Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

The woman killed yesterday has been named as Ashli Babbitt, a 14-year veteran of the US air force. Seemed to have got sucked into the conspiracy hole that is Trumpism.
    QAnon actually. Not that there's much separating them. It's terribly sad. There was a chap came up on my Twitter feed who said he'd been sitting beside her on the plane up from California and (although at first he wasn't sure it was her, had it confirmed later) said she was to all intents and purposes a nice friendly woman who he chatted to for the duration of the flight. These people get sucked down a rabbit hole and unfortunately can't get back out. How it starts is anyone's guess. Just tragic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,817 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

prawnsambo wrote: »
    QAnon actually. Not that there's much separating them. It's terribly sad. There was a chap came up on my Twitter feed who said he'd been sitting beside her on the plane up from California and (although at first he wasn't sure it was her, had it confirmed later) said she was to all intents and purposes a nice friendly woman who he chatted to for the duration of the flight. These people get sucked down a rabbit hole and unfortunately can't get back out. How it starts is anyone's guess. Just tragic.

There's plenty on Boards gone down the same rabbit hole and I have two friends in their 40's in Ireland who aren't too far behind them.
    In one of their cases it was conservative Christian commentators who aligned themselves with Trump because of his suppose Pro-Life views but they have gone full QAnon since then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

Hurrache wrote: »
    All the computers in that place with easily accessible USB ports, it's a nightmare for the NSA.

It doesn't work like that. All of those computers will work on a secure and encrypted intranet system. You can't just plug in a USB and get all the secrets....

There's plenty on Boards gone down the same rabbit hole and I have two friends in their 40's in Ireland who aren't too far behind them.
    In one of their cases it was conservative Christian commentators who aligned themselves with Trump because of his suppose Pro-Life views but they have gone full QAnon since then.
    In some ways I can see the seductive nature of a simplistic answer to all their troubles. It's the same well from which racism springs. Finding an easy answer and being able to externalise it to a group, ideology, political movement or whatever. It doesn't solve anything though, it just breeds anger.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

##Mod Note##

Interesting as it might be , let's move on from the in's and out's of USB relating hacking possibilities.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Parachutes wrote: »
    Both sides are as bad and as hypocritical as each other. Whether it's the burning down of entire neighbourhood's or breaking windows of the Capitol building. It doesn't matter whether it's Trump or Biden sitting on the throne, it doesn't matter as things are still going to push on relatively unchanged. Such is the paradigm of left/right politics.

At the end of the day the little guy will still be getting screwed.
    At the end of the day, the president of the USA incited a mob to try and overturn an election. He failed. But his place in infamy is secured.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Both sides are as bad and as hypocritical as each other. Whether it's the burning down of entire neighbourhood's or breaking windows of the Capitol building. It doesn't matter whether it's Trump or Biden sitting on the throne, it doesn't matter as things are still going to push on relatively unchanged. Such is the paradigm of left/right politics.

Yeah, protesting for social justice and racial equality is about the same as trying to stop the democratic process and install a fascist dictatorship at the behest of a deranged manchild.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

There is no both sides to what happened yesterday. BLM protests were for Racial injustice. These protests yesterday came about from Trumped up conspiracy theories. The US Capitol was attacked for the first time since 1812 yesterday and one side is to blame. Now they're even saying it was Antifa. They can't even own up to it. Breaking windows....lol it was much more than that.

I don't think it's the end of it either. Next time they will come with their precious guns and it will be much worse. I wouldn't be surprised if they do something on Inaugeration Day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It doesn't work like that. All of those computers will work on a secure and encrypted intranet system. You can't just plug in a USB and get all the secrets....

Again, I never said you can plug in and get all the secrets, I'm a 30 year IT professional myself so I'm not naïve or get everything I understand about computers from 90s movies.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/01/07/cybersecurity-202-riot-capitol-is-nightmare-scenario-cybersecurity-professionals/

edit: saw the mod msg after the post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Yeah no.

There was no Democrat leader out inciting violence so both sides are not the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Yeah no.

There was no Democrat leader out inciting violence so both sides are not the same.

I don't know what happened to my comment, but there was plenty of Democrat leaders who came out in support of BLM riots/did nothing to stop them for fear of being called out by the media. The CHOP/CHAZ in Seattle is a good example.

And to the person above who said "fighting racial injustice" opinions about that particular issue aside, burning down black owned small businesses and robbing tellies has nothing to do with that. It's just a convenient excuse for thuggery.

And before the whataboutery starts, what the Trump rioters did yesterday was completely unacceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

At the end of the day, the president of the USA incited a mob to try and overturn an election. He failed. But his place in infamy is secured.

A massive crowd arrived in Washington to listen and hear Trump speak. However a notable large minority of Trump supporters broke off to cause trouble and they gave the democrat party a gift here. Due to this. There’s never going to be an analysis now to why 113,000 ballots in Fulton county Georgia on 4th had to be adjudicated after the computers failed to read them.

Georgia state representatives have never actually provided an explanation to why the dominion scanners in Fulton county failed to read the ballots? It’s a significant number of ballots. This is not a conspiracy despite some on here will claim.. Richard Barron (Fulton county election director) announced that number, had to be manually reviewed on the 4th.

113,000 citizens not know how to mark a ballot accordingly for their candidate?

it shocked me watching the session at Congress that not one of the Republicans brought this up. Republican Senators based the arguments around legal matters, with the courts in swing states changing election voting laws, and its legit point. The Republicans here decided to protect their own jobs, then learn the truth.

A massive crowd arrived in Washington to listen and hear Trump speak. However a notable large minority of Trump supporters broke off to cause trouble and they gave the democrat party a gift here. Due to this. There’s never going to be an analysis now to why 113,000 ballots in Fulton county Georgia on 4th had to be adjudicated after the computers failed to read them.

Georgia state representatives have never actually provided an explanation to why the dominion scanners in Fulton county failed to read the ballots? It’s a significant number of ballots. This is not a conspiracy despite some on here will claim.. Richard Barron (Fulton county election director) announced that number, had to be manually reviewed on the 4th.

it shocked me watching the session at Congress that not one of the Republicans brought this up. Republican Senators based the arguments around legal matters, with the courts in swing states changing election voting laws, and its legit point. The Republicans here decided to protect their own jobs, then learn the truth.
    You'll need to provide a citation for this, because the only thing I can find on ballots having to be rescanned or recounted concerns only 342.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,696 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

So they were counted in the end?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,617 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

This is not what happened and you know it! Trump whipped those idiots up and sent them.off to the capitol building, he encouraged them, he told them he would march with them and he sent four of them off to thier deaths.

Those deaths are on his head, that womans blood is on his hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

I thought you and your horse ****e had fooked off into the distance! There is a very good reason why none of them brought this up and you know why (strange that some of the derranged ones didn't bring it up though!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭paul71

I am done with this kind rubbish after listening to 2 months of lies. That is pure conspiracy theory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Leroy42 wrote: »
    So they were counted in the end?
    They were counted manually as the computers couldn't read them.

Im not sure why this is an issue that could change the election in any way?

Why would adjudicated results be different?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Do you think it might, just might, have something to do with the fact that Georgia did a full manual recount of every single vote and it still did not change the outcome? You know; the point of the election to determine who won the election in the state, the manual count changed the result by 0.02% with a total of 1,400 votes out of 4,997,716 votes total. If the Dominion systems were somehow hacked/shredding/what ever votes the manual recount done would have shown it; nothing came up. Hence what objections are there then to bring up? The computer count was accurate; the manual count was accurate and the full recount manually (to avoid any potential hacking of machines etc.) showed no difference of note. In short; what exactly are they suppose to object about then?
    In all, there were 126 counties within 10 votes of their original vote tally, according to the audit data. Of those counties, 54 counties matched their initial results exactly. No county had an error rate higher than 0.73% compared to their original results.

This is not what happened and you know it! Trump whipped those idiots up and sent them.off to the capitol building, he encouraged them, he told them he would march with them and he sent four of them off to thier deaths.

Those deaths are on his head, that womans blood is on his hands.

Trump told them to go and storm the building? Can i get that quote here to read? Law enforcement had surrounded the building and with barrier protection. Trump wanted them to go there and protest outside. For him this was enough. You think differently that's fine.

By the way, after this, some Republicans insist it was Antifa who caused the trouble., That’s bull****, most of the troublemakers are definitely rednecks from down south. While it's conceivable, there was outside troublemakers there in the crowd, every individual has a responsibility. Break down doors and windows and menace and threaten police on duty, you are not there to be peaceful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Are people who believe this in it for ****s and giggles, or have they really been brainwashed from reality?

113,000 ballots in not a modest number of votes. It’s outside all known modelling. This flagging occurred in just one county in Georgia. Not the entire state .

Can you provide an official statement as to why so many votes got flagged by the computer? The reasons?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Not only that but they had 2 further recounts including a full manual recount and a full audit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,513 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Trump kicked off Facebook and Instagram

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-55569604

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Hurrache wrote: »
    Are people who believe this in it for ****s and giggles, or have they really been brainwashed from reality?
    Why think for yourself when you can have other tell you that it's not your fault instead? Add in Facebook echo chambers (this is a recognized fact actually while the right wing keep whining about being censored when the opposite is true) to reinforce it as true while being cheered on by people who in court state "that no one would ever believe what they say" as the excuse to be allowed to lie. Easy solutions to complex problem is right out of the book of populists and fascists and of course the classic "it's them over there's fault" as the escape goat. The fact Trump did not manage to deliver on any campaign promises while controlling both Senate and Congress is simply being constructed afterwards with excuses because anything else would require them to confront their own self lies and take personal responsibility. The Wave from 1981 is an example on how it can be done in practice honestly and why people fall for it as they feel special and part of a special group with inside knowledge/understanding.

113,000 ballots in not a modest number of votes. It’s outside all known modelling. This flagging occurred in just one county in Georgia. Not the entire state .

Can you provide an official statement as to why so many votes got flagged by the computer? The reasons?
    I've asked you to provide a citation for that number. I can't find it. The most I can find is 342. I'm asking you again. Ignore it again and I'll assume it's made up.

Trump told them to go and storm the building? Can i get that quote here to read? Law enforcement had surrounded the building and with barrier protection. Trump wanted them to go there and protest outside. For him this was enough. You think differently that's fine.
    That's not what Timberrrrr said. You've changed that quite significantly. But here is Trump telling the crowd to walk down to the Capitol and cheer on the senators and congresspeople (but not some of them)... telling them that they'll never take back their country with weakness... they have to show strength.

I've asked you to provide a citation for that number. I can't find it. The most I can find is 342. I'm asking you again. Ignore it again and I'll assume it's made up.

Provide you the video to support my claim.
    https://www.c-span.org/video/?477819-1/fulton-county-georgia-election-update

Richard Barron says about 140,000 ballots got counted by 7pm on the 4th ( Fulton county). From 113,000- 106,000 of those had adjudication (manual review) which literally means the computer could not read the paper ballot. So a person had to decide here who the voter wanted to give a preference to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭paul71

Provide you the video to support my claim.
    https://www.c-span.org/video/?477819-1/fulton-county-georgia-election-update

Richard Barron says about 140,000 ballots got counted by 7pm on the 4th ( Fulton county). From 113,000- 106,000 of those had adjudication (manual review) which literally means the computer could not read the paper ballot. So a person had to decide here who the voter wanted to give a preference to.

Wow, an appointed election official had to read a ballot paper?

Lets recount every election for the last 250 years!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Trump and Cruz will run in 2024, the Republican party will have to allow them on the ticket or Trump will run independently, carry the South, split the vote and hand the race to a Democrat, Kamala Harris?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement