Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,696 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

No, no you see you fail to understand. States are totally free to make whatever choices they like, and anything ever wrong in a state has nothing at all to do with POTUS and people should blame the governor.

Except where Trump does step in and does something, then that is perfectly fine and reasonable as he is the POTUS and has the final say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

duploelabs wrote: »
    Seems like the GOP have been laundering Russian misinformation through Senator Ron Johnson of Wisconsin through the Senate Homeland Security and Foreign Relation committees

https://www.speaker.gov/newsroom/72020-2

Umm...is that the right link? No mention of Ron Johnson there, however this link https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/20/us/politics/congress-disinformation-biden-russia-ukraine.html has more details about the esteemed Mr. Johnson, Russian disinformation and the 2020 election. Unfortunately the link is paywalled.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,154 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

looksee wrote: »
    Surely the sending in of federal enforcement officers, against the wishes of the city Mayors, is totally in breach of the Constitution? He is misusing the Emergency Powers Act to blatantly score political points. The Democrats will have a great deal of work to do readjusting the powers of the President and closing loopholes when they get in. At least one would hope they have the sense, and the ability to do it.

The federal government can send in enforcement officers to protect federal buildings so it is hard to kick them out of the area completely. The guys they sent in however have reached far beyond that by kidnapping protesters.

As usual, the Trump administration has just made things worse for itself. Since they started their aggressive actions the protests have multiplied. Over 2000 out there last night.

Funniest thing is watching 'I need my guns to fight a tyrannical government' 2nd amendment advocates bootlick Trump over the actions of these guys, once again showing how disingenuous their arguments have always been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,834 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Overheal wrote: »
    Comments section, their FB page, regular screed on twitter. Nobody important.

Eh, that’s no longer true anymore. She was called a “fcuking bitch” in front of reporters by a GOP congressman over this matter :eek:

https://www.mediaite.com/politics/gop-congressman-calls-aoc-a-****ing-btch-and-disgusting-in-front-of-reporters-during-argument-over-bill/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,047 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Eh, that’s no longer true anymore. She was called a “fcuking bitch” in front of reporters by a GOP congressman over this matter :eek:

https://www.mediaite.com/politics/gop-congressman-calls-aoc-a-****ing-btch-and-disgusting-in-front-of-reporters-during-argument-over-bill/

link broken / gone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,203 ✭✭✭maximoose

listermint wrote: »
    link broken / gone

Boards has starred the swear word - change the stars and it works

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Foxtrol wrote: »
    The federal government can send in enforcement officers to protect federal buildings so it is hard to kick them out of the area completely. The guys they sent in however have reached far beyond that by kidnapping protesters.

As usual, the Trump administration has just made things worse for itself. Since they started their aggressive actions the protests have multiplied. Over 2000 out there last night.

Funniest thing is watching 'I need my guns to fight a tyrannical government' 2nd amendment advocates bootlick Trump over the actions of these guys, once again showing how disingenuous their arguments have always been.

But that's exactly what he wants - He's is deliberately trying to provoke confrontations so that he can shout "See , I told you, ANTIFA and the Dems are trying to steal our country!!!!!"

It's his final throw of the dice on the Election - Try to terrify enough people into thinking that only he can save them from the Antifa hoards coming to burn down their houses and murder their babies

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    But that's exactly what he wants - He's is deliberately trying to provoke confrontations so that he can shout "See , I told you, ANTIFA and the Dems are trying to steal our country!!!!!"

It's his final throw of the dice on the Election - Try to terrify enough people into thinking that only he can save them from the Antifa hoards coming to burn down their houses and murder their babies

I disagree, but if it is what he wants then it shows how stupid he and his advisors are. You need to do incredible mental gymnastics to say 'the reason why we need another 4 years of Trump is to protect us because everything he does makes things worse'. His core will go there but that is about it.

It would work on a wider audience if he was the challenger but he is the one in power. His campaign are releasing videos of 'violence' that is happening under his watch that he is failing to stop, not under Obama/Biden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,811 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Pure terror tactics right out of the manual of dirty tricks.

Can the City Admin/Local Police Dept decline to provide facilities/services to the intruding force, even barrier off the areas [say 500 yards away] around the federal buildings keeping its citizens and deny city ground space to the intrusive force, limit their area of operation ground-space to inside the barriered-off zone by way of a State or Cook County judge's order?. With the facilities already available within the federal buildings: toilets, feeding, water, changing room, the actual city ground space the "troops" would need to secure the buildings can be kept to a minimum by the city with barriered-off restricted zones.

It's not as if the city has requested Trump to provide "troops" on the ground.

• Advertisement

I see Tucker all but begged his fans to dox a NYT reporter over a story they’ve never even run: he claims they were going to run a piece revealing where he lives, when on a big rant about how the NYT wants to kill him, bla bla bla - he basically went on to suggest doxing is Terrorism and then immediately proceeded to publicly name the journalist that he is paranoid will run a story about him along with veiled threats that he could easily go farther than that:

“They hate my politics. They want this show off the air,” Carlson told his millions of viewers Monday. “If one of my children gets hurt because of a story they wrote, they won’t consider it collateral damage. They know it’s the whole point of the exercise: to inflict pain on our family, to terrorize us, to control what we say. That’s the kind of people they are.”

[...] “But the New York Times followed us,” he said. “Their story about where we live is slated to run in the paper this week. Editors there know exactly what will happen to my family when it does run.”

He identified the reporter behind the story as Murray Carpenter, airing his photo and calling the freelance writer a “political activist.” Carpenter’s website states that he focuses on science and environmental stories, and has written for the Times, The Post and National Geographic, among other outlets.

Carlson also mentioned photographer Tristan Spinski and the Times’s media editor Jim Windolf by name.

“How would Murray Carpenter and his photographer, Tristan Spinski, feel if we told you where they live, if we put pictures of their homes on the air?” Carlson asked. “What if we published the home address of every one of the soulless, robot editors at the New York Times, who assigned and managed this incitement of violence against my family?"

He added: “We could do that. We know who they are.”

Yes. ‘Doxing is Terrorism, let me do some of my own’

[url] https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/07/21/tucker-carlson-new-york-times/[/url]
    aloyisious wrote: »

Can the City Admin/Local Police Dept decline to provide facilities/services to the intruding force, even barrier off the areas [say 500 yards away] around the federal buildings keeping its citizens and deny city ground space to the intrusive force, limit their area of operation ground-space to inside the barriered-off zone by way of a State or Cook County judge's order?.

500 yards around a federal building is a lot of city to give up just to bay off federal agents. They aren’t build out in a grassy field.

Speaking of on-line sites moderating speech and correcting misleading posts, I like the rub in F/B's latest labelling work on Trump's posts. He wrote about "mail-in voting leading to the most corrupt election in our country's history! #riggedelection. The F/B label reads "get official voting info on how to vote in the 2020 US Election" by going to usa.gov."

I see Tucker all but begged his fans to dox a NYT reporter over a story they’ve never even run: he claims they were going to run a piece revealing where he lives, when on a big rant about how the NYT wants to kill him, bla bla bla - he basically went on to suggest doxing is Terrorism and then immediately proceeded to publicly name the journalist that he is paranoid will run a story about him along with veiled threats that he could easily go farther than that:

“They hate my politics. They want this show off the air,” Carlson told his millions of viewers Monday. “If one of my children gets hurt because of a story they wrote, they won’t consider it collateral damage. They know it’s the whole point of the exercise: to inflict pain on our family, to terrorize us, to control what we say. That’s the kind of people they are.”

[...] “But the New York Times followed us,” he said. “Their story about where we live is slated to run in the paper this week. Editors there know exactly what will happen to my family when it does run.”

He identified the reporter behind the story as Murray Carpenter, airing his photo and calling the freelance writer a “political activist.” Carpenter’s website states that he focuses on science and environmental stories, and has written for the Times, The Post and National Geographic, among other outlets.

Carlson also mentioned photographer Tristan Spinski and the Times’s media editor Jim Windolf by name.

“How would Murray Carpenter and his photographer, Tristan Spinski, feel if we told you where they live, if we put pictures of their homes on the air?” Carlson asked. “What if we published the home address of every one of the soulless, robot editors at the New York Times, who assigned and managed this incitement of violence against my family?"

[url] https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/07/21/tucker-carlson-new-york-times/[/url]

500 yards around a federal building is a lot of city to give up just to bay off federal agents. They aren’t build out in a grassy field.

Get that, 100 hundred foot would probably be more pertinent with routes in for Federal employees and cleared visitors.

Speaking of on-line sites moderating speech and correcting misleading posts, I like the rub in F/B's latest labelling work on Trump's posts. He wrote about "mail-in voting leading to the most corrupt election in our country's history! #riggedelection. The F/B label reads "get official voting info on how to vote in the 2020 US Election" by going to usa.gov."

But don’t go as far as to label is post with that greywashing “false/misleading” filter they do on a great deal of others.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

A bit of deflection from Tucker last night.

Fox News and hosts sued in sexual harassment suit
    Two women accused male Fox News hosts of sexual harassment and, in one woman's case, rape, in a lawsuit filed on Monday in federal court in New York.

Ed Henry, who was fired as a host earlier this month, was accused of sexual harassment and rape in the suit, while hosts Sean Hannity, Tucker Carlson and Howard Kurtz were alleged to have separately behaved in a sexually inappropriate way. Jennifer Eckhart, a former producer, accused Henry of rape and threatening retaliation for refusing his advances. Cathy Areu, a reporter often invited on the network, accused Henry, Hannity, Carlson and Kurtz of sexual harassment and gender discrimination.
    Areu also accused Hannity and Carlson of professional retaliation for refusing misogynistic behavior. Hannity offered $100 for a member of staff to go on a date with her, which she described as a humiliating incident, and she was hardly ever invited back on his show after she refused to play along, the suit said. Areu said Carlson implicitly invited her back to his hotel room for sex in 2018 and refused to have her on his show after she turned down his advances. Areu also accused Kurtz and Fox News analyst Gianno Caldwell in her suit of conditioning professional developmental opportunities on sexual or romantic favors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Can the City Admin/Local Police Dept decline to provide facilities/services to the intruding force, even barrier off the areas [say 500 yards away] around the federal buildings keeping its citizens and deny city ground space to the intrusive force, limit their area of operation ground-space to inside the barriered-off zone by way of a State or Cook County judge's order?. With the facilities already available within the federal buildings: toilets, feeding, water, changing room, the actual city ground space the "troops" would need to secure the buildings can be kept to a minimum by the city with barriered-off restricted zones.

There's mounting evidence that the federal goon squads were 'invited' in by the police union, who argue that the local Mayor and politicians are 'sucking up' to protesters with commitments to measures that would ''defund' aspects of police operations.

Some of these Police union leaders are to the right of Atilla The Hun when it comes to policing and would be apoplectic over recent Defund commitments made by Democratic politicians as well as what they see as unfair treatment of the likes of Derek Chauvin who was 'only doing his job'. The guy in charge of an NYPD union recently gave an interview on Fox with a Q-Anon mug behind his head in his office, which says a lot about how his gears mesh....

I bet he didn't raise that on his show last night and neither did Hannity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,668 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Trumps briefing starts at 10pm Irish time tonight/5pm EDT. Will be interesting to see how it goes and if he uses it to attack Biden. Im presuming Fauci wont be there.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/live/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Instead, he has white middle aged women protesting as a "wall of moms" now, tear gassed on TV. Great optics!

https://www.msnbc.com/andrea-mitchell-reports/watch/-wall-of-moms-shields-protesters-from-federal-agents-in-portland-88006213692

Not to mention the navy vet that his secret police beat up in Portland. He says he approached them to ask them if what they felt what they were doing was constitutional...

https://apnews.com/4c521336d47c25d76d18000a3ea04511

He put on a sweatshirt with “Navy” emblazoned across the chest and a Navy ballcap, figuring the federal officers would be, like him, a military veteran. He figured they’d listen as he reminded them “that you take the oath to the Constitution; you don’t take the oath to a particular person.”

“What they were doing was unconstitutional,” David said. ”Sometimes I worry that people take the oath of office or the oath to the Constitution, and it’s just a set of words that mean nothing. They really don’t feel in their heart the weight of those words.”

There was no talking. The federal officers, in full tactical gear, came charging out of the federal building.

“They came out in this phalanx, running, and then they plowed into a bunch of protesters in the intersection of the street and knocked them over. They came out to fight,” David said. One officer pointed a semi-automatic weapon at David’s chest, he said, and video shows another shoving him backwards as he tried to talk with the officers.

“I took a couple steps back, straightened up, and then just stood my ground right there, arms down by my side,” David recalled.

One officer began whacking at David with the baton. When he doesn’t fall or even flinch, another officer sprays him full in the face. David then retreats a few steps while making an obscene gesture.

“They are thugs and goons,” David said. “I couldn’t recognize anything tactically that they were attempting to do that was even remotely related to crowd control. It looked to me like a gang of guys with sticks.”

David will need reconstructive surgery with pins and plates on his ring finger that was shattered. A bone in his hand was also broken.

• Advertisement

strandroad wrote: »
    Instead, he has white middle aged women protesting as a "wall of moms" now, tear gassed on TV. Great optics!

https://www.msnbc.com/andrea-mitchell-reports/watch/-wall-of-moms-shields-protesters-from-federal-agents-in-portland-88006213692

Better link on that

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8543553/Portland-mothers-form-Wall-Moms-tear-gassed-federal-officers.html?fbclid=IwAR2hGANM3JDJQRuln6cBPPhF6kqwMfo2M7fVZNwjcJl8MBcg0CTszbIDgME

Trumps effort to sweep up protesters on the street well and truly backfired in Oregon. Goodness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

The photos here tell quite a story alright. 3 days of white moms, dads, grandmas and gramps out now in their hundreds. Fair play to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Folks!

Just when I thought this shítshow couldn't get any crazier!

Louisiana which coincidentally was one of the 1st hotspots for Covid back in March/April.
    Is now entering 3 days of fasting and prayer on the request of spiritual leaders!
    https://www.newsweek.com/louisiana-governor-begins-three-days-fasting-prayer-state-during-coronavirus-spike-1519110

The state is experiencing a surge of cases due to a ridiculous reopening strategy, and now they want to pray it away!

Absolutely nonsensical approach to public health and people's safety.

strandroad wrote: »
    The photos here tell quite a story alright. 3 days of white moms, dads, grandmas and gramps out now in their hundreds. Fair play to them.

The protests have been going for 50+ days at this point, Trump just revitalised them the last few days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

banie01 wrote: »
    Folks!

Just when I thought this shítshow couldn't get any crazier!

Louisiana which coincidentally was one of the 1st hotspots for Covid back in March/April.
    Is now entering 3 days of fasting and prayer on the request of spiritual leaders!
    https://www.newsweek.com/louisiana-governor-begins-three-days-fasting-prayer-state-during-coronavirus-spike-1519110

The state is experiencing a surge of cases due to a ridiculous reopening strategy, and now they want to pray it away!

Absolutely nonsensical approach to public health and people's safety.

America is an extremely religious country.

This madness isn't surprising.

Only during his lunch hour? That's not fasting that's tightening your wallet.

More on the AOC/Yoho spat this morning:

“When I pass other members on the steps, regardless of party, I usually nod or say hello if I’m able. Out of nowhere, Yoho comes up to me and puts his finger in my face and flies off in a rage. He started going off about shootings and bread and nonsense, calling me crazy, shameful, out of my mind, etc.

“At first I tried to talk to him, but that just made him yell over me more,” she continued. “Williams then started joining in, yelling things at me and said something about throwing urine — I don’t know what that was about. I said he was being rude and that this was unbelievable and started to walk away. He said, ‘I’M RUDE? You’re calling ME rude?!’ And I just kept walking to my vote.” - AOC

She also says she followed up with him since then, only for him double down on his sentiment:

“I actually confronted him later that day about what he did and he doubled down, yelling at me again for a second time later in the afternoon.”

https://www.mediaite.com/news/new-aoc-says-yoho-yelled-at-her-again-hours-after-confrontation-that-somehow-involved-urine/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

More on the AOC/Yoho spat this morning:

“When I pass other members on the steps, regardless of party, I usually nod or say hello if I’m able. Out of nowhere, Yoho comes up to me and puts his finger in my face and flies off in a rage. He started going off about shootings and bread and nonsense, calling me crazy, shameful, out of my mind, etc.

“At first I tried to talk to him, but that just made him yell over me more,” she continued. “Williams then started joining in, yelling things at me and said something about throwing urine — I don’t know what that was about. I said he was being rude and that this was unbelievable and started to walk away. He said, ‘I’M RUDE? You’re calling ME rude?!’ And I just kept walking to my vote.” - AOC

She also says she followed up with him since then, only for him double down on his sentiment:

“I actually confronted him later that day about what he did and he doubled down, yelling at me again for a second time later in the afternoon.”

https://www.mediaite.com/news/new-aoc-says-yoho-yelled-at-her-again-hours-after-confrontation-that-somehow-involved-urine/

Jesus they sound absolutely pathetic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,047 ✭✭✭✭listermint

VinLieger wrote: »
    Jesus they sound absolutely pathetic

Party of decency and family values..... Etc etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

listermint wrote: »
    Party of decency and family values..... Etc etc etc

She literally epitomises the american dream of starting from nothing to become a congresswoman yet one of the insults they like throwing at her is that she was a bartender. It still baffles me their levels of cognitive dissonance.

Also they are just pathetically fragile old white racist men.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement