Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

What are they about?

Drug prices and related.

4 executive orders. He dragged it out talking about it. Painful to listen to.

Also mentioned that Us has bought 90% of world supply of remdesivir .

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2007764

Other things mentioned was a 66% reduction in price of insulin for Americans

Large reduction in EpiPen cost.

Missed the rest

Had a few people with stories praising him.

It was an election ad mixed with some good executive orders for Americans. Mostly an ad though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Seems like a decent deal on lower prices of medication for the people of Florida.

The whole thing looks bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Drug prices

Could take until November before they become effective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,835 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

https://twitter.com/HKrassenstein/status/1286757549866389504?s=20

Complete with a bizarre photo op:

https://twitter.com/USATODAY/status/1286749509691650048?s=20

This is the Pelosi bill: H.R.3 - Elijah E. Cummings Lower Drug Costs Now Act

Mitch McConnell never even introduced it to the Senate for consideration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Shameless attempt to be seen to do good acts, he can play it off too either way actually when someone focuses on the senate refusing to take up almost identical measures by pretending he will step up for the American people when the Congress fails them and blah blah blah

Or he can just say the do nothing democrats bill was totally different and point to some minor detail as a massive bone of contention which changed it from good for America to commie crap.

He is just a pathetic human being, the GOP are a pathetic party and the sooner they get their comeuppance and have to go back to the drawing board after a clear out the better.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

Could take until November before they become effective.

If it benefits people young and old then the sooner the better

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

If it benefits people young and old then the sooner the better

True. Much too late for many though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

briany wrote: »
    He has spent the last 3 and a half years conducting himself in a very un-presidential way. It's something that a sizable group of independents could have looked past if there'd been no major crisis to really show the fact that Trump's lack of presidential credentials extends well beyond the divisive stuff he says on Twitter into the realm that affects real people on the ground. A conciliatory tone probably isn't going to win most of those independents back.

But a consolation for Trump would be that if and when he is booted out of the job, he still has tens of millions of Americans to hang on his every tweet and thus feed his ego. Somehow I get the feeling Trump will have no problem stoking the tensions in the USA, given he had no problem doing it before he was president, and while he is president. This may give pause to those who wish to prosecute him after he is no longer in office, that Trump will go full nuclear with his words and attempt to incite large-scale violence.
    If Trump loses in November (assuming there's a legitimate election), the first thing he will do will be another call to arms for his supporters. If that fails (which it will unless he gets the army etc on board somehow) he will have left American soil prior to his last day in office when his illegal immunity ends, and will never spend the rest of his days in Moscow, and will stoke the tensions from there.

If he doesn't do this, he is a near certainty to be arrested the day after his term ends and will be up the creek without the Republican senators willing go acquit him while also admitting his guilt. With his age and health he would likely never, in this scenario he would likely die in prison.

What will possibly happen though is a court will rule it illegal, pending an all but certain lawsuit from Pharma, and Speaker Pelosi will be able to immediately point how HR 3 is still sitting on Mitch's desk, an act of congress has far more legal clout than an EO does. Trump pledged to lower prices in his 2017 SOTU address. Why did he not tell Mitch to bring the bill forward, or work on a compromise bill? He's had time.

Really this just appears to be an empty set of gestures to curry favor with seniors, particularly Floridians (DeSantis was in attendance). As we've said here often, he can't win without Florida - where Quinnipiac has Biden up +13 points.

If Trump loses in November (assuming there's a legitimate election), the first thing he will do will be another call to arms for his supporters. If that fails (which it will unless he gets the army etc on board somehow) he will have left American soil prior to his last day in office when his illegal immunity ends, and will never spend the rest of his days in Moscow, and will stoke the tensions from there.

If he doesn't do this, he is a near certainty to be arrested the day after his term ends and will be up the creek without the Republican senators willing go acquit him while also admitting his guilt. With his age and health he would likely never, in this scenario he would likely die in prison.

If he loses in November, SDNY might immediately publish their indictments and have him regarded as a flight risk.

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Dr.Fauci has come out and said that he, his wife and his daughters have been receiving hate mail and threats over his handling of the coronavirus. He also mentioned the politicisation of the virus too.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/fauci-threats-wife-daughters-family/

I wonder are the threats a recent thing that happened off the back of the Republicans briefing against him.
    I saw that earlier and didn't even bat an eyelid, the moment Trump soured on him this was an inevitability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I mean he's still calling it the china virus. He's trying to change his tone but he's not changed that much if you scratch the surface.

Overheal wrote: »
    If he loses in November, SDNY might immediately publish their indictments and have him regarded as a flight risk.

Ideally, but do they have the authority to ground a current sitting president (and Air Force 1 etc) as a flight risk? I could be wrong but in that scenario, during the Nov 3rd - Jan 19th period he wouldn't actually lose any power or immunities and could easily go for some supposed diplomatic type meeting and simply refuse to return.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I mean he's still calling it the china virus. He's trying to change his tone but he's not changed that much if you scratch the surface.

I wouldn't pay much notice to that, he'll likely have snapped and reneged on all that by the end of next week.

I wouldn't pay much notice to that, he'll likely have snapped and reneged on all that by the end of next week.

Oh I know but people think he's changed when he hasn't. And his change of tone is for a political reason. It's not for any new found worry for the American people.

Oh I know but people think he's changed when he hasn't. And his change of tone is for a political reason. It's not for any new found worry for the American people.

Oh absolutely, I just don't think it'll be a factor in 100 days because I don't think he'll be able to stick with it for 10.

Ideally, but do they have the authority to ground a current sitting president (and Air Force 1 etc) as a flight risk? I could be wrong but in that scenario, during the Nov 3rd - Jan 19th period he wouldn't actually lose any power or immunities and could easily go for some supposed diplomatic type meeting and simply refuse to return.

I think the OLC opinion would still hold but politically I don't think the Air Force would acquiesce to flying him to where he can't be extradited. Either way if he was that brazen to pull such a stunt, the Republicans are done as a party, period, and something else will come along in its wake, like the Conservative Party or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,696 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I think the OLC opinion would still hold but politically I don't think the Air Force would acquiesce to flying him to where he can't be extradited. Either way if he was that brazen to pull such a stunt, the Republicans are done as a party, period, and something else will come along in its wake, like the Conservative Party or something.

Getting a bit ahead of yourselves. No charges have been brought, never mind found against him. The likelihood is he will be allowed off without any fuss. The last thing anybody will want is to be dealing with Trump cases for years. It will only end of badly for the US no matter what the outcome.

If Biden wins, he will be busy trying to deal with a pandemic, recession and trying to regain standing in the world.

The last thing they need is constant turmoil over an ex POTUS

The OLC opinion is just that an opinion. There is noting in law that says a presiddnt can't be charged. You'd hope someone would test this opinion at some point in the future. While the office of president of the United States should be respected and shown the appropriate respect it shouldn't be a cover to insulate someone from crimes that person is guilty of.

I can easily see trump not go to the inauguration if he loses. It's not unheard of as it has happened, if rarely since Washington was sworn in.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Getting a bit ahead of yourselves. No charges have been brought, never mind found against him. The likelihood is he will be allowed off without any fuss. The last thing anybody will want is to be dealing with Trump cases for years. It will only end of badly for the US no matter what the outcome.

If Biden wins, he will be busy trying to deal with a pandemic, recession and trying to regain standing in the world.

well he's an unidicted co-conspirator in the SDNY case involving Michael cohen. He's only unidicted because he's the president.

• Advertisement

Leroy42 wrote: »

He's already listed as a person of interest in convictions of associates such as Michael Cohen: https://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2018/08/22/cohen-plea-deal-trump-watergate-prosecutor

Turmoil is exactly what Trump tried to do when he got in remember. Trump was trying to have Hillary investigated for email related crimes, and got swept up himself, which became Russiagate. She's still involved in court proceedings about this, while a separate yet-another-investigation into her wrapped up in January, empty-handed. So it wouldn't be that outrageous to hold Trump to the law as well.

The OLC opinion is just that an opinion. There is noting in law that says a presiddnt can't be charged. You'd hope someone would test this opinion at some point in the future. While the office of president of the United States should be respected and shown the appropriate respect it shouldn't be a cover to insulate someone from crimes that person is guilty of.

I can easily see trump not go to the inauguration if he loses. It's not unheard of as it has happened, if rarely since Washington was sworn in.

Well the reason being that really we expect Congress to act appropriately when these crimes come to light. However we all know what happened in January, with Republicans defending the president using circular logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭briany

I really don't think arresting and prosecuting Trump the day after he finishes his term would be a good idea. That's not to say that Trump doesn't deserve legal action, but an incoming Biden administration would have to be seriously careful about the whole business. They'd be running a serious risk of making a political martyr out of Trump and it would not be an action that calms the tensions or heals the division but rather inflames both. It would be better for Biden and his cabinet to really work on making positive changes to the lives of the US electorate and through this force Trumpian voices into a land of political irrelevance.

I would love to agree, but that is the exact approach Obama tried and look where it has got them. They're doomed if they don't learn from their mistakes, and need to fight fire with fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,811 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

With both parties in both senate and congress agreeing on two issues, the funding for the fight against Covid-19 and the removal of Confederate icons contained in the funding for the Military, it would appear that the GOP in the senate have thrown off Trump's control, if they are not throwing him under the bus. The writing is on the wall for him. I'm a bit surprised that the GOP couldn't get their hide-saving act together yesterday totally and agree on the funding for the unemployed before it runs out leaving families in hock as the deal protecting them on the rent cover also lapses, due to GOP infighting.

Following that up is the CDC advice about the re-opening of schools for children under 12 [it's rider being the "uncontrolled transmission" of the virus] and the position taken by mayors in some cities to order the public schools under their legal control are to stay shut until it's safe to re-open them. Epidemiologists in the U.S are giving similar advice.

IMO, the key words in the battle over whom has the final say over re-opening schools are "uncontrolled transmission" ref the virus. Trump refusing to see the truth of that will be the final act before he's overthrown by Mitch & Co, especially if judges overturn any form of executive order from Trump on the opening of schools. It's certain now that transmission of the virus is not controlled, its uncontrollable, just delayable. The CDC, Drs Redfield, Fauci and Birx, and all the other medics, are all trying to lessen the flow between other people and that's the sum total of all they can do with masks, lock-downs and intensive care beds until an anti-virus drug comes into common use against it. Dr Birx was all but shouting "don't open the schools" yesterday at parents in the cities she was visiting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,811 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Trump won't like the input to U.S voters from this gent one little bit. The head of the American counterintelligence agency has warned US voters to watch out for foreign interference ahead of the upcoming presidential election.

Voters should screen information and check online sources, the director of the National Counterintelligence and Security (NCSC) said.

William Evanina also told the public to “consume information with a critical eye” in his rare warning on Friday.

He said that with just over 100 days until election day, it was “imperative” his agency shared with voters some of the information about possible interference that US spies have already given to campaigns and legislators.

“The American public has a role to play in securing the election, particularly in maintaining vigilance against foreign influence,” said the NCSC chief, who directs the counterintelligence branch of the Office of the Director of National Intelligence.

“At the most basic level, we encourage Americans to consume information with a critical eye, check out sources before reposting or spreading messages, practice good cyber hygiene and media literacy, and report suspicious election-related activity to authorities,” Mr Evanina added in a statement.

The link to above is on the MSN page, however I got the link below as a double-cert.

https://www.msn.com/en-in/news/world/2020-us-election-us-counterspy-gives-rare-warning-on-foreign-meddling-in-polls/ar-BB179hDI

Alright, I've been happily following along with the Lincoln Project's efforts but this I did not see coming. Well done lads. Top marks. Laughed out loud.

https://twitter.com/ProjectLincoln/status/1286687854823903232?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,668 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The NY Times had a good article last year on Trumps legal problems. At the time he had 17 pending legal cases that couldnt proceed because he is president. Its everything from the Stormy Daniels hush money right up to collusion with Russia and that meeting in Trump Towers between the Russian lawyer/spy and Trumps sons looking for dirt on Hillary. Colluding with a foreign adversary for electoral gain is a federal crime.

If Trump loses in November then power hands over on January the 20th. At that point sealed indictments can finally get opened up. As Trump himself might say they are going to be the best sealed indictments ever and many people are going to be talking about them.

The cases against Trump vary from civil suits for sexual assault and rape and paying hush money to porn stars all the way up to federal crimes of collusion with Russia. Trump has claimed victory in the Mueller investigation many times. But for anyone who has been following this we are only at half-time in the game. Bob Mueller refused to answer the question on whether or not the Trump campaign colluded with Russia. He is on record as not answering questions as to whether or not Trump has committed a federal crime.

Ive always taken it from Muellers responses that Trump and his campaign committed federal crimes but the FBI cannot yet charge them with it. I think Mueller and the FBI have Trump by the balls here and sealed indictments are waiting for him. Now Im open to correction but AFAIK in order to get a sealed indictment the case first has to go before a Grand Jury consisting of 12 citizens who examine the evidence and vote on whether or not it is deserving of a full trial. Indictment by Grand Jury shows us that there is actually a case to be answered and it isnt just spurious.

I think the main question now is do those sealed indictments get opened up on Jan 21st 2021 or on Jan 21st 2025. All the polls say its gong to be January 2021. It will be nothing to do with Biden or his campaign and more to do with lots of justice agencies from the FBI to the SDNY doing their regular jobs.

If that happens then Im predicting there is going to be a brand new idiom introduced into the American political vernacular. It will be called a "January Surprise" and it will refer to a President who acted illegally to get into office in the first place and then behaves illegally whilst in that office and then faces criminal charges the very day he leaves that same office. Bob Mueller is no schmuck and he has Trumps number.

Mueller specifically said, if Trump was not the sitting President he would have already been indicted for his activities.

• Advertisement

Not much about the 4 executive orders in the media.

Insulin cost reduced by 66% for some. EpiPen cost reductions. Retailers being forced to pass on price savings to consumers.
    Many others.
    Making crucial health care medicines and products cheaper for all Americans young and old.

You will see articles about Trump eating fast food or how he drinks from a water bottle though.

Media is pathetic

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement