Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,830 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I'm watching him as he get's to the balcony and takes off his mask to salute the copter crew. He's in suit and tie only it seems. The copter then takes off on cue. The balcony doors are open behind him with people moving around inside. He's home from hospital to go into quarantine and respite from the virus. One thing about copters is the rotor blades turmoil the air for yards around, the flags and his hair are caught by it, as would his exhaled breath. The cameras catch him breathing in and out while he's on the balcony waiting for the copter to take off. I hope the people in his 20/30+ foot radius are wearing masks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,640 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I agree Al his breathing looked laboured having climbed the steps, an act of bravado, as he usually uses the lower doors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Rudy Giuliani is currently coughing and spluttering on FOX, I've only recovered from laughing.

These self-righteous animals have no respect for anyone.

Trump returned to the WH spluttering his Covid around the place. Reminds me of Typhoid Mary, call him Covid Trump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Rudy Giuliani is currently coughing and spluttering on FOX, I've only recovered from laughing.

These self-righteous animals have no respect for anyone.

Total ****-show

• Advertisement

Rudy's spokesperson says he was tested two hours before the show and is awaiting results after the host ended the interview and said ''I hope that cough isn't anything serious...' :p

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1313267783120105472?s=20

Don Jr. (shock) is raising concerns about his father's behaviour. More on the conservative based Drudge Report.

https://twitter.com/oliverdarcy/status/1313273341118160898?s=20

• Subscribers Posts: 41,740 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Looks like president covid has turned from a virus denier to a virus lover, and doing everything he can to spread it.

What a wonderful virus he is....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Theres deffinitely a divide in trumpland it seems

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/10/don-jr-thinks-trump-is-acting-crazy-presidents-covid-joyride-has-family-divided

The Family has a history of ignoring and making light of serious diseases and tbh it sounds like a serious case of his kids being afraid of the reaction of telling truth to power. They are all cowardly and deathly afraid of being put on the outside.
    Every day Fred Sr. would go to the office in Brooklyn and they would give him blank papers to sort through and sign. The phone on Fred’s desk was set up so that it could only dial out to his secretary. “Fred pretended to work,” the family friend said.

I thought the above was particularly interesting considering the picture of Trump signing blank pages in walter reid the other day..... I wonder if were getting close to a modern day case similar to Woodrow Wilson where his wife and doctors were effectively secretly running the country

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Trump: "I know there is a risk, but that's OK"

It's OK (kind of) for there to be a risk to his health in returning to "work" as that is his problem. Although it's actually bigger than that as his health is important for the nation what with him being president.

Still complete denial though that there is risks to other people from him. It's one thing to risk yourself, quite another to put others at risk who don't have a say in the matter such as the people employed by the state to keep him safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Detritus70

That's what Trump does, sow division in every single thing he does. He could divide the nation over eating a sandwich.
    No subject can ever be a matter for civilised discussion, everything is total dogma.
    If anyone doesn't agree, they're immediately the enemy and deserve nothing but scorn and ridicule.
    And so fundamentalists will always tear each other apart at some point, it is just inevitable.
    When you get a bunch of quarehawks doing anything that demands cooperation, the end result is always the same.
    Trump is getting more and more extremist, that means he is not gaining new support, in fact he is losing it.
    Biden just needs to go for broad appeal and target the right states.
    It's like a game of golf where one guy is flailing around wildly, throwing clubs and cursing at the officials and the other guy just calmly playing.
    My theory is, if you go for fully blown cult leader (and it is idiotic to suggest Trump is anything else), you don't have mass appeal.

Fully Automated Luxury Gay Space Communism

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

The pageantry of that last night, assuming his gasping for air and I hear, retaking a shot of him taking of the mask triumphantly won't be amplified on his own side of the aisle or on state TV so it will likely re-enforce him with his base as their big golden god.

I don't understand yet how nobody has been able to make the point that this base is not enough to win an election, but I don't mind it. Leave him at that stuff. That they have decided not to contact trace regarding the party they had for the nominee and are keeping the CDC out of it is the real story of course that will be buried. Not to mention him being positive for longer than they are saying and the wanton carelessness to other people's health that brings with it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, a good portion of the electorate over there are lost, but it would be for their benefit as much as anyone elses that he loses in November. Not long to go now thankfully.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So in Ireland, we just spent a nerve wracking 24 hours where the country wondered if it had to go back into "full", Level 5 lockdown 'cos of spiralling cases. The decision not to may yet prove to be the wrong move but by all accounts, one way or another, we are handling the isssue directly with all the seriousness that it demands. I don't rate Martin as a Taoiseach and think he's bungling his way, but it's not that he isn't trying.

In that time, Trump is released from hospital having had the world's best doctors fawn and give him undivided attention while the rest of us stew. Watching that clip of this version of Trump, recently (still?) infected by CoVid, rip his mask off so he can salute and posture in fornt of the camera... coupled with his minification of the threat, that it's "nothing to be afraid of" ... well, to say it annoys me is an understatement. What a grotesque, selfish self-absorbed man. Truly adversity doesn't have the automatic capacity to humble any person because here Trump is, preening like the Big Man he thinks he is. Hundreds of thousands of people Trump ostensibly serves remain wracked by worry and stress, and he treats it like ... haha, a "nothingburger".

The "They're all the same" crowd can go take a short walk at this stage. I hope the courts take him to the cleaners. I'd never wish ill health or death on anyone, but I wish him poverty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

What gets me is that all those that were crying out for people to have sympathy and empathy for Trump when the news of his positive test broke, will be the same people now applauding Trump coming out claiming that all you need is self belief and the will to beat and it and COVID is not a problem, "nothing to be afraid of".

Screw the 210k+ people that have died, screw the many that have suffered but not died. Screw the friends and families that ost loved ones that couldn't say goodbye, or the millions that lost jobs with no safety net.

Seems empathy, like much to do with Trump, is purely a one way street.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

When you think this administration surely cant sink any lower, it does...and then some. Im stunned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

This is real "downfall" stuff we're seeing at the moment.

He is clearly not well. Nobody can see that video of him and conclude he's doing OK.

The steroid Trump is being treated with - dexamethasone - is a strong one, with common side effects being manic episodes, paranoia, altered thinking, etc.

Where we previously would have had someone who at least had a decent innate sense for pageantry, it's obvious that he's now a confused mess. He's insisted on moving himself back to the White House to make it appear like he's fine and he's working (sickness is weakness), and is ignoring all medical and professional advice on how to conduct himself.

So instead of a sickening but at least well-managed performance in his return to the White House, we get this chaotic madness.

He's going to kill himself for the sake of his ego.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭RickBlaine

I wonder if the image of their leader Trump struggling to breath and wincing in pain would finally force the antimask republicans and Trump supporters to realise how dangerious the virus actually is.

https://twitter.com/littledarkone4/status/1313297394998673410?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,870 ✭✭✭✭banie01

RickBlaine wrote: »
    I wonder if the image of their leader Trump struggling to breathe and wincing in pain would finally force the antimask Republicans and Trump supporters to realise how dangerous the virus actually is.

https://twitter.com/littledarkone4/status/1313297394998673410?s=20

It goes to his Doctors refusal to discuss the imaging results IMO.
    Be it viral pneumonia or any other of the myriad shíte that covid can wreak on the lungs...
    Because of HIPAA, the Docs won't share on Trump's instruction.

I had pneumonia as a fit and healthy 22y.o, it was excruciating. I was in the most physically demanding job of my life, I worked through it for a couple of days before collapse.
    I could have stood and looked "strong" but when the drugs wear off, I'd pay for it.
    If Trump supporters over the last month alone cant accept that there is no substance to their demagogue, that they are wrapt in a pharaonic cult of personality...

The US could well be lost to its lowest common denominator, it really is like reading the start os a dystopian nightmare novel.

I had no doubt even watching it last night in real time that he was catching his breath and oxygen depleted. Walking up the steps was as stupid as it gets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Was there anyone near him when this mask was taken off? I don't see any scientific guidance which supports wearing a mask when by oneself in private spaces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Was there anyone near him when this mask was taken off? I don't see any scientific guidance which supports wearing a mask when by oneself in private spaces.

He walked inside with it still off and its also massively about the visual it sends to his supporters many of whom will see him removing the mask as symbolic confirmation of their mistaken belief that masks aren't necessary.

Also gotta love the irony if he hadnt removed his mask i doubt we would have seen or noticed his labored breathing being as bad as it was, his vanity screwed him in several ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

He turned around and walked through the open doors behind him without putting his mask back on.
    He is not in a private space either. It's a workspace for hundreds of people. Many would have been working in the area entered when he went inside.
    The man is a deluded egomaniac.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Yes - There is a cameraman standing on the balcony with him and he is clearly seen walking in to the building , without his mask with multiple people in the doorway.

He did this several times over as they were recording him returning to the WH , presumably for a campaign video, so he walked in and out several times with at least a half a dozen people milling around him.

And more importantly - Him leaving the mask on would be a statement that he has actually learned something from this.

It could and should have been a message to the country to say "This is serious , I get it now".

Instead what you got was infantile bravado and a message that says "I learned nothing".

His base will love it , everyone else will be appalled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I don't see any scientific guidance which supports wearing a mask when by oneself in private spaces.
    Im not sure the President has the luxury of "private spaces" while in office.

Even when in bed with their spouse or taking a crap, there's at least one bodyguard a few metres away.

It's a crap situation, but this is what you get with the office.

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Yes - There is a cameraman standing on the balcony with him and he is clearly seen walking in to the building , without his mask with multiple people in the doorway.

He did this several times over as they were recording him returning to the WH , presumably for a campaign video, so he walked in and out several times with at least a half a dozen people milling around him.

And more importantly - Him leaving the mask on would be a statement that he has actually learned something from this.

It could and should have been a message to the country to say "This is serious , I get it now".

Instead what you got was infantile bravado and a message that says "I learned nothing".

His base will love it , everyone else will be appalled.

The video of Marine One landing on the lawn has been set to dramatic, inspiring music, so definitely a campaign video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

It's just remarkable how he always manages to pick the most obnoxious, most crass, most ignorant, most incompetent, most inconsiderate, most lazy, most careless, most reckless, most feckless, most stupid course of action at *EVERY* turn. It's kind of a superpower.

Even unintentionally the biggest eejit would do the right thing, or something respectable, appropriate, or considerate the odd time.

Not once has he managed it.

Incredible.

check_six wrote: »
    It's just remarkable how he always manages to pick the most obnoxious, most crass, most ignorant, most incompetent, most inconsiderate, most lazy, most careless, most reckless, most feckless, most stupid course of action at *EVERY* turn. It's kind of a superpower.

Even unintentionally the biggest eejit would do the right thing, or something respectable, appropriate, or considerate the odd time.

Incredible.

I called it on this thread a few days ago that he would re-emerge a few days later victorious. "I beat the virus, I'm the most resilient President ever etc".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

check_six wrote: »

Incredible.

Even a stopped clock would be better so to speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Trump is where he is because he is surrounded by enablers who have allowed this situation to arise.

Even if he is an obese 74 walking up two flights of stairs he was still visibly laboured in his breathing or at least he was trying to nose breathe and resisting the temptation to mouth breath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

The part I'm most intrigued about is what Trump and his campaign staff are going to say if the polls actually turn out to be true and he gets a pasting.

Are they really going to go down the fraud line in such a scenario and call the entire democratic system of the Country into question? Will the GOP allow that even in such a scenario?

Everything I've seen of Trump tells me he is not going to go quietly into the night.

Just hope Biden keeps one foot in front of the other for the remainder of the run in. Hammer Trump on the easy wins and don't take any unnecessary risks. They don't need to at this stage. Keep the ship steady and moving forward.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement