Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,374 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Seamai wrote: »
    Read an article yesterday in the Guardian saying that there a school of thought out there that thinks Trump could refuse to leave the White House if he loses the election. Seems a bit farfetched to me. Could he really do that?

I would say it’s extremely unlikely, he doesn’t strike me as someone who would risk his own neck for anything and if he had to be forcibly removed I’m not sure he’d enjoy bring man handled. Undoubtedly he’ll make a lot of noise but really that’s all he’d do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,274 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Read an article yesterday in the Guardian saying that there a school of thought out there that thinks Trump could refuse to leave the White House if he loses the election. Seems a bit farfetched to me. Could he really do that?

If Joe Biden (presumably) is inaugurated legitimately as 46th POTUS, the Secret Service and US Marine Corps will happily shoot him in the head.

I exaggerate, but the White House is not the Presidency. If the Chief Justice, the House Speaker and the Joint Chiefs of Staff are behind the rightfully elected and ratified POTUS and VPOTUS, they could be sitting in the corner of a McDonalds in Maryland and that would become the de facto White House. The system will work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,717 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

salmocab wrote: »
    I would say it’s extremely unlikely, he doesn’t strike me as someone who would risk his own neck for anything and if he had to be forcibly removed I’m not sure he’d enjoy bring man handled. Undoubtedly he’ll make a lot of noise but really that’s all he’d do.

possibly, but never underestimate the erratic capabilities of a cluster b, they tend to behave highly recklessly and impulsively when spooked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Technically no. The change of power is nothing to do with him, he does not need to approve or or accept the results.

I say technically because it's Trump so he may in fact cause a mini civil war if he so he chooses but I'd be amazed even after everything we have seen for that to happen too.

If he loses he's out, I don't think he will take part in the standard transition of power stuff and I doubt he will be doing anything bar playing golf in Florida in inauguration day but whether he likes it or not, it's **** all to do with him whether to "accept" or whatever the results of the election. He becomes former president on inauguration day.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,374 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    possibly, but never underestimate the erratic capabilities of a cluster b, they tend to behave highly recklessly and impulsively when spooked

He’s certainly reckless and impulsive but I’d be very surprised if he put himself in the way of any physical harm or even risk of it.

• Advertisement

salmocab wrote: »
    He’s certainly reckless and impulsive but I’d be very surprised if he put himself in the way of any physical harm or even risk of it.

be wary of the narcissist, theyre liable of anything, he wont be going quietly anyway, twitter will probably crash

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The more legitimate concern is that he uses the same Paramilitary troops that he has sent to Portland and now to other cities to "oversee" the Election wrapped up in some guff about "ensuring election integrity" alongside the Trump campaign staff that are now allowed to challenge people on their voting eligibility since the removal of the Consent decree

Imagine the scenes outside Election centres in typically Democrat districts - Armed Troops supporting "Election Integrity Officials" demanding ID or proof of citizenship etc. etc.

Sadly something that would have been utterly unimaginable in the US is now an eminently believable scenario.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Trump has made continuous noises about Postal Voting being fraudulent. Before the election has even taken place he is undermining the methods by which a lot of Americans will be voting this year. It does seem unlikely he'd refuse to leave the White House but he doesn't have to - he is taking a leaf from the book of his pal Roger Stone & de-legitimising the election before the first ballot is even cast. With the removal of the Consent Decree and the other voter suppression techniques 2020 is primed to be a horrendous example of American 'democracy'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Christy42

Trump continues to talk about how great he is for passing a basic cognitive test. Surely you can't have a man who felt those questions were difficult lead the US? Like the man is going to meet with world leaders.

As for the bounties. Yeah it is amazing how much people cared about the military was disrespected when some people kneeled and really couldn't give a flying f if you shoot members of the military. That isn't disrespectful I suppose.

Christy42 wrote: »
    Trump continues to talk about how great he is for passing a basic cognitive test. Surely you can't have a man who felt those questions were difficult lead the US? Like the man is going to meet with world leaders.

As for the bounties. Yeah it is amazing how much people cared about the military was disrespected when some people kneeled and really couldn't give a flying f if you shoot members of the military. That isn't disrespectful I suppose.

sadly it shows where america is as a society, its in desperation now, its sad to see

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Christy42 wrote: »

A test to check for dementia and he's proud to have passed it, rather than the question being asked about why his doctors felt there was a need for it in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,696 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

They have no intention of letting it get that far. Think GWB on steroids. They have already called into question the legitimacy of postal voting, which is likely to be huge in 2020 due to C19.

He is testing out how far the feds are willing to go for him in Portland, I assume he will be, or perhaps Trump supporters themselves, 'policing' the voting stations.

You can assume Barr already is working on ways to tie up results in legal cases. They just need to sow enough doubt that it drags on such that people get fed up.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Heres a run down on why he can't refuse to leave the White House:

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/06/trump-election-refusal-leave.html

But physically getting him out or removing his power as commander in chief isn't the problem, it's getting him to STFU.

Twitter should have booted him off their platform years ago, but completely understand why they can't at the moment because he's the president and the "people" have a right to hear his brain farts. They should close him down once the result is declared though and bring in a new rule about the president only tweeting via a predefined account from the White House for official statements or some such and political ranting from the official account being banned.

If he doesn't have Twitter anymore then the news networks will have nothing to report about him as he'll just be shouting at himself and the new channels can get on with reporting on what the new president is actually doing rather than what the crazy guy in the corner is shouting at his phone about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,018 ✭✭✭✭Penn

robinph wrote: »
    Heres a run down on why he can't refuse to leave the White House:

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/06/trump-election-refusal-leave.html

But physically getting him out or removing his power as commander in chief isn't the problem, it's getting him to STFU.

I'd say the biggest issue isn't if he refuses to leave, but what damage will he and the GOP do in the time before Biden is sworn in. They'll scorch the f*cking earth and line their own pockets on their way out the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    sadly it shows where america is as a society, its in desperation now, its sad to see

Going on two months of rioting in Portland now. Innocent people have been killed.

Sad that governors cannot control their states.

I wouldn't like to be a normal individual with a family who has to live in that kip.

6 children shot and killed during the recent holiday weekend. Where is the outrage?

There is none because people cant blame Trump or the police.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/06/us/children-killed-holiday-weekend/index.html

Going on two months of rioting in Portland now. Innocent people have been killed.

I wouldn't like to be a normal individual with a family who has to live in that kip

What are the people protesting about?

But this is the Trumps America. He has turned, what he classed as a dead American dream, into a nightmare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I wouldn't like to be a normal individual with a family who has to live in that kip.

6 children shot and killed during the recent holiday weekend. Where is the outrage?

Firstly the protests in Portland are limited to a very small area of the city so claiming governors cant control their own states is incredibly disingenuous but i think you already knew this.

Secondly Trump after promising last year to do something about guns promptly forgot about it completely as he does with everything when something new distracts him
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-50338937

So yes this can very much be layed at the feet of Trump and the entire GOP from the decades of them refusing to deal with the gun problem the states have.

Maybe Trump should be sending his secret police to areas where they can protect people instead of sending them to attack peaceful protests, shovel innocent people into unmarked vans and basically pour petrol on a low fire so he can use the footage in campaign ads against Biden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

VinLieger wrote: »
    Firstly the protests in Portland are limited to a very small area of the city so claiming governors cant control their own states is incredibly disingenuous but i think you already knew this.

Secondly Trump after promising last year to do something about guns promptly forgot about it completely as he does with everything when something new distracts him
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-50338937

So yes this can very much be layed at the feet of Trump and the entire GOP from the decades of them refusing to deal with the gun problem the states have.

Read the few words written about how each child was shot and killed.

Under your twisted logic those who pull the trigger and gun down children are not at fault.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Penn wrote: »
    Maybe Trump should be sending his secret police to areas where they can protect people instead of sending them to attack peaceful protests, shovel innocent people into unmarked vans and basically pour petrol on a low fire so he can use the footage in campaign ads against Biden.

Except he can't even manage that
    A post by Donald Trump's official Facebook account purports to show violence in the US but is in fact of an event in another country.

The advert shows one image of Mr Trump in a calm setting talking to police officers beside another of a security official being surrounded by protesters, saying: "Public safety vs chaos and violence".

However, the image is a photo from a pro-democracy protest in Ukraine in 2014.

• Advertisement

Quin_Dub wrote: »

I've seen many on Twitter also pointing out the irony of Trump's ads saying this is what Biden's America will look like even though it's literally what Trump's America currently looks like.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

You're acting like this is new.

Where has the outrage been for the last few years? Why is this only being mentioned by trump a 3 months out from the election?

Was this not all the fault of immigrants last time around?

Now it's the fault of Democrats?

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

I've seen many on Twitter also pointing out the irony of Trump's ads saying this is what Biden's America will look like even though it's literally what Trump's America currently looks like.

Yeah, it's astounding. Blaming the guy who's not president for the state of thing.

While saying man, woman, TV etc makes him smart.

It's staggering that people are still paying attention to this clown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,811 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Read the few words written about how each child was shot and killed.

Under your twisted logic those who pull the trigger and gun down children are not at fault.

Logic would suggest it's the people firing the guns are the people responsible for the deaths of the children killed by gunfire, and not the protestors attending at the law court and other federal buildings which Trump is using federal police agency members to "protect" in Portland. Choosing to link the shootings to them would be ignoring facts.

Incidentally, the cities named in the CNN report don't seem to include Portland where Trump had the federal police agencies deploy members to control protestors. The date of the report about the earlier killings is factual.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

There should be a new cognitive test where if you don't vote Trump you pass with flying colours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭briany

If Biden wins the election and inherits a flaming wreck of a country (speaking metaphorically... mostly), then it would technically be true to say that this country would then be Biden's America. Obviously I mean that in terms of possession rather than a product of his policies.

But you could bet your bottom dollar that Trump would take to Twitter and roundly criticise Biden for (gasp) not being able to put out every single fire started by Trump in the first week of Biden's presidency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,811 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Just in on CNBC news: Steve Mnuchin interview on deal between Senate Republicans and W/House, the payroll tax will not be in the base deal, agreed payment direct to workers was OK. Mnuchin: states which mismanaged the virus outbreak will NOT get funds. Given how Trump tweeted about young people being responsible for the fresh outbreak in states which re-opened in accordance with his wishes, Florida should then [in theory] be denied any fresh funding. Mnuchin said there would be US$ 25 million available for re-opening of schools safely.

aloyisious wrote: »
    Just in on CNBC news: Steve Mnuchin interview on deal between Senate Republicans and W/House, the payroll tax will not be in the base deal, agreed payment direct to workers was OK. Mnuchin: states which mismanaged the virus outbreak will NOT get funds. Given how Trump tweeted about young people being responsible for the fresh outbreak in states which re-opened in accordance with his wishes, Florida should then [in theory] be denied any fresh funding. Mnuchin said there would be US$ 25 million available for re-opening of schools safely.

Who determines "Mis-managed"? I can see massive partisan bull going on there.

And seriously, a whole $25M for the entire country?

They might as well have not bothered

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Florida, Georgia and Texas will all get ample funding despite handling the situation as badly as just about any states out there. Probably Nevada and Arizona too. Biden leads by about 6.5% in Florida and Arizona, there is less than 3% between the two candidates in the other listed states (yes including Texas).

Blue states will be getting as good as nothing, you can bank on that. Deep red states that have had a lot of cases like Louisiana may or may not, as cash is running tighter and the trump admin are aware that they'll vote for him regardless.

Expect this to be spent almost exclusively in purple states for the presidential election, and battleground states for senate seats.

• Advertisement

Noticeable that Trump has significantly changed tack in regards to C19. His latest briefings are far more sombre, to the point and highlight that masks are required and things will get worse before they get better.

Obviously the polls, fake as they are, have made an impact (apart from them changing the campaign top guys) and they have pivoted to at least trying to appear more concerned and involved.

Will that be enough to persuade those that lost faith in him to give him another chance? Can't do much worse tbh?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement