when blood-oxygen levels are below 94% it forms part of a criteria in the US to target drugs to those who need it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,049 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

The term "rats deserting the sinking ship" springs to mind.
    Ah now staff could mean anyone not just his close confidants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,618 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Ah now staff could mean anyone not just his close confidants

In some places the lower paid "unskilled" workers are more important than the management.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,049 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

In some places the lower paid "unskilled" workers are more important than the management.

Yes and that is why rams escaping is not a good term. That was my point

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Jack1985 wrote: »

He does look a bit shook, but that is the most positive I have seen him in a briefing in a while, if ever. No jabs or hyperbole. Imagine he was like that all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,061 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The video is completely at odds to how is own CoS indicated yesterday which leads me to actually believe it was recorded at landing. They learnt from Boris radio silence and have something ready to send out.

Sounds alright to me tbh, stuck to the script well enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭Field east

Based on that 4 min + presentation and his comments re did not want to be locked up, being out in front, etc, etc, I would expect him to give us a daily update on his progress, do a bit of canvassing re upcoming election, update on national/ international matters, etc etc, and knowing Pres Trumps form one would expect him to milk the media for all its worth.
    SO WHY IS HE NOT DOING IT?

At a more basic level why has the tweeting stopped - if even only to keep in contact with his base?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Field east wrote: »
    Based on that 4 min + presentation and his comments re did not want to be locked up, being out in front, etc, etc, I would expect him to give us a daily update on his progress, do a bit of canvassing re upcoming election, update on national/ international matters, etc etc, and knowing Pres Trumps form one would expect him to milk the media for all its worth.
    SO WHY IS HE NOT DOING IT?

At a more basic level why has the tweeting stopped - if even only to keep in contact with his base?

The tweeting is a worry. I would definately expect that to increase, the other stuff, not so much sounds like work.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

What would he tweet about though?

He can't go after "Sleepy Joe" for housing in his basement, He can't bang on about "Open up the country" and the like.

What's he going to do, Tweet about Policy??

Without the attacks, he has absolutely nothing to say

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement