Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Seems to have already been removed from the Google Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/search?q=parler

ErQCs1JXEAMja0A?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Blowfish wrote: »
    Seems to have already been removed from the Google Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/search?q=parler

Apple will have gotten rid of them before the morning I'd wager.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The "free speech" contrarians will be out in force then. Not like "big tech" isn't already in the firing lines with US conservatives convinced of a liberal bias, so I guess why be coy, may as well drop toxic apps like Parler. Nothing of value will be lost though one wonders where these types will end up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,801 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

That is huge for Trump to be off Twitter.

That was his bully pulpit.

Serious damage to any notions of standing again and getting the exposure he craves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Reddit has also banned r/donaldtrump. This is turning into a widescale de-platforming across multiple companies and platforms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,047 ✭✭✭✭listermint

pixelburp wrote: »
    The "free speech" contrarians will be out in force then. Not like "big tech" isn't already in the firing lines with US conservatives convinced of a liberal bias, so I guess why be coy, may as well drop toxic apps like Parler. Nothing of value will be lost though one wonders where these types will end up now.

The some will go back to where the were. The majority back to where they were oddities at garden parties.

It was the ease of racism access that the mainstream tech companies allowed go on for the last six years caused alot of this. Racism , toxicity, negativity , misinformation and lies. Far too easy on large platforms. Without it , it would have never happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,810 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

If any of the reports of further plans by the insurrectionists to attack the Capitol a second time are to be given seriously [and not meaning to sound like a conspiracy buff] I might be minded to look at Trumps statement that he will not be present at the inauguration of his successor in a different light, however disturbing that is to people.

The finding of the truck owned by one of the arrested insurrectionists in Washington by police containing glass jars filled with jellified petrol [napalm-ist] a pistol and an AR 15 in it yesterday shows a capability outside that of the average peaceful protestor at a peaceful protest. Some months back, Trump defined his rallies as "peaceful protests".

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Psychedelic Hedgehog

aloyisious wrote: »
    If any of the reports of further plans by the insurrectionists to attack the Capitol a second time are to be given seriously [and not meaning to sound like a conspiracy buff] I might be minded to look at Trumps statement that he will not be present at the inauguration of his successor in a different light, however disturbing that is to people.

According to Twitter's blog, that was one of the factors involved in suspending him tonight.

https://blog.twitter.com/en_us/topics/company/2020/suspension.html

Bannon podcast banned by youtube. Parler banned by Google.

Concerted action to de-platform Trump and associates.

Trump just tried to tweet on president twitter account. Twitter deleted it.

https://twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1347713459874627588

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,047 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Literally tearing each other apart. Great to see.

He wants social media companies protections removed. Meaning more moderation.

Excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,132 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

According to Twitter's blog, that was one of the factors involved in suspending him tonight.

https://blog.twitter.com/en_us/topics/company/2020/suspension.html

Nah.

Ignore the spin from Jack, Zuck etc, what sped this up was the GOP losing the senate. They knew without Mitch playing defense they were in trouble so they have tried to get out in front of it quick as possible.

Wednesday was a factor but Loeffer and Perdue losing would have really set the alarm off for tech.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭8mv

Michael Flynn has had his account suspended also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,110 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Years of weaponized disinformation on multiple platforms culminating in a mob, incited by a US president, attacking Congress. Deplatforming is long overdue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,810 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Seriously? This just a few hours after Trumps supporters were trying to get at him physically while calling him a traitor to Trump! Sometimes I forget how fast LG can change sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

8mv wrote: »
    Michael Flynn has had his account suspended also

Has it ? I’m gutted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭fash

Trump must have known how volatile this mob was. How he thought it was ok to encourage them in the way he did is unforgivable.
    Actually given the steps in the background taken by Trump to hamstring a state police/military response - which would allow the mob to run amok and potentially kidnap and kill politicians at the Capitol facilitating a Trump overthrow, it's very possible that the outcome just didn't quite go far enough from trump's perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Years of weaponized disinformation on multiple platforms culminating in a mob, incited by a US president, attacking Congress. Deplatforming is long overdue.

Yeah it's long overdue and something that I'm really enjoying seeing. Every one of these bullshít spouting, delusional conspiracy theory idiots being thrown off the internet and even the Republican Party being forced to recon with the monster they created.

What happened on the 6th was a shameful day for America, at least despite all that's happen were FINALLY seeing a concerted effort to purge this dense stupidity and all it's idiotic supporters from every major platform.

If anything the sight of not only Trump being impeached but his enablers brought low as well is truly a glorious sight IMO and nothing better than seeing Karmic Vengence and the strong feeling of schadenfreude as the bull**** they spewed finally sucks them into oblivion never to be seen again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,834 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Bannon podcast banned by youtube. Parler banned by Google.

Concerted action to de-platform Trump and associates.

Good. There was an equally concerted effort to overthrow the continuity of the United States government.

Exchange the term "MAGA" with "The American Communist Party," and what you saw yesterday would be seen exactly for what it is.

*Banned by google's playstore, not removed from Google's engine. Not blocked by Chrome. Etc. - Alphabet seems incredibly aware of its antitrust liabilities and civil obligations.

Texts uncovered about terror cell's plans and organization prior to the siege. Confirms what the majority of us have been saying about their intentions to kidnap and almost certainly kill.

ErQqNLFXYAMDlD3?format=jpg&name=medium

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Scot_in_Dublin

As an aside for all going on, I just saw Don Jr has spun up a website that of course is asking for money. Now, as part of that he is showing all of the logos of the big card companies. Visa, Mastercard, AMEX, Discovery etc. In a previous life I had the job of getting PCI compliance for a website. That s*it is not easy. Do folks think these companies are aware their payment processing systems are being used for these kind of things?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I didnt think they would try to impeach him but if they do he cant run again in 4 years so I think they will

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I didnt think they would try to impeach him but if they do he cant run again in 4 years so I think they will

He’d also lose all perks of being an ex president. And that’s quite the list, not least of all his SS protection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭circadian

Great, leave him exposed although he is also a flight risk. Iftthings are going south he'll be on the first flight to Russia, Turkey or wherever will have him. I'd say that list is shrinking quickly too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,817 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Trump is done in terms of running for office at any point in the future.

He is too old, too selfish, surrounds himself with people who generate negative headlines and is a money pit. Without the 60M people the GOP handed to him, he is is nothing, and at least 50M of them are card carrying members and aren't going anywhere.

It is important to seek to impeach Trump for what he has done but the more significant outcome of this point, or maybe the more impactful might be more accurate will be to determine where Republican Senators truly stand on his behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭embraer170

The Democrats would love to see him try to run in 4 years. He would do a great job at splitting the Republican vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

fash wrote: »
    Actually given the steps in the background taken by Trump to hamstring a state police/military response - which would allow the mob to run amok and potentially kidnap and kill politicians at the Capitol facilitating a Trump overthrow, it's very possible that the outcome just didn't quite go far enough from trump's perspective.
    What the Maryland Governor said about the length of time it took the General in charge of their National Guard to get clearance to enter DC is pretty damning. It took ninety minutes, constant calls while they were getting frantic calls from the Capitol from Chuck Schumer and others to get in there quickly. And eventually they got a call out of the blue and not via the normal channels to go in. Remember Trump did a cull of top people at the Pentagon a couple of months ago? This duck sure looks like a duck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭abff

Yes, it does say something. It says that Trump is far more dangerous than the Ayatollah.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭fash

There are other good reasons to impeach.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's great to see Trump deplatformed but equally the cynic in me curls his lip at how this should have been done years ago. The tech companies conveniently finding their spine mere days before Trump loses the presidency. The blowback as low as it could be. Not like he didn't give plenty ammunition in those dying days but equally my applause for Twitter isn't going to be fullsome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Remember how Trump put in a bunch of lickspittles to run the DoD recently? Well, among other things, they dragged their heels on DC National Guard readiness. Further, the lines of command were blurry, apparently the DoD got its authorizations from Pence. Where was Trump?

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/01/06/politics/pence-national-guard/index.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement