Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,617 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

fullstop wrote: »
    Anybody any clue what this ‘Great Reset’ ****e all the trumpists are losing their mind on Twitter is all about?? Trudeau mentioned the pandemic being an opportunity to “reset” in some interview and apparently that’s proof that only Trump can save us from the global elite. Or something.

There's a thread about it here

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058112439/1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

There's a thread about it here

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058112439/1

Where do these people get the time?!

Also ‘sustainability on steroids’. Is sustainability supposed to be a bad thing now?!

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭the immortals

Anybody any clue what this ‘Great Reset’ ****e all the trumpists are losing their mind on Twitter is all about?? Trudeau mentioned the pandemic being an opportunity to “reset” in some interview and apparently that’s proof that only Trump can save us from the global elite. Or something.

It gets more unhinged by the day.

The great reset, world economic forum, klaus schwab, Google is your friend, I'm not sure what it is but it's real

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,817 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

The great reset, world economic forum, klaus schwab, Google is your friend, I'm not sure what it is but it's real

How do you know it's real if you don't know for sure what it is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Fervent trump defender confirms it’s totally a thing, but can’t quite say what it is. Story checks out.

• Advertisement

How do you know it's real if you don't know for sure what it is?[/quote

Obvious really, when I watch and listen to the video from the world economic forum and I watch and listen to klaus schwab talk about "The great reset " 2030, I'm not sure what they mean when they say

"you will own nothing but you will be happy "

What do you think they mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

20silkcut wrote: »
    We probably went through a period post 1945 and post Stalin etc where strong man authoritarian politics were out of favour particularly in the western world.
    Trump has identified a gap in the market in that regard.

Yes. My knowledge of the US's politics/political history is not great but I think there's always been various elements of "Trumpism" (anti immigrants/foreigners, more overt racism, isolationism, anti free trade & [in rhetoric anyway] big business, obsession with conspiracies) on the outer fringe of the Republican party. It has never captured the party whole and come to fruition under one leader/"strong man" like this.
    Really critical that this type of politics is driven back into the ground now.
    Ironically it will probably take a strong man or woman to do it by taking strong decisive action.
    I fear Biden May be soft on Trump when push comes to shove. He can’t afford to be. If there is a chance to jail him it should be grasped with open arms. It’s not just trump but an entire movement that needs to be pushed back against.

I get (& agree with) what you are saying & Trump admin. corruption needs to be exposed and punished. It is also very important (maybe more important imo) that the flaws he exploited are corrected or at least work starts on correcting them.
    However it is kind of hard for the opposite political camp (Democrats) to tackle this on their own. It seems to me this dangerous anti democratic/authoritarian stuff may have poisoned one of the US parties now, hopefully not terminally. The spectacle of so many of the senior Republicans going along with Trumps' post election conspiracies (or staying quiet) and aiding his undermining of faith in the integrity/honesty of the US electoral process bodes ill.

Fervent trump defender confirms it’s totally a thing, but can’t quite say what it is. Story checks out.

They are an ngo based in Geneva

Do you think I made them up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,282 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They are an ngo based in Geneva

Do you think I made them up?

The World Economic Forum existing is the not the problematic part of your post. And I'm fairly sure you knew that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

How do you know it's real if you don't know for sure what it is?
    What we are seeing here is one of the more obvious examples of the 'need to belong and prove loyalty' aspect of the cult that Trumpism has become. Exact same way QAnon took hold with this bunch too.

Absolutely nothing matters more than proving your loyalty to your peers with this bunch, much like Scientologists, Jonestowners or Branch Davidians - not even reality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Westernworld.

Yes that’s the big fear. There may come a time in 10/15 years where we look back at the trump era as being relatively harmless. What trump has demonstrated is that a huge swathe of society is ripe for the picking by any charismatic strong man who can connect with them and will bring them along with any dark misadventure.

We probably went through a period post 1945 and post Stalin etc where strong man authoritarian politics were out of favour particularly in the western world.
    Trump has identified a gap in the market in that regard.
    Really critical that this type of politics is driven back into the ground now.
    Ironically it will probably take a strong man or woman to do it by taking strong decisive action.
    I fear Biden May be soft on Trump when push comes to shove. He can’t afford to be. If there is a chance to jail him it should be grasped with open arms. It’s not just trump but an entire movement that needs to be pushed back against.

Same every 4 or 8 years, someone new and charismatic comes along

Clinton , Reagan ,Obama

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,822 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Texas seems to be in a poor state of affairs as there are thousands of it's citizens queueing in a motor convoy for food from a food distribution bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I am starting to believe that Trump is determined to take as many Americans down with him as he can. It's the only way that you can explain his refusal to accept reality at this stage. It's disgusting, but not unexpected unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    I am starting to believe that Trump is determined to take as many Americans down with him as he can. It's the only way that you can explain his refusal to accept reality at this stage. It's disgusting, but not unexpected unfortunately.

Its likely down to a combination of selfishness, spite, entitlement, his narcissism and petulance. He refuses to admit defeat or cooperate with the winner because he would rather shìt on the desk in the oval office before hes thrown out simply because he cant have his own way. Lets not forget the obvious gaslighting, shìtposting and aggrivating the polarisation in the states with his antics.

I honestly hope he gets sued into oblivion and gets his comeuppance so he wont be in any position to try a repeat of his shìt in 2024. Hes doing enough damage as it is and certainly is well overdue for some karmic adjustments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Same every 4 or 8 years, someone new and charismatic comes along

Clinton , Reagan ,Obama

Big difference between the above and trump.

While it may not be huge in terms of substance the style of leadership and language used by the current incumbent is a step in a new divisive authoritarian direction, of that there is no doubt.
    At least Clinton , Reagan , Obama et al pretended they were the president of the entire United States and were conscious in there own different ways and to varying degrees of the need to keep the country United.
    I’ve never seen a president like trump who is so nakedly partisan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭20silkcut

I think one of my favourite things about Trump is people (men) who consider themselves "alpha" look up to him as the ultimate "alpha". A moaning whingebag full of empty threats who throws lawsuits around. A man who couldn't manage a slagging match in a secondary school. A man who never stops complaining how unfair everything is, even when he wins. The fact that there is such widespread and deep insecurity that 10s of millions of people actually look up to someone who couldn't be further from an actual example of what they crave is amazing.

(In the past most despots while having plenty of pitiful characteristics actually could and did follow through on some of their threats, often with horrific consequences. Trump is so weak he can't even make believable threats.)

But as alluded to above he is laying the groundwork and highlighting the path to power for a future more competent despot.
    The frightening reality is that there is nothing there to prevent it. It’s all down to demographics. Currently in America there are numerically 5 million voters who are more anti trump than are for him.
    A more polished version of trump could easily close that gap and tilt it significantly the other way.
    If the election had been a fortnight later and occurred after the vaccine announcements it could have swayed it the other way. It really was knife edge stuff. And that’s with an incompetent despot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭circadian

I've seen footage of the Maga protests in DC and it is heated, fever pitch. While I have no doubt that there are thugs protesting alongside BLM and Antifa or whatever the Proud Boys are on another level. Most of them seem to be ready, in fact, seeking conflict. They are fired up and Trump is responsible for it. They're like his unofficial militia, doing the dirty work on the streets. I can't see how this won't continue to escalate, I'm not sure if it's being picked up but there is a very high risk that this will spill over into a proper conflict.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,227 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

circadian wrote: »
    I've seen footage of the Maga protests in DC and it is heated, fever pitch. While I have no doubt that there are thugs protesting alongside BLM and Antifa or whatever the Proud Boys are on another level. Most of them seem to be ready, in fact, seeking conflict. They are fired up and Trump is responsible for it. They're like his unofficial militia, doing the dirty work on the streets. I can't see how this won't continue to escalate, I'm not sure if it's being picked up but there is a very high risk that this will spill over into a proper conflict.

It would have barely made headlines if the idiots had just been left alone to have their little march, but no there's too many idiots in the world for that. Same story with the protests in Dublin. These people are always best ignored so they can't play the victim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Big difference between the above and trump.

While it may not be huge in terms of substance the style of leadership and language used by the current incumbent is a step in a new divisive authoritarian direction, of that there is no doubt.
    At least Clinton , Reagan , Obama et al pretended they were the president of the entire United States and were conscious in there own different ways and to varying degrees of the need to keep the country United.
    I’ve never seen a president like trump who is so nakedly partisan.

Not only in red vs blue but within the Republican party itself, anyone who disagrees with Trump is called a RINO and attacked by his followers accordingly making it harder for a more centred Republican to express sane views.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,624 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The threats to the GA Sec of State Raffensperger are disgraceful and Lindsey Graham suggesting to him to throw out legal ballots should be prosecuted.
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/nov/16/georgia-brad-raffensperger-lindsey-graham-elections-ballots

• Advertisement

Looking at the news that the two Texas lawyers [John Scott and Douglas Hughes] appointed on Friday by the Trump campaign to try get the Pennsylvania vote result overturned were replaced on Sunday by a Pennsylvania lawyer, Marc Scaringi, it look's like the campaign may be trying the "we weren't ready to fight the case in court" routine if their case is dismissed by the court. Another Pennsylvania lawyer Linda Kern working for the campaign since the case was filed a week ago is reported to be asking the judge for permission to leave the case as well, however Judge Brann has not given the Ok to her application yet.

Scott & Hughes replaced the original Trump lawyers firm who left the case Wednesday last. The Judge dismissed an application by Scaringi yesterday for more time to prepare for the case telling him that oral argument will proceed as planned by the court today. It looks like the Trump campaign may head to a higher court with a possible claim of improper judicial ruling/s on their applications to have the vote count overturned.

The fuller story is on Politico.

But as alluded to above he is laying the groundwork and highlighting the path to power for a future more competent despot.
    The frightening reality is that there is nothing there to prevent it. It’s all down to demographics. Currently in America there are numerically 5 million voters who are more anti trump than are for him.
    A more polished version of trump could easily close that gap and tilt it significantly the other way.
    If the election had been a fortnight later and occurred after the vaccine announcements it could have swayed it the other way. It really was knife edge stuff. And that’s with an incompetent despot.
    That certainly is the worry. The fact that the GOP are happy to play along with it (even if they don't expect anything to come of it before inauguration day) is also massively alarming. All the "nothing to see here" folks reacting to people perhaps overstating the danger of Trump still seem to miss that part of the bigger picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,699 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

That certainly is the worry. The fact that the GOP are happy to play along with it (even if they don't expect anything to come of it before inauguration day) is also massively alarming. All the "nothing to see here" folks reacting to people perhaps overstating the danger of Trump still seem to miss that part of the bigger picture.

100%. It sets a pretty clear president that election results do not need to be accepted. The era of knowing the winner on the night/early morning is gone.

Everybody will have a 'legitimate cause to bring the result into question' purely for the sake of democracy.

These lawyers are probably leaving him as he is not paying them or refusing to pay, as predicted. One would have to be very dim indeed to work for Trump with his history of not paying and backstabbing people, or just saying he doesn't know them.

Checking on Marc Scaringi, he practices corporate law and has his own conservative radio talk show. After the presidential race was called for Joe Biden. Marc A. Scaringi took to his talk radio show to question President Trump’s dubious legal campaign to challenge the election results in various swing states.“At the end of the day, in my view, the litigation will not work,” the Harrisburg, Pa., lawyer said Nov. 7 on iHeartRadio. “It will not reverse this election.” Barely a week later, Scaringi is playing a key role in one piece of that litigation, representing the Trump campaign in what may be its last stand in Pennsylvania.

Source: The Washington Post.

This has all happened after Rudy Giuliani took personal charge of the Trump campaign's campaign to "overturn" the election result as a whole. It dropped one plank in its Pennsylvania campaign - "the 3rd day after the election inclusion of ballot papers for the count" - to concentrate on the legality of the state's actions as it called a large number of voters to point out problems with the way the voters had completed them and invited them to correct them if they wanted to.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

aloyisious wrote: »
    Checking on Marc Scaringi, he practices corporate law and has his own conservative radio talk show. After the presidential race was called for Joe Biden. Marc A. Scaringi took to his talk radio show to question President Trump’s dubious legal campaign to challenge the election results in various swing states.“At the end of the day, in my view, the litigation will not work,” the Harrisburg, Pa., lawyer said Nov. 7 on iHeartRadio. “It will not reverse this election.” Barely a week later, Scaringi is playing a key role in one piece of that litigation, representing the Trump campaign in what may be its last stand in Pennsylvania.

Source: The Washington Post.

This has all happened after Rudy Giuliani took personal charge of the Trump campaign's campaign to "overturn" the election result as a whole. It dropped one plank in its Pennsylvania campaign - "the 3rd day after the election inclusion of ballot papers for the count" - to concentrate on the legality of the state's actions as it called a large number of voters to point out problems with the way the voters had completed them and invited them to correct them if they wanted to.

Why do they always have a Radio show???

Jay Sekulow has one too.

Trump really does just pick people he heard say nice things about him on TV/Radio doesn't he?

Nothing to do with ability or experience , just "He said nice things"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,155 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Why do they always have a Radio show???

Jay Sekulow has one too.

Trump really does just pick people he heard say nice things about him on TV/Radio doesn't he?

Nothing to do with ability or experience , just "He said nice things"

Because GOP voters will listen to any trash and any grifter would be a fool not to cash in on it.

Given the history of right wing talk media pushing out close to, if not full on, conspiracy theories for decades it isn't surprising that they've been so gullible when they are now amplified via social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭eire4

AMKC wrote: »
    Deleted post.

When FDR took over from the disaster that has Hoover in 1932 the lame duck period lasted until March 4th. Hoover was such a problem through these 4 months it seems that this lead to the 20th amendment which changed the dates of the transfer of power and brought things up to January 20th. This situation is making a strong argument surely that the transfer of power date needs to be brought forward even further. I mean January 20th is still 2 months away and there looks to be a heck of a lot of damage that will be done between now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Missiles fired at the American Embassy in Baghdad.
    Chance for Trump to act rough here, probably with the usual disastrous consequences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,865 ✭✭✭✭banie01

eire4 wrote: »
    . This situation is making a strong argument surely that the transfer of power date needs to be brought forward even further. I mean January 20th is still 2 months away and there looks to be a heck of a lot of damage that will be done between now and then.

The entire delayed transfer of power is a concept of the 18th and 19th century.
    There is no good reason not to have a near immediate transfer once the electoral college has met.

What other developed nation has elections and then waits 2 and a half months to actually transfer power?
    It's lunacy, the justification for it in the days of long journey times and harvest and other BS are long past mattering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,374 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

banie01 wrote: »
    The entire delayed transfer of power is a concept of the 18th and 19th century.
    There is no good reason not to have a near immediate transfer once the electoral college has met.

What other developed nation has elections and then waits 2 and a half months to actually transfer power?
    It's lunacy, the justification for it in the days of long journey times and harvest and other BS are long past mattering.

I think it’s too long now but it’s probably not a bad idea under normal circumstances but the problem is a lot of these things are designed with decency in mind, in the past the outgoing president treated the office with respect and generally did what was best for the country.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement