Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Who determines "Mis-managed"? I can see massive partisan bull going on there.

And seriously, a whole $25M for the entire country?

They might as well have not bothered

Ha, I skimmed over that without it properly registering. According to Google there are 130,930 schools in the US ranging from kindergarten to 12th grade. That averages out to a whopping $190.95 per school.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

A whole $275M less than Steve Mnuchin's net worth.

There really has to be a special place in hell for these people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,835 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Penn wrote: »
    Maybe Trump should be sending his secret police to areas where they can protect people instead of sending them to attack peaceful protests, shovel innocent people into unmarked vans and basically pour petrol on a low fire so he can use the footage in campaign ads against Biden.

His use of unmarked vans and illegal detentions has had the Streisand Effect, with hundreds more protesters pouring in, many of whom have never protested in their life, like the Wall of Moms and Wall of Dads. Even the Portland Mayor/Chief of Police was down there last night to get teargassed. All he’s done is draw all eyes to Portland and what they see is the same behavior we expect from China etc. which really puts his Tianmen Square comments into new light:

"When the students poured into Tiananmen Square, the Chinese government almost blew it. Then they were vicious, they were horrible, but they put it down with strength."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,668 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    i think there is a real possibility of this, if he fails to be reelected, and badly loses, he ll probably behave highly irrationally, as a typical cluster b would, i also believe he may just walk away from the elections before the vote if he keeps falling in the poles, the ego of the cluster b is fragile.

I dont think things will get that far that the possibility of him being psychically removed from the White House would arise. The battleground post election is likely to be allegations of voter fraud and will be fought in the courts. Already both the Dems and Reps have set up legal teams in each state ready to do battle over this. What I could see happen is repeats of the Brooks Brothers riots from 2000 when Republicans sent protestors into a count cerntre in Miami to ensure that a re-count of Bush vs.Gore could not take place. If there are marginal counts in this election I could well see Trump ordering his supporters to go down to the count centres to cause chaos. Armed militias going down to count centres fully tooled up is a very real possibility.
    Leroy42 wrote: »
    Noticeable that Trump has significantly changed tack in regards to C19. His latest briefings are far more sombre, to the point and highlight that masks are required and things will get worse before they get better.

Obviously the polls, fake as they are, have made an impact (apart from them changing the campaign top guys) and they have pivoted to at least trying to appear more concerned and involved.

Will that be enough to persuade those that lost faith in him to give him another chance? Can't do much worse tbh?

Yeah his pressers are a lot more sombre than what we are used to. I think he is currently being stage managed to within an inch of his life by Kayleigh and Kellyanne as he has not gone off script at all. There is only so long that will last though until he does. Might take a week or two but he will go off script even though Kayleigh and Kellyanne will have been just urging him in the Oval Office before the pressers to stick to the script that they've prepared for him. Trump can only do that for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Just watching BBC documentary about Trump from 2010 - he says he gets 3-4 hours sleep a night and manages fine lol...no really Donald

• Advertisement

Just on one of the sites I read daily they have a bit about postal voting and mention completely in passing about "waiting for hours in line to vote". It really is incredible that for many people in The Greatest Country in the History of the World that it's considered normal to queue for a block or 2 to cast a ballot. Even when voting on 3 things in Ireland I can park outside the building and within 3 minutes I'm back in my car. There's so much in the US that is abnormal and they don't realise it.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I dont think things will get that far that the possibility of him being psychically removed from the White House would arise.

As Nancy Pelosi said, very rightly, the White House is merely a location - it's who has been voted into office and takes the oath of office who is President. In 2017 this was Trump, in 2021 it could be Biden. Trump can do what he likes - the Secret Service, government, armed forces and WH staff will be at the disposal of the president, whoever that is. No physical removals necessary...Biden may decide to charge him rent though.

Still watching Trump documentary from 2010 - one of his golf clubs in New York has 300k joining fee then 20k per year. And whose name is on one of the lockers? President William J. Clinton! Eric Trump says that Clinton is "a very good friend of ours..very nice man". Ha!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

fr336 wrote: »
    Still watching Trump documentary from 2010 - one of his golf clubs in New York has 300k joining fee then 20k per year. And whose name is on one of the lockers? President William J. Clinton! Eric Trump says that Clinton is "a very good friend of ours..very nice man". Ha!

The Clintons were guests at one of his Weddings.

Him being a "Republican" is for convenience only - they were the ones most likely to get him elected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,811 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Who determines "Mis-managed"? I can see massive partisan bull going on there.

And seriously, a whole $25M for the entire country?

They might as well have not bothered

I'll re-check that figure. I may have put an M where there should have been a B.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Florida, Georgia and Texas will all get ample funding despite handling the situation as badly as just about any states out there. Probably Nevada and Arizona too. Biden leads by about 6.5% in Florida and Arizona, there is less than 3% between the two candidates in the other listed states (yes including Texas).

Blue states will be getting as good as nothing, you can bank on that. Deep red states that have had a lot of cases like Louisiana may or may not, as cash is running tighter and the trump admin are aware that they'll vote for him regardless.

Expect this to be spent almost exclusively in purple states for the presidential election, and battleground states for senate seats.

Just looking at your user name Car. Face. Man. Dog.

Are you sure you're not a figment ofTrump's imagination? Like Person, Woman, Man, Camera, TV?

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,668 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

fr336 wrote: »
    Just watching BBC documentary about Trump from 2010 - he says he gets 3-4 hours sleep a night and manages fine lol...no really Donald

yeah you sometimes get entrepreneurs who claim this, Bill Cullen used to do the same. I always take it with a pinch of salt because I dont believe anyone could perform at a good level by only ever sleeping for 4 hours. If fact I remember some multi millionaire admitting lying about claiming he operated on 4 hours sleep a night, he said he falsely put that out there in the hope his market competitors would do the same and literally tire themselves out from exhaustion.

Just on one of the sites I read daily they have a bit about postal voting and mention completely in passing about "waiting for hours in line to vote". It really is incredible that for many people in The Greatest Country in the History of the World that it's considered normal to queue for a block or 2 to cast a ballot. Even when voting on 3 things in Ireland I can park outside the building and within 3 minutes I'm back in my car. There's so much in the US that is abnormal and they don't realise it.

The reason being given/used by the people [county clerk office-holders] is that people have declined to work in vote-centres over fear of Covid-19, which forced the clerks to reduce the number of voting centres from numbers like 50+ down to 5 in some counties and constituencies. The multiplicity of the electoral-offices being voted on seems to be a factor in time spent filling in ballot papers. Adding in the planned anti-covid safety measures reduces estimated free-flow movement in the centres, though I think the plan is to use different entry and exit routes for voters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Yeah his pressers are a lot more sombre than what we are used to. I think he is currently being stage managed to within an inch of his life by Kayleigh and Kellyanne as he has not gone off script at all. There is only so long that will last though until he does. Might take a week or two but he will go off script even though Kayleigh and Kellyanne will have been just urging him in the Oval Office before the pressers to stick to the script that they've prepared for him. Trump can only do that for so long.

He failed on the first night when asked about Ghislain Maxwell, and wishing her all the best, and waxing lyrical about how he met her dozens of times when he lived in Palm Beach. Hardly the response he should have given!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,612 ✭✭✭✭Water John

He's doing the Covid briefings alone so that he's not overshadowed or corrected.
    It's his only substitute for political rallies.
    The briefings will go totally political soon.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

aloyisious wrote: »
    The reason being given/used by the people [county clerk office-holders] is that people have declined to work in vote-centres over fear of Covid-19, which forced the clerks to reduce the number of voting centres from numbers like 50+ down to 5 in some counties and constituencies. The multiplicity of the electoral-offices being voted on seems to be a factor in time spent filling in ballot papers. Adding in the planned anti-covid safety measures reduces estimated free-flow movement in the centres, though I think the plan is to use different entry and exit routes for voters.

That's something that we don't necessarily understand over here.

In November people could be voting for 20 different positions in the one shot.

POTUS, Senator , Congress , State Senate & House , Governor , County commissioner , School Commissioner etc. etc. along with possibly a variety of votes for legislation at State/City/County level..

A huge number of roles that would be done within the various Civil Service departments here are publicly elected positions in the US.

We got all emotional when we had 3 votes on the same day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,274 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

yeah you sometimes get entrepreneurs who claim this, Bill Cullen used to do the same. I always take it with a pinch of salt because I dont believe anyone could perform at a good level by only ever sleeping for 4 hours. If fact I remember some multi millionaire admitting lying about claiming he operated on 4 hours sleep a night, he said he falsely put that out there in the hope his market competitors would do the same and literally tire themselves out from exhaustion.

Maggie Thatcher claimed the same. Nothing ever motivated me more to get 7 hours than that.

But seriously, people who think they are shyt hot surviving on a minimum of sleep get dementia sooner than the rest of us, its a metric only of stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,696 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

This, people, is the current POTUS. The most powerful man in the world!

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1286176726062632965

The fact he actually went through with it again in the interview, like he was proving to everyone that he managed it. And he seems proud of himself. To him, this is probably a massive deal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Thing is, watching that video? He still PAUSED. Like, he didn't trip off those 4 items as if it were lyrics in a song; I still noticed small pauses, especially later in the chat when he had to recall what he said - you could tell he was being very careful he got the order right. "Very stable genius" and "intensely masculine" indeed. Or maybe I'm reading too much into things: 'cos when someone repeatedly shouts "look how smart I am!?", my first instinct is to look for the cracks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,835 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Because most American voters don't experience that. Well, most Republican voters. I have the same experience as you when you vote, but I don't live in majority black districts. Whereas they seem to go out of their way to make it hell to vote if you live in a district that these Republicans in control of the elections board don't want you to vote in.

I have a text from the SC Democrat Party asking me to be a poll watcher, on one hand I'm asking why? I'm an Independent and this district will do what level of voter suppression? Little to none? Or am I just oblivious to what could happen. And the risk of getting Covid is higher than when I will go in and out to vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Maggie Thatcher claimed the same. Nothing ever motivated me more to get 7 hours than that.

But seriously, people who think they are shyt hot surviving on a minimum of sleep get dementia sooner than the rest of us, its a metric only of stupidity.

Yes, and she developed dementia later.

Theres a train of thought in science linking lack of sleep over a long period with later development of dementia.

Either way its not something a politician should brag about.

The fact he actually went through with it again in the interview, like he was proving to everyone that he managed it. And he seems proud of himself. To him, this is probably a massive deal.

Crazy that he's still talking about this. I had a look at the test. Anyone above a toddler would pass it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭briany

I realise I'm late to the party on this, but I'm just watching the interview Trump did with FOX News last weekend. Holy ****, that was an utter train wreck. I've seen some comical Trump interviews but this takes the cake so far. Maybe there's a chance the U.S. could just pretend his tenure never happened, if he gets voted out in Nov.

(On refusing to change the name of Fort Bragg), "We won two world wars. Two world wars. Beautiful world wars, that were vicious and horrible, and we won 'em out of Fort Bragg."

:pac: :pac: :pac:

MSN has a story running from Business Insider that the Trump campaign & his son-in-law are in dispute with AT&T and two other Cellphone Co's over campaign spam text messages it's sending to the Phone Co customers. The Co's are worried that they will fall foul of federal laws which fine Co's for sending spam messages to customers without their permission and used tools to block the messages. The Federal Dept tasked with overseeing customers rights matters is also reported to have increased the fines applied to offending spamming Co's so the Co's are doubly not happy with Trump's campaign using their services to text customers with spam the customers had not agreed to accept.

However, despite wanting to have the cake and eat it, the campaign may have to just STFU and grin as political operatives unhappy about robocalls being blocked by the phone co's lost a case in the USSC about the blocking infringing 1st amendment rights. The Court ruled against the American Association of Political Consultants on the issue.

https://channel411news.com/2020/07/23/trumps-team-is-battling-cellphone-companies-over-campaign-spam-texts-business-insider/

Crazy that he's still talking about this. I had a look at the test. Anyone above a toddler would pass it.

About 5/6 Million people in the US have Dementia - Every other functioning adult should pass that test without even thinking about it..

He's now spent 2 weeks bragging about "Acing" a test that 98%+ of Adults would pass easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Do people still think the US president is the most powerful person in the world?

The US president can't even control local issues in America.

Do people still think the US president is the most powerful person in the world?

The US president can't even control local issues in America.

The US President is arguably the most powerful in a bully kind of way due to the size and reach of its military, It's not from an influence point of view that's for certain.

POTUS has not been "The leader of the free world (TM)" for quite some time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

The judge in the Michael Cohen case has ordered that he be released to home confinement by 2 pm tomorrow.

The Twitter machine is being oiled up for a long night as we speak..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,696 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

The US President is arguably the most powerful in a bully kind of way due to the size and reach of its military, It's not from an influence point of view that's for certain.

POTUS has not been "The leader of the free world (TM)" for quite some time.

POTUD is in charge of the worlds biggest economy and vastly biggest and most advanced military.

Whether they have the ability to use that power effectively is different to them being powerful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭banie01

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    The judge in the Michael Cohen case has ordered that he be released to home confinement by 2 pm tomorrow.

The Twitter machine is being oiled up for a long night as we speak..

Now there's a book I look forward to reading!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement