Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The part I'm most intrigued about is what Trump and his campaign staff are going to say if the polls actually turn out to be true and he gets a pasting.

Are they really going to go down the fraud line in such a scenario and call the entire democratic system of the Country into question? Will the GOP allow that even in such a scenario?

Everything I've seen of Trump tells me he is not going to go quietly into the night.

Just hope Biden keeps one foot in front of the other for the remainder of the run in. Hammer Trump on the easy wins and don't take any unnecessary risks. They don't need to at this stage. Keep the ship steady and moving forward.

A lot depends on the margin of victory.

If it's close then yes , they will absolutely go down the fraud route looking to have votes discounted and results overturned.

However if the actual margin was close to the current polling then a lot of those pathways are closed off and questioning the legitimacy of a 10 point winning margin becomes a very very hard sell , even to skewed Supreme court if it got there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

The part I'm most intrigued about is what Trump and his campaign staff are going to say if the polls actually turn out to be true and he gets a pasting.

Are they really going to go down the fraud line in such a scenario and call the entire democratic system of the Country into question? Will the GOP allow that even in such a scenario?

Everything I've seen of Trump tells me he is not going to go quietly into the night.

Just hope Biden keeps one foot in front of the other for the remainder of the run in. Hammer Trump on the easy wins and don't take any unnecessary risks. They don't need to at this stage. Keep the ship steady and moving forward.

There is no reason to think that the polls aren't right, or given that they are polls and subject to MoE that they are not in the ballpark.

Trumps insistence that the system is rigged, totally corrupted by fraud and that the increase in mail-in ballots means the entire system is useless, was the laying of the groundwork for the excuses.

He did exactly the same in 2016 but he didn't need to follow through as he won. It will be Florida 2000 on steroids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,640 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Trump will always say it was rigged if he loses. If by a smallish margin enough to go to the courts, if large still say it to delude himself and his cult supporters.
    He will never admit he was beaten fairly if that happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,728 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I wish they were cheaper. I wish I could get one in Ireland. It'll be a treasure I'd hold forever.

Trump defeats Covid coins now available in the WH Gift Shop. You can't make this up.

https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in-the-know/519745-white-house-gift-shop-selling-trump-defeats-covid-commemorative

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Igotadose wrote: »
    I wish they were cheaper. I wish I could get one in Ireland. It'll be a treasure I'd hold forever.

Trump defeats Covid coins now available in the WH Gift Shop. You can't make this up.

https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in-the-know/519745-white-house-gift-shop-selling-trump-defeats-covid-commemorative

Thankfully the white house gift shop mentioned in the article is not affiliated with the actual White House and seems to be a private business.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

VinLieger wrote: »
    Thankfully the white house gift shop mentioned in the article is not affiliated with the actual White House and seems to be a private business.

It used to be , but like a lot of things it was privatised a while ago..

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    It used to be , but like a lot of things it was privatised a while ago..

God reading the history of how it came to be on its website is hard, they are VERY full of themselves for simply obtaining a trademark. Also the website itself is hot garbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

In retrospect, they missed a trick by not issuing GW Bush "Mission Accomplished" coins. They'd be worth a fortune! But hopefully the Trump covid coins will have the same irony value in years to come.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Some of the other coins they have available are even more daft.

Coins to commemorate Israel naming a village after Trump, to commemorate him going for a walk across the NK border and even to commemorate him managing to get away with the impeachment!?!

Unless Biden wins by a land slide, I don't see Donald conceding the election. Instead he'll lawyer up, claim electoral fraud. Like everything involving him, expect drama at every turn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,728 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

robinph wrote: »
    Some of the other coins they have available are even more daft.

Coins to commemorate Israel naming a village after Trump, to commemorate him going for a walk across the NK border and even to commemorate him managing to get away with the impeachment!?!

And the shipping is brutal! $57 for USPS, over $100 for everything else. Ireland was on the pulldown as "Republic of Ireland"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭Christy42

And the shipping is brutal! $57 for USPS, over $100 for everything else. Ireland was on the pulldown as "Republic of Ireland"

Gotta get as much cash out this white house trip as possible. Donald has a lot of debt to cover the next few years. Funnelling tax payer money into Maro Lago will only do so much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

A lot depends on the margin of victory.

If it's close then yes , they will absolutely go down the fraud route looking to have votes discounted and results overturned.

However if the actual margin was close to the current polling then a lot of those pathways are closed off and questioning the legitimacy of a 10 point winning margin becomes a very very hard sell , even to skewed Supreme court if it got there.

It could depend on the size of the victory parade he throws on the day after the election. I'm half expecting a flotilla of militia loolahs and possibly actual US military hardware and soldiers to be ordered to roll through Washington DC to celebrate the (as yet undecided) 'win'.

When he complains about electoral fraud I wonder if he is including all the deeply deeply shady but somehow just about legal activities the GOP are carrying out to suppress voters. I still can't understand how any of those are tolerated in any kind of mature democracy, it's pure banana republic stuff.

I presume because of the usual projection he perpetually utilizes there is a good chance that there are other even more nefarious plots being put into action too. The usual incompetence would probably lead to some kind of farcical hijinks where we accidentally witness Rudy Giuliani and Bill Barr dousing ballot boxes in petrol live on air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭eire4

check_six wrote: »
    It could depend on the size of the victory parade he throws on the day after the election. I'm half expecting a flotilla of militia loolahs and possibly actual US military hardware and soldiers to be ordered to roll through Washington DC to celebrate the (as yet undecided) 'win'.

When he complains about electoral fraud I wonder if he is including all the deeply deeply shady but somehow just about legal activities the GOP are carrying out to suppress voters. I still can't understand how any of those are tolerated in any kind of mature democracy, it's pure banana republic stuff.

I presume because of the usual projection he perpetually utilizes there is a good chance that there are other even more nefarious plots being put into action too. The usual incompetence would probably lead to some kind of farcical hijinks where we accidentally witness Rudy Giuliani and Bill Barr dousing ballot boxes in petrol live on air.

I think you can be certain that whatever about the things they are up to that we know about that the president and his enablers in the Republican party are engaging in all sorts of shady dealings that we wo not know about as we speak. The only thing I am certain of is that the president knows he is losing right now and that just means he will try even more extreme methods legal, slightly legal, illegal and out right criminal to avoid defeat and the Republican party being at best a semi-democratic party now is quite happy to go along with all this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭RickBlaine

RickBlaine wrote: »
    I wonder if the image of their leader Trump struggling to breath and wincing in pain would finally force the antimask republicans and Trump supporters to realise how dangerious the virus actually is.

https://twitter.com/littledarkone4/status/1313297394998673410?s=20

OK to be fair, that wincing in pain is actually a half smile to the people below him which can be seen in clearer footage from another angle.

The labored breathing still looks pretty bad though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,870 ✭✭✭✭banie01

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1313267143232942081?s=19

Leni Riefenstahl and The Triumph of the will spring to mind.
    Facist propaganda and a complete admission of thrall to the cult of personality.

banie01 wrote: »

Facist propaganda and a complete admission of thrall to the cult of personality.

Looks like the start of the 3rd act of a michael bay movie which is exactly what they were going for to get his stupid infantile supporters revved up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Say what you will, and Jesus h Christ you can say a lot but the man knows his audience and is absolutely dedicated to continuing the showbiz presidency.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,870 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Say what you will, and Jesus h Christ you can say a lot but the man knows his audience and is absolutely dedicated to continuing the showbiz presidency.

Unfortunately for a Country where money buys excellence in education, far too many are poor.
    It's shocking the effect that local taxes funding k12 education has had on vast swathes of America.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Thanks to the Electoral College, it doesn't matter if the polls are right and he gets a pasting, as long as the polls are tight enough in the "right" states. In the same was as he cherry-picked his Covid data to show how "blue" states were the worst affected, even while the pandemic was raging out of control in a much more aggressive way in the "red" states, he'll ignore any landslide Biden victories and argue the toss in every state where he thinks he can push the fraud narrative and get away with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭amandstu

banie01 wrote: »

I assumed you were going to show us some fascist archive material . It took me a couple of seconds to realize what it was.

Feel dirty now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,830 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

According to U.S news agencies, Trump tweeted a short while back [within the past hour] that he had instructed Steve Mnuchin and other aides to stop negotiating on the Covid-19 stimulus package until; after the election. I'm not on twitter so don't know what Trump may have written lately on his twitter account. If the account is true, he's still trying to tell the U.S public and the world that he and the GOP will win the election for them to be able to re-start the stimulus negotiations after the election. It would also infer that for the moment he's throwing the closed businesses, their owners and their ex-workers under the bus en-masse.

Mr Mnuchin spoke on the 1/9/2020 about how Trump still wants a deal on Covid relief. Mnuchin and Speaker Pelosi were still negotiating on the issue, though according to news stories there was disagreement on one issue between them in the talks.

He's also supposed to have told McConnell to get the USSC nominee confirmed ASAP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,519 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Does Trump have any ability to influence the electoral college directly? So that even if a state votes democrat overall the electoral votes go to him? Is that possible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,830 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Does Trump have any ability to influence the electoral college directly? So that even if a state votes democrat overall the electoral votes go to him? Is that possible?

Don't know about his ability to affect any state's electoral college vote, but yes it can go to him even when the popular vote goes to Biden.

The short answer is no.

The long answer is - Maybe.

He will challenge any tight results locally first, with poll watchers etc. looking to have votes excluded for a multitude of minor technical infractions. He'll demand recounts where ever he can repeatedly.

When that doesn't work , he'll start working his way through the courts trying to leverage even the most inconsequential things as evidence of wholesale election fraud and he will take it all the way to the Supreme court where his hope is that his soon to be three Supreme court Justices will honour the marker he thinks they owe him and hand him a win.

The only real defence against this scenario is an utter rout in the Election for Biden , which on the basis of current poling is absolutely on the cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So now it’s the press secretary and four of the staffers in her team. I see that the joint chiefs of staff are quarantining because they were a close contact of some higher up who was at the bloody White House event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

aloyisious wrote: »
    According to U.S news agencies, Trump tweeted a short while back [within the past hour] that he had instructed Steve Mnuchin and other aides to stop negotiating on the Covid-19 stimulus package until; after the election. I'm not on twitter so don't know what Trump may have written lately on his twitter account. If the account is true, he's still trying to tell the U.S public and the world that he and the GOP will win the election for them to be able to re-start the stimulus negotiations after the election. It would also infer that for the moment he's throwing the closed businesses, their owners and their ex-workers under the bus en-masse.

Mr Mnuchin spoke on the 1/9/2020 about how Trump still wants a deal on Covid relief. Mnuchin and Speaker Pelosi were still negotiating on the issue, though according to news stories there was disagreement on one issue between them in the talks.

He's also supposed to have told McConnell to get the USSC nominee confirmed ASAP.

Yes he tweeted that there’s no deal “until after I win” election. I mean so basically he’s holding up a deal for Americans who through no fault of their own have lost their jobs or are sick with covid because he’s thrown the toys out of the Pram.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Zero empathy.
    Zero

Stock market took a big dive thanks to his tantrum as well, like others suggested the only reason i can see for doing this is to **** Biden over when he wins.
    Does he actually think holding people hostage will get them to vote for him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,141 ✭✭✭✭briany

When that doesn't work , he'll start working his way through the courts trying to leverage even the most inconsequential things as evidence of wholesale election fraud and he will take it all the way to the Supreme court where his hope is that his soon to be three Supreme court Justices will honour the marker he thinks they owe him and hand him a win.

Surely he'd run out of luck on that count. Personal beliefs of judges is one thing and may inform their judgements in certain cases, but when you start to talk about doing things that are blatantly unconstitutional or stretch legality to its limits, you're into a whole other ball game. You don't even get into the frame for being a supreme court justice without having a respectable track record behind you, such that I could not imagine any of them being sworn in with a wink and a nod and there being a quid pro quo understanding about it all. Once you're in, you are in, and you're entirely free to make judgements as you think are lawful.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement