Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭wandererz

wandererz wrote: »
    Article II, Section 1, Clause 6 stipulates that the vice president takes over the "powers and duties" of the presidency in the event of a president's removal, death, resignation, or inability.

The biggest legacy that Mike Pence could leave and to entrench himself in history is invoking the above.

He did a great thing today standing up to Trump.
    He should go that one step further.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Detritus70

It's not. And that action I have no quarrel with being considered a terroristic act.

You are all making it sound like this is the first time an angry crowd has illegally crashed a legislative body because they don't like something. Unless you consider all such occasions to be domestic terrorism, I guess.

What if the violence was, instead, caused by the politicians themselves? The Italian parliament would be a veritable den of domestic terrorism!

As I posted earlier, they did. https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/04/politics/muriel-bowser-dc-national-guard-protests/index.html

Who is "they"? By that logic, everyone partaking in BLM protests is a destructive criminal, because of a few folks.

Thank you for your reply.
    By not taking a stand, you are taking a stand.
    No need for further replies, you're obviously happy with goings on at the moment.

Fully Automated Luxury Gay Space Communism

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,229 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

paul71 wrote: »
    2 bombs have been found, that means they bought the materials required in advance and went to the capital with intent, police were sprayed with chemicals to assist the storming of barriers, a guy absailed onto the floor of the senate from the viewing gallery, the equipment for the chemical irritant was bought in advance and brought there with intent.

A trained police officer shot someone because he felt it was necessary. Hundreds of people in the crowd are clothed in items used by riot police, they came with the intent to riot and fight someone, ie the police.

Your assertions are simply not credible and are biased based on support of liar who has incited this by saying things like "stand down and stand by" and "wild protest".
    Don't forget the weapons...and the guy with cable ties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,612 ✭✭✭✭Water John

It seems Pence has coordinated the police response having consulted the Congress leaders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It's not. And that action I have no quarrel with being considered a terroristic act.

You are all making it sound like this is the first time an angry crowd has illegally crashed a legislative body because they don't like something. Unless you consider all such occasions to be domestic terrorism, I guess.

What if the violence was, instead, caused by the politicians themselves? The Italian parliament would be a veritable den of domestic terrorism!

As I posted earlier, they did. https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/04/politics/muriel-bowser-dc-national-guard-protests/index.html

Who is "they"? By that logic, everyone partaking in BLM protests is a destructive criminal, because of a few folks.

Well why is it being reported only within the last while that it’s only being activated ? They might have approved the request but clearly didn’t go beyond that. Also read Donald trumps comments at the rally where he more or less gave the people there permission to act the bollocks at the US capital. The US for years has looked at scenes like this in other countries with condemnation yet here it’s happened in their own country. Whatever moral high ground the US had(or perceived themselves to have) is gone. Also, there was a note left in one office which said “we will not back down” so it doesn’t seem like they’ve had their jollies and are off home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,852 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Imagine marching to “Save America” & decide the most efficient way; bombing The Capitol building. This is absolutely domestic terrorism.

Senators I heard are calling it insurerction.

Reminds me of star trek :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,696 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

The biggest legacy that Mike Pence could leave and to entrench himself in history is invoking the above.

Pence did nothing today. He simply stated that he had no power to do anything

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

15 minutes to curfew.
    Live stand off on cnn.
    It’s about to kick off lads

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Leroy42 wrote: »

Apparently he's the one who gave the go-ahead to deploy the National Guard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

A great thing? Shag that.

He simply stated a fact. He does not have the legal power or ability to do what Trump wanted him to do. It's not like he took some noble moral stand here, despite all the bells and whistles of the manner in which he released his statement and, all that sanctimonious guff about swearing an oath.

He stood idly by for 4 years and supported Trump in everything the creep did. Todays statement doesn't change that. Pence gets no pats on the back from me today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

froog wrote: »
    they have to ban him. every tweet now will be inciting violence.

They have now disabled comments and "likes" on some of his tweets to stop inciting the mob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Leroy42 wrote: »

Every sane person knew Pence didn't have the power to what Trump wanted him to do but the MAGA supporters believe everything Trump says and it fed in to what has been happening today.

He could have not shown up as a sign of support to Trump. Biden would have still been certified.
    Pence publicly stated that his duty is to protect the constitution over a president which was an FU to Trump so fair play to him for finally showing some backbone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Kiith wrote: »
    Pence changed his Twitter profile pic to Biden and Harris and unfollowed Trump :P

https://twitter.com/Mike_Pence

The Trump - Pence bromance is over :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

And by your logic it appears the Taliban cant all be painted with the same brush because they don't all plant bombs and decapitate people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭paul71

That lady is now confirmed dead. There can be no doubt who is responsible for her death, Donald Trump. I sincerely hope it is the last tonight.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

rosser44 wrote: »
    Any credibility you had on this site is totally destroyed Manic.

And "they" are the trump/republican terrorists that just perpetrated a terrorist attack on the US Government

I'd just like to pause at this moment here for a brief recap.

On the matter of the protestors in congress, which started this thread off.

I am being exorciated here for my opinion for...

Not that I think these protestors are idiots
    Not that I think that they are acting criminally
    Not that I believe they should gain no immunity from arrest or prosecution.
    Not that I have no problem with the idea that soldiers and police in full equipment will be used to reestablish order using any and all means necessary
    Not that I have no issue that a woman, presumably unarmed, was shot for failing to follow police instruction
    ... or any other matter relevant to the incident.

Which are all beliefs I have, and some of which would equally see me lambasted for in discussion of other incidents over the past year...

But because I believe that the use of the term terrorism, a particularly vile act, should be reserved for activities of a very particular nature and should not be used with abandon.

Given this, the amount of credibility i care for from you can be inserted up a fourth point of contact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

The woman shot in the chest has succumbed to her injuries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Very sad to see what happened in America today but then with Trump there it's also very sad that no of it surprised me. The World is in danger as long as Trump is still there so hopefully now the Domocratic and Republican party ask Trump to stand down and leave sooner rather than later.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

steddyeddy wrote: »
    And by your logic it appears the Taliban cant all be painted with the same brush because they don't all plant bombs and decapitate people.

I have never attempted to shoot a Talib just for being in the Taliban. The ones who were doing such, though, (at least the bomb planters, I never encountered anyone attempting to decapitate) were another matter.

Not that I have no problem with the idea that soldiers and police in full equipment will be used to reestablish order using any and all means necessary
    Not that I have no issue that a woman, presumably unarmed, was shot for failing to follow police instruction

Which are all beliefs I have, and some of which would equally see me lambasted for in discussion of other incidents over the past year...

But because I believe that the use of the term terrorism, a particularly vile act, should be reserved for activities of a very particular nature and should not be used with abandon.

Given this, the amount of credibility i care for from you can be inserted up a fourth point of contact.

So what do you define terrorism to be? Attacking the state, attacking police, invading government buildings would all be part of what I would think of as terrorism

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

I think a simple sum up is that terroism is use of violence for political ends.

A lot of the people marching into the capitol. Not terrorists.

But the pepper spray, pipe bombs, violence. Terrorists.

However focusing on the former is kind of the 'very fine people'.

Once the latter get involved the former don't matter anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Every sane person knew Pence didn't have the power to what Trump wanted him to do but the MAGA supporters believe everything Trump says and it fed in to what has been happening today.

He could have not shown up as a sign of support to Trump. Biden would have still been certified.
    Pence publicly stated that his duty is to protect the constitution over a president which was an FU to Trump so fair play to him for finally showing some backbone

Backbone?

Oh please.

He's merely taking steps to preserve what little political capital he has left and safeguard any future career in the post Trump days. I'll be holding off on the applause for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Gael23 wrote: »
    The woman shot in the chest has succumbed to her injuries

Well if she was a Trump supporter she has no one else to blame but herself which is sad and if not it's very sad.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I have never attempted to shoot a Talib just for being in the Taliban. The ones who were doing such, though, (at least the bomb planters, I never encountered anyone attempting to decapitate) were another matter.

You invaded their country because some of them were terrorists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,612 ✭✭✭✭Water John

When a mob turns up at a properly convened democratic parliament to defy the election of a leader, that counts as sedition and terrorism.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

they have found viable pipe bombs at the democratic and republican headquarters and the capitol building. - source, CNN

• Registered Users Posts: 23,802 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Great statement from George Bush just now in comparison to Trump!

It's really come to something when Bush looks like such a statesman in comparison.

No contest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,811 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

If TV cameras are allowed in to cover the recording of the states election results at any resumed joint meeting of congress, it'll be interesting to see what happens when objections are made to the readings, if anyone of the Trump-ists have the neck to make objections. I'd like to see Trumps press agent's 2nd response to what Trump brought to town yesterday.

Manic: I can honestly say that a number of the senators and congresspersons would rightly say they were terrified by what happened yesterday in Washington and that was the intent of the front-rank of the rioters - use terror to terrify the senators and congresspersons.

There's one good thing and that no destruction of property on a scale seen elsewhere when rioters of a different colour faced off to the civil power. I regret that one civilian lost her life as a result of the criminal actions of the rioters and the persons who egged them on into confrontation with he civil power. I hope Trump's son and Rudy get a just judgement from any judge they appear in front of for criminally inciting others into riotous conduct.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭rosser44

Great statement from George Bush just now in comparison to Trump!

It's really come to something when Bush looks like such a statesman in comparison.

No contest.

Calling it what it is

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1346954970910707712

This fella is just completely ****ing nuts. If the 25th Amendment wasn't created for this, what on earth was it created for?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement