Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

SNIP. No name calling please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,817 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Headshot wrote: »
    This made me laugh on that Washington Post link

"At 12:59 p.m., Mnuchin tweeted a congratulatory message to congressional leaders, thanking them for their vote to approve “additional critical economic relief for American workers, families and businesses.”

I want to thank President Trump for his leadership,” Mnuchin wrote in a news release accompanying the tweet.

Six hours later, Trump posted a tweet of his own, calling the bill a “disgrace” and demanding sweeping changes. He made no mention of Mnuchin, and aides say the two have barely spoken since. It remains unclear if Trump will sign the bill or veto it."

What I would of done to see Mnuchin face when he saw the tweet

Its good to see Trump capitulated and signed the bills, allowing for better governance in the republic. It should be entertaining to see how he'll logically explain his U-turn on twitter. I got this [Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump . 11h . Good news on Covid Relief Bill. Information to follow!] from his twitter account and don't understand it except as a filler-in while another tweet is being worked out for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,697 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

aloyisious wrote: »
    Its good to see Trump capitulated and signed the bills, allowing for better governance in the republic. It should be entertaining to see how he'll logically explain his U-turn on twitter. I got this [Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump . 11h . Good news on Covid Relief Bill. Information to follow!] from his twitter account and don't understand it except as a filler-in while another tweet is being worked out for him.

He won't mention it. Like every other u turn it is simply on to the next issue, the next thing that he must stand against, until he doesn't.

He has lost almost everytime. I think the only thing he 'won' was the tax bill, and that was driven by the GOP as a whole.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    He won't mention it. Like every other u turn it is simply on to the next issue, the next thing that he must stand against, until he doesn't.

He has lost almost everytime. I think the only thing he 'won' was the tax bill, and that was driven by the GOP as a whole.

He's going to Georgia on the 4th Jan to support the two GOP senators re-election campaign and then Washington on the 6th for a fanbase event related to the recording of the presidential election results by Mike Pence as president of the Senate. That'll give him two events where he'll retell his story of being robbed of re-election by the cheating Democrats and the unwilling-to-do-enough GOP Senators. The Washington event could turn out bad if the Proud Boys show up to "protest their rights".

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

He's going to Georgia on the 4th Jan to support the two GOP senators re-election campaign and then Washington on the 6th for a fanbase event related to the recording of the presidential election results by Mike Pence as president of the Senate. That'll give him two events where he'll retell his story of being robbed of re-election by the cheating Democrats and the unwilling-to-do-enough GOP Senators. The Washington event could turn out bad if the Proud Boys show up to "protest their rights".
    The Washington event on January 6th sounds more like exploiting an opportunity to stoke violence in tandem with the event going on in the Senate. Going by this tweet which is light on detail:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1343328708963299338

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,374 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

marno21 wrote: »
    The Washington event on January 6th sounds more like exploiting an opportunity to stoke violence in tandem with the event going on in the Senate. Going by this tweet which is light on detail:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1343328708963299338
    He seems to be doing quite a few tweets lately with very vague meaning and a promise of more info to come out. It’s almost like he is full of crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,515 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

salmocab wrote: »
    He seems to be doing quite a few tweets lately with very vague meaning and a promise of more info to come out. It’s almost like he is full of crap

It'd be more to cast a catalyst and for those who frequent alternative news forums/social media to fill in the blanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,622 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Is the 6th a counter event to the vote on the day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,374 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

duploelabs wrote: »
    It'd be more to cast a catalyst and for those who frequent alternative news forums/social media to fill in the blanks

Yeah that’s basically where Qanon came from. Some random things that meant nothing built up into a superhero saving the world from the Hollywood paedophile ring. It just appeals to the terminally stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

duploelabs wrote: »

He's a reality tv star - its just an extension of that world also I think. Tune in next week, you won't believe what Khloe says to Kim or whatever way it goes.

As he becomes more and more irrelevant he needs to retain enough consumers to keep him in the lifestyle hes accustomed too when hes out.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,548 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

What a fascinating night a head for us watching what's going to happen with the House voting for Trumps 2,000 stimulus checks which Trump Demanded

GOP were completely set against it and this could really end up with a big collision between Trump and the GOP

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭blackwave

Water John wrote: »

Looking at the Donald , there seems to be some sort of vague protest that day but who knows with that place. They are still not accepting the loss and are jumping on anything vaguely looking like trump lost due to fraud. Could see it been a ugly day in Washington with protests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,817 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

blackwave wrote: »
    Looking at the Donald , there seems to be some sort of vague protest that day but who knows with that place. They are still not accepting the loss and are jumping on anything vaguely looking like trump lost due to fraud. Could see it been a ugly day in Washington with protests.

I suspect it will be like the Million Person March (attended by a few tens of thousands) where Trump will leave it to his fanbase to create a ruckus while he takes the opportunity to golf. Maybe this time he will get out of the car to thank the people protesting on his behalf but I wouldn't bet on it.

Headshot wrote: »
    What a fascinating night a head for us watching what's going to happen with the House voting for Trumps 2,000 stimulus checks which Trump Demanded

GOP were completely set against it and this could really end up with a big collision between Trump and the GOP

Nancy Pelosi pushing for the $2000 cheque as well with the numbers behind her in the house is a good idea if it creates trouble for Mitch in the GOP ranks V Trump. If the cheque gets voted through, then she'll have split the GOP vote and share any liking from the public who get them in the post. If the vote fails, Mitch gets the blame from the same public as the person who blocked it. It doesn't matter that Trump was for the cheque, he's out of the presidency in a few weeks and won't be able to gain from a successful vote as he has split from the GOP and caused it to split itself on the issue to a degree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,791 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Nancy Pelosi pushing for the $2000 cheque as well with the numbers behind her in the house is a good idea if it creates trouble for Mitch in the GOP ranks V Trump. If the cheque gets voted through, then she'll have split the GOP vote and share any liking from the public who get them in the post. If the vote fails, Mitch gets the blame from the same public as the person who blocked it. It doesn't matter that Trump was for the cheque, he's out of the presidency in a few weeks and won't be able to gain from a successful vote as he has split from the GOP and caused it to split itself on the issue to a degree.

I don't think there is a vote on cheques, it was all part of one larger welfare bill that has now been passed, it's unlikely there will be further votes on relief bills during this congress term (they might have just done their last big thing in approving the defence bill by a 2/3 majority).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So why is the Vice President being sued ? I read a couple of days ago that trump wasn’t aware the Vice President has a role in certifying the election college in the senate in their roles as president of the senate until recently. That to me just shows the lack of knowledge of how the government works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,204 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So why is the Vice President being sued ? I read a couple of days ago that trump wasn’t aware the Vice President has a role in certifying the election college in the senate in their roles as president of the senate until recently. That to me just shows the lack of knowledge of how the government works.

I read that once he was told that Pence oversaw it he couldnt grasp why Pence wasnt able to just declare him President. It sounds like the eejits suing Pence have the same lack of comprehension of the constitution and ironically their suit is being brought under the guise that Biden becoming president will be the end of the republic.

VinLieger wrote: »
    I read that once he was told that Pence oversaw it he couldnt grasp why Pence wasnt able to just declare him President. It sounds like the eejits suing Pence have the same lack of comprehension of the constitution and ironically their suit is being brought under the guise that Biden becoming president will be the end of the republic.

Trump is clowning, pretending he doesn't know the routine, he knows it full well as the same reading-into-the-record of the vote result by the V/P took place 4 years ago with Joe Biden as V/P and President of the Senate because Trump won the election back then. It's the same for every election.

https://www.snopes.com/news/2020/09/15/who-formally-declares-the-winner-of-the-u-s-presidential-election/

Step 3... On Jan. 6, Congress convenes to count the electoral votes and certify the winner of the election. Because the sitting vice president also serves as president of the Senate, Mike Pence will preside over this count in 2021, just as Vice President Joe Biden did in January 2017 when Donald Trump officially became president-elect. Each state, called upon in alphabetical order, files its votes.

There is a section mentioned in the above link whereby an objection can be raised during the senate proceedings... At the end of the electoral vote count, the vice president announces the results and asks if there are any objections. There was an objection raised in ref to GW Bush' election in 2001 but it got nowhere, lacking the procedural route.

Mitch McConnell has blocked the senate minority leader [Chuck Schumer] vote move to raise the cheque level to U.S $2000 approx 50 minutes ago. NBC News...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,622 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Mitch McConnell has blocked the senate minority leader [Chuck Schumer] vote move to raise the cheque level to U.S $2000 approx 50 minutes ago. NBC News...

It would have shown the split line in the GOP, between the Libertarians and the rest. He'll take the hit himself as he couldn't care less.

• Advertisement

It would have shown the split line in the GOP, between the Libertarians and the rest. He'll take the hit himself as he couldn't care less.

The two Georgian senators have thrown in their lot with Trump, saying they'll vote for his $2000 cheque demand. Nothing surprising there as he's supporting them. They know the cheque move will likely be faced down by the GOP senate majority numbers [unless there's a surprise revolt against Mitch McConnell's control of it] so they can safely make their "protest" move and sit on the fence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,134 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

The two Georgian senators have thrown in their lot with Trump, saying they'll vote for his $2000 cheque demand. Nothing surprising there as he's supporting them. They know the cheque move will likely be faced down by the GOP senate majority numbers [unless there's a surprise revolt against Mitch McConnell's control of it] so they can safely make their "protest" move and sit on the fence.

Hawley is on board the 2k cheques bandwagon so I think he with the 2 Georgia senators might be enough?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Hawley is on board the 2k cheques bandwagon so I think he with the 2 Georgia senators might be enough?

Moot point when the grim reaper does his thing no?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Always amazes me how one guy can just say "yeah sorry I don't feel like allowing on a vote on that so its dead" and that's the end of it. Best democracy in the world!

Moot point when the grim reaper does his thing no?

Ta for the cue, I Didn't know.

The majority leader schedules the daily legislative program and fashions the unanimous consent agreements that govern the time for debate. So, as per the senate rules, ML can indeed decide what is allowed or not allowed to be voted on, by controlling the schedule.

Note that the Majority Leader only has control over votes on the bills. Not over whether they are introduced into the Senate at all.

Above from this link: https://politics.stackexchange.com/questions/37688/why-is-the-senate-leader-allowed-to-decide-which-bills-to-vote-on

I had wondered if there was an office of speaker in the U.S senate. There isn't.

Rjd2 wrote: »

Seems NO as the majority leader controls the scheduling of debate time for bills introduced to the senate floor. They'll just be denied speaking time by [majority leader] Mitch refusing to allow a debate on the bill's contents.

I'm going to start off now with the words " FLUX, SEEMS and ALLEGING" in reference to what I'm typing here when it comes tp describing what the current GOP party situation is in the Senate and House of Congress. CNN is reporting that Mitch McConnell is allegedly offering a deal to what seems to be the Trump rump of the GOP a concession on the US $2000 cheque issue AND one other issue, which is remarkable [if correct and not DISINFORNATION]. I DO NOT know the source for CNN's report. Its worth noting that disinformation has the same value as fake news and there's a lot of it floating around.

However, Mitch seems to have won the day against rebels within the Senate GOP party with an estimated GOP 109 vote majority on one bill and a GOP 130 vote majority on the other bill, within the GOP party itself. This is a "breaking news" situation and will be changeable as more info and results become true official news.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,640 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

News that's absolutely nothing to go hooray about. Luke Letlow 41, GOP congressman-elect for Louisiana, passed away last night in hospital from Covid-19 complications. He announced his Covid-19 diagnosis on Facebook on 18 Dec. His family have lost a brother, father and husband. Covid-19 is a killer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Cody montana

News that's absolutely nothing to go hooray about. Luke Letlow 41, GOP congressman-elect for Louisiana, passed away last night in hospital from Covid-19 complications. He announced his Covid-19 diagnosis on Facebook on 18 Dec. His family have lost a brother, father and husband. Covid-19 is a killer.

Check his twitter*.

*There are dozens of Pictures of him without a mask at indoor and outdoor events.
    In one he is posing with a ww2 veterans.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement