Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

kowloon wrote: »
    That's a fairly solid case but I wonder if some of the doxxing is going to end in some mistaken identity tragedy. Might be better to wait for the law to deal with people, even if confidence in law enforcement is at a low.

It's not doxing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Brian? wrote: »
    Is it worth the backlash from the maga crowd ?

Its something that you would really need to give serious consideration to and weigh it up but ultimately how the MAGA crowd react shouldn't be the deciding factor, how are they gonna react when Biden is sworn in for example and trump is slinging **** from the sidelines for the next 4 years? You can't govern based on the emotional reaction of an angry mob - as that eejit Ben Shapiro likes to say when it serves his purpose, facts don't care about your feelings.

I understand what you're saying, and would genuinely need to really think long and hard about the pros and cons of it if I was in the position. Symbolically, and simply in terms of being the right thing to do of course the lunatic should have been removed a long time ago, but making him more of a martyr than he is already going to make himself (along with a large section of media outlets) is definitely a consideration and given there is so little time left in his reign of course just running the clock out on him has to be considered.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

kayleighs doing a presser soon. should be fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Of all the things I've seen posted regarding yesterday's shítshow.
    It's the below, even if it turns out being a fake, it's the funniest takedown I've seen of the patriots in ages.

Screenshot-2021-01-07-21-58-53-963-com-reddit-frontpage.jpg
    geo file online

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Brian? wrote: »
    But he isn’t immediately removed from power. He’s still the president until congress vote. He could do an incredible amount of damage.

He is.
    Section 4. Whenever the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive departments or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall immediately assume the powers and duties of the office as Acting President.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,675 ✭✭✭✭looksee

froog wrote: »
    kayleighs doing a presser soon. should be fun.

Kayleigh looking rather shook, hadn't even had her curls installed, gave the expected denouncement of the invasion of the Capitol building and said it was time for all Americans to come together blah blah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,811 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

One thing that both the democratic and republican parties can work on immediately with agreement is that no candidate for the presidency, no sitting president and no president-elect will be allowed to raise, have or maintain what amounts to a private army behind him to do whatever he wants, the way Trump was allowed. The Trump Supporters waving his banner proved to be there neither for the good of America or the GOP, instead they did as he commanded yesterday. End the abuse of the constitution by inserting a clause to stop presidents having private armies.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

sdanseo wrote: »
    He is.

I was mistaken. Thanks.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭What.Now

sdanseo wrote: »
    He is.

It should be done now so. It's to dangerous to have him there for the last two weeks.

aloyisious wrote: »
    One thing that both the democratic and republican parties can work on immediately with agreement is that no candidate for the presidency, no sitting president and no president-elect will be allowed to raise, have or maintain what amounts to a private army behind him to do whatever he wants, the way Trump was allowed. The Trump Supporters waving his banner proved to be there neither for the good of America or the GOP, instead they did as he commanded yesterday. End the abuse of the constitution by inserting a clause to stop presidents having private armies.

How would that even work? I mean you can't stop people connecting with someone in that way, Obama would have had similar in terms of a connection to his audience especially during his first run and term (about the best your gonna get from the Democrat side of being adored, him and Clinton come to mind), I don't see how you can stop people being so passionate about their politicians/leaders, would would be lovely is if the ones who have honourable intentions could somehow find a way to inspire the crowds the way some of the more populist ones do.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,617 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

What.Now wrote: »

It should be done now so. It's to dangerous to have him there for the last two weeks.

I actually don't think there is any danger

Bare with me.

After yesterday's clusterf*%k I think Trump is done, yes he is still technically "president if the United States of America" but I honestly believe all power has been taken from him.

He has been sat down and told to either shut up and sit out his last few days in silence and in return he will be allowed get his pardons that he issues himself, he's probably been told that he, ivanka, Jared et al will be left alone in any future prosecutions.

If he doesn't comply then the 25th will be bought into play, he will be kicked out and no pardons handed down and he will be on his own.

I honestly believe that as of last night if Trump asks for a cup of coffee it gets run past Pence, Pelosi and some very high up Generals before his request is granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

current chatter is that 25th is highly unlikely, pence too scared of MAGA to do it. a quick impeachment is very much on the cards though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,132 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Bare with me.

After yesterday's clusterf*%k I think Trump is done, yes he is still technically "president if the United States of America" but I honestly believe all power has been taken from him.

He has been sat down and told to either shut up and sit out his last few days in silence and in return he will be allowed get his pardons that he issues himself, he's probably been told that he, ivanka, Jared et al will be left alone in any future prosecutions.

If he doesn't comply then the 25th will be bought into play, he will be kicked out and no pardons handed down and he will be on his own.

I honestly believe that as of last night if Trump asks for a cup of coffee it gets run past Pence, Pelosi and some very high up Generals before his request is granted.

Aye he is done.

Social media has had enough of him and he never really invested in alternative infrastructures to compete.

He will still have his base but without a serious platform then he is impotent and I actually think after last few days he won't be the kingmaker that some have predicted.

I think the scenario you outlined is his best outcome, he has few allies who truly believe the election was stolen and he will at least be able to console himself with the fact he stole hundreds of millions of some very vulnerable people he can use for the golf course or more likely to fund his useless kid's political career's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,133 ✭✭✭✭briany

Bare with me.

I have previously said that I'd be wary of prosecuting Trump because it could push an already fragile political situation over the edge, but the cat's out of the bag on that, and to be honest, the pro-Trump people have shown they're not really up to much. The Gravy Seals would probably have many more medical emergencies on the field of battle vs. cops and National Guard. The only way to lay off prosecuting Trump is in return for him shutting up forever - go away somewhere and never you or your family incite or provoke anything ever again, or else old crimes will be thoroughly raked over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,110 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Gravy Seals, heh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,047 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Bare with me.

He's done alright in terms of support.

But no one's had that conversation with him no one.

He's lonely and surrounded only by his remaining staff .

How would that even work? I mean you can't stop people connecting with someone in that way, Obama would have had similar in terms of a connection to his audience especially during his first run and term (about the best your gonna get from the Democrat side of being adored, him and Clinton come to mind), I don't see how you can stop people being so passionate about their politicians/leaders, would would be lovely is if the ones who have honourable intentions could somehow find a way to inspire the crowds the way some of the more populist ones do.

The difference is that Trumps fanbase is exactly that. Its not a political party or GOP fanbase supporting that party's candidate. That personal fanbase waving HIS personal banner, as shown and used by Trump, is what I'm on about. It's a clear definition of the cult personality. Its about stopping ONE PERSON having a private army wearing that persons name as a loyalty-sign, not about a party supporter waving a Democratic or Republican paper flag or wearing a party hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭What.Now

Bare with me.

I hope you are right and it's very probable in what you are saying that this is what's happening.

However, what if there are 'Secretary Of States' who are still loyal to him and pretend to go along with that agenda but still take their leadership from Trump. They have a certain amount of immunity on what happens as per their agenda they can say afterwards that they were there to serve the President of the U.S. (Under the Constitution of the United States but this part won't be mentioned).

There is also another issue in that the people need to feel safe. If there are doubts this can lead to speculation and we know where unfounded speculation can lead.

Along with this, where would it leave the Secretaries Of State who don't follow Trumps orders as President. Will they be liable for treasonous behavior if one of Trumps henchmen come to power in 4 years.

It's a complete ****fest and I think we are in a danger zone.

The difference is that Trumps fanbase is exactly that. Its not a political party or GOP fanbase supporting that party's candidate. That personal fanbase waving HIS personal banner, as shown and used by Trump, is what I'm on about. It's a clear definition of the cult personality.

I understand that, but it is normal to see flags with the candidates name on them in election season. It isn't unique to trump, the connection to, and hold over tens of millions is also not unique to him but he is certainly one of the best at it in recent memory. It must be said though, he can not have done this alone, he has been helped and amplified every step of the way by politicians and media outlets who helped create the monster and then found out they couldn't control it. This has happened before in history and no doubt will again.

I agree with you that this cult of personality thing is potentially very dangerous but how do you legislate against it without infringing on people's rights? Thats what I mean by how would it even work.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭flanna01

Trump is now powerless.

His last stand crashed and burned spectacularly..

He got somebody shot in the sacred hub of the Senate. His army of delusional zombies attempted to storm the Law Makers bolt hole armed with guns and pipe bombs.. All on the indirect orders of a sore looser who can't accept defeat.

He thrown Pence under the bus in a blink on an eye.. The ultra loyal Pence that stood by him through all his outrageous stunts.

I can see Trump locked in his bedroom, dressed in a pink Panther onesie, half medicated, with the Secret Service guarding the door.

There is nobody in their right mind going to let him do anything between now and January 20th.

Does anybody really believe that Trump knows anything about a tweet sent on his behalf assuring a no quibble hand over of power to Joe Biden.... Pleeeease..!!

America is in decline. Trump was never a politician, his self preservation was his number one priority from day one. Four years later, the country is on the brink of civil war. Even the live coverage of the House of Commons Brexit votes debacles drift into insignificance compared to this sh*tstorm..

It seems like he produced cringworthy moments everytime he opened his mouth. He was an utter embarrassment as a President.

I feel sorry for Mike Pence. He would have made a great President and would have sealed a second term.. Instead, he will be forever tarred as the man that backed Trump. And live everyone before him, Trump turned on him when he didn't do his bidding..

Fast Forward One Year...

Recently divorced Trump is bogged down in multiple court actions. His empire is bankrupt, he owes hundreds of millions, and the criminal lawyers are filing multiple financial law suites against him. The GOP party have disowned him, all social media platforms have him banned, and he spends most of his days with his defence lawyers all alone, just another bum and a looser that got fired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So the chief of the capitol police is resigning next week and one person who’s been charged claimed to be a federal employee.I’d be surprised if it’s just one federal employee amongst them. There’s a lot of video from yesterday showing the capitol police in not the best light but also some angles showing them trying to stop the crowd but it’s clearly a losing battle. America under trump was a false ceiling but now the ceiling tiles have fallen and there’s a leak.

I understand that, but it is normal to see flags with the candidates name on them in election season. It isn't unique to trump, the connection to, and hold over tens of millions is also not unique to him but he is certainly one of the best at it in recent memory. It must be said though, he can not have done this alone, he has been helped and amplified every step of the way by politicians and media outlets who helped create the monster and then found out they couldn't control it. This has happened before in history and no doubt will again.

I agree with you that this cult of personality thing is potentially very dangerous but how do you legislate against it without infringing on people's rights? Thats what I mean by how would it even work.

A start could be made by identifying the candidate to the party, and not the other way around, as Trump did with expertise. I agree with you, he was able to hijack the GOP, with the help of Cruz, Graham and other GOP senators who did regular flips for him at vital moments for him. That party will have to go in for a deep post-mortem of what went wrong with their internal party rules.

He was also assisted by the legal eagles within Washington, incl two Attorneys General, who chose to give him the benefit of their doubt whenever he engaged in questionable legal activities. Remove their ability to do so again.

He didn't waste his time on TV shows honing skills playing others against each other all those years before playing on the national and world front.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Bare with me.

I don't see how he can issue pardons for yesterday's actions.
    And I think there would really be ructions within the mainstream GOP if he walked away from this unscathed.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/trump-raffensperger-pardon-prosecute/2021/01/06/a32388fe-4f9d-11eb-bda4-615aaefd0555_story.html?outputType=amp

O.M.G. Dont look now. He's on TV condemning the Capitol take-over yesterday, saying those who broke into the Capitol building must be prosecuted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭Shelga

I’m seeing reports that a policeman injured in the carnage yesterday has died. RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭touts

O.M.G. Dont look now. He's on TV condemning the Capitol take-over yesterday, saying those who broke into the Capitol building must be prosecuted.

He just threw his supporters under a bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,617 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

He's back, with a mealy mouthed speech, obviously has been told to stay on script.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1347334804052844550?s=09

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Amusingly, under a law that he brought in to get black people locked up

There really always is a tweet

ErKyKN_WMAAnz_J?format=jpg&name=medium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭paul71

Shelga wrote: »
    I’m seeing reports that a policeman injured in the carnage yesterday has died. RIP.

I do not know if it was the same guy but I heard a story about a policeman being dragged into the crowd, beaten and kicked about the head and tazzered twice.

The President of the United states now must bear direct responsibility for the murder of a Policeman.

It is the second time today I have heard of a policeman who has died a result of an extreme right wing politician and their verbal diarrhea. We lost a Garda today to suicide, the young man who was hounded on social media by Gemma O'Doherty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Psychedelic Hedgehog

You know what? I've been brewing on this for a while, and I'd hoped that humanity would never come to this, but we can't be trusted with truly free speech.

Social media, and indeed any website that purports to support 'balanced' debate needs to consider the worth of giving extremist views airtime. It's enabled groups to brainwash and to radicalise regular people into performing abhorrent acts of both thought and violence.

As a technologist myself, I'm appalled at the craft I love being turned into such harmful vectors into people's humanity.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement