Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,670 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

abff wrote: »
    While I'd love to think that that's true, what worries me about it is that I find it hard to accept anything Dominic Cummings says at face value.

Cummings is a snake for sure but if he is telling Ministers to forge links with Biden because he sees him winning in a landslide then thats serious for Trump given Cummings own links to the Trump campaign.

On what do you base that prediction/assertion?

Common sense. Do you think he'll fail to get 20% of the Irish American vote?

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Cummings is a snake for sure but if he is telling Ministers to forge links with Biden because he sees him winning in a landslide then thats serious for Trump given Cummings own links to the Trump campaign.

There's a line from if I remember correctly The Hunt for Red October. A man says to Harrison Ford, "Now, I'm a politician, which means Im a liar and a cheat, but it also means I keep my options open". Sounds like Cummins all over. He loves polling statistics, and maybe doesn't like the way the wind is blowing, so he's jumping ship.

Is it too soon to start feeling hopeful?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Common sense. Do you think he'll fail to get 20% of the Irish American vote?

What was the point you were trying to make though with the post? That he will get x% of a particular voting block/demographic etc?

If that was it then yeah of course he will, he will get x% of pretty much every single demographic, its a big country.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

What was the point you were trying to make though with the post? That he will get x% of a particular voting block/demographic etc?

If that was it then yeah of course he will, he will get x% of pretty much every single demographic, its a big country.

Ah, there's posts missing from earlier, and a post I quoted isn't in my post.
    Someone made a post stating that Irish Americans will vote for Trump in their millions.
    Another poster asked for proof or similar.
    I was lampshading what a ridiculous thing to ask for proof of it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭abff

Ah, there's posts missing from earlier, and a post I quoted isn't in my post.
    Someone made a post stating that Irish Americans will vote for Trump in their millions.
    Another poster asked for proof or similar.
    I was lampshading what a ridiculous thing to ask for proof of it was.

I was the one who responded. I didn't ask for proof. I asked what the person making this statement was basing their prediction on.

You have answered my question by saying that as there are tens of millions of Irish Americans, only a small percentage would need to vote for Trump in order for that statement to be true. I have to accept that this is technically correct.

However, the statement about millions of Irish Americans voting for Trump was, in my opinion, deliberately worded in a misleading way that suggested (albeit without saying so) that Trump has a huge level of support among Irish Americans. I have no idea what the actual numbers are, but I would be astonished if there was anything less than an overwhelming majority in favour of Biden among Irish American voters.

If you have any statistics to contradict this, please post the figures here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,987 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Some are far too invested.

This is America we are talking about. The vast majority are hard working individuals with a brain attached.

The rest of them, well we know who they are voting for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭Patser

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Just to add to my post about dr fauci being in an ad he’s pushed back and released a statement. The trump campaign are trying to defend their use of the clip by basically saying that they are actually true but they are taken out of context.

BBC have an article up on it, with Fauci saying he was talking about himself and medical professionals across the U.S.

And also that he would never endorse a candidate, never has, never will

https://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2020-54504096

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mod: Troll posts and responses deleted.

Serious posts only please.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

So while Biden is getting endorsements from republicans, Cindy McCain, some vets, some doctors etc, POTUS is making up endorsements from his employees?

I think the problem that has hit Trump in relation to Covid is its measureability. The numbers are so simple. Unlike with the economy which is complex, nuanced and open to interpretation, the numbers of cases and number of deaths is pretty stark.

So one can call economic numbers phenomenal even when they aren't as any discussion gets technical pretty quickly, involves looking back etc.

Coming out with phenomenal in relation to covid, when the numbers clearly say otherwise, when football staduims or at best 25% full, when games are being postponed, these are easy to understand realities that nobody would think is phenomenal.

But Trump doesn't know any other way then to over sell to the max. Everything is the best, the most, the greatest etc.

That they are now forced to lie about Fauci, to use him without his consent of even asking him, shows the hole he is in.

For most candidates this would be a major story and cause damage to their chances, but with Trump it will hardly cause a ripple.

However, a while back I remember reading some pundit say Trump needed to win each day of the remaining campaign (was a few weeks ago) to win. This is just another example of mistakes the Trump campaign continues to make.

They need something to start closing the gap, simply not causing more damage is not enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

As usual, its all going come down to the states of Pennsylvania and Florida. If Trump doesn't win both of those, he is toast. He's polling very badly in Pennsylvania lately so he definitely needs something to change - been interesting to see that he hasn't been able to move past the "Sleepy Joe" nonsense to anything substantial or lasting to criticise Biden on.

He needs to find something, and fast.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    As usual, its all going come down to the states of Pennsylvania and Florida. If Trump doesn't win both of those, he is toast. He's polling very badly in Pennsylvania lately so he definitely needs something to change - been interesting to see that he hasn't been able to move past the "Sleepy Joe" nonsense to anything substantial or lasting to criticise Biden on.

He needs to find something, and fast.

This has been the main problem for the Trump campaign.

They are have been flailing around trying to find a message that sticks and none really have , but in part it's because they have changed tack so often.

Last Time it was very clear and simple
    • Build the Wall
    • Lock Her Up
    • MAGA!

They have been all over the map this time around.

"Sleepy Joe" is incapable of doing the job , BUT He's going to burn down the suburbs , Ban Guns and Religion and at the same time Tax you to oblivion. Aided and abetted by Harris who is both "weak on Crime" but also guilty of sending too many people to jail.

None of it sticks because everything contradicts each other and none of it makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭abff

At this stage, it’s hard to understand why anyone thinks that Trump is a suitable candidate for another four years.

I know that there are some people, for example the religious right, who realise that he is unfit for office but will vote for him anyway because they know that some of his actions, particularly regarding Supreme Court appointees (and other judicial appointees, for that matter) will suit their agenda.

There are also die hard Republicans who realise that Trump is a terrible president but for whom having a Republican in the White House outweighs all other priorities. Then there are those who are too stupid to realise how awful he is.

But I think there is also a large group of people who are in denial. In their hearts, they realise how bad he is, but to change their minds and vote against him would be to admit that they were duped by his lies and false promises and would be an acknowledgement of their own foolishness and they are too proud (or too insecure) to do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,640 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Because of Biden's widespread likeability factor, none of Trump's slurs stuck.

BTW the only sure Irish votes Trump can count on are expats from Doonbeg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,525 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Water John wrote: »
    Because of Biden's widespread likeability factor, none of Trump's slurs stuck.

BTW the only sure Irish votes Trump can count on are expats from Doonbeg.

Especially when you consider that Biden would have far greater connection to here than trump

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Just seen an ad for trump on Fox during the eagles game and it’s claiming that trump tackled the virus head on. Which is a lie. Also, they seem to use dr fauci to back up that they did a good job. I’d like to see the full clip for fauci because the context is important.
    Yeah I saw the same during the panthers - falcons game, genuinely eye rolling stuff.

At this stage, it’s hard to understand why anyone thinks that Trump is a suitable candidate for another four years.

I know that there are some people, for example the religious right, who realise that he is unfit for office but will vote for him anyway because they know that some of his actions, particularly regarding Supreme Court appointees (and other judicial appointees, for that matter) will suit their agenda.

There are also die hard Republicans who realise that Trump is a terrible president but for whom having a Republican in the White House outweighs all other priorities. Then there are those who are too stupid to realise how awful he is.

But I think there is also a large group of people who are in denial. In their hearts, they realise how bad he is, but to change their minds and vote against him would be to admit that they were duped by his lies and false promises and would be an acknowledgement of their own foolishness and they are too proud (or too insecure) to do this.

I think that makes up the majority of Trump voters. Republican policies are more important to them than anything else. It's a reasonable stance given how terrible the US political system is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,691 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Just seen an ad for trump on Fox during the eagles game and it’s claiming that trump tackled the virus head on. Which is a lie. Also, they seem to use dr fauci to back up that they did a good job. I’d like to see the full clip for fauci because the context is important.

Fauci has already stated very clearly that he was taken completely out of context, the reference was him talking to medical people about their input, and he has said that he has never in his career endorsed any political appointment.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

looksee wrote: »
    Fauci has already stated very clearly that he was taken completely out of context, the reference was him talking to medical people about their input, and he has said that he has never in his career endorsed any political appointment.

Indeed - But in the open sewer that is Facebook & Twitter it no longer matters - Fauci supports him , that's the end of that.

They have gotten the impact that they wanted , targeting the audience they wanted - A group who will never see the comments from Fauci about being taken out of context in any of their media consumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Caegan

I'm not sure that he's recent Twitter posts about how L.A. and New York are hellscapes or soon will be under his administration is the winning way to go.

At least he has the stock market. 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Indeed - But in the open sewer that is Facebook & Twitter it no longer matters - Fauci supports him , that's the end of that.

They have gotten the impact that they wanted , targeting the audience they wanted - A group who will never see the comments from Fauci about being taken out of context in any of their media consumption.

Or, when presented with a statement that contradicts their belief that everyone loves Trump unconditionally like they do, will just shriek "FAKE NEWS!!1!1!" and sneer its probably just a CNN/NYT story trying to slander the Divine Orange One!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,141 ✭✭✭✭briany

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Or, when presented with a statement that contradicts their belief that everyone loves Trump unconditionally like they do, will just shriek "FAKE NEWS!!1!1!" and sneer its probably just a CNN/NYT story trying to slander the Divine Orange One!

CNN have not been doing themselves a whole lot of favours, either, because their partisanship against Trump is pretty naked at this point. On a human level, I can't hugely blame them - Trump has had a go at CNN many times, even though they gave him a lot of valuable coverage during the 2016 election, but they have turned into the blue FOX News at this stage. They'll put the most negative spin on any Trump story, and many of those already look bad from a neutral point of view, making exaggeration unnecessary, but it's that exaggeration which lets Trump supporters feel like they have a legitimate reason to write the network off as the enemy.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭hirondelle

briany wrote: »
    CNN have not been doing themselves a whole lot of favours, either, because their partisanship against Trump is pretty naked at this point. On a human level, I can't hugely blame them - Trump has had a go at CNN many times, even though they gave him a lot of valuable coverage during the 2016 election, but they have turned into the blue FOX News at this stage. They'll put the most negative spin on any Trump story, and many of those already look bad from a neutral point of view, making exaggeration unnecessary, but it's that exaggeration which lets Trump supporters feel like they have a legitimate reason to write the network off as the enemy.

Tapper looks like he wants to headbutt Trump at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭serfboard

I would guess that CNN have made the calculation that, encouraged by Trump, any Republicans who were still watching, have turned off CNN by now, never to return, so they don't lose anything by becoming less "balanced".

In fact, you could argue that if they, and their ilk, hadn't been so desperate to appear to be balanced, and had done proper due diligence on Trump, he wouldn't have been elected in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

serfboard wrote: »
    I would guess that CNN have made the calculation that, encouraged by Trump, any Republicans who were still watching, have turned off CNN by now, never to return, so they don't lose anything by becoming less "balanced".

In fact, you could argue that if they, and their ilk, hadn't been so desperate to appear to be balanced, and had done proper due diligence on Trump, he wouldn't have been elected in the first place.

TBF, they don't need to put any negative spin on most stories, simply ask relevant questions. When they don't get answers, they repeat and people claim they are focusing on only one issue.

Take the test result as an example. There is simply no reasonable reason to refuse to give that out. Sure they can hide behind the HIPA (or whatever medical privacy is covered by) but it is clearly in the countries interests to know that.

On the vast majority of occasions Trump is either lying, or simply doesn't know what he is talking about. CNN tend to cal him out on that. So at this stage they appear to have taken the view that he is always lying, and that is a perfectly reasonable position to take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭Bozacke

CNN May be anti-Trump, but unlike Trump and Fox, CNN hasn’t lied. It’s a sad day when a network seems biased because they report about the corruption and lies from a President. Not too long ago, that was the job of a News Network, to uncover the lies. But I guess Fox and Trump have changed that and because of that, idiots call out CNN for doing their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,155 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Leroy42 wrote: »
    TBF, they don't need to put any negative spin on most stories, simply ask relevant questions. When they don't get answers, they repeat and people claim they are focusing on only one issue.

Take the test result as an example. There is simply no reasonable reason to refuse to give that out. Sure they can hide behind the HIPA (or whatever medical privacy is covered by) but it is clearly in the countries interests to know that.

On the vast majority of occasions Trump is either lying, or simply doesn't know what he is talking about. CNN tend to cal him out on that. So at this stage they appear to have taken the view that he is always lying, and that is a perfectly reasonable position to take.

If anything CNN are too kind to Trump, most of the time trying to get the Trump campaign perspective on the lie of the day. The Trump spokespeople then lie and twist about his previous lies.

I'd like to think Irish media would deal with it better but I have my doubts. They've never had to deal with that consistent level of lies and the lack of shame about the lies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,830 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

The court battle over the number of drop-in ballot boxes in Texas seems to be ongoing, with Fox News reporting that the appeals court had put a hold on a federal court ruling that the GOP Governor's order restricting Texas state counties to only one [1] box per county was unlawful. Harris county with 2.5 million residents only one drop-in box for those who want to use it instead of queueing at a voting centre next month. CNN is reporting that a judge gave a more recent ruling that the governors was set aside. Other federal courts in different states have also issued ruling overturning GOP-run local govt laws aimed at reducing the numbers of drop-in box available to voters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,059 ✭✭✭✭listermint

aloyisious wrote: »
    The court battle over the number of drop-in ballot boxes in Texas seems to be ongoing, with Fox News reporting that the appeals court had put a hold on a federal court ruling that the GOP Governor's order restricting Texas state counties to only one [1] box per county was unlawful. Harris county with 2.5 million residents only one drop-in box for those who want to use it instead of queueing at a voting centre next month. CNN is reporting that a judge gave a more recent ruling that the governors was set aside. Other federal courts in different states have also issued ruling overturning GOP-run local govt laws aimed at reducing the numbers of drop-in box available to voters.

I mean of this alone doesn't turn your average republicans stomach... What will. And I mean average republican not die hard trump fan.

• Advertisement

Honestly can't tell if I'm watching sky news or a Saturday Night Live sketch.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement