Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,668 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Two days of a change of tone doesn’t change three and a half years of utter rubbish. As I mentioned even during his first press briefing he again mentioned the virus would disappear. I give it a week tops before he’s back to his old mad self.

yeah agreed. But Id say in the background of his campaign there are crisis meetings going on about those polling numbers which are well outside the margin of error. So they know they have to change tack to try to rescue this mess. This new tone is designed to do that in the hope voters forget. Its got the fingerprints of Kellyanne all over it with Kayleigh writing the scripts and him being told to stick to it. Even the way he is speaking has changed, its a lower tone and less brash and confrontational, he was very polite with the journalists instead of his usual adversarial self. Questions are quite limited too, 5 or 6 I think it was before he walked off the podium.
    Water John wrote: »
    He's spinning at story at these press conf's that is simply, not true.
    The figures in the last 15 days have gone from 3 to 4 million infected. The numbers will get him.
    Getting savaged on CNN ATM by a doctor from Arizona. Trump said at the presser that AZ was doing well.

yeah I was only half listening to the numbers but he is basically trying to claim everything is rosy, still going on about the amount of ventilators they made and the worlds best testing, all the governers are working so hard and doing a great job, etc, etc He is trying to give an impression that everything is under control and he is good in a crisis. As you say the numbers will get him, either that or he goes back to his divisive rants which is what made his numbers tank in the first place. Its just not possible for him to keep up that act for a whole three months till election day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

And also if he really wanted to project a feeling of him being on the same page with the public health experts and as we see there were non on Wednesday and presumably that was repeated tonight ?

Also patty Hearst read better hostage letters than Donald trump. We've seen it with the Helsinki mess, the Charlottesville mind**** where he had three goes to clean that up and ended up ranting at reporters in front of the elevators at trump tower.

Also, let's not forget that the president of the United States when talking about someone alledged(innocent until proven guilty and all that jazz) of being a recruiter of under age girls for Jeffrey Epstein, wished that person well not once but twice and of his own volition confirmed he knew her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,835 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

"Ssssuuhhhhh gonna be just fine"

New LP Ad - and it's shaping up to be everything I knew a general election ad campaign would become: people who have been simply cataloguing what Trump says to remind everyone how horrible he's been over time, in this case horrible on Covid leadership.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

I noticed something weird with that ad, the 'total cases' figure actually begins dropping in the last 4 or 5 seconds which doesn't make sense. Small thing, but what's that about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭briany

What are the Republicans going to do about Trump's base? If the Republican party tries to ignore this group, they potentially lose many voters. But if they pander to that base, they could lose as many voters from another demographic. Has Trump's created an irreparable schism?

• Advertisement

I noticed something weird with that ad, the 'total cases' figure actually begins dropping in the last 4 or 5 seconds which doesn't make sense. Small thing, but what's that about?

Yeah I spotted that too, it doesn't dip after the 1st wave so it makes no sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,811 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

The original Trump came through with his repeated "The Chinese sent the virus" comment either side of mentioning how the Chinese had bought millions of tons of two U.S farm crop products. Having to announce the cancellation of the Florida convention must have hurt him bad, while trying to cover it by pretending to be pro-active with concerns he now has about social spacing and use of masks as practical anti-virus health measures at GOP conventions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,132 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

briany wrote: »
    What are the Republicans going to do about Trump's base? If the Republican party tries to ignore this group, they potentially lose many voters. But if they pander to that base, they could lose as many voters from another demographic. Has Trump's created an irreparable schism?

The civil war when Biden wins will be brutal.

The party has always managed to somehow keep the Paleocons, neocons and libertarians from killing each other but the contempt they have for each other is really stepping up.

The white educated suburban republicans are probably lost to a Biden and may not come back so if they want to survive they probably need to form some sort of working class base through all demos. Trump to be fair was doing ok with Hispanics pre covid , but can the likes of Hawley, Tucker, and a bandwagon jumper like Cotton really expand the base?

They also have the obvious problem, the donor's are for the most part hardcore libertarians obsessed with free market bollocks, while the Trump base are very much in favour of big government etc.

I dunno 2024 will be lit, Nikki Hailey will be backed by the old guard but its probably more likely someone like Hawley will come through on some sort of Trumpism style ticket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭amandstu

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Also, just watched AOCs speech on the floor of the house earlier today and Rep ted yoho of Texas will regret what he said to her in front of the media because now more people know about him and not for good reasons. Also, you see why the GOP hate her so much. She doesn't back down.

That was some speech.I think she may be remembered for that .She is bound to be a leading member of her party in the future.

Trump tonight spouted nonsense on television about sending 50 to 70 thousand federal agents into Democrat-controlled cities.

https://www.mediaite.com/news/trump-suggests-possible-deployment-of-50000-75000-federal-agents-to-help-cities-we-can-solve-these-problems-so-fast/
    “We want to go in and help the cities, we want help Chicago, we want to help all of them,” Trump said on Fox News. “Detroit is having problems. A very good police chief in Detroit but they are having problems. We’ll go into all the cities, any of the cities. We’ll put in 50,000, 60,000 people that really know what they are doing. And they are strong, tough, and we can solve these problems so fast. But as you know, we have to be invited in.”

Of note: DHS has 240,000 total employees, per its website, and, as of 2016, the agency employed roughly 62,000 full-time law enforcement officers. That number includes roughly 38,000 Customs and Border Protection officers, 12,000 ICE officers, more than 5,000 Secret Service agents, and nearly 1,000 Federal Protection Service agents. The Justice Department includes another 44,000 full-time law enforcement agents, among them the FBI, ATF, and DEA.

To get to the numbers he's boasting about you'd have to pull half the entire law enforcement apparatus of DHS and Justice Dept off of regular duty, which would be insanity in a word. If he's actually serious, he's a complete maniac. If he just thinks bluffing/threatening about it like this will win him approval, he's also a maniac. He's also just a complete maniac.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,047 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Overheal wrote: »
    Yeah I spotted that too, it doesn't dip after the 1st wave so it makes no sense.

Maybe it's a subtle plug to the reporting of figures from cdc direct to the trump controlled health department......

Jukin the stats.

listermint wrote: »
    Maybe it's a subtle plug to the reporting of figures from cdc direct to the trump controlled health department......

Jukin the stats.

So subtle as to be confusing. And if I’m trump inclined I see that dip and think ‘yeah see he’s bringing it down’

• Registered Users Posts: 11,154 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Trump tonight spouted nonsense on television about sending 50 to 70 thousand federal agents into Democrat-controlled cities.

https://www.mediaite.com/news/trump-suggests-possible-deployment-of-50000-75000-federal-agents-to-help-cities-we-can-solve-these-problems-so-fast/
    “We want to go in and help the cities, we want help Chicago, we want to help all of them,” Trump said on Fox News. “Detroit is having problems. A very good police chief in Detroit but they are having problems. We’ll go into all the cities, any of the cities. We’ll put in 50,000, 60,000 people that really know what they are doing. And they are strong, tough, and we can solve these problems so fast. But as you know, we have to be invited in.”

Of note: DHS has 240,000 total employees, per its website, and, as of 2016, the agency employed roughly 62,000 full-time law enforcement officers. That number includes roughly 38,000 Customs and Border Protection officers, 12,000 ICE officers, more than 5,000 Secret Service agents, and nearly 1,000 Federal Protection Service agents. The Justice Department includes another 44,000 full-time law enforcement agents, among them the FBI, ATF, and DEA.

To get to the numbers he's boasting about you'd have to pull half the entire law enforcement apparatus of DHS and Justice Dept off of regular duty, which would be insanity in a word. If he's actually serious, he's a complete maniac. If he just thinks bluffing/threatening about it like this will win him approval, he's also a maniac. He's also just a complete maniac.

It isn't a complete disaster if they are used, like the Chicago Mayor has stated, under the control of the city.

I think the numbers are nonsense but the fear would be that they'd bring in private companies to bolster the numbers, like they did in the Middle East. Why it is so important to get them wearing identification.

The key problem with the whole thing is that even dumping that kind of numbers on the street doesn't do much to stop crime. Even having a cops on every corner isn't going to stop drive by shootings or ones done inside high rise buildings. The problem isnt as basic as Trump or certain commentators make it out to be.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

So he can magic up 75,000 Federal agents to fight "Violent Protesters" almost overnight , but can't get people to fight the Pandemic which is the Actual threat to American people???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,374 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Foxtrol wrote: »

I think the numbers are nonsense but the fear would be that they'd bring in private companies to bolster the numbers, like they did in the Middle East. Why it is so important to get them wearing identification.
    be.

The reason most police forces wear identification is so individual officers can be identified if something happens. Letting them operate without any markings or identification is akin to saying do as you please to these protesters as we’ve decided you have no responsibility. It’s the workings of a police state.
    Edit, I see maybe you missed a word from the last sentence. Apologies if I took you up wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,154 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

salmocab wrote: »
    The reason most police forces wear identification is so individual officers can be identified if something happens. Letting them operate without any markings or identification is akin to saying do as you please to these protesters as we’ve decided you have no responsibility. It’s the workings of a police state.
    Edit, I see maybe you missed a word from the last sentence. Apologies if I took you up wrong.

Yeah, what I meant was in agreement with your post.

Identifying individuals is definitely extremely important but even crazier is that in Portland and previously in DC and Philadelphia (and probably other cities) there were armed men that you couldn't even identify what group they were with and refused to answer questions. You can't tell who is actually is law enforcement and who is a wannabe hard man randomer in military clothing, like you see at many far-right/white supremacy rallies.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Identifying individuals is definitely extremely important but even crazier is that in Portland and previously in DC and Philadelphia (and probably other cities) there were armed men that you couldn't even identify what group they were with and refused to answer questions. You can't tell who is actually is law enforcement and who is a wannabe hard man randomer in military clothing, like you see at many far-right/white supremacy rallies.

Absolutely - The proliferation of "Military style" weapons and garb among these militia type sad cases makes it a very worrying time..

I've watched the footage of those "arrests" in Portland and you'd be hard pushed to tell those characters from some of these Minutemen or Three percenter morons.

yeah it seems to me like Trump is boxed in here. Though Ive noticed a more conciliatory tone from him in the daily briefings but then last night on Fox news he reverted to type. So maybe the strategy is to rally his base via Fox but when on the briefings try to act just a bit Presidential. But he is definitely in trouble here, he needs to energise the base but doing so puts off independent voters.

amandstu wrote: »
    That was some speech.I think she may be remembered for that .She is bound to be a leading member of her party in the future.

I just watched the full 10 minute speech and it was powerful. What I didnt know was she was going to let the whole affair slide but Yoho then made a speech along the lines of 'Ive got a wife and daughters and therefore I am a decent man'. Thats the bit that really riled AOC and it made her respond with yesterdays speech. She spoke eloquently for a full 10 minutes without notes, it was an impressive performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

I was going to say Hong Kong too, though it looks like they at least they had identifiers to show they're general law enforcement. Is China's behaviour in Hong Kong too high a bar to set for Trump at this point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

White supremacist WH Advisor Stephen Miller's grandmother died from Covid. The WH is denying it (them being so medically qualified and all). My question is, did she contract it from Miller's wife? https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/7/23/1963294/-White-House-claims-Stephen-Miller-s-grandma-recovered-from-COVID-19-Problem-is-she-died-from-it

• Advertisement

The ever latest Lincoln Project ad takes aim at Trumps well wishes of Ghislaine Maxwell and even includes a direct plug for Joe Biden particularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,374 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Eventually someone in unmarked military style uniform is going to be killed and we’ll have to hear about the hero doing their bit for the country. When the reality will be they were sent to their death by the leadership and with no identification markings people will rightfully be able to claim self defence from random thugs on the street. It’s a sh1t show waiting to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭briany

Muahahaha wrote: »
    yeah it seems to me like Trump is boxed in here. Though Ive noticed a more conciliatory tone from him in the daily briefings but then last night on Fox news he reverted to type. So maybe the strategy is to rally his base via Fox but when on the briefings try to act just a bit Presidential. But he is definitely in trouble here, he needs to energise the base but doing so puts off independent voters.

He has spent the last 3 and a half years conducting himself in a very un-presidential way. It's something that a sizable group of independents could have looked past if there'd been no major crisis to really show the fact that Trump's lack of presidential credentials extends well beyond the divisive stuff he says on Twitter into the realm that affects real people on the ground. A conciliatory tone probably isn't going to win most of those independents back.

But a consolation for Trump would be that if and when he is booted out of the job, he still has tens of millions of Americans to hang on his every tweet and thus feed his ego. Somehow I get the feeling Trump will have no problem stoking the tensions in the USA, given he had no problem doing it before he was president, and while he is president. This may give pause to those who wish to prosecute him after he is no longer in office, that Trump will go full nuclear with his words and attempt to incite large-scale violence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,544 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Wow that Lincoln Project new advert is a killer for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,617 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

He has spent the last 3 and a half years conducting himself in a very un-presidential way. It's something that a sizable group of independents could have looked past if there'd been no major crisis to really show the fact that Trump's lack of presidential credentials extends well beyond the divisive stuff he says on Twitter into the realm that affects real people on the ground. A conciliatory tone probably isn't going to win most of those independents back.

But a consolation for Trump would be that if and when he is booted out of the job, he still has tens of millions of Americans to hang on his every tweet and thus feed his ego. Somehow I get the feeling Trump will have no problem stoking the tensions in the USA, given he had no problem doing it before he was president, and while he is president. This may give pause to those who wish to prosecute him after he is no longer in office, that Trump will go full nuclear with his words and attempt to incite large-scale violence.

On this,

Before he was president he was just an Obama hating crank who no one took much notice of.

If (after he gets the boot) he tweets in a way that causes trouble i would like to think that he may get arrested/prosecuted. The problem here of course is the American first amendment which allows him to say pretty much what he wishes.

Interesting times ahead I think, it's gonna be an interesting 6 months or four years, depending on the result.

Dr.Fauci has come out and said that he, his wife and his daughters have been receiving hate mail and threats over his handling of the coronavirus. He also mentioned the politicisation of the virus too.
    Fauci says "serious threats" have been made against him and his wife and daughters

Dr. Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases for more than three decades, has grappled with several public health crises, including the AIDS epidemic and now, COVID-19. In an interview with CNN's David Axelrod, Fauci said the magnitude of criticism he is receiving now is different than in the past, and that he and his family have been seriously threatened.

On "The Axe Files" podcast, Axelrod asked Fauci about how he's become a target during the pandemic, as people who have suffered economic hardships have become angry.

"I've seen a side of society that I guess is understandable, but it's a little bit disturbing," Fauci said. "You know, back in the days of HIV when I was being criticized with some hate mail, it was more, you know, people calling me a gay-lover and 'What the hell are you wasting a lot of time on that?'"

Fauci said that criticism was pushed "aside as stupid people saying stupid things."

"It's really a magnitude different now because of the anger," Fauci said. "As much as people inappropriately, I think, make me somewhat of a hero — and I'm not a hero, I'm just doing my job — there are people who get really angry at thinking I'm interfering with their life because I'm pushing a public-health agenda," he continued.
    "It's tough," he said. "Serious threats against me, against my wife, against my daughters. I mean, really? Is this the United States of America?" Fauci said.

When Axelrod asked if he took on security measures, Fauci said yes, he's been given security. The Department of Justice confirmed in April that federal officials were ramping up security for Fauci after threats were made against him. The increase in security came at the request of the Health and Human Services Inspector General, the officials said.

In this week's interview, Fauci called the politicization of the coronavirus, "a reflection of the divisiveness in our society at the political level." He said the coronavirus is a public health issue and "what we're talking about are fundamental principles of public health."

"I don't see how people can have animosity to that. I understand you have to be careful because of the negative consequences of shutting down – that's understandable. Which is why we are all trying to open up America again in a way that is safe, that we can do in a measured fashion," he said. "But the hostility against public health issues is difficult not only to understand, but difficult to process."
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/fauci-threats-wife-daughters-family/

I wonder are the threats a recent thing that happened off the back of the Republicans briefing against him.

Assuming he loses in November he'll be kicked off Twitter, Fox will gradually stop covering what he says and he'll be on a niche channel (unless Sinclair take him on) and niche websites. He'll still have his followers but plenty will drift off til the GOP re-inspires them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Assuming he loses in November he'll be kicked off Twitter, Fox will gradually stop covering what he says and he'll be on a niche channel (unless Sinclair take him on) and niche websites. He'll still have his followers but plenty will drift off til the GOP re-inspires them.

He'll be too busy in court to worry about Twitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Really good executive orders just passed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Really good executive orders just passed

What are they about?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement