Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

theguzman wrote: »
    Obama and Hilary destroyed Libya and turned a first world highly developed country into a failed state in a matter of weeks under the guise of Democracy. The ordinary Libyan was much better off under Gaddafi. We will see now what the radical left will do in America, I suspect there will be alot of Irish people left bruised by the time 2024 rolls around and alot of the multinationals are long gone, lads will be longing for the days of Trump, stock market highs and the 3 great years precovid. Meanwhile China will assume global superpower status and once they start meddling in other countries affairs the coming decade will be disaster in comparison to what we seen go before.
    Sorry but Trump already made sure that was true by pulling of the FTA, praising China in private etc. He also emboldened North Korea to get more nuclear weapons and PR for exactly nothing in return. He's made sure Russia has been able to freely hack into thousands of companies in USA without repercussion and has spilled secret military weapons to the world.

Honestly you could not have Trump do more damage if he was a paid KGB agent (because they would have been more careful to not get caught) and the ironic part is he did it all while his cheerleaders stood by with big puppy eyes cheering the great leader for his great work. Trump will be mentioned as the president who presided and ensured USAs fall from grace and power in the world in the history books in years to come and will be held up an example of why populist leaders fail as well as most likely being the only president impeached twice while trying to cause a coup in the USA. All hail the great leader.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,110 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

theguzman wrote: »
    If it looks even remotely like Prison for Trump, he will be on G6 out of there before anyone even notices he is missing. When Dubya didn't get prison for the genocide of the Iraqi people then Trump can rest easy. I don't get the hate for Trump a man of his word and never invaded a single country or started a war. A man of peace and business.

He bombed Syria twice, authorized strikes on Iran (his advisors walked him back), threatened to "totally destroy" N Korea, ordered a drone strike to kill a senior Iranian commander, got a dangerous mob to overrun Congress while it was in session resulting in deaths in the Capitol building and thanked them after

And while we're at it; fawns over autocrats, firing anyone who he perceives is disloyal to him, on record telling thousands of falsehoods, spreading baseless conspiracies, actively trying to subvert multiple elections, up to his neck in cronyism and nepotism, pardoning his criminal friends and colleagues, almost certainly a tax evader, a lifetime of affairs, bullying on social media, racism, bigotry, inciting violence, showing support for far-right groups, anti-science, anti-environment.. and this is not even touching on his frightful policies..

But apart from all that, what's not to like about the man..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,100 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

He'll never see jail time. Slippery as an eel and will have all his banjo players funding hs defense.

He'll also never run again as he knows he would lose. The nightmare scenario for the GOP is him running as an independent. Which actually he COULD do. Not to become president but just to screw over the GOP. Because he would see that as a win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,817 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

He'll never see jail time. Slippery as an eel and will have all his banjo players funding hs defense.

Up until yesterday, would have agreed with you 100%. After yesterday (events both in Washington and Democrats taking Georgia) have increased the chance to about 2%.
    He'll also never run again as he knows he would lose. The nightmare scenario for the GOP is him running as an independent. Which actually he COULD do. Not to become president but just to screw over the GOP. Because he would see that as a win.

Agreed. Think he is finished and he might make noise about trying to run as an independent as a grift or to push a narrative for the likes of Steve Bannon but I don't think we will see it happen. Would be very sure of that actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

He could run if he starts a media group or whatever, just to feed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Is there any real chance of invoking the 25th amendment to remove Trump till the end or is it just tabloid journalism?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

cj maxx wrote: »
    Is there any real chance of invoking the 25th amendment to remove Trump till the end or is it just tabloid journalism?

It’s more likely than impeachment but it does seem it’s being at least discussed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,100 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Can't wait to see what happens next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Can't wait to see what happens next season.

Its like waiting for the world cup, every 4 years is far too long.

• cj maxx wrote: »

Not tabloid journalism one way or another - a lot of what’s being reported are the calls from Representatives & Senators. Speaker Pelosi is (according to NBC) hold a briefing shortly on the events yesterday & she may have something to say about removing him from office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Meanwhile there's a lot of scraping of social media posts and videos going on to try and identify some of the insurrectionists. Bellingcat have collected 11.6Gb of data so far - they reckon people will start deleting within 48 hours as they realise the consequences of their actions. Although there are some who just make it far too easy to be identified. Like this guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

He needs to be removed as soon as possible and then charged for inciting a riot. That should be the first of many charges and investigations against him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    It’s more likely than impeachment but it does seem it’s being at least discussed.

I think the resignation of a cabinet secretary in protest of trumps actions reduces the likely hood of 25th ammendment being invoked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I'm failing to see what the issue is here. He's quite clear as to why they are adjudicated. There's an issue with voter intent - which basically means the mark they made isn't clear enough for the scanner to accurately record their vote in a particular race. It could have been for city dog-catcher or whatever. So they check them. What a nothing burger. Seriously. What a waste of my time. :(
    And that's how this is so hard to fight. People like this believe it and spread it instantaneously. It's already seen and believed by hundreds of people by the time one curious person has actually taken the time to research it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Following on from the chap who helpfully wore his work lanyard to the coup, we have the proud daddy helpfully identifying his son. They really are not the brightest people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I think the resignation of a cabinet secretary in protest of trumps actions reduces the likely hood of 25th ammendment being invoked.

Aren't a lot of Trump's people only acting heads and therefore excluded or am I getting that arseways?
    prawnsambo wrote: »
    Following on from the chap who helpfully wore his work lanyard to the coup, we have the proud daddy helpfully identifying his son. They really are not the brightest people.

That's a fairly solid case but I wonder if some of the doxxing is going to end in some mistaken identity tragedy. Might be better to wait for the law to deal with people, even if confidence in law enforcement is at a low.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

cj maxx wrote: »

It’s too convoluted. Pence can gather the cabinet, get them to agree and then send a letter to Trump. Then Trump is allowed to respond. If he disagrees congress has 2 weeks to vote. It’s almost pointless.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

kowloon wrote: »
    Aren't a lot of Trump's people only acting heads and therefore excluded or am I getting that arseways

Seems to be some debate on whether the acting heads are in or out.

Basically there are 15 members of the core cabinet.. Those with "Secretary of" in their title.

25th amendment needs 8 out of the 15 to be accepted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Brian? wrote: »
    It’s too convoluted. Pence can gather the cabinet, get them to agree and then send a letter to Trump. Then Trump is allowed to respond. If he disagrees congress has 2 weeks to vote. It’s almost pointless.

During that time, he is removed from power until they have voted.

Very much the opposite of pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Mrs Mconnell is no patriot I can tell you that much. The 25th is not going to be invoked regardless, its also pretty damn unlikely there will be an impeachment - there are 13 days left, not a lot of time to get it done realistically, more likely they put him in a constitutional straight jacket so to speak (which is in itself entering dicey territory legally, as was apparently Pence cutting him out of the process of the response yesterday when **** really hit the fan)

They just never thought they might ever have to pay the cost for their actions the likes of Jordan, Cruz etc. They don't give a **** about riling up the base and inflaming, enabling and inciting violence and undermining democracy once they think they are well protected from it but it all got a bit too close to home for some of them yesterday, shame it didn't get a little bit closer tbh, just enough for them to really get a fright in the hope it would actually let them have a genuine moment of reflection.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,612 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Congress could vote on the same day. However getting two thirds in both Houses?

sdanseo wrote: »
    During that time, he is removed from power until they have voted.

Very much the opposite of pointless.

But he isn’t immediately removed from power. He’s still the president until congress vote. He could do an incredible amount of damage.

they/them/theirs

Water John wrote: »
    Congress could vote on the same day. However getting two thirds in both Houses?

Better just to run the clock down.

I was watching John Bolton, loathsome man but very knowledgeable. His take: “put him on Air Force one and let him golf for 2 weeks”.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

They could actually remove him though, technically it can go like, they send him the letter, he says eh thanks but no thanks I think Im alright, then they say no your really not lad time to take a rest and remove him, then he appeals it. Then they just run out the clock on him with Pence as President.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,513 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

By initiating an impeachment, does that mean trump can't pardon crimes issuing to said impeachment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,132 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Mrs Mconnell is no patriot I can tell you that much. The 25th is not going to be invoked regardless, its also pretty damn unlikely there will be an impeachment - there are 13 days left, not a lot of time to get it done realistically, more likely they put him in a constitutional straight jacket so to speak (which is in itself entering dicey territory legally, as was apparently Pence cutting him out of the process of the response yesterday when **** really hit the fan)

They just never thought they might ever have to pay the cost for their actions the likes of Jordan, Cruz etc. They don't give a **** about riling up the base and inflaming, enabling and inciting violence and undermining democracy once they think they are well protected from it but it all got a bit too close to home for some of them yesterday, shame it didn't get a little bit closer tbh, just enough for them to really get a fright in the hope it would actually let them have a genuine moment of reflection.

I actually totally forgot I had a bet on him not to finish his first term from three years ago, don't need to see **** like this, I've been on a roll with political betting recently. (well as much of a roll you can be):P

Its a good post if you ignore the pissing on my parade, Mitch is in pure self preservation mode nothing more, his response would have been much different if Loeffer and Perdue had won on Monday.

Hawley a country club Republican simply let his ambition get the better of him, he has made himself a huge target for next few years and ultimately for what?

The MAGA people he was trying to charm think Yesterday was Antifa , they won't remember his speech about some irregularities here and their.

Coulter, Bannon, Pence, Sessions, Barr and many more thought they could work with Trump and his base and look what happened them.

I think when you are power hungry as Hawley and Cruz knowing that your political career has at best stalled is probably punishment enough.

They tried to play with matches and right now it looks like a terrible move for both.

duploelabs wrote: »
    By initiating an impeachment, does that mean trump can't pardon crimes issuing to said impeachment?

Only if he’s impeached in the House and convicted in the Senate.

they/them/theirs

They could actually remove him though, technically it can go like, they send him the letter, he says eh thanks but no thanks I think Im alright, then they say no your really not lad time to take a rest and remove him, then he appeals it. Then they just run out the clock on him with Pence as President.

Is it worth the backlash from the maga crowd ?

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭paul71

Is it worth the backlash from the maga crowd ?

Is it worth the backlash from republicans who are not delusional MAGA?

I am not being factious Brain, you are asking a geniune question but the GOP is splitting the question is which side is the larger in that split.

• Advertisement

paul71 wrote: »
    Is it worth the backlash from republicans who are not delusional MAGA?

I am not being factious Brain, you are asking a geniune question but the GOP is splitting the question is which side is the larger in that split.

I have my fingers crossed it does split, but I don’t think it will.

The crazies will be brought out again in ‘24 for the GOP.

they/them/theirs

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement