Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭RickBlaine

Yes, the fact that they are refusing to answer a simple and reasonable question means something is definitely suspicious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,525 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

She will live a life of privilege, get treatment if she gets sick, and continue to vent on tik tok and enjoy getting the media’s attention. This story is a nothing burger ðŸ”
    Her ma is an asshole, not that a unique situation. Family are infecting each other with Covid all the time.
    The whole thing is beyond satire.
    News flash buddy

Child abuse can happen in privileged households.

Her mother is in an extremely public position and the whole story is being played out on social media.
    The kids isn't doing this 'for attention', she's doing it to seek help.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Detritus70

She will live a life of privilege, get treatment if she gets sick, and continue to vent on tik tok and enjoy getting the media’s attention. This story is a nothing burger ðŸ”
    Her ma is an asshole, not that a unique situation. Family are infecting each other with Covid all the time.
    The whole thing is beyond satire.

Yes they do.
    But rarely does a mother knowingly expose her daughter to a disease that can end deadly and is known to lead to potential lifelong side effects.
    And lying to her own daughter and refusing her medical attention is basically endangering her own child.
    I have a pretty dark and macabre sense of humour. I often have failures of good taste.
    But try as I might, I just can't see the hilarity here.
    If you see this differently, ok, fine, I will agree to differ.

Fully Automated Luxury Gay Space Communism

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,691 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Midlife wrote: »
    I agree with what you're saying but it's a dangerous way to put it IMO. We'll maybe not on an Irish message forum.

But thinking that all police and military are on one side can only entrench the sides. The police are traditionally more conservative in the US and any police institutions are probably very conservative. Of course they are old institutions you're dealing with.

There are 700k police in America. That's a massively diverse group.

I'm not having a go or anything. I just think that placing groups of people on opposing sides is why things are so divided in the US.

Not sure what you are saying here, or why anything is dangerous? Where did I say they were all on the same side? Or opposing sides?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,726 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Detritus70 wrote: »
    Yes they do.
    But rarely does a mother knowingly expose her daughter to a disease that can end deadly and is known to lead to potential lifelong side effects.

You might want to visit the anti-vax thread :pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Igotadose wrote: »
    You might want to visit the anti-vax thread :pac::pac:

I wouldn't, for my own sanity. I'd be banned within 30 seconds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Trump speaking right now, seems ok but lacking a bit of his old manic energy. Also looks a pale, well you know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,141 ✭✭✭✭briany

Trump speaking right now, seems ok but lacking a bit of his old manic energy. Also looks a pale, well you know!

I had expressed doubts that Trump was as well as he had previously claimed, but in fairness, if he's able to speak publicly, and especially if he's able to do that Florida rally he has booked in, then he must be well on the road to recovery. Yes, the apparent speed of it may be due to having the finest medical care you can get, and some drugs to alleviate the symptoms, but recovery is still recovery. It's a pity that the second debate was cancelled, really, in light of this, but that seems to be more down to electioneering than anything at this point. Biden probably knows that there's no chance of catching COVID from Trump if the man is 12 feet away on a stage with a glass divider between them, but he wants to appear sensitive to concerns around the disease, which would play well with his base. Trump wants to do the opposite - act like it's all overblown and that any alterations made to the format are just being designed to hamper his ability to be competitive in the debates, and that plays well with the Trump base.

But Trump needs another debate more than Biden. He didn't manage to land much on Biden in the last one and came off totally classless and clueless at various times. Like, that remark about Biden's son's drug problem had no place in a civilised discussion about political policy in this day and age, and it's the very kind of thing that would turn off any reasoned undecided voter, however few of them exist at this stage.

What I think is happening now is that Trump is pivoting away from the idea of winning the election outright in November and is just firing up the base for if and when he loses and goes on the last ditch offensive - the election was rigged, a coup is underway, so those who stood back must now come forward and defend democracy etc. We may not be able to shift away from the 24 hour news channels for several months if it comes to that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

• Registered Users Posts: 22,640 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1315051820444606467?s=19

It's hard to know what to say any more. When you think he can't do anything more ridiculous, nope here's something else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,830 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

briany wrote: »
    I had expressed doubts that Trump was as well as he had previously claimed, but in fairness, if he's able to speak publicly, and especially if he's able to do that Florida rally he has booked in, then he must be well on the road to recovery. Yes, the apparent speed of it may be due to having the finest medical care you can get, and some drugs to alleviate the symptoms, but recovery is still recovery. It's a pity that the second debate was cancelled, really, in light of this, but that seems to be more down to electioneering than anything at this point. Biden probably knows that there's no chance of catching COVID from Trump if the man is 12 feet away on a stage with a glass divider between them, but he wants to appear sensitive to concerns around the disease, which would play well with his base. Trump wants to do the opposite - act like it's all overblown and that any alterations made to the format are just being designed to hamper his ability to be competitive in the debates, and that plays well with the Trump base

There'd have been one sure way for Trump and anyone who really trusts in him present at todays meeting to regain any ground lost to Biden and that would have been for him and them mingle during the meeting. Unsurprisingly he and they didn't. That in itself shows at the very least that his voting base fears the virus regardless of what he says about it and its effect on him. He cant shake the effects the virus had on his system. It's the bogeyman that'll destroy his re-election.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1315051820444606467?s=19

It's hard to know what to say any more. When you think he can't do anything more ridiculous, nope here's something else.

Honestly, it'd work as a bit if it wasn't for the fact that Donald Trump doesn't have a sense of humour.

And if it wasn't Covid he was down with, because it'd be a bit iffy to be pulling that stunt about a disease that's going to end up killing probably 400,000 Americans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,640 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Suited Trump to skip second debate as town hall style suits Biden and doesn't suit him. Biden's campaign pushing for town hall to be used at the last debate instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Water John wrote: »
    Suited Trump to skip second debate as town hall style suits Biden and doesn't suit him. Biden's campaign pushing for town hall to be used at the last debate instead.

I'm still waiting to hear what the posters who spent weeks speculating about Biden "dodging" debates for fear of poor performance have to say after Trump lost the first debate and has now dodged the second.

Their utter silence has been.. how do I put this... utterly unsurprising and entirely expected.

In other news, the Taliban have just endorsed DT.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/taliban-on-trump-we-hope-he-will-win-the-election-withdraw-us-troops/
    Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid told CBS News in a phone interview, "We believe that Trump is going to win the upcoming election because he has proved himself a politician who accomplished all the major promises he had made to American people, although he might have missed some small things, but did accomplish the bigger promises, so it is possible that the U.S. people who experienced deceptions in the past will once again trust Trump for his decisive actions."

I can't tell if this is serious or a stunt from the new Borat film.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

there has been so much bull posted by both sides it is almost impossible to decipher it all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,823 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

there has been so much bull posted by both sides it is almost impossible to decipher it all

Where have we seen this 'both sides' line of defence before? It definitely rings a bell.

Most of the BS in this campaign has emanated from the mouth and fingertips of the sitting President. Never before has there been less ambiguity as to just where they stand or what they themselves are responsible for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Jack1985

I'd quantify that by saying the level of lies peddled from the GOP and POTUS 45 is no where near conducted by Dems. The GOP had a campaign riddled in corruption and interference from an enemy state to the US.

This POTUS has peddled complete untruths about COVID-19 and has been one of the main protagonists for disinformation related to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Just seen an ad for trump on Fox during the eagles game and it’s claiming that trump tackled the virus head on. Which is a lie. Also, they seem to use dr fauci to back up that they did a good job. I’d like to see the full clip for fauci because the context is important.

I have a family friend, ex-US Navy, lifelong Republican, and she rationalised voting Trump in 2016 because Hilary lied, FBI investigation in to her, then reopened etc etc. Talking to her recently she's very much changed her tune.

Statements from her:
    Bidens son served in Iraq, Donalds sons never even served in McDonald's.
    Calling any serviceman a loser does not go down well with any ex-military.
    Whats is up with the Russia links?

Maybe wishful thinking on my part, but, if many other republicans think along similar lines it could be a landslide for Biden.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I'm still waiting to hear what the posters who spent weeks speculating about Biden "dodging" debates for fear of poor performance have to say after Trump lost the first debate and has now dodged the second.

Their utter silence has been.. how do I put this... utterly unsurprising and entirely expected.

Bret Stephens made this point on Real Time last week. The Republicans and Trump crew made the point that Biden was senile and then the bar was set at him being able to string a sentence together. When he made an impressive performance at that debate it blew the whole "senile" question out of the water.

Similar point calling Harris a communist and setting such a low bar that was easily defeated when she comes out with reasonable centrist policies.

marno21 wrote: »
    Bret Stephens made this point on Real Time last week. The Republicans and Trump crew made the point that Biden was senile and then the bar was set at him being able to string a sentence together. When he made an impressive performance at that debate it blew the whole "senile" question out of the water.

Similar point calling Harris a communist and setting such a low bar that was easily defeated when she comes out with reasonable centrist policies.

Yeah, the Trump campaigns tactics have really backfired. Ive heard some incredible things from commentators, and Trump supporters. One commentator on Sky said he'd be surprised if Biden remembered his own name at the debate.

Well, when he then does and puts on a decent performance, you then look kind of silly.

Slightly off topic, in other Trump threads, its funny how many contributors are already on my block list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Covid is still out of control in the US. 50k cases per day. 1k deaths a day, despite them saying it was just younger people getting it so not to worry about cases.

But Trump survives, thanks to the best medical care available, and it seems Trump thinks it all over and done with.

Trumo knew weeks ago that effectively tackling the virus would give him a boost but just couldn't get it done, despite having the road map and the tools.

It is a complete, abject and continuing failure of epic proportions. Forget 200k deaths, US will be lucky to avoid 300k.

I'm pretty sure millions of Irish Americans will vote for Trump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭abff

I'm pretty sure millions of Irish Americans will vote for Trump.

On what do you base that prediction/assertion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,987 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

This is a great thread, so amusing.

I haven't anything to add to add to madness of King Trump. Except he is nuts personified!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mod: Troll posts and responses deleted.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,670 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I have a family friend, ex-US Navy, lifelong Republican, and she rationalised voting Trump in 2016 because Hilary lied, FBI investigation in to her, then reopened etc etc. Talking to her recently she's very much changed her tune.

Statements from her:
    Bidens son served in Iraq, Donalds sons never even served in McDonald's.
    Calling any serviceman a loser does not go down well with any ex-military.
    Whats is up with the Russia links?

Maybe wishful thinking on my part, but, if many other republicans think along similar lines it could be a landslide for Biden.

That doesnt surprise me, I think Trumps comments on the military being suckers and losers are going to come back to haunt him.

On a potential landslide well No 10 Downing Street think it is very much possible and are now backing Biden
    Panicking No 10 dumps Trump to woo Biden

British ministers have been told to forge links with the White House frontrunner Joe Biden after “writing off” Donald Trump’s chances of re-election, amid fears that the UK could be left out in the cold if the former vice-president wins.

Boris Johnson has been warned that Trump is on course for a landslide defeat with his Democratic opponents set to land a historic “triple whammy” by seizing control of the presidency, the Senate and the House of Representatives.
    Private polling and computer models shown to No 10 last month put Biden’s chances of victory at more than 70 per cent. The challenger has since opened up a double-digit lead and one predictive model based on polling this weekend gave him an 85 per cent chance of winning, with the chances of a landslide better than one in three.
    https://www.theaustralian.com.au/world/the-times/panicking-no-10-dumps-trump-to-woo-biden/news-story/fe75612ad144cb0bcdb061d7ccbfdd28

If No 10 is saying that it could be a landslide Id take that seriously. No 10=Domnic Cummings who has lots of links to the Trump campaign. So if he is saying Biden is going to win things are very serious for Trump now and he could well suffer a landslide defeat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭abff

Muahahaha wrote: »
    That doesnt surprise me, I think Trumps comments on the military being suckers and losers are going to come back to haunt him.

On a potential landslide well No 10 Downing Street think it is very much possible and are now backing Biden

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/world/the-times/panicking-no-10-dumps-trump-to-woo-biden/news-story/fe75612ad144cb0bcdb061d7ccbfdd28

If No 10 is saying that it could be a landslide Id take that seriously. No 10=Domnic Cummings who has lots of links to the Trump campaign. So if he is saying Biden is going to win things are very serious for Trump now and he could well suffer a landslide defeat

While I'd love to think that that's true, what worries me about it is that I find it hard to accept anything Dominic Cummings says at face value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Just to add to my post about dr fauci being in an ad he’s pushed back and released a statement. The trump campaign are trying to defend their use of the clip by basically saying that they are actually true but they are taken out of context.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement