Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

D.Q wrote: »
    Genuinely bizarre people can still defend trump after this.

It's a straight up cult. Literally brainwashed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Melania Trump's COS has submitted her resignation according to CNN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

froog wrote: »
    It's a straight up cult. Literally brainwashed.

No different to the Democrats, there is no moderates left, you are either a fascist or a communist in America today. Whole place is a toxic mess and I wouldn't be surprised if there is some type of uprising or even mass unrest leading to Civil war.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Melania's Chief of Staff has resigned. I'm hoping for a bigger fish later...

Seems the rump Mob are still trying to walk back to the Capitol building.

D.Q wrote: »
    Genuinely bizarre people can still defend trump after this.

Not really when you read their opinions on certain topics.

• Advertisement

theguzman wrote: »
    No different to the Democrats, there is no moderates left, you are either a fascist or a communist in America today. Whole place is a toxic mess and I wouldn't be surprised if there is some type of uprising or even mass unrest leading to Civil war.

Literally untrue.

The screams from your ilk "They're all the same" are ringing hollow now. Time to drop that nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Well this is nonsense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,617 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Very sad when a social media platform has more power than us president

They don't, he agreed to the T&C's when he signed up just like every other user. He chose to break their rules again and again and again.

There are plenty of other sites he can spout his shìte on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭paul71

House representatives talking about voting an article of impeachment reported on CNN now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

And instead of simply disagreeing on the grounds of interpretation of a word which HAS NO UNIVERSALLY ACCEPTED DEFINITION

There is no moral dimension, only a useful irregular verb, as Sir Humphrey in Yes Minister explained “I am a freedom fighter, you are a guerilla, he is a terrorist”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭doxy79

L1011 wrote: »
    Along the lines of "I love you and what you're doing but go home. And the election was stolen".
    Christy42 wrote: »
    Also one along the lines of this is what happens when you push people too far.

That's just quintessential Trump!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Christy42

Democrats would be center right as a whole as opposed to communists. Some notable left leaning candidates in there but this "both sides" nonsense is annoying and silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,719 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Only one side attempted a coup

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Actually, on another note, how arrogant are you? You think people are having a go at you because of your motives? People are having a go at you because of your mental gymnastics. And even as I'm typing this I realise there's not much point debating with someone like you is there..

Oh, over the years it's been fairly explicit. But to answer your question, quite.

This is over a disagreement on a semantic. Another poster used the term "sedition" to describe the activities in Congress (exclusive of the bombs, obviously as they weren't known at the time). I haven't heard "insurrection" yet, but let's also count it as political violence against the constituted authority. Both perfectly serviceable words which can also perhaps be used to describe the invasion of Congress but which exist separate to the word "terrorism". Is it a mental gymnastic to believe that other terms which exist may be more accurate?

My choosing to fight on this hill is because of the broad overreach of the term, which i feel has loaded overtones. Folks like Washington or Collins were seditionist. They were insurrectionist. They used unlawful domestic violence to achieve political goals. If violence and politics is all that is required to term someone a terrorist, then both countries are founded upon terrorism. If that is the opinion the majority on Boards, then that's fine, but I chose to disagree.

[Edit. To be clear I am in no way equating the actions today with those of Washington (insurgent) or Collins (guerilla) I merely am applying the example of imprecise language]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,132 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Actually, on another note, how arrogant are you? You think people are having a go at you because of your motives? People are having a go at you because of your mental gymnastics. And even as I'm typing this I realise there's not much point debating with someone like you is there..

Manic is a good guy. I suspect he has a soft spot for Zombie Reganism which is a huge no-no for me , but he argues in good faith without resorting to personal insults or stupid bad faith attacks.

Somebody on the previous page instead of trying to debate his point decided not to bother and basically say he supporters the lunatics despite him constantly calling them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

As much as I regularly disagree with manic I do agree with him.on one aspect of this.

The people who planted these devices are terrorists.

The people who protested (including the majority who entered the capitol building) are not terrorists.

terrorism: the unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.

I mean it's pretty cut and dry. They violently forced their way in, in order to intimidate in the pursuit of political aims. By the looks of it some were even armed with assault rifles (which if I am correct is entirely illegal to carry around in DC to begin with). Who knows what would have happened had they not got the congresspeople out in time, but I have an extremely hard time believing it would not have involved significant bloodshed.

A good few of the morons outside may not have passed the 'violence' threshold to be fair, though were willingly taking place in what can't be classified as anything other than a terrorist. Had they not tried to storm the building with congress in session to finalise the votes and got in clashes in the general area instead, there might be a bit more wiggle room.

But as is, it's pretty much textbook terrorism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Christy42 wrote: »
    Democrats would be center right as a whole as opposed to communists. Some notable left leaning candidates in there but this "both sides" nonsense is annoying and silly.

The Democrats are now definitely centre-left with a severe pang of Crony capitalism thrown in for good measure. Trump was manifest destiny, zero-Govt interference, true dog eat dog capitalism and led America to its greatest ever economic pinnacle. The Trump tax cuts and he reeled in the warhawks, not one country did he invade or didn't butcher innocents. Trump was not a politician, he made enough enemies for himself and is now reaping the political seeds he planted. He was the greatest upheavel in politics ever and showed the little guy that your voice and your opinion will not be silenced.

Trump was the backlash, the peaceful rebellion, the two fingers to the system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭paul71

Biden has been considered a moderate for 40 years, if John McCain were still alive you could ask him. Susan Collins is a moderate, Mitt Romley a bit further right but those people can work together.

On the most extreme left of the Democrats people like Saunders would be considered moderate social democrats in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,617 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

terrorism: the unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.

I mean it's pretty cut and dry. They violently forced their way in, in order to intimidate in the pursuit of political aims. By the looks of it some were even armed with assault rifles (which if I am correct is entirely illegal to carry around in DC to begin with). Who knows what would have happened had they not got the congresspeople out in time, but I have an extremely hard time believing it would not have involved significant bloodshed.

A good few of the morons outside may not have passed the 'violence' threshold to be fair, though were willingly taking place in what can't be classified as anything other than a terrorist. Had they not tried to storm the building with congress in session to finalise the votes and got in clashes in the general area instead, there might be a bit more wiggle room.

But as is, it's pretty much textbook terrorism.

On that we will have to agree to disagree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,132 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Their will be no civil war no matter what MSNBC and co think.

Today was awful obviously, but if that is the best that Trump can bring in such a scenario then I don't see any reason to be overly concerned.

The ring leaders and many of those who took part will be arrested and thankfully plenty will face severe punishment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Joe Biden is widely regarded as a moderate...
    plus has the added bonus of being sane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Any guesses why someone might bring zip ties to an "event" like this? I think we all know.

e2s7UXT.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,635 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Twitter have removed Trump's ace in the hole- his posting privileges :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Amazing trump had been booted off Twitter. I suspect he is livid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,817 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Have no time for this BS of saying one is as bad as the other. The Democrats have supported initiatives and protests which are always centered on helping someone or group, conservatives this loose ideal of 'The Flag/The country/The constitution' none of which they cared about today.

You haven't a clue what you are talking about in suggesting there are no moderate liberals left in America only communists.

You couldn't fit 20 Lada's if you grouped every communist in the country together today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,719 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Have no time for this BS of saying one is as bad as the other. The Democrats have supported initiatives and protests which are always centered on helping someone or group, conservatives this loose ideal of 'The Flag/The country/The constitution' none of which they cared about today.

You haven't a clue what you are talking about in suggesting there are no moderate liberals left in America only communists.

You couldn't fit 20 Lada's if you grouped every communist in the country together today.

Rock, flag, eagle

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Any guesses why someone might bring zip ties to an "event" like this? I think we all know.

e2s7UXT.png

Obviously he's just trying to organise some cables.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I’d say America’s enemies are loving this. If a simpleton like Trump can do this much damage it shows how easy is to destabilise the country. Among other things Optically this is a very bad look. Like planes hitting the towers, America looks very vulnerable right now. It’s such a divided country.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Christy42

The Democrats are now definitely centre-left with a severe pang of Crony capitalism thrown in for good measure. Trump was manifest destiny, zero-Govt interference, true dog eat dog capitalism and led America to its greatest ever economic pinnacle. The Trump tax cuts and he reeled in the warhawks, not one country did he invade or didn't butcher innocents. Trump was not a politician, he made enough enemies for himself and is now reaping the political seeds he planted. He was the greatest upheavel in politics ever and showed the little guy that your voice and your opinion will not be silenced.

You went from there are no moderates to the Dems are center left pretty quick. Trump never cared for the little guy except for how much he could scrounge off of them. He butchered plenty of innocents. Stopping reporting of drone strikes does not equate to stopping drone strikes.

• Advertisement

The Democrats are now definitely centre-left

They're not.

with a severe pang of Crony capitalism thrown in for good measure.
    Hmmm...

Trump was manifest destiny, zero-Govt interference, true dog eat dog capitalism and led America to its greatest ever economic pinnacle.

It wasn't.

The Trump tax cuts and he reeled in the warhawks, not one country did he invade or didn't butcher innocents.

Eh... not one overseas death caused by Trump?

Trump was not a politician, he made enough enemies for himself and is now reaping the political seeds he planted. He was the greatest upheavel in politics ever
    no he wasn't
    and showed the little guy that your voice and your opinion will not be silenced.

Draining the swamp eh?

I mean in a post full of such nonsense that's a doozy.

I'm impressed you're still on the Trump Train though. You're a tenacious, I'll give you that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement