Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Caegan

Obviously he's just trying to organise some cables.

Yeah that or he fell over I. The middle isle in Aldi.

Genuinely can't believe what I saw today, that was a terrorist attack in the US Capitol. Can't believe it's gotten so bad. I knew Trump would be a disaster but to bring the US to the brink so quickly is just astounding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

America used to be about things like, freedom of speech, economic freedom, religious freedom. All of which are heavily under attack over the last while by radical leftists, they don't want freedom of speech over criticism of themselves, they want no economic freedom only punitive taxation for redistribution and if they could ban all religion they would. Trumpism is the ying to the yang created by the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭rosser44

theguzman wrote: »
    America used to be about things like, freedom of speech, economic freedom, religious freedom. All of which are heavily under attack over the last while by radical leftists, they don't want freedom of speech over criticism of themselves, they want no economic freedom only punitive taxation for redistribution and if they could ban all religion they would. Trumpism is the ying to the yang created by the left.

"Trumpism" is just modern Fascism

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Amazing trump had been booted off Twitter. I suspect he is livid.

He will try to get someone else to proxy tweet, but Twitter will have no qualm banning them which they can't do to Potus.

Fox is incredible right now, person after person critical of Trump. It's as if CNN invaded the Fox news studios.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,811 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

McConnell: we will certify the result of the presidential election.... The word insurrectionists is now the operative word of the day. What might happen next is Mitch, Chuck and Mike will meet tonight with the senior members of the Trump/Pence admin and the acting AG for the rotation of duties under the 25th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭paul71

theguzman wrote: »

In Ireland we have a marginal tax rate of 52% for a single person on about 40k per year. Many claim we have been ruled by right wing parties for 100 years, which is of course rubbish. 7 states in the US have a zero rate of income tax.

The Democrats most left wing proposal is mandatory universal health insurance. In the UK the Tory party (right wing), support free health care in the form of the NHS a system far to the left of the Democrats aim for the US healthcare system.

Free speech is NOT license to say what you wish what you want without consequence. You cannot lie without responsibility for that lie.

Religion is NOT a matter of politics it should have NO place in lawmaking, it is a matter of private conscience only.

Trumpism is not conservatism, it is attempted dictatorship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Schumer is not pulling any punches laying into Trump from the lectern in the Senate. "Worst President ever"

aloyisious wrote: »
    McConnell: we will certify the result of the presidential election.... The word insurrectionists is now the operative word of the day. What might happen next is Mitch, Chuck and Mike will meet tonight with the senior members of the Trump/Pence admin and the acting AG for the rotation of duties under the 25th.

Theres no way they leave him in power for thew next 2 weeks. He's shown he'll go all the way and can't be controlled

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Sen. Lankford was on the floor talking about the proposed objection to the results when the invasion happened. He just finished 2 minutes of speech by getting behind certifying Biden as President.

Amazing how low things had to go to get these Senate Republicans to cop on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The tone of the house in shifting from conflict, towards ensuring that the franchise is recognised is notable and welcome.

The Republicans have made it very clear that the objection nonsense is over and the purpose of the reconvene is to certify Joe Biden as POTUS.
    It's a welcome development.

One would wonder what will become of Trump?
    A clear narcissist shorn of power and influence and thoroughly rejected by the GOP.
    Suicide or exile?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,132 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

paul71 wrote: »
    In Ireland we have a marginal tax rate of 52% for a single person on about 40k per year. Many claim we have been ruled by right wing parties for 100 years, which is of course rubbish. 7 states in the US have a zero rate of income tax.

The Democrats most left wing proposal is mandatory universal health insurance. In the UK the Tory party (right wing), support free health care in the form of the NHS a system far to the left of the Democrats aim for the US healthcare system.

Free speech is NOT license to say what you wish what you want without consequence. You cannot lie without responsibility for that lie.

Religion is a matter of politics it should have NO place in lawmaking, it is a matter of private conscience only.

Trumpism is not conservatism, it is attempted dictatorship.

I don't want to dissect this post as its pretty much spot on, but I will add that the idea that Trump and his ilk are defenders of free speech is insane.

You seen at the Senate meetings with the heads of social media the GOP tried to portray it was about free speech, but it wasn't ,,,the likes of Trump, Cruz etc want those platforms to be state propaganda ala the worst middle east directors.

Free speech my arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

banie01 wrote: »
    The tone of the house in shifting from conflict, towards ensuring that the franchise is recognised is notable and welcome.

The Republicans have made it very clear that the objection nonsense is over and the purpose of the reconvene is to certify Joe Biden as POTUS.

More likely due to the Dem wins in Georgia where the Reps will now need bipartisanship.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

One would wonder what will become of Trump?
    A clear narcissist shorn of power and influence and thoroughly rejected by the GOP.
    Suicide or exile?

Extinction burst. Most likely will try to da as much damage as possible, hopefully he has been completely and effectively declawed now that the rats are abandoning ship. I keep imagining him chewing on the carpet with rage at having been silenced by Twitter, but that's probably not the case.

marno21 wrote: »
    Sen. Lankford was on the floor talking about the proposed objection to the results when the invasion happened. He just finished 2 minutes of speech by getting behind certifying Biden as President.

Amazing how low things had to go to get these Senate Republicans to cop on.

That's good from Lankford, but we need Hawley or Cruz or ideally both to follow suit to really have an impact. Those 2 were the face of this "movement" so they have to own it one way or other.

Loeffer falling into line now, looks like Mitch has read the riot act to these clowns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Rjd2 wrote: »
    That's good from Lankford, but we need Hawley or Cruz or ideally both to follow suit to really have an impact. Those 2 were the face of this "movement" so they have to own it one way or other.

I hope they don't and that's the end of them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,612 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Cory Booker giving some speech. Doesn't need notes.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    I don't want to dissect this post as its pretty much spot on, but I will add that the idea that Trump and his ilk are defenders of free speech is insane.

You seen at the Senate meetings with the heads of social media the GOP tried to portray it was about free speech, but it wasn't ,,,the likes of Trump, Cruz etc want those platforms to be state propaganda ala the worst middle east directors.

Free speech my arse.

I actually reread my post when you quoted and spotted a mistake I made, I did a ninja edit, and changed it to "religion is Not a matter of politics", but I think you got the sense of my meaning anyway.

Apologies for the ninja edit.

Water John wrote: »
    Cory Booker giving some speech. Doesn't need notes.

He's really giving them both barrels

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

And two months too late. They thought they had problems dealing with the ramifications of this attitude leading to the Georgia senate races, one must wonder what the pushback is going to be against Republican politicians as a group in two years as a result of today's events.

It may not be the 'fall of the empire' for the GOP, but the next two years are going to be a reckoning, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a split.

Not that Democrats would object to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

How long does this go on? It’s fascinating but I’m knackered. Last time I stayed up this late watching US politics was the days of watching election results!

Dick Durbin is tearing into Cruz.

Water John wrote: »
    Dick Durbin is tearing into Cruz.

I am watching on CNN but getting reporters speaker over the Senators. Do you know where I can watch the senate proceedings without overbites?

Drumpot wrote: »
    How long does this go on? It’s fascinating but I’m knackered. Last time I stayed up this late watching US politics was the days of watching election results!

I love election night and the buzz around it but this although a bit boring at times beats the pants off it

I am watching on CNN but getting reporters speaker over the Senators. Do you know where I can watch the senate proceedings without overbites?

C-SPAN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,817 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

C-Span Channels on Youtube seem good.
    That's what I'm watching.

C-SPAN.
    C-Span Channels on Youtube seem good.
    That's what I'm watching.

C-SPAN on their website is far superior. You can scroll to individual speakers and see the speech text.

Seems Marshall Kansas is sticking to his commission.

I never ever thought of the Majority leader being in the house being Steny Hoyer. Just assumed the speaker assumed that role in the House.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Its an even bigger clusterfcuk than I could have imagined.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement