Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,617 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

ELM327 wrote: »
    If the Donald does lose then I'd love to see this.

But he will be 78, he'll be too old according to all of the Trump supporters on here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Can see him running off to Russia after his presidency where he can't be touched.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Can see him running off to Russia after his presidency where he can't be touched.

I'm thinking that, if he loses, the very first letter he'll get will be divorce papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Has a US President ever been convicted of anything after their term? I'd imagine the Dems are worried about creating a precedent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,058 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Has a US President ever been convicted of anything after their term? I'd imagine the Dems are worried about creating a precedent.

Precident of what... Going after criminality. I thought law and order was a big sell in the states...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I don’t think so. Nixon would have been had Gerald Ford not helped him out. Spiro Agnew Nixon’s VP was charged after he resigned on tax issues but no I can’t think it any had and surely it would have been recorded to history had that happened. Although America hasn’t ever had a president like trump so the norms don’t apply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,629 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Civil stability might override the push to charge him esp on the Fed side.

Water John wrote: »

Possibly. When Nixon resigned(and yes I’ve watch tv footage from 40 years ago) the general tone of the coverage was to just move on and try and unite the country. That is bar roger mudd who after Nixon’s speech was giving zero ****s and laid into Nixon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

This is a big factor alright, but just letting him away with all the criminality will set the US up for even crazier stuff in the future. A new super-sketchy president would be assured that they could do *anything*, literally anything and be pardoned afterwards. It might be a good route for anyone looking to get cleared of crimes they committed before their presidency too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,629 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The Quid Pro Quo might be codifying all that up to now were taken as by common agreement. For example seeking a nomination for President, you shall do the following, releasing your tax returns, divesting yourself of any interests etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,049 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Nixon

This well I hope this

Nixon

Nixon wasn’t convicted of anything.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Nixon wasn’t convicted of anything.

He was pardoned before he could so we can't really say what would have happen if the pardon had waited

I was seeing where Trump was saying counting should be done on election night and none after. I wonder what Bush Jnr would say about that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

I was seeing where Trump was saying counting should be done on election night and none after. I wonder what Bush Jnr would say about that

That whole angle of completing the count on election night is bizarre. I am compelled to think that it's at least partly inspired by Trump's pure ignorance of politics and the election process. He's seen other election nights on TV where they've had a good idea what way it's going and he just assumed that all the counts had been completed. I would not be hugely surprised if Trump's own vote this time was only his second ever time casting a vote in a presidential election.

I’d say bush jr would say you’re wrong and thanks for making me not look like a complete joke. Also 2004 he had to wait until the next day. As Tom brockaw said twenty years ago tonight, the law says the election must take place on the first Tuesday in November, it says nothing about having to know the result late on the first Tuesday or on the first Wednesday of November.

Looks like according to CNN Trump is launching a court battle in Pennsylvania mail ballots

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Which would be assinine in the extreme and could well spell the end of American democracy, by allowing anyone in 0ower to do anything they want with zero repercussions. Don't mean to sound abrasive there, it's just that it's possibly the worst thing the democrats could do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    As Tom brockaw said twenty years ago tonight, the law says the election must take place on the first Tuesday in November, it says nothing about having to know the result late on the first Tuesday or on the first Wednesday of November.

No, it doesn't. But the date for knowing the results is, in fact, set out in black and white: the Monday after the second Wednesday in December. That's when the Electoral College meets, and it's only by then that a final tally is required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,562 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Any idea when we'll get some results in from the swing states?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Headshot wrote: »
    Any idea when we'll get some results in from the swing states?

2-3am unless its close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,562 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Just really have an awful bad feeling that Biden wont get across the line :(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

Really? At this stage Trump needs some serious luck and needs the polls to be wrong again just like in 2016.

I think he's gonna run out of luck tonight. His first mistake was getting people who voted for him in 2016 to turn against him in his first term. You can do that all you want in your second term as it makes no difference as you can't run for a third term.

He turned his own supporters against him in the first four years. That was a big mistake and he only has himself to blame for that.

Fox News should be going live in a minute.

Other than something that could do me direct harm I've never been so nervous about something that on paper should be no issue whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭rosser44

Other than something that could do me direct harm I've never been so nervous about something that on paper should be no issue whatsoever.

Something I've been saying for a while is that if trump gets reelected, it'll be the last presidential election in America.

Trump doesn't want to be president of a democracy, he wants to be a dictator with supreme power. Everything he has said and done hints at this.

rosser44 wrote: »
    Something I've been saying for a while is that if trump gets reelected, it'll be the last presidential election in America.

Trump doesn't want to be president of a democracy, he wants to be a dictator with supreme power. Everything he has said and done hints at this.

Biden will win the popular vote tonight and it will be mean the Democrats have won 7 of the last 8 popular votes. If Trump squeaks in they'll do all they can to make some changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭rosser44

Biden will win the popular vote tonight and it will be mean the Democrats have won 7 of the last 8 popular votes. If Trump squeaks in they'll do all they can to make some changes.

Winning the Senate is probably more important for the Dems than the presidency, the senate is needed in order to close up the loopholes that let McConnell ride roughshod over the country for the last 4 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,825 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Looks like according to CNN Trump is launching a court battle in Pennsylvania mail ballots

He's apparently submitted an emergency request for a court hearing on the Nevada count. I can't get over the apparent fact that he thinks that all the counting must stop at midnight tonight and that he expects all the people to think that's a reasonable belief to hold, given the numbers who voted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement