Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,155 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Foxtrol wrote: »
    3. Unless his plan is for every American to be given military helicopter rides to the best hospital in the country, to have an army of doctors, and a large suite then I don't know what you're talking about. This is a terrible look for him to try to campaign on, the Democrats must be drooling about releasing ads about him paying $750 in taxes and getting this care while he wants to take away healthcare from the american people.

So he was actually stupid enough to go down the route I noted earlier, that the Democrats would have only wished for. This comes across so out of touch and supports every negative ad that has been and will be released on Trump and COVID.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1313186529058136070?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

As always, Pence will be speaking to an audience of 1 during the debate.

He is going to tie himself in knots trying to claim Trump couldn't have done anything better for the last 4 years.

Hopefully Kamala doesn't get too concerned about her likeability and goes for him

Eventually, it will be too close to the election for Trump to do anything about Trump. Pence was nominated by the GOP to run so they would have to meet to remove him from ticket, i guess.

I'd say he'd be save enough from Trump at least from now on and can start appealing to a wider audience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,142 ✭✭✭✭briany

So, will Trump be in form to do a Zoom/Skype townhall debate next week, I wonder?

briany wrote: »
    So, will Trump be in form to do a Zoom/Skype townhall debate next week, I wonder?

Despite being pumped full of every drug known to man up we still haven't seen him speak for more than 2 minutes (with one video clearly altered to cut out coughing).

I might end up surprised but I don't believe he'll be speaking live for a while (especially when he likely hasnt even made it to the worst part of the illness).

Despite being pumped full of every drug known to man up we still haven't seen him speak for more than 2 minutes (with one video clearly altered to cut out coughing).

I might end up surprised but I don't believe he'll be speaking live for a while (especially when he likely hasnt even made it to the worst part of the illness).

RSBN are doing a live stream near the hospital right now. Now, RSBN are a *very* pro-Trump youtube channel, so what they're saying could easily be hyperbole, but I heard them mention something about a press conference later on. I agree that it would be harder to fake well-being in a live appearance if he's not feeling as well as he's indicating in his tweets. We'll see how that develops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,618 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I said before the last debate that after he loses it (which he did) an excuse would be made for him to skip the next two debates. Trump now has his perfect excuse to run and hide from debating Biden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,730 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I said before the last debate that after he loses it (which he did) an excuse would be made for him to skip the next two debates. Trump now has his perfect excuse to run and hide from debating Biden.

yep, so the media and opponents can drill him on taxes again, and now take him to task about the incredibly expensive health care he got for his $750/year in income tax. And, those great drugs as he has advocated should now be made available widely to all serious Covid victims, using the crack American health care system he's upgraded under his watch...wait.. .none of that will happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭RickBlaine

"Don’t be afraid of Covid"

Jesus, what an absolute tool! I hope the Democrats and The Lincoln Project will seriously take him to task on this for the next month.

That wouldn't really make sense. I mean, it *would* make sense with a normal person, but this is Trump, who is obsessed, and I mean obsessed with looking strong. So for him to say that he couldn't debate due to his sickness would contravene the noises he's currently making.

What he could do, though, is call for the live debates to go ahead, but Biden would refuse, given it wouldn't have even been 14 days since Trump's diagnoses. Trump goes on Twitter and says Biden's afraid to debate and is using Trump's Covid (which he will say he has totally beaten) as an excuse to run away.

That wouldn't really make sense. I mean, it *would* make sense with a normal person, but this is Trump, who is obsessed, and I mean obsessed with looking strong. So for him to say that he couldn't debate due to his sickness would contravene the noises he's currently making.

What he could do, though, is call for the live debates to go ahead, but Biden would refuse, given it wouldn't have even been 14 days since Trump's diagnoses. Trump goes on Twitter and says Biden's afraid to debate and is using Trump's Covid (which he will say he has totally beaten) as an excuse to run away.

He may fo the "following doctors/scientific advice and to help stop the spread of covid it has been agreed to cancel the last two debates"

He would probably throw in some excuse about protecting "sleepy joe" from it because he isn't the manly man that Trump is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,640 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The Debate Commission should be the arbiters of when it would be safe to have another debate, not Trump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,870 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Strong rumours that Don Jr thinks dad has perhaps had a little too much dexamethasone to be on twitter.
    The president’s recklessness at Walter Reed has Don Jr. pushing for an intervention, but Ivanka and Jared “keep telling Trump how great he’s doing,” a source says.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/10/don-jr-thinks-trump-is-acting-crazy-presidents-covid-joyride-has-family-divided

The question that needs to be asked and answered is whether or not Don is discharging himself against medical advice?
    Or if the docs have discharged a person on the meds he is as fit to be outside hospital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭RickBlaine

banie01 wrote: »
    Strong rumours that Don Jr thinks dad has perhaps had a little too much dexamethasone to be on twitter.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/10/don-jr-thinks-trump-is-acting-crazy-presidents-covid-joyride-has-family-divided

The question that needs to be asked and answered is whether or not Don is discharging himself against medical advice?
    Or if the docs have discharged a person on the meds he is as fit to be outside hospital.

A quick Google informs me that the side effects of Dexamethasone include anxiety and restlessness. That might explain the absolute truck load of all caps Tweets he sent out earlier today.

Mood swings, was the first on the list I saw.
    Dr. Conley is a bit of a gomme, listening to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭blackcard

There is a certain irony in the demands of Trump that Joe Biden should be drug tested before the debate. Trump is now on a cocktail of drugs that in his own words make him feel better than any time in the last 20 years

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

This thing about him "going home" and being discharged is a bit bogus I think. There are medical facilities in the White House as well, he is going from one hospital to another for all intents and purposes. Just makes the image that he has beaten it and is back home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

It's all spin and optics. I know a guy who was your typical "indispensable" director and came down with Covid back in March, after pushing himself to the limit. It was quite remarkable to hear Boris Johnson coming out with all the same phrases as his condition progressed, and we're getting the same thing from Trump. After his week of saying "yeah, I'm grand", the guy I know deteriorated rapidly (same as Johnson), and ended up on oxygen and a heap of drugs but as the hospitals in the area were saturated, he was treated at home for the full duration of his illness.

So I wouldn't read too much into Trump being allowed return to the White House. What happens later this week, or early next week, will be the interesting thing though. If he follows Johnson's example, it's going to be really, really, really bad optics for him to be taken out of the WH again, maybe on a stretcher this time. Or worse - he'll go all out to get into the next debate with Biden, get himself all worked up like last time, and collapse in front of the cameras.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,830 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Water John wrote: »
    The Debate Commission should be the arbiters of when it would be safe to have another debate, not Trump.

Agreed. Trump's team will have to factor in what might happen during a live debate now, if he get's excited as usual and has a turn due to exposure to the virus and the drug cocktail. As posted earlier here, one of his sons is taking that into regard.

The commission can make an offer to Trump, Biden and both parties to hold the debates by link to avoid a stand-up barney like the last debate. If the worst happened on the night, there'd be hell to pay. If Trump rejects the offer, the commission should have him put it in writing witnessed by Barr, the document placed on the record in the Library of Congress.

Ta to eire4... Edit: Umm, seems the commission is not an independent body when it comes to sorting out the where's and why-fors for the debates. That might explain why Moderator Wallace found it impossible to rein in Trump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,059 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The steroids when they wear off will be interesting. There's alot left to play out. And his bravado about leaving the hospital could be his undoing.

Will he risk the debate though, look at the crap they threw Clinton's way when she had a cough, imagine if he goes into a mad coughing fit halfway through answering a question, it would definitely be the end of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭eire4

aloyisious wrote: »
    Agreed. Trump's team will have to factor in what might happen during a live debate now, if he get's excited as usual and has a turn due to exposure to the virus and the drug cocktail. As posted earlier here, one of his sons is taking that into regard.

The commission can make an offer to Trump, Biden and both parties to hold the debates by link to avoid a stand-up barney like the last debate. If the worst happened on the night, there'd be hell to pay. If Trump rejects the offer, the commission should have him put it in writing witnessed by Barr, the document placed on the record in the Library of Congress.

Just as an FYI the so called debate commission is not some neutral body. It is a corporation wholly owned by the Republican and Democratic parties. They won't be making any offers to both parties as they are both parties. The only offers they are likely to make would be to the donors they take money from but refuse to disclose.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Will he risk the debate though, look at the crap they threw Clinton's way when she had a cough, imagine if he goes into a mad coughing fit halfway through answering a question, it would definitely be the end of him.

They could put him in a big plastic bubble on his own. It would be a shame if they forgot to put an air vent in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

TBF, Trump does seem to have lived an incredibly healthy (as in no serious illness) life, so it is entirely plausible that COVID has had only minor effects on him. Coupled of course with the world class medical response and access to the drugs he got.

But I am not overly surprised that he comes out of this largely untouched, physically.

What is not untouched is that it has brought home just how reckless he has been with both himself, his staff and the whole country.

He needs to be winning over voters, and I cannot see how this is going to help in any way in that regard. Even the Sleepy Joe hiding in his basement is no longer useable (although of course he will continue to try) as Biden has been shown to be the more correct of the two.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    TBF, Trump does seem to have lived an incredibly healthy (as in no serious illness) life, so it is entirely plausible that COVID has had only minor effects on him. Coupled of course with the world class medical response and access to the drugs he got.

But I am not overly surprised that he comes out of this largely untouched, physically.

What is not untouched is that it has brought home just how reckless he has been with both himself, his staff and the whole country.

He needs to be winning over voters, and I cannot see how this is going to help in any way in that regard. Even the Sleepy Joe hiding in his basement is no longer useable (although of course he will continue to try) as Biden has been shown to be the more correct of the two.

The fact he needed oxygen at least twice in the last 3 days, is still taking very serious medications, his doctors continue to refuse to say what are in his lung tests, and he hasn't done any live media since Friday don't point to it having only 'minor effects' on him.

Maybe he is a unique case but no evidence points to that yet.

They could put him in a big plastic bubble on his own. It would be a shame if they forgot to put an air vent in it.

Maybe a zorb ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Water John wrote: »
    Maybe a zorb ball.

The spectacle of Trump wheezing, coughing and spluttering as he tried to make his point would be a defining moment in any debate. Plus, if I were Biden, I would demand he wear a mask, visor, gown and gloves. Just to be safe, of course.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

This is a key consideration - Will he be capable of talking (ranting) for ~90 minutes straight.

I tend to pick at least 1 chest infection most winters and for several weeks afterwards even when feeling fully healthy and well I'd still be prone to the odd coughing fit when speaking for more than a few continuous minutes.

Like you say , the optics of him doing anything more than even the a vague throat clear even once during the debate would be absolute game over.

Even if they hopped him up on cough suppressants there'd still be no guarantee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

So he was actually stupid enough to go down the route I noted earlier, that the Democrats would have only wished for. This comes across so out of touch and supports every negative ad that has been and will be released on Trump and COVID.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1313186529058136070?s=20

Jesus, saying something like that after 200,000+ people have died from it is a seriously tone deaf thing to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1313257137599111169?s=20

Thus is what has just happened.
    He arrives off Marine One and takes his mask off at the top of the steps.
    Visibly struggling to breath.
    He's a H&S risk right now..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement