Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,820 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

duploelabs wrote: »
    Pfizer and Moderna say thanks but no thanks to Trump's 'vaccine summit'

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/12/donald-trump-vaccine-summit

He spoke at the event of state legislatures, of at least one USSC Justice or A NUMBER OF Justices, overturning the result of the Pennsylvania result, all to no avail. The USSC rejected the GOP appeal this evening, that it would NOT grant the GOP's law team request, that it was an attempt to use the court to overturn the vote of the electorate. Tonight 49 of the states met the electoral result deadline for certification which can't be interfered with by Trump.

At the event Trump also asked republican state legislators to replace the existing members of the individual states electoral college boards with new members to ensure he won the election through the electoral college vote.

@extra Gravy: Took me a while to find out what your Strike Force was reference to. Good to see lawyers are reacting to what Rudy's team are doing to the legal profession politically.

The Trump-inspired Mexican Border Wall project seems to have gone from the sublime to the ridiculous if claims of whistleblowers [a former San Diego deputy sheriff and a former FBI special agent] are true. They claim that two U.S construction companies [Sullivan Land Services Co and Ultimate Concrete of El Paso] smuggled Mexican workers into the US from across the border on a road built for that purpose by the Concrete Co in order to employ the same workers as armed security to protect the project.

Yahoo.ie, the NYT, the Seattle Times and several other media outlets have reported on the allegations in court documents unsealed by a federal judge last Friday. The complaint filed in February alleged a supervisor from the Army Corp of Engineers approved the road building operation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

As lame duck periods in presidencies go, this is pretty lame.

I mean, any positive input would be looked on favourably but nope, nothing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

That USSC denial of the bogus PA lawsuit is an enormous legal flashing sign to the #IMPOTUS and his spineless lackeys. They should take the hint, as a legally-trained friend said to me yesterday, "A Judge's first question is, Why are you in my Court?" And the USSC, the highest court in the land, has stated pretty firmly they don't want to see this garbage in their courtroom.

In normal times, no lawyer would try and take such a case to the USSC. These is Trumpworld, though, and with the likes of Sidney Powell and Michael Cohen as lawyers, the #IMPOTUS can probably find some barely qualified toad to do his work. TBF, to argue before the USSC takes a higher level of qualification, so he might find someone, if it gets that far.

Igotadose wrote: »
    That USSC denial of the bogus PA lawsuit is an enormous legal flashing sign to the #IMPOTUS and his spineless lackeys. They should take the hint, as a legally-trained friend said to me yesterday, "A Judge's first question is, Why are you in my Court?" And the USSC, the highest court in the land, has stated pretty firmly they don't want to see this garbage in their courtroom.

In normal times, no lawyer would try and take such a case to the USSC. These is Trumpworld, though, and with the likes of Sidney Powell and Michael Cohen as lawyers, the #IMPOTUS can probably find some barely qualified toad to do his work. TBF, to argue before the USSC takes a higher level of qualification, so he might find someone, if it gets that far.

Going on GOP "appeal the vote outcome" track record, I reckon people might see Arizona's GOP asking the USSC to rule Arizona's result out as that state's supreme court rejected chairwoman Kelli Ward's application to do so last night just hours after the USSC decisaion on Pennsylvania's result.. No mention was made as to whom her legal team is. Arizona's republican governor certified the election result last week.

Edit: Texas Attorney General seems to be following the practice of Trump's campaign lawyers by asking the USSC to rule the vote results in 4 other states illegal. Crazy as it seems, he imagines he can go after the decisions made out of state and try get the USSC to declare the voters in those 4 states got it wrong, the state authorities there got it wrong in the rules they applied to the voting and the counting and they all affected the real way the Texan public voted.

• Advertisement

Apart from the fact that Trump is not a conservative, [as defined in GOP conservatism] how many of the GOP set in Washington are truly conservative, or just define themselves as conservative for the sake of office?

How many GOP voters are conservative and how many are not, instead just citizens with distaste for the way they perceive the U.S is being mal-administered at their expense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Interesting that it appears Hunter Biden is apparently having his tax affairs investigated by the US attorney for Delaware. A US attorney that btw was a trump appointee. I take it ivanka, don jr, and Eric will be likewise investigated outside of the trump organisation ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,697 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Interesting that it appears Hunter Biden is apparently having his tax affairs investigated by the US attorney for Delaware. A US attorney that btw was a trump appointee. I take it ivanka, don jr, and Eric will be likewise investigated outside of the trump organisation ?

I hope if he did evade tax that they punish him.

As I do for everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,817 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Man arrested after attempting to blow up a Democrat Party Office in Spokane Washington.

The right wing nuts have hit absolute Bingo in their deplorable behaviour since the election. All while being sanctimonious and supporting a lying incompetent idiot who thinks a catch phrase of 'Law and Order' supersedes the example he and his buddies set in real life.

Wish all the people who were so eager to predict a victory for him on here had hung around to defend the behaviour of Conservatives right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭dogbert27

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-10/coronavirus-us-marks-deadliest-day-since-september-11/12953842

Well here we sadly are

"This is just a flu", "fake numbers", "it be gone by April", "inject some bleach" sigh

I might do a deep dive into earlier threads and compile a compilation of quotes from Trump supporters who still think he is a god. At what stage does one begin to acknowledge that Trump's handling (well complete capitulation) of covid has been an utter disaster.

You'll be told it's out of Trumps hands as it's not a federal issue :rolleyes:

According to them each State has to implement it's own policies except that when they do Trump sticks his oar in with stupid tweets like "Free (insert any democratic state)" :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I was going to say same: there has been a consistent narrative from ... well, I don't want to label as Trump supporters but definitely Trump Contrarians, that when facts showed the President as deeply out of his depth and incompetent, the story was really that it was the States fault. What could poor Trump do in the face of the States' own flaws?

It'll be weird and surreal to debate the merits - or otherwise - of an American presidency without this constant threat of cognitive acrobatics displayed by those intent on some kind of performative BothSides'ism. Where a President's success or failure will be down to his actions, rather than airtime wasted dissecting the latest petulant outbursts that'd be unbecoming of any grown adult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭serfboard

At what stage does one begin to acknowledge that Trump's handling (well complete capitulation) of covid has been an utter disaster.
    Never. There have been people who have had their own family members die, who won't acknowledge it.

It reminds me of the gun debate - at what stage do (some) Americans acknowledge that they have too many mass shootings and that maybe there should be more gun control?

Same answer. Is there anything to be said for more "thoughts and prayers"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

serfboard wrote: »
    Never. There have been people who have had their own family members die, who won't acknowledge it.

It reminds me of the gun debate - at what stage do (some) Americans acknowledge that they have too many mass shootings and that maybe there should be more gun control?

Same answer. Is there anything to be said for more "thoughts and prayers"?

I read a stat the other day, that since John Lennon's death, 1.5 million people have been killed by guns in the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭serfboard

DrumSteve wrote: »
    I read a stat the other day, that since John Lennon's death, 1.5 million people have been killed by guns in the US.
    Imagine all those people, (still) living their life in peace?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,374 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Better all them dead than some fools not be allowed play at soldiers with other fools.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-10/coronavirus-us-marks-deadliest-day-since-september-11/12953842

Well here we sadly are

"This is just a flu", "fake numbers", "it be gone by April", "inject some bleach" sigh

I might do a deep dive into earlier threads and compile a compilation of quotes from Trump supporters who still think he is a god. At what stage does one begin to acknowledge that Trump's handling (well complete capitulation) of covid has been an utter disaster.

This was posted in another thread regarding trump interface with cdc reporting of covid, more than mismanagement imo.

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1337083764611182592?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

That is an incredible stat. And tragic at that.

The speaker of Georgia's state house of legislators has proposed an amendment to the state constitution that the position of Secretary of State for the state be removed from being currently elected by its citizens to being one chosen by the legislators following on from the current holder certifying the result of the election of Biden. The Sec State has been under continuous attack by the two sitting US senators from Georgia as well as the incumbent president for certifying the result of the citizens vote.

It looks like an all or nothing row between factions of Georgia's GOP party is coming out into the open. Linking that to the attempt by Trump to directly interfere with Georgia state citizens right to choose whom they want as US president by trying to join with Texas's AG attempt to have the USSC give it the right to infringe on Georgia state's running of its affairs and disenfranchise Georgians, it shows how far some of Georgia's GOP members are prepared to go to betray the voters of their state. They seem to have forgotten who elected them. By taking off the gloves, they have asked for a bare-knuckle fight which [IMO] they should be given, along with a message that what they have done will not be forgotten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

dogbert27 wrote: »
    You'll be told it's out of Trumps hands as it's not a federal issue :rolleyes:

According to them each State has to implement it's own policies except that when they do Trump sticks his oar in with stupid tweets like "Free (insert any democratic state)" :mad:

The 10th Amendment gives states all powers not specifically given to the federal government, but it's technically limited to health matters confined within the State itself. So, therefore 10A and legislation like the Public Health Service Act allows the Federal Government to take public health emergency actions and impose them on States.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭abff

What's disappointing, but not totally surprising, is that Trump's tantrum is even worse than most people had anticipated. Jaysus, the guy is totally pathetic. Just saying!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,622 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Along with the 100 GOP in Congress actively supporting the Texas court case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,817 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Yesterday I posted a link to headline that more people died from Covid in one day than 9/11

Today we have another record, more people dying than US servicemen killed in WW2

https://www.businessinsider.com/more-americans-dead-covid-19-us-battle-deaths-wwii-2020-12

This is Trump's legacy, death and more deaths of citizens he sworn to protect. But he instead out playing more golf.

'I take no responsibility' should be the epitaph on his headstone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,617 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

'I take no responsibility' should be the epitaph on his headstone.

That or

"Yes, people are dying, it is what it is"

Water John wrote: »
    Along with the 100 GOP in Congress actively supporting the Texas court case.

I'm looking at the GOP in the Senate and Congress and reckon X amount of the 100+ allied to Trump's Texan vote gamble are fence-sitters covering their asses who'll have also voted for the defence bill going through even though Trump doesn't like & said he'll veto it. They know there are enough votes in the senate & congress to over-ride Trump's veto and it'd be stupid to be seen to vote against it.

A smaller part of the 100+ will stick with Trump no matter what and won't have voted in favour of the bill.

A third group in the GOP who oppose Trump's vote appeals will have voted for the bill as they now see him as a disaster for the GOP. These are the people who'll be around to guide the GOP out of the Trump era and who'll [likely] do deals with the Biden Admin.

The fence-sitters are the ones who need watching as they are devious snakes who've sold out everyone else. Their names will come up when a comparison is made of the Yea's on the defence bill voting list and those on the Texan 100 vote list.

Florida has seen a surprise today with a local paper, the Orlando Sentinel, apologizing for endorsing congressman Michael Waltz after he supported the Texas supreme court lawsuit against the presidential election result. Trump seemed to have Florida sewn-up & in his back pocket, maybe this is a sign of things shifting against him in Florida and it might affect any future political plans he had in that state. The Sentinel: "We had no idea, had no way of knowing at the time, that Waltz was not committed to democracy," the editorial began.

"During our endorsement interview with the incumbent congressman, we didn’t think to ask, ‘Would you support an effort to throw out the votes of tens of millions of Americans in four states in order to overturn a presidential election and hand it to the person who lost, Donald Trump?’ Our bad."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,555 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Supreme court rejects Texas and Trumps bid to overturn election

Trump is having so much win at the moment........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Headshot wrote: »
    Supreme court rejects Texas and Trumps bid to overturn election

Trump is having so much win at the moment........

Well that’s it then if the Supreme Court have told them to do one. The problem is 100 GOP members of congress have put their names to the thing showing they were willing to try and subvert American democracy which people from both parties have been banging on about in the twenty years I’ve been taking an interest in US politics as it happened starting with bush vs gore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Welcome news, but truly lamentable his tantrums have been indulged by so many within his party and in the general population.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Welcome news, but truly lamentable his tantrums have been indulged by so many within his party and in the general population.

Has to be some sort of financial incentive for them to be sticking by him. It’s pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭abff

Upset because his latest effort to steal the election has been laughed out of court, I would say he is fuming that his SC picks didnt side with him.

Yes, I expect he feels that they have been extremely disloyal and ungrateful.

He never does anything for anyone without expecting some kind of payback, so it must have come as an awful shock to him that they didn’t just roll over and allow him to steal the election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,374 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

abff wrote: »
    Yes, I expect he feels that they have been extremely disloyal and ungrateful.

He never does anything for anyone without expecting some kind of payback, so it must have come as an awful shock to him that they didn’t just roll over and allow him to steal the election.

3D chess you know

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement