Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,817 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

1123heavy wrote: »
    2016 - 2019: Trump conspired with Russia and the election was rigged. Endless investigations.

2020: Elections cannot be rigged by anybody, how dare you insult democracy by even suggesting so. No we won't investigate a thing.

Incredible the difference mere months can make :rolleyes:

BS

Linky link

JOINT STATEMENT FROM ELECTIONS INFRASTRUCTURE GOVERNMENT COORDINATING COUNCIL & THE ELECTION INFRASTRUCTURE SECTOR COORDINATING EXECUTIVE COMMITTEES
    WASHINGTON – The members of Election Infrastructure Government Coordinating Council (GCC) Executive Committee – Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) Assistant Director Bob Kolasky, U.S. Election Assistance Commission Chair Benjamin Hovland, National Association of Secretaries of State (NASS) President Maggie Toulouse Oliver, National Association of State Election Directors (NASED) President Lori Augino, and Escambia County (Florida) Supervisor of Elections David Stafford – and the members of the Election Infrastructure Sector Coordinating Council (SCC) – Chair Brian Hancock (Unisyn Voting Solutions), Vice Chair Sam Derheimer (Hart InterCivic), Chris Wlaschin (Election Systems & Software), Ericka Haas (Electronic Registration Information Center), and Maria Bianchi (Democracy Works) - released the following statement:

“The November 3rd election was the most secure in American history. Right now, across the country, election officials are reviewing and double checking the entire election process prior to finalizing the result.

“When states have close elections, many will recount ballots. All of the states with close results in the 2020 presidential race have paper records of each vote, allowing the ability to go back and count each ballot if necessary. This is an added benefit for security and resilience. This process allows for the identification and correction of any mistakes or errors. There is no evidence that any voting system deleted or lost votes, changed votes, or was in any way compromised.

“Other security measures like pre-election testing, state certification of voting equipment, and the U.S. Election Assistance Commission’s (EAC) certification of voting equipment help to build additional confidence in the voting systems used in 2020.

“While we know there are many unfounded claims and opportunities for misinformation about the process of our elections, we can assure you we have the utmost confidence in the security and integrity of our elections, and you should too. When you have questions, turn to elections officials as trusted voices as they administer elections.”

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Again?? Really? Nobody ever claimed the 2016 election was rigged. It was claimed that Russia had interfered and that Trump and his associates had both knowledge of that and facilitated it.

Not once, unless of course you have the evidence of it, was it alleged that the voting system was compromised.

Tbh the Russia investigation was the greatest propaganda gift the Trump admin could have asked for in this current context, in that they can just gaslight the populace into thinking that it was about election rigging when it was about colluding with a foreign power to mislead the public with illegally obtained info. Nothing with ballots being interfered with.

These are entirely different things but the soundbyte is enormously effective and will be deployed for the next four years ad nauseum. Also those who know better will just decide to ignore this and continue to go along with it if it makes Trump look better here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,824 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Tbh the Russia investigation was the greatest propaganda gift the Trump admin could have asked for in this current context, in that they can just gaslight the populace into thinking that it was about election rigging when it was about colluding with a foreign power to mislead the public with illegally obtained info. Nothing with ballots being interfered with.

These are entirely different things but the soundbyte is enormously effective and will be deployed for the next four years ad nauseum. Also those who know better will just decide to ignore this and continue to go along with it if it makes Trump look better here.

Trump's got the gift of the gab, a fluent speaker who influences people, is the greatest liar added to which is his brazen way of just saying "fake news" and confounds those who confront him by walking on by and not arguing with them. The truth doesn't matter to him, he'll lie to anyone who tries dealing with him. If he ever physically appears before a judge for trial, he'll do the same there. Imprisonment on contempt charges will be the only way for any judge to bust his flush.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Detritus70

aloyisious wrote: »
    Trump's got the gift of the gab, is the greatest liar added to which is his brazen way of just saying "fake news" and confounds those who confront him by walking on by and not arguing with them. The truth doesn't matter to him, he'll lie to anyone who tries dealing with him. If he ever physically appears before a judge for trial, he'll do the same there. Imprisonment on contempt charges will be the only way for any judge to bust his flush.

Trump is very much the embodiment of Emperor's New Clothes.
    A child can see through his disguise, he's a vulgar POS that lives on nothing but razzle dazzle. He has absolutely nothing to back it up, he's an odious, overbearing, child and he zero skills other than to appear successful.
    The people falling for him either have the IQ of an empty pizza box or they go along with his charade because he makes hate ok.
    It's impossible to be fooled by his poor cardboard disguise. Anyone following him knows exactly what he is. And they're ok with that

Fully Automated Luxury Gay Space Communism

Trump's got the gift of the gab, is the greatest liar added to which is his brazen way of just saying "fake news" and confounds those who confront him by walking on by and not arguing with them. The truth doesn't matter to him, he'll lie to anyone who tries dealing with him. If he ever physically appears before a judge for trial, he'll do the same there. Imprisonment on contempt charges will be the only way for any judge to bust his flush.

Completely disagree with this statement in bold.

Trump's oratory skills extend to no more than talking loudly and using absolutely moronic statements such as the referenced 'Fake News'. When he speaks everyone in the room knows when he is lying, except possibly for him. He reminds me of that kid at school who's only retort was 'I know you are but what am I' to any put down.

Michael Healy-Rae would run circles around him when it comes to the gift of the gab.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,606 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Not 100% sure around the lie to judges piece. From memory whenever he has actually had to give depositions, etc... he has a sudden change in personality and behaves a lot more quiet and sombre, so I'd say he'll be doing everything in his power to avoid any kind of public testimony

Completely disagree with this statement in bold.

Trump's oratory skills extend to no more than talking loudly and using absolutely moronic statements such as the referenced 'Fake News'. When he speaks everyone in the room knows when he is lying, except possibly for him. He reminds me of that kid at school who's only retort was 'I know you are but what am I' to any put down.

Michael Healy-Rae would run circles around him when it comes to the gift of the gab.

OK :), you've got me there on the "gift of the gab", I'll save that Irish-ism for better use. He's a fluent speaker who influences people to do things they wouldn't, as thinking adults, normally do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,561 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Interesting read on Trumps up and coming legal battles

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-54716550

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,282 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Trump is psychotic. Simple as.

His lifelong malignant narcissism has always been incompatible with reality, specifically the reality of nuance, degrees of subtlety, the complexity of truth sometimes, that other people see and take for granted.

And so now that underlying condition has developed a psychosis around this situation pillared by paranoia and denial.

The President of the United States is psychotic. And historians will be long occupied treating of the subject, specifically why and how the US Constitution was so damaged and so avoided by those sworn to uphold it, specifically, the VP, the cabinet, the Republican leadership and their teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,687 ✭✭✭✭looksee

OK :), you've got me there on the "gift of the gab", I'll save that Irish-ism for better use. He's a fluent speaker who influences people to do things they wouldn't, as thinking adults, normally do.

I would quibble about fluent too, it implies some sort of a vocabulary and smooth presentation. He is more repetitive - to the point of being hypnotic. You always get the impression that his mouth is motoring but his brain is not in gear, or the right gear anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,626 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Quite appalling to see Scott Atlas is encouraging the people of Michigan to rise up against Governer Withmer because of restrictions she's putting in place. This is sedition and he should be investigated and charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Water John wrote: »
    Quite appalling to see Scott Atlas is encouraging the people of Michigan to rise up against Governer Withmer because of restrictions she's putting in place. This is sedition and he should be investigated and charged.

What will it actually take for that to happen though? For her to be kidnapped and murdered by some looneys?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

What will it actually take for that to happen though? For her to be kidnapped and murdered by some looneys?
    First amendment comes in strong here in limiting things and there's always the Fox channel defense of "No one would take him seriously".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,366 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Every time. What exactly is it about her that they hate so much? She isn't even the only female Democratic Governor in a purple/red state. Laura Kelly is the Governor of Kansas and until I just looked up the wikipedia page of state governors I'd never even heard of her before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,282 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Absolutely. The Michigan Attorney General should indict him and request the FBI to place him in custody for extradition to Lansing for trial. Trump has sought to make these kind of outbursts normal, they must be stamped out and offenders made an example of.

Again, and not picking on you but I must challenge this statement.
    It's true he can have a strange influence on people, Michael Cohen alluded to it in his book and how he was drawn to that.

But this attraction, I think, and Cohen himself suggested, is to do with the perception of power or authority he has. Understandable in Cohen's case when the man he was meeting for the first time was sitting in a lavish office high up in a building with his name on the side of it.
    And you could definitely imagine people being drawn to the power of the office of the President of the United States.

But Trump is most definitely not a fluent speaker. He immediately goes off track and gets defensive through aggressive and dismissive phrasing when challenged. He visually communicates when he is thinking about something off the cuff by slowing down how he is speaking and staring at a fixed point off camera or away from the person he is speaking with until he gathers his thoughts. There is no smooth flow to his speeches but instead sentences are delivered in a kind of isolation from those that preceded it or followed it.

The reason I am pointing this out is that one of the issues I had with Trump getting power was that he was going to influence what was acceptable in terms of public discourse and mannerisms and behaviour towards others and the idea that someone would look at how he speaks and think that this is to be admired and possibly try to take some guidance from him is a bad idea in my view.

This is his response when asked by Sean Hannity what were his goals for his second term.

EbZ53wQWkAExka2.png

That, is anything but fluent.
    Trump is an egotistical bully who is only comfortable when speaking positively about his own achievements who crumbles and attacks when challenged in any way. Check out his response to a journalists question at the outbreak of Covid on what to say to people who are scared right now; Trump 'I say you're a terrible reporter'.

By comparison, check out the speaking abilities of James Baldwin if you want to see what a fluent speaker is actually like.

It's true he can have a strange influence on people, Michael Cohen alluded to it in his book and how he was drawn to that.

But this attraction, I think, and Cohen himself suggested, is to do with the perception of power or authority he has. Understandable in Cohen's case when the man he was meeting for the first time was sitting in a lavish office high up in a building with his name on the side of it.
    And you could definitely imagine people being drawn to the power of the office of the President of the United States.

But Trump is most definitely not a fluent speaker. He immediately goes off track and gets defensive through aggressive and dismissive phrasing when challenged. He visually communicates when he is thinking about something off the cuff by slowing down how he is speaking and staring at a fixed point off camera or away from the person he is speaking with until he gathers his thoughts. There is no smooth flow to his speeches but instead sentences are delivered in a kind of isolation from those that preceded it or followed it.

The reason I am pointing this out is that one of the issues I had with Trump getting power was that he was going to influence what was acceptable in terms of public discourse and mannerisms and behaviour towards others and the idea that someone would look at how he speaks and think that this is to be admired and possibly try to take some guidance from him is a bad idea in my view.

This is his response when asked by Sean Hannity what were his goals for his second term.

EbZ53wQWkAExka2.png

Trump is an egotistical bully who is only comfortable when speaking positively about his own achievements who crumbles and attacks when challenged in any way. Check out his response to a journalists question at the outbreak of Covid on what to say to people who are scared right now; Trump 'I say you're a terrible reporter'.

By comparison, check out the speaking abilities of James Baldwin if you want to see what a fluent speaker is actually like.

I looked up fluent as an alternative to "gift of the gab" and used it instead as amongst it's synonyms are: silver-tongued · persuasive · glib · voluble. I'd like to step away now from debating my use of words to describe how Trump manages to get people to do things they would not, as thinking adults, do normally, if you please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

EbZ53wQWkAExka2.png

That's a truly unfair comparison for Trump.

Baldwin isn't even playing the same sport as Trump, let alone being in the same league as him.

looksee wrote: »
    I would quibble about fluent too, it implies some sort of a vocabulary and smooth presentation. He is more repetitive - to the point of being hypnotic. You always get the impression that his mouth is motoring but his brain is not in gear, or the right gear anyway.

I looked up fluent as an alternative to "gift of the gab" and used it instead as amongst it's synonyms are: silver-tongued · persuasive · glib · voluble. I'd like to step away now from debating my use of words to describe how Trump manages to get people to do things they would not, as thinking adults, do normally, if you please.

That's a truly unfair comparison for Trump.

Baldwin isn't even playing the same sport as Trump, let alone being in the same league as him.

Would you not think that as President, Trumps words are part of the commentary on topics relating to the experiences of life in America for all people?
    And as such, are very similar to the subject matter of many of Baldwins speeches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

But Trump is most definitely not a fluent speaker.

Yeah its not "fluency". However he really does have something that speaks to people (not just Americans IMO). Some magnetism bound up with the power and the wealth and his arrogant attitude but not solely deriving from that either.

For his supporters he definitely tickles a caveman part of the brain crying out for some leader figure and a direction, akin to when people get caught up in cults or religious movements.

I don't get it myself at all, and I don't think I would even if I did not dislike his politics + realise how utterly incompetent and sometimes downright dangerous he has been as US president.

He just makes my head ache to either listen to him ramble or look at him (when he starts gurning in anger/annoyance). I tend to read transcripts/quotes etc rather than subject myself to the pain of his interviews and press conferences.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,155 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

fly_agaric wrote: »
    Yeah its not "fluency". However he really does have something that speaks to people (not just Americans IMO). Some magnetism bound up with the power and the wealth and his arrogant attitude but not solely deriving from that either.

For his supporters he definitely tickles a caveman part of the brain crying out for some leader figure and a direction, akin to when people get caught up in cults or religious movements.

I don't get it myself at all, and I don't think I would even if I did not dislike his politics + realise how utterly incompetent and sometimes downright dangerous he has been as US president.

He just makes my head ache to either listen to him ramble or look at him (when he starts gurning in anger/annoyance). I tend to read transcripts/quotes etc rather than subject myself to the pain of his interviews and press conferences.

It is just the standard approach that strong men politicians have taken since the dawn of time. They offer easy solutions to big, complex, and difficult problems and then demonizes groups of 'others' that can be blamed for all ills in society and why they haven't been more successful.

Normally politicians need to be somewhat good speakers to get the gravitas and following but Trump had it from TV allowing him to play the smart/successful/strong character for years prior to his run.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Foxtrol wrote: »
    It is just the standard approach that strong men politicians have taken since the dawn of time. They offer easy solutions to big, complex, and difficult problems and then demonizes groups of 'others' that can be blamed for all ills in society and why they haven't been more successful.

Normally politicians need to be somewhat good speakers to get the gravitas and following but Trump had it from TV allowing him to play the smart/successful/strong character for years prior to his run.

Those are good points. It is (still) quite a shock to see how this approach to politics has played so very well in the US, as it would in an underdeveloped country. Probably just naivety on my part. It is worrying as if something doesn't change a US "strongman" politician with all the goods (public popularity/magnetism, competence & malice) will emerge to take us all somewhere very dark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Would you not think that as President, Trumps words are part of the commentary on topics relating to the experiences of life in America for all people?
    And as such, are very similar to the subject matter of many of Baldwins speeches.

I don't think you got the point I was taking. Or the movie I stole the thrust of the line from.

Anyways...Trump is a charlatan in almost every facet of his being. Oratory is another.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭20silkcut

fly_agaric wrote: »
    Those are good points. It is (still) quite a shock to see how this approach to politics has played so very well in the US, as it would in an underdeveloped country. Probably just naivety on my part. It is worrying as if something doesn't change a US "strongman" politician with all the goods (public popularity/magnetism, competence & malice) will emerge to take us all somewhere very dark.

Yes that’s the big fear. There may come a time in 10/15 years where we look back at the trump era as being relatively harmless. What trump has demonstrated is that a huge swathe of society is ripe for the picking by any charismatic strong man who can connect with them and will bring them along with any dark misadventure.

We probably went through a period post 1945 and post Stalin etc where strong man authoritarian politics were out of favour particularly in the western world.
    Trump has identified a gap in the market in that regard.
    Really critical that this type of politics is driven back into the ground now.
    Ironically it will probably take a strong man or woman to do it by taking strong decisive action.
    I fear Biden May be soft on Trump when push comes to shove. He can’t afford to be. If there is a chance to jail him it should be grasped with open arms. It’s not just trump but an entire movement that needs to be pushed back against.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Detritus70

Trump was like lifting up a rock and seeing a whole nest of creepy-crawlies that we barely even knew were there.
    Let's hope that they scurry away for now, but some bug spray may be in order.
    Trump and those brain donors from QAnon have international influence, in Germany we have demonstrations by "Querdenkern", lateral thinkers (really conspiracy nuts), people who have fallen hook, line and sinker for that nonsense, they have teamed up with the "Reichsbürger" (people who want the Kaiser back and claim Germany doesn't exist) and lefty loony hippies and other spiritual reality deniers. All these less than intellectually gifted people have been thoroughly exploited by extremist right wing rat catchers.
    Trump has fostered a dangerous climate of anti government, anti science, anti education, anti socialism and certainly anti intellectualism.
    It's kind of a self-made dystopian future that many Americans seem to have an absolute hard-on for.
    It is utterly incomprehensible to me why a large percentage of people choose a destructive course of action, that they take this absolute perverse delight in knowing that people are suffering and even dying because of the president they chose.
    If you look at the absolute insanity that a lot of people display when it comes to Covid, that they absolutely revel in the fact that over 200000 have died, well, I'm just lost for words, there has to be an evolutionary defect that turns vast swathes of people absolutely barking mad.

I know that there are many really good articles and essays along the lines of "why people fall for right wing populists", but I reject any such explanation out of hand.
    There is no comparison of today's life with the 20's and 30's, so the people moaning today are mostly just spoiled brats. Plus, we certainly know from history that turning to extremism invariably is a bad decision.
    Voting for hardliners and populists is like turning to crime. Lots of people have it difficult, but they don't turn to crime or dictators.
    To me it's simple. A lot of people are absolute A-Holes and they are only to happy to vote for another A-Hole and they are happy for any excuse to do so. Real or perceived hard times have absolutely nothing to do with it.
    They're just idiots who yearn for some kind of Mad Max future and reality or consideration for other people don't enter their mind.
    And there's an absolutely frightening amount of them.

Fully Automated Luxury Gay Space Communism

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

20silkcut wrote: »
    We probably went through a period post 1945 and post Stalin etc where strong man authoritarian politics were out of favour particularly in the western world.
    Trump has identified a gap in the market in that regard.
    Really critical that this type of politics is driven back into the ground now.
    Time will tell, but i think it's a little wishful.
    It would require unprecedented bipartisanship to buttress the guardrails of the US. The constitution there is too rigid to change.
    And then there's a whole cohort of ideologues that have this reverent sort of worship of the 'Founding Fathers' and the document they created.
    It really is quite ripe for a full blown fascist state.

I think one of my favourite things about Trump is people (men) who consider themselves "alpha" look up to him as the ultimate "alpha". A moaning whingebag full of empty threats who throws lawsuits around. A man who couldn't manage a slagging match in a secondary school. A man who never stops complaining how unfair everything is, even when he wins. The fact that there is such widespread and deep insecurity that 10s of millions of people actually look up to someone who couldn't be further from an actual example of what they crave is amazing.

(In the past most despots while having plenty of pitiful characteristics actually could and did follow through on some of their threats, often with horrific consequences. Trump is so weak he can't even make believable threats.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Anybody any clue what this ‘Great Reset’ ****e all the trumpists are losing their mind on Twitter is all about?? Trudeau mentioned the pandemic being an opportunity to “reset” in some interview and apparently that’s proof that only Trump can save us from the global elite. Or something.

It gets more unhinged by the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,286 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I believe there's a thread on it in the Conspiracy Theories forum - that's about all you need to know about it!

Vaguely associated to the general conspiracy mesh that has collected around Trump.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement