Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭circadian

Deutsche Bank is potentially big. If he can't refinance his debts they could decide to play hard ball and foreclose on his business empire.

Yeah I'm surprised by that one considering that DB is most likely complicit in some of his schemes. They must have seen this as an out for that relationship, in terms of finance he's screwed. In terms of an investigation into his finances he's double screwed. I'd say DB would cut a deal for information now he's out of the picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,511 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Has she even been invited? Why would she be, she's just her daddies lackey, hopefully Biden tells her to fùck off and that she's not welcome.

Well it puts done to the talk of the far right that Trump saying that he wasn't going to attend the inauguration as a dog whistle for an assassination attempt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,198 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Nody wrote: »
    DB will not foreclose it; DB will sell on his loans as most banks do with loan portfolios they don't want to recoup money. However and that could make it very interesting depending on who buys it. A vulture fund could make a healthy profit on pushing his businesses into bankruptcy and buy them cheap for example; or an anonymous Russian company may end up buying it all (if they think they can still use him for destabilizing USA further).

This is one of the big reasons they need to impeach him to stop his intel briefings as he could become even more compromised than he currently is.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭hirondelle

DB will not foreclose it; DB will sell on his loans as most banks do with loan portfolios they don't want to recoup money. However and that could make it very interesting depending on who buys it. A vulture fund could make a healthy profit on pushing his businesses into bankruptcy and buy them cheap for example; or an anonymous Russian company may end up buying it all (if they think they can still use him for destabilizing USA further).

I recall reading that a significant part of his business was renting out the Trump "brand"- literally attaching the name to the golf/leisure resort in many cases. That part of the business must surely be finished (although some Gulf state developments might still see it as attractive for the demagogue/oligarch sector of the tourist market!).

He must surely be terrified (deep down) at the thoughts of who might own his debts. That recently grifted €250 million may not go a long way after all. The financial stuff is possibly the best chance of him moving away from politics- if only as he will have to spend most of his time financially firefighting. I don't expect him to stop stirring the sh*t, but maybe this means it won't be as pervasive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

They don't want unity, they want to get away with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Deutsche Bank is potentially big. If he can't refinance his debts they could decide to play hard ball and foreclose on his business empire.

The first 100 days of Trump being out of office "he's going to go through some things" he's going to be busy :cool::cool::cool:

I think now the wall has broken, he has no platform to spew trash, lies and garbage and take peoples eye off the ball. A lot of chits are going to be called in so I foresee him being bankrupted again.

The likes of the SDNY and a lot of state persecutors are just chomping at the bit to have a cut off him. Expect a flurry of indictments and investigations. The federal charges I will and see what happens over the next week to see if he pardons himself.

I want to see repercussions for all his enablers as well especially Cruz et al, there has to be accountability for all the lies.

The whole Jan 6th insurrection sealed his fate because if people were angry with him before they are absolutely apoplectic with anger with him now. They will show no mercy...as they shouldn't as people have died.

He really is a stupid person, he could have gone next Wednesday with a small fuss and then spend the next ten years on twitter hurling from the ditch saying how incompetent the next POTUS is and he would have done it this way and spend his life on Fox news.

But now he is a nobody with no platform to spew his **** (and this was his only skill) so hes a nobody now and for a narcissist this if anything must be killing him.

The next year is going to be fun all the crap he is going to get caught up in and not being able to spin his BS about it.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    The first 100 days of Trump being out of office "he's going to go through some things" he's going to be busy :cool::cool::cool:

I think now the wall has broken, he has no platform to spew trash, lies and garbage and take peoples eye off the ball. A lot of chits are going to be called in so I foresee him being bankrupted again.

The likes of the SDNY and a lot of state persecutors are just chomping at the bit to have a cut off him. Expect a flurry of indictments and investigations. The federal charges I will and see what happens over the next week to see if he pardons himself.

I want to see repercussions for all his enablers as well especially Cruz et al, there has to be accountability for all the lies.

The whole Jan 6th insurrection sealed his fate because if people were angry with him before they are absolutely apoplectic with anger with him now. They will show no mercy...as they shouldn't as people have died.

He really is a stupid person, he could have gone next Wednesday with a small fuss and then spend the next ten years on twitter hurling from the ditch saying how incompetent the next POTUS is and he would have done it this way and spend his life on Fox news.

But now he is a nobody with no platform to spew his **** (and this was his only skill) so hes a nobody now and for a narcissist this if anything must be killing him.

The next year is going to be fun all the crap he is going to get caught up in and not being able to spin his BS about it.
    I'm strongly of the belief (strength being directly proportional to the desperation he's shown to stay in office) that he is terrified of what will happen to him once he's outside the safety of the White House.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

DB will not foreclose it; DB will sell on his loans as most banks do with loan portfolios they don't want to recoup money.

Apparently they have been seeking a buyer for 4 years; with nobody interested.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

L1011 wrote: »
    Apparently they have been seeking a buyer for 4 years; with nobody interested.
    The problem has been the question if they could take a sitting president to court; with that going away...

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Windmill100000

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I'm strongly of the belief (strength being directly proportional to the desperation he's shown to stay in office) that he is terrified of what will happen to him once he's outside the safety of the White House.

I agree, I also think he's very concerned about what they will uncover. He's dodgy as f*ck. When he no longer has any power we are going to see people coming out of the woodwork to talk about him and I don't think it will be good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Yep - He KNOWS they have him bang to rights , certainly in New York over the dodgy property deals etc. and likely several others.

He was desperate to stay in office to try to ride out the statute of limitations (or just hoping they'd get bored waiting).

He is going to get absolutely drowned in litigation as soon as he leaves office.

In terms of Pardons relating to his business dealings, he either pardons everybody or he pardons no one.

If he doesn't give a "self-pardon" he can't give a pardon to the kids as they'd be called to testify against him and couldn't refuse.

And the problem is that a "self-pardon" simply won't hold up - SCOTUS will knock it back.

Before last week Id' have said the chances of Federal charges being brought to challenge a pardon were slim.

But now? - All bets are off , if he's not impeached they will absolutely go after him at the federal level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

When I read that Pence was meeting Trump for the first time since his coup attempt I imagined trump saying nothing but handing him an envelope with some Russian writing. Pence leaving the office, no words spoken between the men but him then coming out strongly against impeachment.

This sounds like a crazy conspiracy but Trump has torn up what can reasonably be expected from a president. He’s a gift that keeps on giving to all major USA rivals, it would be crazy to dismiss the possibility that they might be helping him in some way. That’s kind of what I also thought when I saw Sen Graham patheticly reaching out to defend Trump, asking Biden for an olive branch! Ironic when you think about how many times the US tries to influence “freedom” in many countries around the world

Quin_Dub wrote: »

If he doesn't give a "self-pardon" he can't give a pardon to the kids as they'd be called to testify against him and couldn't refuse.
    You also can't plead the fifth if you've been pardoned. For obvious reasons. That's a bit of a double-edged sword for him.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

This article also covers the risks he still faces even if a self pardon was to hold up..
    In the wake of Wednesday's assault on the nation's Capitol, President Donald Trump has been advised he potentially could face civil liability connected to his role in encouraging supporters who went on to storm Congress, sources familiar with the conversations told ABC News.

"Think O.J.," an adviser explained it to Trump, according to one source. It was a reference to O.J. Simpson, who was found not guilty of murdering his ex-wife and a friend but later faced stiff civil damages after being sued by his ex-wife's family.

And more interestingly , he's clearly beginning to think about the "big picture" in relation to those pardons
    As ABC News previously reported, sources tell ABC News White House Counsel Pat Cipollone advised the president that he could face legal jeopardy for encouraging his supporters to storm the Capitol building, according to sources familiar with their discussions.

After these conversations, sources say the president grew angrier, and the entire pardon process has been described as "on hold" -- meaning others who have been lobbying the president for pardons, including his personal attorney Rudy Giuliani, may not receive one.

Anyone pardoned could be called as a witness in a civil case too..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,602 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

They don't want unity, they want to get away with it.

Exactly, they have the perfect opportunity to "unify" both parties behind the condemnation of the presidents actions...but I guess unify only works if it's doing what they want

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

The problem has been the question if they could take a sitting president to court; with that going away...

And I'd believe that this is a huge motivation for Trump's behaviour.
    He may be staring down the barrel of the Deuteche Bank foreclosure shotgun without the protection of his office.

Call me Al wrote: »
    And I'd believe that this is a huge motivation for Trump's behaviour.
    He may be staring down the barrel of the Deuteche Bank foreclosure shotgun without the protection of his office.

Exactly - DB have had to hold on to his debt for the last 4 years as no one would touch it.

Now though , an asset stripper will happily buy it off them for a reasonable price and they will then promptly rip the whole thing up for spare parts.

Not only has Trump lost the Presidency , he's also about to lose his "empire"

This article also covers the risks he still faces even if a self pardon was to hold up..

And more interestingly , he's clearly beginning to think about the "big picture" in relation to those pardons

Anyone pardoned could be called as a witness in a civil case too..
    Yeah. Accepting a pardon is an admission of guilt as Gerald Ford said. So should he pardon himself, he's leaving himself open to civil cases from anyone affected by the insurrection on Wednesday. Apparently he's in a sulk about it and reports say that he's saying that if he can't have one, nobody else can either. A lot of nervous Trump kids ensuing I'd imagine. And Rudy of course; who I suspect has been pedal to the metal in illegality in the mistaken belief that he'll get one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,808 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

That sounds extremely sensible for the bank. No court battles, it closes their Trump loan books with a loss which it's seen coming for years now. It'll be a good start for the year for it. The vultures shredding up his empire will destroy family links depending on his income and benefits.

I don't know how much of a link DB has with the German state but the U.S insurrection bid must have brought back memories to Germans of their past history of putsches. The Govt may have guided the DB announcement seeing it as a chance of a good start to the year as well for the relationship with official Washington after the Trump era, tie up loose ends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

You also can't plead the fifth if you've been pardoned. For obvious reasons. That's a bit of a double-edged sword for him.

I think he has that covered, he'd simply lie through his teeth.

• Advertisement

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I think he has that covered, he'd simply lie through his teeth.
    That carries its own penalties. Straight to jail for contempt and then a charge of perjury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,132 ✭✭✭✭briany

Yep - He KNOWS they have him bang to rights , certainly in New York over the dodgy property deals etc. and likely several others.

He was desperate to stay in office to try to ride out the statute of limitations (or just hoping they'd get bored waiting).

He is going to get absolutely drowned in litigation as soon as he leaves office.

Pretty high stakes gambit from Trump to become president in order to duck some charges and some debts. Why not just feck off to Dubai?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

briany wrote: »
    Pretty high stakes gambit from Trump to become president in order to duck some charges and some debts. Why not just feck off to Dubai? Moscow

Fixed that for you...

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

Yeah. Accepting a pardon is an admission of guilt as Gerald Ford said. So should he pardon himself, he's leaving himself open to civil cases from anyone affected by the insurrection on Wednesday. Apparently he's in a sulk about it and reports say that he's saying that if he can't have one, nobody else can either. A lot of nervous Trump kids ensuing I'd imagine. And Rudy of course; who I suspect has been pedal to the metal in illegality in the mistaken belief that he'll get one.

If nothing else the comments from Gabriel Stirling from Georgia last week about the use of the edited Video to try to allege fraud when they had the full video available to them surely opens him up to perjury or something of that nature?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Why not just feck off to Dubai?

Trump hates to travel, he said even the White House was a dump when he had to move there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,511 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Trump hates to travel, he said even the White House was a dump when he had to move there.

That's because trump thinks this is good interior design

u3akp89idte51.jpg

Pretty high stakes gambit from Trump to become president in order to duck some charges and some debts. Why not just feck off to Dubai?
    A lot of stuff has only come to light recently. The law catching up with Jeffrey Epstein and (although he's now dead) Ghislaine Maxwell also seems to know where all the bodies are buried. Thats just for starters. There's every chance he's done lots of shady stuff since becoming president too. It was only a vanity project for him back in 2015, it's a bit more serious now.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Windmill100000

So now he is saying the witch hunt continues. That is his get-out clause for him and all his deluded followers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

duploelabs wrote: »
    That's because trump thinks this is good interior design

u3akp89idte51.jpg

Like I've said before, Trump's the poor man's idea of a rich man. Ye Gods. That's horrendous decor really; if you didn't know any better you'd assume it was the interior of some tinpot dictator's "Presidential Palace"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

aloyisious wrote: »

I don't know how much of a link DB has with the German state but the U.S insurrection bid must have brought back memories to Germans of their past history of putsches. The Govt may have guided the DB announcement seeing it as a chance of a good start to the year as well for the relationship with official Washington after the Trump era, tie up loose ends.

Even if there isn't any actual link anymore between the government and the bank, the government wouldn't be too keen on a business bearing the name Deutsch being involved in years worth of legal proceedings against a former US president, no matter how "disgraced former US president" they are. Would think the government would be wanting DB to change their name or dump the debt just so things don't get spun as if it were the state taking the cases against Trump.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement