Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,640 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Being his nurse must be worse. Wondering if any minute now the most powerful person on the planet is going to grab you by the pu**y.

Nurse may be male, one of Boris's two nurses was a Portuguese male. Now a grab like that might be a big mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Whats the difference between a cold and a flu? I say if you fail the 50 euro test, you have a cold. The 50 euro test is you're in bed feeling rotten and imagine there is a 50 euro note on your front step. If you have the energy or inclination to go and get it, you don't have the flu. If instead you just want to roll over and sleep, it's the flu.

Despite being hospitalised, oh great one went for a drive in an SUV.

I still call BS on his diagnosis.

What political capital would he earn from being tested positive for Covid-19? Him catching it after being so blasé about it and not practicing social distancing or mask wearing makes him look foolish.

Also, to be pedantic, Covid is not a flu and the common cold is a corona virus. That's not to downplay the seriousness of Covid-19.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

What political capital would he earn from being tested positive for Covid-19? Him catching it after being so blasé about it and not practicing social distancing or mask wearing makes him look foolish.

Also, to be pedantic, Covid is not a flu and the common cold is a corona virus. That's not to downplay the seriousness of Covid-19.

Totally agree..

Maybe , just maybe (but still No) if it was just him that had tested positive , but the dozen or so positive tests that have come out over the last few days is so damaging to him and the GOP in general it can only be true.

There's no version of this where they come out of this ahead of where they were.

At the absolute best it will have negligible impact overall but that still leaves Trump ~7%+ point behind Nationally , ~4% down in the swing States and the GOP looking pretty likely to lose the Senate majority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,830 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

gizmo wrote: »
    Interesting article on this, especially with McConnell pushing for a two week recess at the Senate - McConnell moves to protect vulnerable Republicans on health care after Schumer's rare effort to force vote.

The more salient question, however, is what do Republicans mean when they say they would maintain the protections for pre-existing conditions should the Supreme Court toss out the ACA? I'd argue one can look no further than the American Health Care Act, the Republican backed alternative from 2017 to get a view on this. Somewhat unsurprisingly, the truth isn't as straight-forward as it's been made out to be - here's a piece on Politifact which breaks down the claims made as well as comments from the American Medical Association and a joint group which includes the American Cancer Society and American Heart Association.

The closure of the senate until the 19th, if McConnell get's his way, surely means the end of any deal reached between congress and Steve Mnuchin getting passage through it which means there will be no bill for Trump to sign at the Resolute Desk and zero funding provision for those presently unemployed and for those who will be shortly [given the effect of Trump's self inflicted covid-19 injury on the market]. No incentive funding for businesses facing severe financial trouble due to the outbreak forcing closure of their business. McConnell has made it clear the only business he is interested in getting passed is the vote on the nominee to the USSC. That could have a carry-over effect on Trump's election chances, basically making him a lame-duck president in the last few months of his term in office. McConnell will have to take part of the blame for torpedoing Trump's presidency, the other half being Trump's. Those unemployed people left without medical insurance cover can make their own estimate about whom to blame.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

aloyisious wrote: »
    The closure of the senate until the 19th, if McConnell get's his way, surely means the end of any deal reached between congress and Steve Mnuchin getting passage through it which means there will be no bill for Trump to sign at the Resolute Desk and zero funding provision for those presently unemployed and for those who will be shortly [given the effect of Trump's self inflicted covid-19 injury on the market]. No incentive funding for businesses facing severe financial trouble due to the outbreak forcing closure of their business. McConnell has made it clear the only business he is interested in getting passed is the vote on the nominee to the USSC. That could have a carry-over effect on Trump's election chances, basically making him a lame-duck president in the last few months of his term in office. McConnell will have to take part of the blame for torpedoing Trump's presidency, the other half being Trump's. Those unemployed people left without medical insurance cover can make their own estimate about whom to blame.

That's been the case since the mid-terms , the only business that McConnell cares about is confirming Judges.

There are literally hundreds of pieces of legislation passed in the House that he simply refuses to bring to the Senate floor.

The GOP control the Senate , at least have the bottle to bring these bills to the floor and vote them down , but he simply refuses to even engage. It's pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Probably been discussed already but have many here read Sarah Kendziors book Hiding In Plain Sight?

I'm listening to it at the minute and only a couple of chapters in but **** me, to have the last 45 years or so of trump condensed in to those couple of chapter is scary to think that so many people actually support the guy. A lot of it is stuff that has come out of the the last few years or longer and stuff I'd heard but retained only the bullet points.

It makes it so clear how he projects all the crap he does on other people and it gets lapped up by supporters.

For anyone that hasn't read it, at the very least have a look (or a listen) at the first couple of chapters.

It literally has everything that his supporters throw at his opponents being attached to him at some point since the mid to late 70s. Things like the Russia connections he claims has never been but is there in his own book from the 80's .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,673 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Trump is currently on a Cap Locks rampage on twitter. They can add that to the side effects of what ever drugs he is on.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Trump is currently on a Cap Locks rampage on twitter. They can add that to the side effects of what ever drugs he is on.

If that's all the Dexamethasone does to him we're lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Water John wrote: »
    If that's all the Dexamethasone does to him we're lucky.

Ive been reading horror stories about the side affects of that stuff, how he can be declared fit for carrying out his duties if hes experiencing any of them is beyond absurd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I read a quote from chief of staff mark meadows from Fox and friends and the way it reads is that the president will decide if he’s discharged from hospital today or not. I mean that’s not really how it’s meant to work even if he’s the president of the United States. The doctor discharges the patient not other way around and especially such an important patient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I read a quote from chief of staff mark meadows from Fox and friends and the way it reads is that the president will decide if he’s discharged from hospital today or not. I mean that’s not really how it’s meant to work even if he’s the president of the United States. The doctor discharges the patient not other way around and especially such an important patient.
    Add Medicine to the list of subjects Donnie knows more about than the actual experts in that particular field

A few below standard one liners deleted.

Let's keep the standard up please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,730 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Kayley McEnany testing positive for Covid-19. Will need a new spinmeister for the pressers (if they still have them)

https://edition.cnn.com/politics/live-news/trump-covid-19-updates-monday/h_ea7dd0fe099e037650841019a1bb2693

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

In the states, you have the legal right to discharge yourself from hospital against your doctor's wishes. Your discharge will be labelled AMA (against medical advice).

Nurse may be male, one of Boris's two nurses was a Portuguese male. Now a grab like that might be a big mistake.

They named the nurses at the press conference, all sounded female.

Any number of things.

1. He completely stole the news cycle for 24+ hours.
    2. He can avoid the press so no questions about the Proud boys for a few days but he can make stunts like his trip in the car.
    3. In a few days he'll re-appear victorious: "I am the toughest president in history / I dismantled the failed Obamacare and my plan cured me" etc etc

I know. It was a basic analogy. And a bad cold can feel as bad as the flu, but people sometimes say "Ive a touch of the flu", er no, you have a cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,155 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

In the states, you have the legal right to discharge yourself from hospital against your doctor's wishes. Your discharge will be labelled AMA (against medical advice).

The biggest risk for him doing this is if he has a relapse, which happens regularly with COVID, it will look even worse for him to be helicoptered back to the hospital

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,300 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

The WH is full of Covid patients, what's another. He might as well be at home. Will he stop infecting people while there, probably not, that's the only issue, no discipline to isolate

They named the nurses at the press conference, all sounded female.

Any number of things.

2. He can avoid the press so no questions about the Proud boys for a few days but he can make stunts like his trip in the car.
    3. In a few days he'll re-appear victorious: "I am the toughest president in history / I dismantled the failed Obamacare and my plan cured me" etc etc

I know. It was a basic analogy. And a bad cold can feel as bad as the flu, but people sometimes say "Ive a touch of the flu", er no, you have a cold.

He has , but it's been universally negative and the polling supports that.

60%+ said that if Trump had taken the whole thing more seriously he wouldn't have gotten infected. That included 50% of Republican voters.

Any number of things.

1. Stealing the news cycle through catching a deadly virus where you had to be given experimental drugs, had to be given oxygen, your team was found to have lied about it, and you infected others.
    2. When he is behind in the polls he needs to be campaigning, not locked in a hospital. They were doing everything they could to switch attention away from COVID and now it is all people are talking about.
    3. Unless his plan is for every American to be given military helicopter rides to the best hospital in the country, to have an army of doctors, and a large suite then I don't know what you're talking about. This is a terrible look for him to try to campaign on, the Democrats must be drooling about releasing ads about him paying $750 in taxes and getting this care while he wants to take away healthcare from the american people.

According to his doctors, Trump is pumped full of nearly every COVID medication. He may feel like he can go campaigning now but it very likely he will be back feeling like death once he comes off the medication

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

The VP debate will be entertaining at least.
    Mike Pence head of the corona virus task force.
    How's that going.

• Advertisement

20Cent wrote: »
    How's that going.

If his primary task was to be the only person in Washington who doesn't end up infected, might just about imagine it.

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    He has , but it's been universally negative and the polling supports that.

60%+ said that if Trump had taken the whole thing more seriously he wouldn't have gotten infected. That included 50% of Republican voters.

I'm theorising what the objective was. The outcome has been different.

In his eyes there is no such thing as bad publicity, so long as people are talking about him, job done.

20Cent wrote: »
    How's that going.

As always, Pence will be speaking to an audience of 1 during the debate.

He is going to tie himself in knots trying to claim Trump couldn't have done anything better for the last 4 years.

Hopefully Kamala doesn't get too concerned about her likeability and goes for him

I think Pence was in TV before politics and Harris was a prosecutor, so it will be a very interesting sparring match.

I think Pence was in TV before politics and Harris was a prosecutor, so it will be a very interesting sparring match.

He was a talk-radio host prior to his Political career as far as I know , but yes.. He has plenty of media experience..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,730 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

per AP, doctors will be meeting w/press to talk about Trump release from hospital later this afternoon.

I think he'll get out tomorrow (Tuesday). The Covid parade was just to push the doctors around, realistically. It was the #IMPOTUS reminding them he can do whatever he wants.

Kayleigh McEnany the latest to get the virus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    He was a talk-radio host prior to his Political career as far as I know , but yes.. He has plenty of media experience..

Jaysus, you'd expect him to have a bit more of a personality having been a talk-radio host in his past life.

He always appears so dull and one-dimensional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Trump leaving at 6:30pm,

Still on a course of medication and steroids that require hospitalised setting.

Has said people need to not let Coronavirus dominate their lives, in a country with nearly 210K deaths from the virus.

Dems need to rip this clown.

• Advertisement

Jaysus, you'd expect him to have a bit more of a personality having been a talk-radio host in his past life.

He always appears so dull and one-dimensional.

There have been quite a few discussions on the difference between "Mike Pence - Radio Host" and "Mike Pence - Politician".

As a radio host , he wasn't quite Rush Limbaugh , but he was certainly far more animated and aggressive then he is today

He did "find God" in between the two careers which might explain some of it , but either his radio host persona was an act or his politician persona is.

Either way , smacks of dishonesty to my mind.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement