Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Texas Governor Dan Patrick offered a million dollars to anyone who could offer evidence and identify fraud or attempted fraud in the 2020 election. Who will be the first to claim the $1 million?

Pennsylvania already tried to claim it presumably tongue in cheek a while back when they found the trump supporter who had defrauded the election process

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 15,697 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

The only 'surprise' here is that the call is on audio.

Remember that previously Trump called other Governors to the WH to 'discuss' the election result (can't remember which state) and it looked really bad but nothing was actually done to censure Trump. No GOP heads came calling him out about it. The governor stated afterwards that he was powerless anyway and thus it simply went away.

This is not the 1st phone call, it is not the 1st attempt. This has been going on since the morning of 4th, when it started to become clear that Biden could well have won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Leroy42 wrote: »

Remember that previously Trump called other Governors to the WH to 'discuss' the election result (can't remember which state) and it looked really bad but nothing was actually done to censure Trump. No GOP heads came calling him out about it. The governor stated afterwards that he was powerless anyway and thus it simply went away.

This is not the 1st phone call, it is not the 1st attempt. This has been going on since the morning of 4th, when it started to become clear that Biden could well have won.
    It was Michigan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,817 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

When Trump visits Georgia today and Wednesday in support of Sen's Loeffler and Perdue, I'd imagine that despite their being high-ranking state officials, the Governor and his A.G will be keeping a distance from him when it's possible. Trump doesn't do diplomatic illnesses and might seek a confrontation with them for his own publicity purposes, despite whatever his staff might have in mind. The thought must have passed through the minds of Georgia's chief law officer and other state officials on how to handle any incident with him given the media and smartphones presence.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

aloyisious wrote: »
    When Trump visits Georgia today and Wednesday...

Not going to happen, but would be hilarious if local law enforcement impounded Air Force One and made a show of trying to arrest Trump for election fraud. Would certainly stop Trump being able to change the story with distractions for the next three weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,865 ✭✭✭✭banie01

What I wouldn't give for an emergency convening of the house Judicial committee and a forced yes/no vote for impeachment.

The 12 senators and the 140 odd house members that tacked their colours to Trump's mast all need to either disavow or to be expelled from Congress alà the 1861 expulsions IMO.

I mean it won't happen, but it should!

Nunes and Jordan being awarded the presidential medal of freedom today too if rumours are true...
    I mean 1 was heavily implicated in criminal activity (and possibly treasonous) and the other is a rabid attack dog with zero morals who if the students are to be believed?
    Turned a blind eye to sexual assault.

But they are getting medals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

banie01 wrote: »
    What I wouldn't give for an emergency convening of the house Judicial committee and a forced yes/no vote for impeachment.

The 12 senators and the 140 odd house members that tacked their colours to Trump's mast all need to either disavow or to be expelled from Congress alà the 1861 expulsions IMO.

I mean it won't happen, but it should!

Nunes and Jordan being awarded the presidential medal of freedom today too if rumours are true...
    I mean 1 was heavily implicated in criminal activity (and possibly treasonous) and the other is a rabid attack dog with zero morals who if the students are to be believed?
    Turned a blind eye to sexual assault.

But they are getting medals?

Rush Limbaugh has also received that award from Trump. He has degraded it to be about as prestigious as a piece of used toilet paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,817 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

robinph wrote: »
    Not going to happen, but would be hilarious if local law enforcement impounded Air Force One and made a show of trying to arrest Trump for election fraud. Would certainly stop Trump being able to change the story with distractions for the next three weeks.

You read my mind :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Leroy42 wrote: »

No, I think this is surprising.

Many people have been saying that Trump's continued noise about the election is just a performance, keeping his fans engaged to keep fundraising. That he knows he lost long ago and is just scamming his supporters.

But no, this call was not supposed to be made public, it was a behind the scenes effort to overturn the election result this weekend, sixty days after the event.

Trump is not performing, not scamming - he really thinks he can do this. He has a real shot at an insanity defence.

No, I think this is surprising.

Many people have been saying that Trump's continued noise about the election is just a performance, keeping his fans engaged to keep fundraising. That he knows he lost long ago and is just scamming his supporters.

But no, this call was not supposed to be made public, it was a behind the scenes effort to overturn the election result this weekend, sixty days after the event.

Trump is not performing, not scamming - he really thinks he can do this. He has a real shot at an insanity defence.

I think it's a good indicator as to why there's been such a high staff turnover during the 4 years. Imagine working for someone that narcissistic and deluded, and being expected to basically just keep your mouth shut and go along with whatever absolute nonsense he grasps onto next. No wonder people have been quitting all over the shop.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    I think it's a good indicator as to why there's been such a high staff turnover during the 4 years. Imagine working for someone that narcissistic and deluded, and being expected to basically just keep your mouth shut and go along with whatever absolute nonsense he grasps onto next. No wonder people have been quitting all over the shop.

Yet none of them thought it might be a good idea to do something about it at the time and try to fix the madness, or remove him. They just went along with it for a bit until they had enough material for a book, then left.

Yet none of them thought it might be a good idea to do something about it at the time and try to fix the madness, or remove him. They just went along with it for a bit until they had enough material for a book, then left.

Try to fix the madness or remove him?

What are you on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Christy42

None of his followers care about this tape either.

In their mind they know the election is a fraud adn so who cares if he is fraudulently attempting to change some of the votes back. Heck I have seen many talk about the focus being too narrow and that Trump in fact won every state with California being a toss up.

I don't know where you go with this type of delusion on a massive scale. Like how do you bring people back from that level without utterly annihaliting their self esteem. It is complete sunk cost fallacy at this this point which conmen use well. They can't admit they are wrong to themselves so they have to believe harder and hope they will be viewed as geniuses in the end. There is no other way out for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

froog wrote: »
    Jesus i cant believe his opening argument was his rallies were bigger than bidens, therefore he won the election. That's what an actual child would come out with.

Speaking of juvenile standards, look at the (state) of his schedule for today :rolleyes:

Eq2bnMgWMAICGXr?format=jpg&name=medium

Well, we don't know for sure what people were trying to do within the administration. I don't think there's much that anyone in a lower level position could do. Or even in a higher level position. His narcissism and ego are that strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Well, we don't know for sure what people were trying to do within the administration. I don't think there's much that anyone in a lower level position could do. Or even in a higher level position. His narcissism and ego are that strong.

Go with the flow and pick up a good pay cheque until they're fired!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,262 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Speaking of juvenile standards, look at the (state) of his schedule for today :rolleyes:

Eq2bnMgWMAICGXr?format=jpg&name=medium

The middle bit of that sounds like me trying to explain what I was doing when sitting in an empty office building during Lockdown 1 :pac:

How many people are going to get infected as this "Victory Rally"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,826 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

What could be really interesting out of the phonecall is the reaction of Dominion over his allegations. CNN also redacted the name of a person who Trump basically accused of vote ringing and tampering. AFAIK he referred to the individual as a female. It is very obvious who he is referring to. What he said was slander. I could see her suing him and other people on Trump's side of the call.

It may well create a longer term issue for Trump. It will be available on the original tape recording. It obvious has legal implications as CNN bleeped it from the tape recording and it redacted in news reports. This could be the smoking gun of Trump's. As well it fairly odd on he rang them from the Whitehouse so a recording of the call will be available there as well. IMO he may well have cooked his own goose from two points of view. Slanderous remarks about Dominion and the Individual redacted as well as possible attempted collusion to vote rigging. I expect him to pardon himself which will overcome any vote rigging charges. But civil cases are not pardonable

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,374 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

L1011 wrote: »

How many people are going to get infected as this "Victory Rally"?

Probably quite a few and they’ll deserve it, shame for their relatives though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Just listened to the tape, I'm now fearful for what he will try to do in the next 2 weeks.

• Advertisement

Akabusi wrote: »
    Just listened to the tape, I'm now fearful for what he will try to do in the next 2 weeks.

By the sounds of the conversation, he's only too well aware of the legal jeopardy that he's in when he leaves office. It's quite sad and pathetic to hear the President of the United States resorting to such desperate tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Cody montana

By the sounds of the conversation, he's only too well aware of the legal jeopardy that he's in when he leaves office. It's quite sad and pathetic to hear the President of the United States resorting to such desperate tactics.

Can you imagine if Obama or Hillary was recorded saying those things.

The gop would try to send them to a firing squad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Remember when we curled our collective lips over Trump's bold assertion he could shoot someone on 5th avenue and get a ratings bump? We all knew party politics requires nose-holding when it comes to problematic candidates but you wonder at this stage what Trump would indeed have to do to get the Susanne Collins of this world to finally acquire some nerve.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Wednesday is the big concern - Not the vote in Congress , that's just a charade.

But - There will be thousands of people on the streets in DC , no doubt there will be protestors from both sides there as well.

My concern is how will those crowds react when the inevitable news filters out that Biden has been confirmed as President?

It's almost a given that there will be some level of violence , but how much and how it is handled by the authorities on the ground and how it is reacted to by Trump et al will be hugely consequential.

Add to that the potential flow of updates coming from the Georgia count - Will we see a similar timeline to November, early leads for the GOP candidates from the in-person votes followed by a steady growth in the Democrat vote count as the mail-in's are counted? - Whether it will be enough to actually win the seats for the Democrats remains to be seen.

Bidens confirmation in Congress allied to news of Democrat candidates taking big bites out of a GOP lead could be the perfect combination of news to lead to something awful..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,817 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Wednesday is the big concern - Not the vote in Congress , that's just a charade.

But - There will be thousands of people on the streets in DC , no doubt there will be protestors from both sides there as well.

My concern is how will those crowds react when the inevitable news filters out that Biden has been confirmed as President?

It's almost a given that there will be some level of violence , but how much and how it is handled by the authorities on the ground and how it is reacted to by Trump et al will be hugely consequential.

Add to that the potential flow of updates coming from the Georgia count - Will we see a similar timeline to November, early leads for the GOP candidates from the in-person votes followed by a steady growth in the Democrat vote count as the mail-in's are counted? - Whether it will be enough to actually win the seats for the Democrats remains to be seen.

Bidens confirmation in Congress allied to news of Democrat candidates taking big bites out of a GOP lead could be the perfect combination of news to lead to something awful..

Looking at a GOP forum which somebody linked on Reddit earlier the immediate response, there at least, seemed to be one of 'FFS Donald'. I wouldn't be surprised if this actually pulled some numbers back from those going to support him as people recognize just how far he is gone.

Might mean there is a higher concentration of lunatics left mind.

George Conway seems to think that the only way Trump can avoid legal jeopardy over that phone conversation is if he claims he's gone insane. That's where we are now.

Where are the Trump defenders gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Sparko

George Conway seems to think that the only way Trump can avoid legal jeopardy over that phone conversation is if he claims he's gone insane. That's where we are now.

Kellyanne Conway's husband. You'd wonder how they keep their work life out of their personal life in such a divisive situation.

Sparko wrote: »
    Kellyanne Conway's husband. You'd wonder how they keep their work life out of their personal life in such a divisive situation.

I honestly think they enjoy playing both sides of the fence. Keeps the Conway family "credible" with both sides of the political argument. It's an interesting one, for sure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,817 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

They're long gone.
    I honestly think they enjoy playing both sides of the fence. Keeps the Conway family "credible" with both sides of the political argument. It's an interesting one, for sure!

And put their daughter in to the mix who probably was partly the reason Kelly-Anne stepped away from Trump but who knows at this point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,697 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Exactly. I don't think, I have no definitive reason why, that KAC actually believes in Trump. It a means to an end. She took on the Campaign head role as a last resort, I'm sure she was on massive money and couldn't lose. Trump was expected to lose so anything even remotely close would reflect very well on her abilities.

When he won, she was quids in, with the added bonus of direct access to the most powerful people in US. But she didn't get her hands dirty directly. She didn't take the Press Sec role or anything. And while she came on to defend him numerous times, she has stayed well away from the more serious issues.

While we view her a liar and unscrupulous, that is exactly the type of person that is well sought after in politics.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement