Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,513 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

trump campaign 'laundering' finance funds on a massive scale

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/z3ewny/trump-campaign-laundering-campaign-finance-money-election-watchdog-says
    Senior Trump campaign officials, the complaint alleges, have “disguised over $170 million dollars of campaign spending by laundering the funds through firms headed by Trump’s recent campaign manager, Brad Parscale” and other Trump campaign officials—including Sean Dollman, the Trump campaign’s director of operations, and Alex Cannon, a special counsel to the campaign. (Parscale, who was recently demoted, has a new role as senior campaign adviser for data and digital operations.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭banie01

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

banie01 wrote: »

Shows the double standard through - Snr shared the same tweet and his account wasn't restricted

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Just so the lede isn't buried here, the post being shared comes from a doctor who believes the following, quoting the Guardian which quotes the Daily Beast ...
    Immanuel, a pediatrician and a religious minister, has a history of making bizarre claims about medical topics and other issues. She has often claimed that gynecological problems like cysts and endometriosis are in fact caused by people having sex in their dreams with demons and witches.

She alleges alien DNA is currently used in medical treatments, and that scientists are cooking up a vaccine to prevent people from being religious. And, despite appearing in Washington, D.C. to lobby Congress on Monday, she has said that the government is run in part not by humans but by ‘reptilians’ and other aliens.

Here's the intellectual bar the Trumps live within. Fools and charlatans to a man (the women who knows, they seem to keep their heads down). Maybe jr. hopes this toadying up to dad might get him some respect?

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Shows the double standard through - Snr shared the same tweet and his account wasn't restricted

They've openly stated the POTUS is getting different treatment as his statements need to be available to the public. Junior is basically another joe bloggs.

• Advertisement

100% agree, it could well be a far more pointed shot across Sr's now in regards to his posting standards perhaps?

Also, if this link is in any way true? It really highlights what a childish, petulant and narcissistic Ass he is!

Making up his invite to throw a 1st pitch to ensure he's the story rather than Fauci.
    https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/trump-made-up-invitation-to-throw-out-first-pitch-at-yankees-game-to-outshine-fauci

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭eldamo

pixelburp wrote: »
    Just so the lede isn't buried here, the post being shared comes from a doctor who believes the following, quoting the Guardian which quotes the Daily Beast ...

Here's the intellectual bar the Trumps live within. Fools and charlatans to a man (the women who knows, they seem to keep their heads down). Maybe jr. hopes this toadying up to dad might get him some respect?

That just seems to be the done thing these days, search for something that agrees with what you already believe and post it regardless of if it makes any sense or the credibility of the source.

A facebook friend from pensylvania shared a John Waters video ranting about facemasks, this was basically under the heading, this Irish guy believes in us (also bizarrely "respect your elders" mentioned a lot).

I was goaded into responding to give a feeling of the high regard that irish people hold mr waters in....

I have now been unfriended, enjoy your echo chamber lady.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,696 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

It has nothing to do with respect from Papa, it has to be with filling the zone with noise (I think that is the phrase?)

Not sure if I believe it if Trup is saying it, but hold on, I saw a few other tweets about it so it must be true!

All it is about is to try to muddy to debate. Get people debating hyrdo or whatever miracle sure, rather than the numbers themselves, the failure of the reopening that Trump pushed so hard on.

Give people that are seeing the economy collapse and the cases soar and give them the belief that it will all be over soon, if only the deep state, China, Merkel, the Blues Brothers or possibly the native indians would just stop controlling everything.

It is actually quite an admission, although of course they do not see it that ay and either do their supporters, that after nearly 4 years of being POTUS, Trump is totally powerless. Not exactly what you need from a leader.

If they really believe this whole deep state stuff, they surely it doesn't matter who the POTUS is. Biden, Clinton, the Rock. They, like Trump, will be totally at the mercy of the deep state and unable even to get a vaccine onto the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Think there's a law regarding records of public statements by the president that means they cant just give him the banhammer outright not to mention the drama hence why they've begun flagging his tweets with misinformation warnings etc.

Trumpy JR doesnt have that defence so into the sinbin he goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,835 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

robinph wrote: »
    Has Trump been deleting his own tweets or was Twitter doing it? Seems to be a few disappeared from his feed today.

By twitter. They also suspended Don Jr's account for 12 hours.

• Advertisement

Trump, Mnuchin etc.'s handling of the Paycheck Protection Program has been stellar

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/07/28/florida-ppp-coronavirus-lamborghini/
    Before May 13, David T. Hines’s corporate bank account was in the red by more than $30,000. But after the 29-year-old Florida man nabbed a nearly $4 million loan from the federal Paycheck Protection Program (PPP), his fortunes quickly changed.

In fact, just one week after receiving money from the fund meant to bail out businesses affected by the coronavirus pandemic, Hines was cruising around Miami Beach in a new blue Lamborghini Huracán EVO, which cost more than $318,000.

Now, federal prosecutors say Hines illegally used hundreds of thousands of dollars in PPP loans meant for his moving companies to buy the car as well as a host of personal expenses, including shopping sprees and high-end hotel stays, instead of covering his companies’ payroll. The Justice Department announced Monday he was arrested and charged with making false statements to a lending institution, bank fraud and engaging in transactions in unlawful proceeds, officials said.

“Collectively, Hines falsely claimed his companies paid millions of dollars in payroll in the first quarter of 2020,” Bryan Masmela, a U.S. Postal inspector, said in an affidavit. “State and bank records, however, show little to no payroll expense during this period.”

“David is a legitimate business owner who, like millions of Americans, suffered financially during the Pandemic,” said Chad Piotrowski, Hines’s attorney, in a statement to The Washington Post. “While the allegations appear very serious, especially in light of the Pandemic, David is anxious to tell his side of the story when the time comes.”

Hines was among millions of business owners who sought government help when the novel coronavirus upended the U.S. economy. The Cares Act, the $2 trillion coronavirus bill signed into law in late March, included $349 billion in forgivable loans for small businesses to maintain operating expenses, such as payroll. Congress added an additional $310 billion in funding in April.

Hines’s arrest is the latest case of alleged fraud to beset the program, with business owners inflating employee numbers and claiming higher operating costs. Some even claimed loans for defunct companies. Federal prosecutors have filed numerous charges, including against reality star Maurice “Mo” Fayne, who allegedly spent his funds on a Rolls-Royce and $85,000 in jewelry.

An analysis from The Washington Post also found that data from the Small Business Administration recorded far more American workers were “retained” thanks to the loans allocated to the businesses than there were actual employees, calling into question the Trump administration’s claim that PPP loans helped support 51 million jobs.

Hines first submitted applications for seven businesses, requesting more than $13.5 million worth of loans from a bank in Charlotte, prosecutors said. The bank approved three of the applications for $3.9 million and began sending the funds on May 11.

Hines claimed to own and operate a handful of moving companies, but Masmela said authorities “found no record of any operating websites” for those businesses. Hines also falsely claimed he had 70 employees, prosecutors said.

Prosecutors said his payroll costs were far less than he claimed.

“A review of Hines Companies Accounts from January through April of 2020 shows monthly inflows averaging around $200,000 — far less than the millions of dollars in payroll that Hines sought in the PPP application,” Masmela said.

It didn’t take long for Hines to exploit the funds for his own enjoyment, prosecutors said. On May 18, just five days after receiving a deposit for almost $750,000 in one of the bank accounts, Hines allegedly wired $320,000 for the Lamborghini, registering the car under both his name and one of the companies that received a PPP loan.

Throughout May and June, Hines also spent the funds on a $4,600 shopping spree at Saks Fifth Avenue. In addition to ride-hailing apps, food delivery services and dating websites, Hines spent thousands on luxury hotels as well as more than $8,500 worth of jewelry, prosecutors say.

“There does not appear to be any business purposes for most, if not all, of these expenses,” Masmela said in the affidavit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,612 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Trump reads the script at the Covid 19 briefing but loses it in the Q & A. backing Hydoxychloroquine.

I haven’t watched it myself, I needed a break after the Barr circus. But reportedly he took time to complain that Fauci has higher ratings than him.

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/trump-asks-at-covid-briefing-why-fauci-has-a-high-approval-rating-but-he-doesnt/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,612 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Really pissed off with Fauci, esp when he threw in the ball at the basebell. Trump 'nobody likes me'
    God it was pathetic

Overheal wrote: »
    I haven’t watched it myself, I needed a break after the Barr circus. But reportedly he took time to complain that Fauci has higher ratings than him.

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/trump-asks-at-covid-briefing-why-fauci-has-a-high-approval-rating-but-he-doesnt/

I watched the Barr hearing with my son, who at times was incandescently apoplectic at some of the justification that Barr trotted out.
    The democrats were thrown off by Jim Jordan's showboat opening but the difference in Barr's demeanour when being questioned or chastised by certain democrats was quite marked IMO.

The performance of the Rep's and Barr in this, it stinks of enablement.

Water John wrote: »
    Really pissed off with Fauci, esp when he threw in the ball at the basebell. Trump 'nobody likes me'
    God it was pathetic

Yeah I’ve been reading about his Yankees baseball envy and Fauci it’s really sad. He can’t let ANYTHING go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,811 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

God it was pathetic

He also had a go at Dr Birx, which might explain why she's been given the honour of not having to share the stage with him at the presentations lately. That the ratings reference trust on medical matters and not his presidential re-election standing doesn't register as a fact with Trump and that's very telling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,811 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

banie01 wrote: »
    I watched the Barr hearing with my son, who at times was incandescently apoplectic at some of the justification that Barr trotted out.
    The democrats were thrown off by Jim Jordan's showboat opening but the difference in Barr's demeanour when being questioned or chastised by certain democrats was quite marked IMO.

The performance of the Rep's and Barr in this, it stinks of enablement.

With most of the GOP heads spending time lauding the police and the A.G to fill up their appearance time on the TV screens wasting congress time and Barr talking about the violent protestors in Lafayette, I spent time channel-hopping. One thing that no one has ever bothered asking Trump and Barr is why he had to walk to the church instead of motor over to it and avoid all the hassle to his fellow citizens, presumably due to his feeling of lese majesty.

God it was pathetic

Well, his new 'considered' approach didn't last long. After reading through a list, or a number of lists really, of fairly meaningless numbers he finally got asked some questions and completely fell apart.

The 'why do people like Fauci more than me' line is the real reason for all this. He doesn't care about the deaths, the citizens. He only cares that, according to him, he isn't getting the kudos that he deserves.

That's it. He is jealous of Fauci. The POTUS is making decisions based on trying to be the most popular kid in school.

I can't, at the moment anyway, think of any other politician that let their facade fall away so quickly under so little duress - P Flynn comes to mind I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Well, his new 'considered' approach didn't last long. After reading through a list, or a number of lists really, of fairly meaningless numbers he finally got asked some questions and completely fell apart.

The 'why do people like Fauci more than me' line is the real reason for all this. He doesn't care about the deaths, the citizens. He only cares that, according to him, he isn't getting the kudos that he deserves.

That's it. He is jealous of Fauci. The POTUS is making decisions based on trying to be the most popular kid in school.

I can't, at the moment anyway, think of any other politician that let their facade fall away so quickly under so little duress - P Flynn comes to mind I suppose.

He lasted what, four days or so of press conferences before he fell asunder?

Even the Rasmussen daily polling shows the hit he's taken in the last few days

Early last week his approval rating had improved , he even got to parity at 49% Approve/Disprove on Wednesday , then he went back to his self-centred rambling and he's back to a 9 point gap.

And that's not yet taking into account yesterdays outbursts , we'll see that impact later today..

His ability to shoot himself in the foot is truly awe inspiring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭abff

Tucker Carlson really is a piece of work. I've just listened to the attached and he is so full of it, I felt like putting my fist through the screen. https://www.mediaite.com/tv/tucker-carlson-on-sites-pulling-covid-video-trump-shared-enraged-dems-want-to-keep-people-scared-so-biden-wins/

His basic message is that the Democrats are trying to make the pandemic worse in order to win the election. He seemed to think that a group of doctors wearing white coats someone made them more professional and believable. And he included a couple of sound bites from one of these doctors, Dr. Stella Immanuel, who has a history of baseless medical claims, including claiming that some gynecological issues are caused by sex with demons and spirits.

Here's an extract from a report on yesterday's press briefing, which provides a bit more information about Dr Immanuel.

CNN’s Kaitlan Collins asked Trump about promoting the video showing Dr. Stella Immanuel claim there is a cure for Covid-19.

“The woman you said was a ‘great doctor’ in that video that you retweeted last night said that ‘masks don’t work’ and ‘there is a cure for Covid-19′ — both of which health experts say is not true,” Collins said. “She’s also made videos saying that doctors make medicine using DNA from aliens, and that they’re trying to create a vaccine to make you immune from becoming religious.

Trump interjected.

“Maybe it’s the same, maybe it’s not,” Trump said. “But I can tell you this: She was on air along with many other doctors. They were big fans of hydroxychloroquine. And I thought she was very impressive in the sense that — from where she came, I don’t know which country she comes from — but she says she’s had tremendous success with hundreds of different patients. And I thought her voice was an important voice, but I know nothing about her.”

When a follow up question was asked, he left the press briefing without responding. How can anyone still support this pathetic buffoon?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

When even Rasmussen can't paper over Trump's polled support, things must be dire. I don't envy the remaining white house lackeys trying to fudge those numbers for Trump's daily A4 sheet of "the world loves you sir, no no they're saying 'Boo-urns'". Then again those still working there are probably the sycophantic ladder climbers hoping for an eventual spot in the GOP slush fund, so my sympathy is limited enough.

Trump's whiny rant about Dr. Fauci being more popular than truly is a pathetic sight for a grown man, never mind a sitting president of a country. Death and a collapsing economy and he can't man up for 30 seconds to present a semblance of maturity. It's the moaning of my 4 year old niece, cribbing that her sister got more chips than her. If this is supposed to be an alpha male then I'm more than happy to be a "liberal cuck"

abff wrote: »
    Trump interjected.

“Maybe it’s the same, maybe it’s not,” Trump said. “But I can tell you this: She was on air along with many other doctors. They were big fans of hydroxychloroquine. And I thought she was very impressive in the sense that — from where she came, I don’t know which country she comes from — but she says she’s had tremendous success with hundreds of different patients. And I thought her voice was an important voice, but I know nothing about her.”
    [/I]

When a follow up question was asked, he left the press briefing without responding. How can anyone still support this pathetic buffoon?

In other words, 'I found a doctor that agrees with me so I reposted it. I have no idea about her, no idea who she is, what she does, or anything else, the only thing I looked for was a white coat and that they agree with me!'

Its either that or he does know all the stuff about her, which is even worse.

So POTUS is spreading conspiracy theories against his own administration.

That is the bit I don't get. All this Trump supporters saying mask-wearing is forced control, that the virus is a hoax, Fauci is fraud et etc.

Don't they see that if they believe any of that they are saying that Trump is either directly involved, or totally out of the picture?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,677 ✭✭✭✭looksee

So there are two women that Trump approves of - possibly three if you count Melania - but the other two are a woman who claims that illnesses can be caused by sex with demons, and the other enables demons to have sex with children.

Unfortunately he has been climbing all week in economist model

https://projects.economist.com/us-2020-forecast/president

That's an interesting model - They do show him picking up a little ,but still way short of the required EC votes.

Even their modeling range shows his absolute upper limit being just over the threshold for victory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

It's a sad indictment though of the society to think that staying on script for 4 days is enough to bump your numbers isn't it. The serious short term memory of the US population is astounding.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

It's a sad indictment though of the society to think that staying on script for 4 days is enough to bump your numbers isn't it. The serious short term memory of the US population is astounding.

Indeed , and large sections of the media are responsible for that.

Every time he speaks and doesn't completely sh!t the bed the media start talking about a "new tone" or " A more sombre , focused President" and every time they talk about this magical shift in his behaviour it lasts at most a few days and he's back to the same tripe and they look stupid.

Yet they KEEP falling for it.

• Advertisement

Indeed , and large sections of the media are responsible for that.

Every time he speaks and doesn't completely sh!t the bed the media start talking about a "new tone" or " A more sombre , focused President" and every time they talk about this magical shift in his behaviour it lasts at most a few days and he's back to the same tripe and they look stupid.

Yet they KEEP falling for it.

I'm not sure it's fair to criticise the media in that situation as they are "damned if they do, damned if they don't". If they fail to comment on the change, he will whinge about how the fake news media are out to get him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement