Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

seamus wrote: »
    There was a good post on reddit this morning outlining that this is all that Trump knows. He picks the most grandiose, most threatening course of action, with no regard to how likely it is to be successful.

Far from "4D chess", he's actually playing 1D chess. The only move he knows how to do is to use his Queen to attack the other player's pawns, and as a result he keeps losing.

And while these moves might work on a city planning department or a company board or a creditor suing for breach of contract, they don't work in politics.

To even think he is directly targeting the other players pawns is overstating the skill in his manovers, it just anything that isn't him which gets attacked. He's only one level above the pidegon playing chess in that he is self aware and so doesn't attack his own queen as well, but that's about it. If it doesn't benefit him then what's the point, we just need to remain thankful that he can't see further ahead in his strategy to be able to figure out where this will all end.

If he had any skill or forethought then we'd really be in trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,823 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

robinph wrote: »
    If he had any skill or forethought then we'd really be in trouble.

Absolutely. Its incredible to think that had he just stayed out if the way with Covid, he'd probably be strolling to victory now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Absolutely. Its incredible to think that had he just stayed out if the way with Covid, he'd probably be strolling to victory now.

Indeed if he hadn't politicised it and handled it in an even mildly competent manner by literally just letting the experts take the lead he'd be beating Biden without a doubt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,830 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Its now seems like its a case of Trump V Pence where the next debating session is regarded. The commission has suggested to both debating sides that it would be a virtual online debate with the two debaters in separate locations for obvious reasons and MP's team agreed for his part. No word on the Dems position but Trump has refused the commissions idea, saying debating without both persons being in the one room is not debating. I believe the refusal is for headline purposes and nothing else, with him being "persuaded" to move on his position later. MP's campaign team will be discussing the commission idea with Trump's team soon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I think staying out of it would have been wrong. If he'd just have let the experts take over while extolling their knowledge and skill along with appealing to the masses he'd be in a much stronger position now. Covid was always going to devastate the world economy but a leader who appears incapable of empathy is a horrible thing to add to it.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement

I think staying out of it would have been wrong. If he'd just have let the experts take over while extolling their knowledge and skill along with appealing to the masses he'd be in a much stronger position now. Covid was always going to devastate the world economy but a leader who appears incapable of empathy is a horrible thing to add to it.

I think you misunderstood me.

I agree he should have played a key role, but that that would have been deferring to the experts from early on. Not leading and dominating all Covid press briefings as he did.

That's what meant by staying out of the way. A weekly message praising efforts, promising help, thanking the scientists would have him looking very different right now. The fact he could not do so, is categorically evidence of his unsuitability for the role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

The raccoons are back at the WH. Somewhat unsurprisingly, they bothered a CNN correspondent who threw a small bench at them. No raccoons were hurt in the filming.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/10/07/us/joe-johns-raccoon-encounter-trnd/index.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

aloyisious wrote: »
    Its now seems like its a case of Trump V Pence where the next debating session is regarded. The commission has suggested to both debating sides that it would be a virtual online debate with the two debaters in separate locations for obvious reasons and MP's team agreed for his part. No word on the Dems position but Trump has refused the commissions idea, saying debating without both persons being in the one room is not debating. I believe the refusal is for headline purposes and nothing else, with him being "persuaded" to move on his position later. MP's campaign team will be discussing the commission idea with Trump's team soon.

What is MP's team, is that Mike Pence? Why would there be any disagreement between them, Pence will have nothing to do with it.

• Administrators Posts: 53,993 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think Trump is hoping that Biden will refuse to be in the same room as him on health grounds, and the debate won't happen. Wasn't Trump's team also arguing against screens being put between the two of them?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Biden has said he's happy to go ahead with it if medical people give the go ahead, I'd hope that he means someone other than the presidents personal doctor though.

Trump has now said he's going to hold a rally instead. That should just leave enough time for whoever is infected at the rally to get ill and be tested and those reports to get the headlines before the election takes place. He's zero intention of trying to get anyone that isn't already following the cult to vote for him, he's not even go much interest in the health of those who are already indoctrinated either if he's wanting to hold a rally instead. All just to stroke his ego.

• Advertisement

Leroy42 wrote: »
    What is MP's team, is that Mike Pence? Why would there be any disagreement between them, Pence will have nothing to do with it.

Yes, MP is Mike Pence. Reading between the lines, Pence's manager was available to talk/was talking to CNN when news of Trump's refusal came through and he was asked about it, leaving him with having to give an adult reply, hence him saying there would be a discussion between the V/P and President. He couldn't very well just [as a member of the GOP team] say "nothing to do with us" and walk away however much he may have felt doing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭amandstu

VinLieger wrote: »
    Indeed if he hadn't politicised it and handled it in an even mildly competent manner by literally just letting the experts take the lead he'd be beating Biden without a doubt

A "what if ? " ,of course .

But Biden is a seriously impressive candidate in his own right. His level of rapport with people is something else.

I am terrified that Trump will win again and this clouds my judgement vis a vis Biden and tends to put him on ignore but he is no dotard and is very appealing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It seems that during Donald trumps interview on Fox News where he called Kamala Harris a monster he’s supposed to have have shots at mike Pompeo and William Barr which imo shows the Strain that trump is under as he’s lashing out at even his most loyal cabinet members.

There's a breaking story in Michigan, where Biden is apparently leading in the polls. The State AG and the FBI released news that they had raided a location where 7 members of an armed Militia group were planning the purchase of explosives. Those arrested had plotted to kidnap the Governor Gretchen Whitmer and six other people. This will probably sway any wavering voters on whom to vote for where it comes to candidates not making it clear where they stand on militia group activities. Whitmer, who disagrees with Trump's ideas about wearing masks as an anti-virus measure, lost a case in court earlier this week on emergency laws she brought in to fight the Covid-19 virus in Michigan. President Trump has made clear his displeasure with her being in office.

There's a breaking story in Michigan, where Biden is apparently leading in the polls. The State AG and the FBI released news that they had raided a location where 7 members of an armed Militia group were planning the purchase of explosives. Those arrested had plotted to kidnap the Governor Gretchen Whitmer and six other people. This will probably sway any wavering voters on whom to vote for where it comes to candidates not making it clear where they stand on militia group activities. Whitmer, who disagrees with Trump's ideas about wearing masks as an anti-virus measure, lost a case in court earlier this week on emergency laws she brought in to fight the Covid-19 virus in Michigan. President Trump has made clear his displeasure with her being in office.

Not only his displeasure.

27326356-0-image-a-16_1587140073773.jpg

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    It seems that during Donald trumps interview on Fox News where he called Kamala Harris a monster he’s supposed to have have shots at mike Pompeo and William Barr which imo shows the Strain that trump is under as he’s lashing out at even his most loyal cabinet members.

I might be putting 2 and 2 together wrongly here in respect of the displeasure Trump has for both Admin members. A Ukrainian MP & friend of Rudy Giuliani [Andrii Derkach] had his U.S visa revoked late last month on the basis that he was an active Russian agent, much to the pleasure of Ukraine's U.S ambassador. Rudy relied on Andrii's evidence to make his claims that Hunter Biden was up to his neck in illegal activities in Ukraine under the protection of his dad's influence.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Not only his displeasure.

27326356-0-image-a-16_1587140073773.jpg

Reading the CNN Article , the FBI had someone undercover from around this time.

So , the FBI have a guy undercover with a militia group planning to kidnap the Governor of Michigan and the President of the United States tweets "LIBERATE MICHIGAN"

Trump loves to tweet "TREASON" randomly , maybe people should now tweet "SEDITION" at him , given that that's what this is.

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Reading the CNN Article , the FBI had someone undercover from around this time.

So , the FBI have a guy undercover with a militia group planning to kidnap the Governor of Michigan and the President of the United States tweets "LIBERATE MICHIGAN"

Trump loves to tweet "TREASON" randomly , maybe people should now tweet "SEDITION" at him , given that that's what this is.

Over to A.G Barr for immediate action and to Senator McConnell for a group phone-call to members of both Senate and Congress on emergency activation of the "temporary removal of the president" constitutional clause. The evidence is there in a hand-typed personal statement from the president himself no less.

Edit: If it's not the act of a president temporarily unfit for office, it's the act of a person who knows he's lost the election, is losing the party and decided on a sneaky way of throwing in the towel in advance to avoid the humiliation of being voted out of office.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

At least the Local Senate Majority leader stood up for the rule of law.
    Michigan Senate Majority Leader Mike Shirkey, a Republican, strongly condemned the threat against the governor.
    "A threat against our governor is a threat against us all," Shirkey said in a statement. "We condemn the actions of the group of individuals that plotted against Governor Whitmer and state government. These people are not patriots. There is no honor in their actions. They are criminals and traitors, and they should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law."

Absolutely no equivocation there - Just as it should be.

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    At least the Local Senate Majority leader stood up for the rule of law.

Absolutely no equivocation there - Just as it should be.

There’s the blueprint for the GOP. That’s straight down the line as you say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭serfboard

he should have ... been deferring to the experts from early on. Not leading and dominating all Covid press briefings as he did.

That's what meant by staying out of the way. A weekly message praising efforts, promising help, thanking the scientists would have him looking very different right now.
    As you've said, there was no way that someone who suffers from Narcissistic Personality Disorder was going to do that.

https://twitter.com/julienbcnews/status/1314239940096602113?s=21

Well this a very honest opinion by the senate majority leader Mitch McConnell and probably won’t go down well in the White House itself although Mitch McConnell seems to be a proponent of mask wearing and outside of the senate I’ve rarely seen him without one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

That is a very interesting public break from Trump from Mitch. The goose is cooked in his book and it's damage control time imo. Push through the agenda while distancing from the man and his behaviour on a personal level.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,776 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

That’s a tell

McConnell thinks trump is a lost cause at this stage.

Distancing name of the game now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,618 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

That’s a tell

McConnell thinks trump is a lost cause at this stage.

Distancing name of the game now.

We'll see a lot of this over the next few weeks.

Dump Trump, save the party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,776 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I’ve noticed trump is name checking god and blessings/miracles etc more lately.

An obvious appeal to the god botherers.

Won’t be enough to win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,870 ✭✭✭✭banie01

PBS are showing a programme called The Choice 2020; Trump Vs Biden.

There is a clip of Biden being sworn in as a Senator, in a ceremony held in the hospital where his sons were being treated after the crash that killed his wife and daughter.

Biden says that he hopes he can be a good senator, and a good father but that in 6 months time.
    If there is a conflict between being a good father and a good senator, that I will tender my resignation to the Governor.

That is a measure of the man, an indication of his sense of duty, honour and family.

Having been in a similar situation myself, albeit without a senate seat, I am in awe of Biden's resilience during that time.
    That clip should be played everytime Trump questions Biden's morality, fibre or bravery.

The contrast is stark.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/julienbcnews/status/1314239940096602113?s=21

Well this a very honest opinion by the senate majority leader Mitch McConnell and probably won’t go down well in the White House itself although Mitch McConnell seems to be a proponent of mask wearing and outside of the senate I’ve rarely seen him without one.

Not on twitter so can't see the contents of the tweet. This quote attributed to McConnell is from a Business Insider article: Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell on Thursday said he has not been to the White House since August 6, citing the Trump administration's lax COVID-19 protocols.
    "My impression was their approach to how to handle this was different than mine and what I insisted that we do in the Senate, which is to wear a mask and practice social distancing," McConnell said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Nice and healthy.... they say I'm the healthiest in the world.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1314385602549362689?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Nice and healthy.... they say I'm the healthiest in the world.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1314385602549362689?s=20

How does he not get called out on crap like "I don't have to help California... but I want to"

What do you mean as POTUS you don't have to help a State besieged with forest fires?!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement