Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Overheal wrote: »
    What's the tldr on Vienna? What's this?

AK-47 clad terrorists shouting something that rhymes with snack bar. But they have strict guns laws in Austria and these guys still got guns, so everyone should have guns...or something.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

CNN just said Trump's said if re-elected he will fire Dr Fauci.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,368 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

CNN just said Trump's said if re-elected he will fire Dr Fauci.

I'd imagine he'll fire him if he loses too, purely out of spite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭amandstu

I'd imagine he'll fire him if he loses too, purely out of spite.

He can't fire him directly so he would have to appoint someone else to do it.

If he had lost he might find it hard to find some patsy to follow his directions.

If he loses convincingly and tries to cause trouble we may actually start to enjoy the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,825 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

We just have to hope Trump fan-base members don't start "checking" on the validity of voters I/D's at polling stations. I wish the best to all the voters from whatever belief turning out to vote today and that their vote actually counts above any other part of the U.S electoral system. Trump will probably behave as usual if things don't go his way, issuing executive and firing orders by tweet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭dogbert27

What sitting president has ever had to do this to the White House on an election day?

35170868-0-image-m-4_1604368152687.jpg

Says it all really about Trump as a president.

He seems really confident of winning this though, a little too confident. It's been said in here before that he accuses others of what he himself is guilty of, vote rigging?!

I'm actually expecting a Trump win at this point at this administration has shown consistently that it has no morals or respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

dogbert27 wrote: »
    What sitting president has ever had to do this to the White House on an election day?

He seems really confident of winning this though, a little too confident. It's been said in here before that he accuses others of what he himself is guilty of, vote rigging?!

I'm actually expecting a Trump win at this point at this administration has shown consistently that it has no morals or respect.
    Is that to keep other people out or to keep him in?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭hirondelle

It is beyond merely symbolic isn't it?

Four years after he decried "American Carnage", and the only wall he managed to build was built to keep US citizens out of the White House.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Even if he loses we haven't heard the last of him. His base will continue to support him and denounce the result, he will stoke further division and even if Biden gets into the WH he will continue his attacks and crave attention. Do we really believe he will go back to running golf courses? There is also the spectre of right wing extremist violence. As Biden tries to take the heat down nationwide DT will continue to do the opposite, grooming Don Jr or Ivanka for the the next election. A Biden victory would be a lifesaver for the US, but as long as DT and his ilk are around the future will always be uncertain.

This sh!t show is far from over, but kicking him out means the US at least has a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,523 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Even if he loses we haven't heard the last of him. His base will continue to support him and denounce the result, he will stoke further division and even if Biden gets into the WH he will continue his attacks and crave attention. Do we really believe he will go back to running golf courses? There is also the spectre of right wing extremist violence. As Biden tries to take the heat down nationwide DT will continue to do the opposite, grooming Don Jr or Ivanka for the the next election. A Biden victory would be a lifesaver for the US, but as long as DT and his ilk are around the future will always be uncertain.

This sh!t show is far from over, but kicking him out means the US at least has a chance.

Plus he's liable to prosecution once he loses the job

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

He'll take a while to disappear, but I don't see how he could be grooming Jr or Ivanka for anything political, he'd have to be competent at politics himself for that to happen. Don Jr will potentially take over as chief shouty person but he's not going to be doing anything political other than screaming from the side lines. It's possible that the GoP could try to train Ivanka in how to actually do politics properly, but that isn't something that she's going to learn from anyone called Trump.

If the republicans decide that they need an attractive blonde to run against Harris in 4 years time as Biden decides not to run for a second term then Ivanka could be that person, but she'd need to learn some proper politics in the next couple of years as hopefully some form of normality will now return.

Shouting three word slogans that you then fail to deliver on isn't going to be enough to get the presidency again...hopefully.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The only immediate change I see in terms of international topography might be that the UK government suddenly finds itself a White House less predisposed to their mishandling of the Brexit withdrawal agreement - and endangerment of the Good Friday Agreement. Trump seemed passively supportive of Brexit, but otherwise apathetic (like much else internationally). As I understand it, The Americans political establishment is fiercely protective of the GFA and a Biden Presidency may be very hostile to a London that puts it under thread through whatever nonsense stratagem Johnson & co is currently playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,040 ✭✭✭✭Penn

robinph wrote: »
    He'll take a while to disappear, but I don't see how he could be grooming Jr or Ivanka for anything political, he'd have to be competent at politics himself for that to happen. Don Jr will potentially take over as chief shouty person but he's not going to be doing anything political other than screaming from the side lines. It's possible that the GoP could try to train Ivanka in how to actually do politics properly, but that isn't something that she's going to learn from anyone called Trump.

If the republicans decide that they need an attractive blonde to run against Harris in 4 years time as Biden decides not to run for a second term then Ivanka could be that person, but she'd need to learn some proper politics in the next couple of years as hopefully some form of normality will now return.

Shouting three word slogans that you then fail to deliver on isn't going to be enough to get the presidency again...hopefully.

The trouble Ivanka would face is that she won't want to be seen to be as cruel and callous and dismissive of others as Trump has been, but she's forever linked to all his actions in office and will have to either defend the things she's trying to claim she had no influence over or will have to try claim she was always against those things (which would make her role as an advisor to the President completely redundant).

She tries to sound political and correct, but in doing so she's intrinsically linked and hampered by her role in Don Sr's administration without having the Trump thing that Dons Sr and Jr do where they can just be shouty and dismissive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hate to say it, but Jr is more equipped to make a splash post-daddy than Ivanka. Simply because he owns his demagoguery, he's a loud brash presence who at worst might find himself with a brief career on Fox or OANN. He's a performative àsshole. Ivanka is an empty suit, a factory model blond "beauty" who never had to attain things like personality or charisma to get ahead. She seems an empty vessel of flat platitudes. Some parts of America still love those Stepford types but remembering the time she tried to chat with Christian Lagarde, she was hopelessly out of her depth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Penn wrote: »
    The trouble Ivanka would face is that she won't want to be seen to be as cruel and callous and dismissive of others as Trump has been.

That cruelty, and callousness, and dismissiveness, and all the other obnoxious qualities they bring to the party are kind of their thing. That's what inspires the loyalty in their supporters. They want to stick it to the "Other". They are also deathly afraid of becoming the "Other". They are the bully's craven sidekick who revel in their big buddy's nastiness. They will do everything they can to stay in the bully's toxic shadow, but will shrink away very quickly if the bully is absent. If Ivanka wants to go anywhere politically with the current Trump supporter mob she will have to be that horrible petty bitter thug her father is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,049 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Ah look a wall been built only took 4 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭Bozacke

Trump’s wall is finally finished.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

The only hope Trump has of passing the baton on to a family member or some other supporter is winning this election. If he loses, it signals a rejection of his style of politics by the electorate and the Republican party isn't going to be looking for more of the same and is instead likely to look for a candidate capable of recapturing the middle ground.

Now, you could argue that GW Bush was a one term president and George W Bush was subsequently elected, but Bush Snr was very different from Trump, unremarkable as Republicans go rather than the radical departure from the status quo that Trump represents. The only hope of a continuation of Trumpism is if Americans today say "yes, more of this please".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭Bozacke

AMKC wrote: »
    82 per cent of Irish people want Biden to win.

Go Joe Biden Go Kamala Harris.

Let's hope for all our sakes and for our sanity that they win.

I’m shocked it’s only 82%, I don’t know any Irish person (in Ireland) that supports Trump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,040 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The only hope Trump has of passing the baton on to a family member or some other supporter is winning this election. If he loses, it signals a rejection of his style of politics by the electorate and the Republican party isn't going to be looking for more of the same and is instead likely to look for a candidate capable of recapturing the middle ground.

Now, you could argue that GW Bush was a one term president and George W Bush was subsequently elected, but Bush Snr was very different from Trump, unremarkable as Republicans go rather than the radical departure from the status quo that Trump represents. The only hope of a continuation of Trumpism is if Americans today say "yes, more of this please".

The trouble is the primaries, same way Trump Sr got in. Most of the GOP rejected Trump entering, but once the votes started piling in for him they fell in line behind him. The GOP may not support Don Jr going for President, but if he were to start pulling in primary votes, they'll get in line even just for another 4 year stint to try grab as much for themselves as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,867 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Bozacke wrote: »
    I’m shocked it’s only 82%, I don’t know any Irish person (in Ireland) that supports Trump.

I know a few IRL, but they all support his bombast rather than any substantial policy.
    They are all also conspiracy theorists and racists.
    Very much subscribers to the great replacement.

The polarisation of US politics gives some the chance to be edgy by just being contrarian and supporting the outsider.
    Unfortunately electing Trump and his outsider promise to drain the swamp, has led to a far larger swamp aswell as the house burning down.

I think supporting Trump has become so indefensible there could be a cohort who are quiet about their beliefs who don't mind admitting to it on an anonymous poll.

It's a bit like:

Fr Damo: Here Dougal, who do you prefer, Oasis or Blur?
    Dougal: Blur
    Fr Damo(in disgust): Whaaa?
    Dougal: I mean, Oasis!

For the non American, Trump is that crystallisation of a very specific type of loud vulgarian, someone who speaks their mind with no filter or sense of common courtesy. All those mean spirited thoughts most of us grew out of after adolescence. Given any slice of life you'll always find a percentage who find this indulgence of one's inner Ignorant Príck alluring. It's just numbers and like it's said above, not about trump's actual beliefs. Some simply rail against common decency implied in the social contract, the "do gooders" in life, whatever shape they take. Some people, to be blunt, are àssholes and Trump is how they'd love to behave if they were rich or powerful enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,523 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I know two. One used to carry around a copy of mein kampf in secondary school, and the other continually espouses the virtue of the words of John Waters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,083 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Hello, Irish born and bread trump supporter since day one here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,083 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

duploelabs wrote: »
    I know two. One used to carry around a copy of mein kampf in secondary school, and the other continually espouses the virtue of the words of John Waters
    Those two are idiots (no offence) and there are such idiots on both sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I know several people in real life who don’t like trump but they say while the think he’s not good for America, they still believe there is a chance he’ll be re-elected. It’s possibly a result of 2016 and how that election went. We shall see in twelve hours time we won’t know the full results but we most likely will have a good idea of trends forming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,825 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Regretfully there were a few on RTE's 7 to 9 AM news praising him as an employer & saying they want him re-elected but they were residents local to his golf course in Doonbeg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭endainoz

ELM327 wrote: »

Spelling ability checks out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,058 ✭✭✭✭listermint

ELM327 wrote: »

Born and bred.... Read your words back and have a think about that for a minute.

Is there not something wrong in that statement. I mean it's not like a football team.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement