Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,061 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    What would he tweet about though?

He can't go after "Sleepy Joe" for housing in his basement, He can't bang on about "Open up the country" and the like.

What's he going to do, Tweet about Policy??

Without the attacks, he has absolutely nothing to say

Absolutely smashing this virus. Strong strong America strong trump 2020

Or some such nonsense. The lack of tweets is telling. If he's in good nick he'd be watching TV . And responding to the TV via tweets.

He's not though....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oh yeah, the tactic of demeaning others through caution will be diminished but the strategy will absolutely turn towards full Dear Leader; whose sheer masculinity and strength beat back the Chinese virus, and so America should trust in the man to stare down the disease. Wasn't like his support wasn't already something close to a slavish cult, this could put his Base and sycophants over the top.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Another poll that won't please Trump's ego.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-poll/biden-leads-by-10-points-as-majority-of-americans-say-trump-could-have-avoided-coronavirus-reuters-ipsos-poll-idUSKBN26P0DB
    65%, including 9 in 10 registered Democrats and 5 in 10 registered Republicans, agreed that “if President Trump had taken coronavirus more seriously, he probably would not have been infected.”

Only 34% said they thought that Trump has been telling them the truth about the coronavirus, while 55% said that he was not and 11% were unsure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

pixelburp wrote: »
    Oh yeah, the tactic of demeaning others through caution will be diminished but the strategy will absolutely turn towards full Dear Leader; whose sheer masculinity and strength beat back the Chinese virus, and so America should trust in the man to stare down the disease. Wasn't like his support wasn't already something close to a slavish cult, this could put his Base and sycophants over the top.

And this is where the hope that Trump beating the virus may help him in the election may not materialise.

Many see Trump getting infected as self harm, that of everyobdy he actually had a duty to ensure he was fully protected and yet despite all the systems around him, he didn't take it seriously and put himself, and the entire administration as well as many others, at risk.

Then the line that he survived, which shows how strong and determined he is, is a very difficult tightrope to walk. It has the air of those that dies simply not believing enough of not being strong enough, in effect that anyone who died is simply not good enough.

Not a great message to be sending out. Of course his base already believe it, but his base isn't enough.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Leroy42 wrote: »
    And this is where the hope that Trump beating the virus may help him in the election may not materialise.

Many see Trump getting infected as self harm, that of everyobdy he actually had a duty to ensure he was fully protected and yet despite all the systems around him, he didn't take it seriously and put himself, and the entire administration as well as many others, at risk.

Then the line that he survived, which shows how strong and determined he is, is a very difficult tightrope to walk. It has the air of those that dies simply not believing enough of not being strong enough, in effect that anyone who died is simply not good enough.

Not a great message to be sending out. Of course his base already believe it, but his base isn't enough.

That message is fully in line with the Evangelicals beliefs.

People are poor/sick/stupid because they did not pray hard enough and God doesn't love them as a result and it's all their own fault.

• Advertisement

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    That message is fully in line with the Evangelicals beliefs.

People are poor/sick/stupid because they did not pray hard enough and God doesn't love them as a result and it's all their own fault.

100%. But he already has those people. He needs to be winning over others and I fail to see how a message of "I beat it because I'm super and everyone that dies is a loser' is a good vote getting line.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭blackcard

If Trump recovers and somehow manages to show a bit of humility up to election day, it could be enough to swing the election. Says that he now empathizes with all those who have got the virus. Starts wearing a mask and gets his entourage to wear masks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

blackcard wrote: »
    If Trump recovers and somehow manages to show a bit of humility up to election day, it could be enough to swing the election. Says that he now empathizes with all those who have got the virus. Starts wearing a mask and gets his entourage to wear masks.

And pigs will fly. I mean why change the habit of a lifetime of having no empathy whatsoever and down playing this virus and if the reports are true they didn’t want to tell people that a very close aide to the president was positive with covid until the press broke the story. We also have the doctor to the president doing mental gymnastics not to reveal info about the presidents condition when asked basic questions that aren’t the third secret of Fatima ffs. All we get is this positive, vague soup when down is up and up is down and people are more confused then they were before hand.

So to be clear none of that will happen because he doesn’t have the capacity to do what you suggest he’ll do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,618 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

To do that he would have to admit that he was wrong all along and Biden was right, Trump doesn't like to show that kind of weakness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭blackcard

To do that he would have to admit that he was wrong all along and Biden was right, Trump doesn't like to show that kind of weakness.

I don't think that he will show any humility. If I was his advisor, I would be thinking that Trump was almost certain to lose the election based on recent polls and his performance in the first debate. I would be saying to Trump that drastic changes are required if he is going to win. He will be in hospital for another couple of weeks. After that, all he has to do is put on an act of humility for another few weeks. If the won the election, he could revert to his normal personality

• Advertisement

I don't think that he will show any humility. If I was his advisor, I would be thinking that Trump was almost certain to lose the election based on recent polls and his performance in the first debate. I would be saying to Trump that drastic changes are required if he is going to win. He will be in hospital for another couple of weeks. After that, all he has to do is put on an act of humility for another few weeks. If the won the election, he could revert to his normal personality

Well logically that’s what he should do but it appears before the debate he was told by his advisers to make certain points about joe Biden when the opportunity presented itself and he did his own thing and look how bad that debate was. Donald trump seems to form his own opinions on things and unlike most people he will not change his view regardless of what happens after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭abff

Jack1985 wrote: »

That was by far the most measured and rational speech I have ever heard from Trump. If it wasn’t for his totally egregious behaviour over the previous four years I’d almost believe that he is actually a competent adult who is prepared to take on the responsibilities of his role.

It might be enough to convince some of the undecideds to vote for him, but only those who were looking for an excuse to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,871 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Just on this video.
    There was a post over on Reddit claiming that are cuts that would indicate this isn't a continuous take.
    The claim is that cuts and transitions have been used to eliminate Trump's coughing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bestof/comments/j4s5rf/uarg6531_points_out_how_trumps_latest_hospital/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Nope.

https://twitter.com/POLITICO_Steve/status/1312742923369426947

So the doctor to the president has confirmed on camera that he did indeed get supplemental oxygen as was reported. I mean was that that hard to do ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭mvt

Have to say he didn't look or sound great in that video.
    May we live in interesting times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Pay attention to the word therapeutics - Clearly POTUS was coughing.

https://twitter.com/AynRandPaulRyan/status/1312528580836909057?s=20

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Yeah. That would look like it's going to be a hard no
    Despite the president currently being hospitalized for COVID-19, Trump senior campaign adviser Jason Miller continued to mock Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden for regularly wearing face masks, claiming the former vice president uses masks as a “prop.”

You'd call it tone deaf, but that somehow just doesn't quite cover the utter grotesqueness of it..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Doctor says he could be back in the White House as early as tomorrow.

This Dr is spinning as much as an Australia bowling attack. So him saying that the president hadn’t been on oxygen when talking yesterday wasn’t lying. I’d call it being vague with the facts at best and a bare faced lie at worst.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Detritus70

I have to say Biden has risen massively in my esteem since the debate.
    Republicans are cry-bullies, they will attack and provoke, but if challenged, they will cry foul.
    Biden is sorry, not sorry and I respect the man for sticking to his guns.
    Some will cry foul, but to those I say, will you shut up man.
    Own medicine doesn't taste nice, does it?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CF5jxvWA99B/

Fully Automated Luxury Gay Space Communism

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Big piece of information from that briefing was that Trump has been placed on the steroid Dexamethasone - This is recommended for use by the WHO for the treatment of COVID-19 patients who are critically ill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,548 ✭✭✭weisses

Big piece of information from that briefing was that Trump has been placed on the steroid Dexamethasone - This is recommended for use by the WHO for the treatment of COVID-19 patients who are critically ill.

Tests looking at the mortality rate showed that it worked on people on a ventilator or patients on continues oxygen ... Not on patients with mild symptoms.

I cannot imagine they just prescribe him anything that was mentioned as being effective in the last couple of months :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

The mixed messaging is making it impossible to know what is going on.
    Out tomorrow but on a drug for severe cases!!
    Said they didn't talk about oxygen because they wanted upbeat news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭abff

Given all the lies, misinformation and misdirection that has emanated from the White House since Trump took office, it’s impossible to know what’s true and what’s not.

If he thought he could get away with it, I wouldn’t put it past Trump to fake his own death so that he could rise again on the 3rd day, thereby proving that his most avid supporters were right all along.

I know that sounds harsh, but it’s nowhere near as bad as some of the lies and false accusations that Trump has levied against his opponents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,832 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    This Dr is spinning as much as an Australia bowling attack. So him saying that the president hadn’t been on oxygen when talking yesterday wasn’t lying. I’d call it being vague with the facts at best and a bare faced lie at worst.

It now seems that the President was given oxygen twice. What isn't clear are the circumstances were for it's use in the W/House and whether it was once or twice there. This makes it appear he was temporarily at severe risk to harm from the virus while there.

Not disclosing the facts make it seem the president may not be the healthiest person to carry the burdens of his office if re-elected and that may be recognized by some of the people who would vote for him thinking some-one else may be given the job without being chosen for it by popular vote. Thinking further on it, the question arises as to how good is Pence's popularity standing with the GOP voters, some sections of that party may not happy with the idea of a president having strong personal leaning towards one religious persuasion when it come to making presidential decisions affecting the rights of belief amongst the U.S population as a whole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

I did some research, I wouldn't read into it. This is what the WHO says:
    Dexamethasone is a corticosteroid used in a wide range of conditions for its anti-inflammatory and immunosuppressant effects.

It was tested in hospitalized patients with COVID-19 in the United Kingdom’s national clinical trial RECOVERY and was found to have benefits for critically ill patients.

According to preliminary findings shared with WHO (and now available as a preprint), for patients on ventilators, the treatment was shown to reduce mortality by about one third, and for patients requiring only oxygen, mortality was cut by about one fifth.

It is used for a wide range of conditions... hospitalised patients...

So it's been used for patients who are not necessarily in a serious condition as a preventative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,640 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The same is true of Regeneron. They were clearly very worried at his deterioration. Suggesting Trump might be past danger by Monday is very premature. It would look really poor to have to hospitalise Trump a second time.

I won't be surprised if he returns to the WH tomorrow, the WH has a full medical facility so its not like he will just back to his flat.

And it makes it look like he is back at work.

Btw, his reason for going to the hospital made no sense at all. Not sure he if was off the cuff or it was scripted but total BS.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Is there any danger in prescribing these drugs before symptoms are necessarily severe enough to warrant them? What I ask is whether they're jabbing Trump with the emergency stuff purely cos he's the president and trying to kill the infection in its crib? The whole affair has highlighted the disparities between the powerful and those without power when it comes to treatment, so I'm kinda assuming Trump gets the expensive drugs before we would 'cos he's more important.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement