Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,811 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Trump may have walked himself into a cul-de-sac. CNN ran an item earlier this evening to the effect he was wearing a mask and saying it was patriotic to do so. It seems he's tweeted an image of himself wearing his presidential mask saying its patriotic to wear a mask. If he shows up anywhere there are a large group of people not part of his Admin team or W'H staff without wearing a mask, he stands the risk of being called unpatriotic. That would have to include tomorrows covid-19 briefing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

aloyisious wrote: »
    Trump may have walked himself into a cul-de-sac. CNN ran an item earlier this evening to the effect he was wearing a mask and saying it was patriotic to do so. It seems he's tweeted an image of himself wearing his presidential mask saying its patriotic to wear a mask. If he shows up anywhere there are a large group of people not part of his Admin team or W'H staff without wearing a mask, he stands the risk of being called unpatriotic.

You seem to have forgotten the unparalleled levels of cognitive dissonance he and his supporters are capable of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,612 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The real question is, why the doctors gave Trump a cognitive test? Wouldn't be done without reason.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I wonder if the sudden wearing of a mask is a sign the penny dropped about Trump's age. He's scarcely ageing gracefully and something tells me his very public denial meant he couldn't imagine he was in a vulnerable demographic. Notwithstanding his personal quack doctor, presumably the last remaining professionals were begging for him to wear one, for himself if nobody else.

VinLieger wrote: »
    You seem to have forgotten the unparalleled levels of cognitive dissonance he and his supporters are capable of

True enough. I was thinking along the lines of the old saying about scoundrels and patriotism given his position on telling the truth. The idea might have been from his new campaign manager to boost his ratings: nothing ventured, nothing gained.

It should get interesting if his followers split on the mask issue: one camp becoming patriotic because their padrone says its the thing to do now and the other camp following his earlier lead in freedom of choice [expression of dissent by refusing to wear a mask].

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Water John wrote: »
    The real question is, why the doctors gave Trump a cognitive test? Wouldn't be done without reason.

You'd have to wonder why he even brought up the bloody test because its raising more questions than answers. It was the same with the walking down the ramp at West Point and his tweet about it. The media weren't paying attention to it until trump brought it up. One journalist was asked had they even noticed it and they said no and only went back and watched him walking down the ramp after he highlighted it. He gets ahead of stories that aren't there which creates stories that more often then not make him look bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Did he have a briefing today or is it tomorrow they start ?

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Did he have a briefing today or is it tomorrow they start ?

Today [Tuesday].

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,834 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

duploelabs wrote: »
    You should come and work in restaurant kitchens, I've experienced a few head chefs with that behavior

Those are the nice ones, I've seen knives out in the kitchen on a normal day :pac:
    I've said it before, KAC and her husband are both singing from the same hymnsheet, wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if she is pressing Donald into precarious positions

Don't be an apologist for our own Hanoi Hannah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Today [Tuesday].

Going to be interesting. Wonder if Birx is going to be there still covering his ass.

• Advertisement

I see daggers are out again for AOC online. Why? The sheer audacity of a Portland inspired Bill that would require federal law enforcement to identify itself, wear badges, etc.

I didn’t expect so many Americans to be so vociferously in defense of secret police.

https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile/aoc-responds-to-portland-with-legislation-requiring-federal-agents-wear-identifying-markers-at-all-times/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

kowloon wrote: »
    Going to be interesting. Wonder if Birx is going to be there still covering his ass.

She's gonna need a bigger scarf if she has to do that.... :o

From what I am seeing/reading, Debbie seems to be up to her neck in the 'paint a rosy picture' BS that Donnie was trotting out in April/May. When the history of the White House Covid response is written, I don't think she will come out too well from it. That's a pity, as she had a stellar prior history by all accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭amandstu

Overheal wrote: »
    I see daggers are out again for AOC online. Why? The sheer audacity of a Portland inspired Bill that would require federal law enforcement to identify itself, wear badges, etc.

I didn’t expect so many Americans to be so vociferously in defense of secret police.

https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile/aoc-responds-to-portland-with-legislation-requiring-federal-agents-wear-identifying-markers-at-all-times/

Where did you see daggers out for her?( Are they in that link?I didn't see them there)

Yes secret police are terrifying.

amandstu wrote: »
    Where did you see daggers out for her?( Are they in that link?I didn't see them there)

Yes secret police are terrifying.

Comments section, their FB page, regular screed on twitter. Nobody important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,047 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Where's does it end ? Imprisonment to prevent voting rights ? Felons can't vote.

Imprison people in the run up to election so they can't physically be there?

This is actually the type of thinking I'm sure that goes on. This is really really sinister

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,018 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Trump may have walked himself into a cul-de-sac. CNN ran an item earlier this evening to the effect he was wearing a mask and saying it was patriotic to do so. It seems he's tweeted an image of himself wearing his presidential mask saying its patriotic to wear a mask. If he shows up anywhere there are a large group of people not part of his Admin team or W'H staff without wearing a mask, he stands the risk of being called unpatriotic. That would have to include tomorrows covid-19 briefing.

Very much bolting the stable door after the horse has caught coronavirus and transmitted it to everyone at Cheltenham.
    pixelburp wrote: »
    I wonder if the sudden wearing of a mask is a sign the penny dropped about Trump's age. He's scarcely ageing gracefully and something tells me his very public denial meant he couldn't imagine he was in a vulnerable demographic. Notwithstanding his personal quack doctor, presumably the last remaining professionals were begging for him to wear one, for himself if nobody else.

I don't think it's as much about his own age or health given how tightly controlled access to him would be and how regularly they'd all be tested, but just they can't fudge the numbers enough. They know it's going to keep getting worse and worse, and the amount of people following his initial lead of not wearing a mask is going to continue the spread. If he can start convincing even some of his supporters to wear a mask, or at the very least not harrass or mock others for wearing masks, numbers might start levelling off. Damage is already done though, so many have become and will remain completely entrenched in their position.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Christy42

How on control of numbers are they now that hospitals report directly to them?

Could we see numbers made to slide down to magically help his press conferences?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Penn wrote: »
    Very much bolting the stable door after the horse has caught coronavirus and transmitted it to everyone at Cheltenham.

I don't think it's as much about his own age or health given how tightly controlled access to him would be and how regularly they'd all be tested, but just they can't fudge the numbers enough. They know it's going to keep getting worse and worse, and the amount of people following his initial lead of not wearing a mask is going to continue the spread. If he can start convincing even some of his supporters to wear a mask, or at the very least not harrass or mock others for wearing masks, numbers might start levelling off. Damage is already done though, so many have become and will remain completely entrenched in their position.

Except shortly after his tweet and it being Patriotic to wear a mask he was seen out and about in his Washington hotel with Rudi and Lindsay Graham and not a mask in sight.

Leading my example again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Strange for a president to claim that mask wearing is patriotic when he recently declared he wouldn't give the press "the pleasure" of seeing him in one...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-face-mask-coronavirus-picture-ford-factory-michigan-a9527881.html%3famp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,018 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Except shortly after his tweet and it being Patriotic to wear a mask he was seen out and about in his Washington hotel with Rudi and Lindsay Graham and not a mask in sight.

Leading my example again.

In fairness I'd say he spends far more time with Rudi and Lindsey than Don Jr and Eric, so they probably count as family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,513 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Seems like the GOP have been laundering Russian misinformation through Senator Ron Johnson of Wisconsin through the Senate Homeland Security and Foreign Relation committees

https://www.speaker.gov/newsroom/72020-2

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Penn wrote: »
    In fairness I'd say he spends far more time with Rudi and Lindsey than Don Jr and Eric, so they probably count as family.

I've no doubt that they are all tested repeatedly , but that's not the point. It's about setting an example.

Yesterday there were lots of photos of the EU leaders at the summit and they were all wearing masks - Every one of them will have been tested multiple times , so they are not really wearing the masks to protect themselves they are wearing them to send a clear message of leadership to everyone that sees the photo.

The concept of leading by example is utterly lost on Trump.

Any bets on the level of mask wearing on the Dais at his daily Covid briefing this evening or even social distancing.

Guarantee there'll be a crowd of hangers on desperate to be in shot with him so they'll be crammed in like sardines.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,696 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Christy42 wrote: »
    How on control of numbers are they now that hospitals report directly to them?

Could we see numbers made to slide down to magically help his press conferences?

The Wallace interview shows exactly what will happen. Trump openly showed a graph that had manipulated numbers, mortality rate with many countries excluded.

That shows they already manipulate numbers.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    The Wallace interview shows exactly what will happen. Trump openly showed a graph that had manipulated numbers, mortality rate with many countries excluded.

That shows they already manipulate numbers.

The sharpie treatment

The sharpie treatment

And unlike the Wallace interview, Trump can shout down, belittle and ignore anyone who questions the numbers.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    And unlike the Wallace interview, Trump can shout down, belittle and ignore anyone who questions the numbers.

Or just load all the journalist spots with OANN reporters

One thing that amazed me now is how time has flown by in terms of the Covid-19 outbreak in the U.S and the numbers of people it's taken from families there. I remembered 2 days ago how the discussion here was when the figure would move from 65,000 to 70,000 and googled to see the date, thinking it was 5/6 weeks ago, found it was late April. It's now double the second figure. Coincidentally the Daily Mail has a report on how a convent of nuns in Livonia, Michigan lost 13 of it's congregation around that date period to Covid-19, with a larger number ill from it. It's like I'm getting blase or careworn on the import of the virus on people, seeing it almost as a simple matter of figures now, due to how Trump is overshadowing it with his intent to get re-elected regardless of the numbers of his fellow citizens being killed daily by the virus epidemic in his country.

On another issue, the reduction in payroll tax that Trump has said he wants given to the workers if he's to sign the bill both parties are agreeing on, it seems he's getting resistance from Chuck Grassley & other GOP senators on that. Grassley is the GOP chair of the senate finance committee. One thing I noted about Trump's insistence on the payroll tax item and that is the wording he used seems to sign he's likely to waver and give-in at the last second on it. This is following on from a chiding Grassley gave Trump and Fox News over a townhall meeting where Trump couldn't elucidate what he wanted to accomplish in a second term. 1st link - the payroll tax, 2nd link, the townhall meeting rebuke.

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/508164-top-gop-chairman-warns-against-payroll-tax-cut-in-next-coronavirus-bill

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/grassley-knocks-trump-fox-news-over-town-hall-answer/ar-BB162M1W

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

listermint wrote: »
    Where's does it end ? Imprisonment to prevent voting rights ? Felons can't vote.

Imprison people in the run up to election so they can't physically be there?

This is actually the type of thinking I'm sure that goes on. This is really really sinister

Whatever the Putin regime does in Russia. That.

Also, it creates quite the quandary for all those that were previously claiming that wearing a mask was an infringement on their freedom.

Do you stick with freedom, or are you a patriot. According to POTUS, you can no longer be both!

So you are one of those that were on YT throwing groceries around, or calling people names when you weren't allowed into Walmart because you were standing up for Freedom and America do you just put a US Flag mask on now and say that anyone who doesn't hates the military or hates America or, their favorite line, if they don't like it move somewhere else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,675 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Surely the sending in of federal enforcement officers, against the wishes of the city Mayors, is totally in breach of the Constitution? He is misusing the Emergency Powers Act to blatantly score political points. The Democrats will have a great deal of work to do readjusting the powers of the President and closing loopholes when they get in. At least one would hope they have the sense, and the ability to do it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement