Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Jack1985

aloyisious wrote: »
    Governor Kemp has gone to court suing the Mayor of Atlanta over her issuing ordinances for the city on wearing masks, claiming [with his state AG giving a backing opinion] that he is the only one who can issue laws making the wearing of masks mandatory anywhere in the state of Georgia.

Kemp himself has agreed that people must have the choice on wearing masks to protect themselves from the virus but refuses to make the wearing mandatory though he knows the virus is now on the upswing and its medically advisable to wear masks. I don't know why he's taking this course except for political purposes, aping his president in politicizing the wearing of masks and dragging out the long term effects of the virus, giving the virus a boost in life.

He met his idol on the tarmac at Hartsfield Jackson Airport two days ago - Everything is political and Americans will pay the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,810 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Jack1985 wrote: »
    He met his idol on the tarmac at Hartsfield Jackson Airport two days ago - Everything is political and Americans will pay the price.

Was that the one where the rear of the year had his back turned to the media, being coy about letting them see if he was wearing a mask? I cant see him or Kemp getting on to multi-chain firms and businesses about their having the wearing of masks mandatory on their premises, despite his view on masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

aloyisious wrote: »
    Was that the one where the rear of the year had his back turned to the media, being coy about letting them see if he was wearing a mask?........

Well he didn't do it very successfully then. There are ample photos with neither of the pair of them wearing a mask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭abff

Just saw the following online. Trump really is some piece of work.

In an interview addressing race relations last Monday, -- this one with conservative outlet Townhall -- President Trump offered a full throated defense for the actions of a white St. Louis couple who pointed guns at protesters who marched by their mansion.

"They were going to be beat up badly if they were lucky, if they were lucky they were going to be beat up badly,"
    the president said of the couple, without providing any evidence of that and authorities have not said so. "And the house was going to be totally ransacked and probably burned down like they've tried to burn down churches," he continued.

In defending the couple, Trump claimed that they legally owned the firearms and called it a "disgrace" that they could be prosecuted for their actions.

How can he get away with making outrageous statements like that, with absolutely no basis in truth? I presume he realises that he’s effectively giving carte blanche to rich white people to point guns at black people if they come anywhere near their property? And what happens when one of these guns goes off and injures or kills somebody? Will we see a huge escalation in the number of presidential pardons being granted?

Even for Trump, this has to be one of the most egregious examples of pandering to his base that I’ve ever seen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Well Trump can celebrate America has hit a new world record! 77,255 new cases of Corona yesterday which is 3x as many as they reported three weeks ago (though Brazil is working on giving them a run for the money). USA is now closing in rapidly on having a QUARTER of all recorded cases of Corona in the world. As for putting this in perspective; this is USA vs. Europe. Notice a difference in how the curves work out over time and the fact Europe has 2.25x the population vs. USA?

Corona.jpg

Data and slide taken from ourworldindata.org.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Inquitus wrote: »
    The CDC website has already stopped showing hospitalisation numbers, sadly!

https://twitter.com/charlesornstein/status/1283754463086481410

But it's those pesky Chinese and their virus that really, really fudge the numbers...

Double think and manipulation in the home of democracy and transparent governance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭eldamo

I know it aint direct from the donald, but his supporters clearly got the memo to undermine Fauci at all costs.

https://www.eastonspectator.com/2020/07/15/clay-clark-calls-bill-gates-a-pedophile-live-on-newsmax/

At first I thought this was pretty outrageous, but I suppose, letting someone say this unchallenged tells you all you need to know about the quality of a news source, I am not familar with Newsmax, but they are now filed in the same category as ONAN (OAN, i know).

Again, it's not even cognitive dissonance, it is just pure lack of shame associating someone else with epstein and ignorning trumps photos with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

eldamo wrote: »
    I know it aint direct from the donald, but his supporters clearly got the memo to undermine Fauci at all costs.

https://www.eastonspectator.com/2020/07/15/clay-clark-calls-bill-gates-a-pedophile-live-on-newsmax/

At first I thought this was pretty outrageous, but I suppose, letting someone say this unchallenged tells you all you need to know about the quality of a news source, I am not familar with Newsmax, but they are now filed in the same category as ONAN (OAN, i know).

Again, it's not even cognitive dissonance, it is just pure lack of shame associating someone else with epstein and ignorning trumps photos with him.

That website is basically a conspiracy blog. Flat Earth, anti- vaccine etc. Mad as a box of frogs.

That website is basically a conspiracy blog. Flat Earth, anti- vaccine etc. Mad as a box of frogs.

ah yeah, sorry, not the website, just the video, a girl I used to know now lives in pensylvania and shares bat**** stuff all day on facebook, I couldn't share the video from the facebook link, and that is just the first place I found it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

73k new cases in 24 hours, Fauci was right when he said we could see 100k a day, that's the way it is going!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

This site models out projections for Covid Impact across the globe.

The US data makes for sobering reading.

The current projection is for 225k deaths by November 1st in the US if they hold things as they are , 240k if they continue with the easing of restrictions.

They also show that up to 60k lives could be saved between now and November 1st if mask wearing was pervasive.

Comparing the US data to the rest of the world just shows the utterly awful position the US has gotten itself into..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,694 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Comparing the US data to the rest of the world just shows the utterly awful position the US has gotten itself into..

And this is the bit that gets me the most. Even if people believe the stuff pedaled by Trump about the Kung Fu flu, or the China Virus or whatever name is picks, the fact that he has shown no ability to defend the US from such a threat should be worrying each and every American citizen.

If ones accepts his argument that it is all the fault of the Chinese, then how worrying is it that it has basically brought the US to its knees in such a short space of time?

It was the same with the Russian election interference. It was twisted to such a political sense that the actual danger was forgotten about and it ended up which side, GOP of DNC, would win out. The actual threat to US democracy was completely forgotten about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,816 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Leroy42 wrote: »
    And this is the bit that gets me the most. Even if people believe the stuff pedaled by Trump about the Kung Fu flu, or the China Virus or whatever name is picks, the fact that he has shown no ability to defend the US from such a threat should be worrying each and every American citizen.

If ones accepts his argument that it is all the fault of the Chinese, then how worrying is it that it has basically brought the US to its knees in such a short space of time?

It was the same with the Russian election interference. It was twisted to such a political sense that the actual danger was forgotten about and it ended up which side, GOP of DNC, would win out. The actual threat to US democracy was completely forgotten about.

Trump is a massive part of the problem. 95% plus because if the office of the President of the US is in any way as powerful as everyone says it is, it absolutely should be able to strategise a cohesive response to a medical emergency.

But, the problem is also America's society and their 'Land of the Free' mantra which they put above all else without ever analysing what that actually means or how they benefit from it. If they truly believed in it, they wouldn't accept a system where Health Care is tied to employment so much. So much of the problem is exacerbated by 'I know my rights' idiots who refuse to think of any sort of greater good.

The Georgia Governor suing the Atlanta Mayor for enforcing the wearing of masks should be something they, as a society, step back and say 'Hang on, we've taken a wrong turn here'.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,192 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I know why he can't but the easiest thing for him to do would have been to do photo opportunities while listening to Dr. Facui and he'd have a much better chance in the upcoming election. You look at Leo Varadkar's ratings of over 70% when he stepped down. Countries are dealing with this for the first time so nobody is coming out of this smelling like roses but people clearly appreciate their leaders taking expert advice and showing solidarity. Trump does neither.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,374 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

The thing is China probably are to blame for not doing things right at the start and possibly for other related things time might tell but blaming them and giving it monikers like Kung flu does absolutely nothing to stem what’s happening, he decided to look for for someone to blame as his first reaction rather than try to stop the spread. This sums the sort of man he is up in a nutshell.

salmocab wrote: »
    The thing is China probably are to blame for not doing things right at the start and possibly for other related things time might tell but blaming them and giving it monikers like Kung flu does absolutely nothing to stem what’s happening, he decided to look for for someone to blame as his first reaction rather than try to stop the spread. This sums the sort of man he is up in a nutshell.

Far better suited to being a hurler on the ditch than in a position to actually be held accountable.

He has tried for his whole presidency to blame others for failures and claim they successes as his own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,834 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=314237529731521

Lindsey Graham video

I just think its funny that, even though Graham recorded this video himself, and was able to put up a crystal clear version of it earlier in the week that I watched, he now has this one with a fearmongering caption and this "static noise" filter over the video, as if trying to signify that the 'liberals' are trying to jam his broadcast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,132 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I know why he can't but the easiest thing for him to do would have been to do photo opportunities while listening to Dr. Facui and he'd have a much better chance in the upcoming election. You look at Leo Varadkar's ratings of over 70% when he stepped down. Countries are dealing with this for the first time so nobody is coming out of this smelling like roses but people clearly appreciate their leaders taking expert advice and showing solidarity. Trump does neither.

I think our government has made plenty of mistakes, but Leo has at least fronted up and not spoke like a child when asked about it.

Even Boris has been much more professional than Trump thus his and Leo's ratings been fine.

Its crazy as the demo most affected are seniors which are his base, so even ignoring his initial terribly slow reaction to it, he has had time over last few months to try and get a better grasp of it or at least pretend to give a ****.

He genuinely got bored of it I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Ruth Ginsburg receiving chemotherapy treatment. That is going to be tough for an 87 year old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,051 ✭✭✭✭josip

Ruth Ginsburg receiving chemotherapy treatment. That is going to be tough for an 87 year old.

Hopefully not being too callous, but how long does it take to reappoint a Supreme Court Justice?
    By what date would her passing be too late for even Mitch McConnell to take advantage?
    And once an outgoing President nominates a Justice, is there anything an incoming president can do after that?

• Advertisement

josip wrote: »
    Hopefully not being too callous, but how long does it take to reappoint a Supreme Court Justice?
    By what date would her passing be too late for even Mitch McConnell to take advantage?

By their own reckoning it already should be, but won't. McConnell's own comments this year suggest they would confirm a justice minutes before swearing in the next Congress if it came down to it.

Look at what the GOP did in Minessota: they lost the Governorship, so the state legislature and the lame duck governor rushed to dismantle the executive power of the governor, most of which they themselves put into it, for themselves of course.
    Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker has signed a sweeping package of Republican-authored lame-duck legislation that restricts early voting and weakens the incoming Democratic governor and attorney general.

The measures restrict early in-person voting to two weeks before an election. The legislation gives Republicans control of the state jobs creation agency, and blocks Democratic Gov.-elect Tony Evers from withdrawing Wisconsin from a multi-state lawsuit challenging the Affordable Care Act.

The bills also serve to eliminate the state Justice Department's solicitor general's office and allow legislators to intervene in state lawsuits, ensuring they can defend Republican policies if Democratic Attorney General-elect Josh Kaul won't.

Evers is ripping Republican incumbent Walker for signing the legislation, issuing a statement saying Walker is ignoring the will of voters who elected him. The Governor-elect says the people asked politicians on Election Day to solve problems, not "pick petty, political fights."

He added that the people of Wisconsin should expect more than what they've gotten over the last few weeks.

Walker ignored pleas from Democrats and some Republicans to veto the measures, saying enacting them tarnishes his legacy.

https://www.kare11.com/article/news/politics/walker-signs-lame-duck-legislation-despite-pleas/89-9cf65aba-f1b9-450e-8040-edaf54689911

Of course, the State Supreme Court later upheld the lame duck laws, being a stacked Republican bench itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

RBGs cancer has returned I read.

Very sorry to hear that for more than just the obvious reasons.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

RBGs cancer has returned I read.

Very sorry to hear that for more than just the obvious reasons.

Assume the GOP would conveniently forget about not picked a Chief Justice in an election year should the worst happen?

Inquitus wrote: »
    Assume the GOP would conveniently forget about not picked a Chief Justice in an election year should the worst happen?

No McConnell has already said he'll fill the seat. They don't really attempt to hide the hypocrisy or anything, doesn't bother their voters so doesn't bother them

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,374 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

No McConnell has already said he'll fill the seat. They don't really attempt to hide the hypocrisy or anything, doesn't bother their voters so doesn't bother them

Democrats need to make it clear though that if the rules are gone then they’re gone. In the long run democrats are likely to take power more often than not as people in general are getting more liberal and whatever The GOP does now will have future implications, Mc Connell won’t care but future politicians should know who caused their problems.

I think if we get to that, it's one of the few issues that will push me to travel out to DC, and I'd do so lawfully armed.

Overheal wrote: »
    I think if we get to that, it's one of the few issues that will push me to travel out to DC, and I'd do so lawfully armed.

To what end?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Overheal wrote: »
    By their own reckoning it already should be, but won't. McConnell's own comments this year suggest they would confirm a justice minutes before swearing in the next Congress if it came down to it.

Look at what the GOP did in Minessota: they lost the Governorship, so the state legislature and the lame duck governor rushed to dismantle the executive power of the governor, most of which they themselves put into it, for themselves of course.

https://www.kare11.com/article/news/politics/walker-signs-lame-duck-legislation-despite-pleas/89-9cf65aba-f1b9-450e-8040-edaf54689911

Of course, the State Supreme Court later upheld the lame duck laws, being a stacked Republican bench itself.

Having an election but then waiting two months before you hand over power to the person who won is the height of stupidity. Yes you need to have time for a transition between the sides, but the outgoing side should loose their power to do anything the second the vote results are declared.

To what end?

To the 2nd amendment that I'm eternally told is so great and its use as a right to combat tyranny, especially in this case hypocrites that virtue signal except when it is time to secure lifetime-appointed power for themselves.

• Advertisement

Yep, allowing someone to burn the place to the ground after they lose is idiotic and obviously not something foreseen by the founders.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement