Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

As I posted somewhere earlier, this man is a clear, present and continuing danger to American lives. He needs to disappear, and fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    The only real defence against this scenario is an utter rout in the Election for Biden , which on the basis of current poling is absolutely on the cards.

We can only hope, but I have a really uneasy feeling that all the voter suppression, possible voter intimidation, and refusal to allow postal votes enough time to be counted will combine to mean that the opinion polls will not be reflected in the result.

Some of the dirty tricks are despicable and grossly undemocratic. There is some trick where if your signature on the day does not precisely match your driver's license signature they can turn you away at the poll, even though your name, photo, and address is on the license! Why would they even need you to sign something to vote? The ludicrously long queue waits are famous in the poorer areas. Like 5, 6, 7 hour waits to vote. Bonkers! I'm struggling to remember ever having to queue at all to vote in Ireland. It's naked disenfranchisement of big chunks of the population. The felons getting stripped of their votes with only an opaque way to recover them is cracked too.

The latest swizz is trying to bring in laws in the swing states that are GOP controlled to the effect that postal votes only get a 24-48 hour window to be counted. Any votes uncounted at that point are binned! I just cannot fathom how a country can even pretend to be democratic if they are not interested in counting all the votes. (Apparently postal votes can take a good bit longer to count even in a 'normal' year).

The saddest part, I think, is that even if there is a landslide across the board for the DNC they are unlikely to make major changes to the voting system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,830 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So now it’s the press secretary and four of the staffers in her team. I see that the joint chiefs of staff are quarantining because they were a close contact of some higher up who was at the bloody White House event.

Ref the chairman of the JCS and the JCS members, it seems they've had tests done yesterday with no signs of Covid-19 but are staying out of their offices as a precaution. The other person is a very high ranking Naval Officer. The incubation period is the wringer for all those tested. They were at the White House Gold Star Families event [25th Sept] days before President Trump and his wife tested positive for the virus. There was a separate candle-lit event for the families at the White House with Melania on the 28th Sept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Right.... :confused:

Stephen Miller aka Neo Nazi has tested positive.

Of course he has so the millers have both had it. What a wonderful conversation starter that we be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

briany wrote: »
    You don't even get into the frame for being a supreme court justice without having a respectable track record behind you, such that I could not imagine any of them being sworn in with a wink and a nod

Unless the GOP needs to get someone confirmed in a hurry, in which case they'll happily nominate someone with almost no experience. A track record of four years? Yeah, grand. Sure she'll have the next forty years to establish her respectability. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Apparently Pences team are fighting against barriers on stage at thr VP debate, their strategy honestly looks to be to try and get Biden infected.... They are horrible disgusting people every single one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,376 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

VinLieger wrote: »
    Apparently Pences team are fighting against barriers on stage at thr VP debate, their strategy honestly looks to be to try and get Biden infected.... They are horrible disgusting people every single one of them.

I’d say it’s more an attempt to have Harris cancel it rather than them. Still an odious thing to do but I’d say it’s just about their level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭Field east

check_six wrote: »
    We can only hope, but I have a really uneasy feeling that all the voter suppression, possible voter intimidation, and refusal to allow postal votes enough time to be counted will combine to mean that the opinion polls will not be reflected in the result.

Some of the dirty tricks are despicable and grossly undemocratic. There is some trick where if your signature on the day does not precisely match your driver's license signature they can turn you away at the poll, even though your name, photo, and address is on the license! Why would they even need you to sign something to vote? The ludicrously long queue waits are famous in the poorer areas. Like 5, 6, 7 hour waits to vote. Bonkers! I'm struggling to remember ever having to queue at all to vote in Ireland. It's naked disenfranchisement of big chunks of the population. The felons getting stripped of their votes with only an opaque way to recover them is cracked too.

The latest swizz is trying to bring in laws in the swing states that are GOP controlled to the effect that postal votes only get a 24-48 hour window to be counted. Any votes uncounted at that point are binned! I just cannot fathom how a country can even pretend to be democratic if they are not interested in counting all the votes. (Apparently postal votes can take a good bit longer to count even in a 'normal' year).

The saddest part, I think, is that even if there is a landslide across the board for the DNC they are unlikely to make major changes to the voting system.

If the above is true, is there not a very clear case for the elections to be supervised by an international body like is done with a
    Number of other countries. I sounds totally unbelievable. I’m ‘ sure’ the Russians would not be too happy with the suggestion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭Field east

Field east wrote: »
    If the above is true, is there not a very clear case for the elections to be supervised by an international body like is done with a
    Number of other countries. I sounds totally unbelievable. I’m ‘ sure’ the Russians would not be too happy with the suggestion!

‘Observed ‘ rather than ‘supervised’ would be a more apt word to use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Stock market took a big dive thanks to his tantrum as well, like others suggested the only reason i can see for doing this is to **** Biden over when he wins.
    Does he actually think holding people hostage will get them to vote for him?

He is back peddling furiously since then. Tweeting that he will pass individual parts as he realises he is screwing millions out of any safety net weeks before an election where he is supposedly standing up for the forgotten.

Yet another, sel inflicted, mistake. This from the man that is supposedly the greatest deal maker ever seen.

His hissy fit, because he needs to compromise, and remembering that its a compromise that will help Americans just not the way he wants, shows that all he cares about is himself. He is quite prepared to gamble on peoples lives to get what he wants.

Massive own goal last night. Crashes the market, using people as pawns in his game, and now having to walk it back bit by bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,693 ✭✭✭✭looksee

https://twitter.com/AnandWrites/status/1312730589515190278
    He hosted a super-spreader event to honor a justice who would have the government control your body but refuse the duty to care for it, and when the virus he helped go around came around, he availed of the healthcare he would deny others, financed by the taxes he refuses to pay.

https://www.msnbc.com/the-last-word/watch/anand-giridharadas-trump-is-the-head-of-the-snake-but-our-whole-culture-needs-a-reckoning-93204549514

This tweet and this interview just sum up the whole Trump story of the last couple of weeks. It isn't saying anything new but it crystalises the events and the complete domination of news by this out of control president.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm always "amused" by the rhtoric of American Christian Conservatives: that they'll fight tooth and nail to preserve the health & well-being of the unborn; but once you're out of the womb? You're on your own and any illness is probably because you're godless and sinful anyway. Everything about the Trump administration's response to CoVid is anything but "Christian". To paraphrase the Dali Lama, these Christians are so unlike their Christ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,529 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

pixelburp wrote: »
    I'm always "amused" by the rhtoric of American Christian Conservatives: that they'll fight tooth and nail to preserve the health & well-being of the unborn; but once you're out of the womb? You're on your own and any illness is probably because you're godless and sinful anyway. Everything about the Trump administration's response to CoVid is anything but "Christian". To paraphrase the Dali Lama, these Christians are so unlike their Christ.

I remember that discussion from the repeal debate here. They're not pro-life, they're pro-birth

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

pixelburp wrote: »

It's the like of this that ultimately killed my faith in Christ to be honest. These people have no interest what he said. They just want to use their faith to oppress others and gloat as they do so.

If the words had been around at the time, I'm sure the authors of the Gospels would have labelled him as something akin to a Libertarian Communist or perhaps just the latter and yet you'll never see such a uniquely mean spirited demographic as devout Christians.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭hirondelle

It's the like of this that ultimately killed my faith in Christ to be honest. These people have no interest what he said. They just want to use their faith to oppress others and gloat as they do so.

If the words had been around at the time, I'm sure the authors of the Gospels would have labelled him as something akin to a Libertarian Communist or perhaps just the latter and yet you'll never see such a uniquely mean spirited demographic as devout Christians.

I think the figure normally given for people in the US who identify as Evangelical Christians is 16%. That doesn't necessarily translate to them voting as a cohesive bloc, but they certainly exert more effect over policies than any other religious/social demographic, it would appear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

duploelabs wrote: »
    I remember that discussion from the repeal debate here. They're not pro-life, they're pro-birth

If you look at the profiles of any supposedly Irish-based anti-masker, you will find old photos with the Love Both and No stickers over them. These people are not idealogues, they are just opposed to anything the government does or edge lords that want to shock or offend. Childish, vengeful reactionaries that are ruining western democracy with their crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

I disagree, whilst there are increasing numbers of liberals or soft left people being drawn into the anti mask thing, the organisers and core group are generally right wing populists and/or ultra-right catholics either latching on to the cause to boost their agenda or to help with their social media money making grift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,059 ✭✭✭✭listermint

droidus wrote: »
    I disagree, whilst there are increasing numbers of liberals or soft left people being drawn into the anti mask thing, the organisers and core group are generally right wing populists and/or ultra-right catholics either latching on to the cause to boost their agenda or to help with their social media money making grift.

That's exactly what the above poster indicated...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Im saying they are mostly idealogues, some of the most hardcore in fact. They're not simply opposed to masks for fun or to offend, they're doing so with a very specific political agenda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,059 ✭✭✭✭listermint

droidus wrote: »
    Im saying they are mostly idealogues, some of the most hardcore in fact. They're not simply opposed to masks for fun or to offend, they're doing so with a very specific political agenda.

Correct , sow chaos.

Which has been Russia's plan since 2010. Worked with Trump and prior to that the UK

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

hirondelle wrote: »
    I think the figure normally given for people in the US who identify as Evangelical Christians is 16%. That doesn't necessarily translate to them voting as a cohesive bloc, but they certainly exert more effect over policies than any other religious/social demographic, it would appear.

If they're older then they're more likely to vote which will lead to increased influence compared to other demographics. Then there's the US's uniquely dysfunctional relationship with Christianity which doesn't help matters.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭hirondelle

If they're older then they're more likely to vote which will lead to increased influence compared to other demographics. Then there's the US's uniquely dysfunctional relationship with Christianity which doesn't help matters.

Indeed. I only read recently that the people on the Mayflower had actually moved to the Netherlands from Britain, where they were freely practicing their religion- they only went to America afterwards for what they hoped would be a more prosperous earthly existence. Some "foundation myth" to be basing the imposition of the Old Testament on the rest of society.
    It also neatly encapsulates the complete dichotomy between being a practicing Christian and a rabid capitalist at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,830 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Its like history in repeat. Devoted people and the market, all one needs is some-one to come in to clear the market place.... Oh wait, some-one came in in 2016 promising to do exactly that.

Isn't Regeneron (the experimental non-fda drug used on Trump) developed with stem cells? How do the christian right square that circle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

duploelabs wrote: »
    Isn't Regeneron (the experimental non-fda drug used on Trump) developed with stem cells? How do the christian right square that circle?

Its called cognitive dissonance and hypocrisy, the Republicans and their supporters have excelled at both for quite a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

I know polls are best ignored but Rasmussen has a national poll with Biden 52% to Trump 40%, assuming those people vote and can get their votes counted.

That's a big gap, bigger than 2016.

I know polls are best ignored but Rasmussen has a national poll with Biden 52% to Trump 40%, assuming those people vote and can get their votes counted.

Especially considering Rasmussen is one of the most pro-republican pollsters out there.

Trump seems to be on a mission to burn it all to the ground, thus in January the GOP can point to the ashes and say its a rwuslt of voting Biden into government

Its called cognitive dissonance and hypocrisy, the Republicans and their supporters have excelled at both for quite a long time.

Oh I know of the double standards. I'm just curious as the the mental gymnastics they're employing to make it rational in their minds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Rasmussen is a notoriously right-leaning pollster as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭amandstu

It was 57 to 41 on a poll they were discussing on CNN last night.(so 16 points)

That poll showed ,I think strong reversals in voting intentions among older and female demographics which Trump was leading in in 2106.

They also said that Biden had held a lead over Trump for the past 3 years and it has never been even stevens between them.

i am curious as to how many have already voted as those votes are frozen in time and presumably make Trump's task harder with every passing day so long as voting intentions remain as they are and have been since early voting kicked in.

Those votes are cast and must reflect the present day preferences which we have a decent idea of.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement