Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,865 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The white House has strongly condemned China for announcing it is delaying the HK administrative elections that are due in October.

Less than 24hrs after Trump floated the idea of trying the same in the States.

It's actually tragically ironic.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/07/31/white-house-condemns-hong-kong-election-delay-389504
    “This action undermines the democratic processes and freedoms that have underpinned Hong Kong’s prosperity,”

Wonder how she feels about her boss wanting to do the same thing in the US?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭amandstu

banie01 wrote: »
    The white House has strongly condemned China for announcing it is delaying the HK administrative elections that are due in October.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/07/31/white-house-condemns-hong-kong-election-delay-389504

Indeed but in point of fact was there ever anything the UK ,or any one else could have done to enforce the 'One country ,two systems agreement"?

Was it not agreed to because China saw it as in its own interest and was always prepared to terminate it at a moment's notice?

I think the fear with the Trump set is that they will attempt to muddy the results and play for time if the results are any way close.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

banie01 wrote: »

Kayleigh couldn't care less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Kayleigh couldn't care less.

Speaking of the current press secretary I see her family took money from the PPP fund. In shocking news the fund seems to have abused by many companies who didn't need to money. Didn't trump say he'd be the oversight to it or was that another large lump of money ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Speaking of the current press secretary I see her family took money from the PPP fund. In shocking news the fund seems to have abused by many companies who didn't need to money. Didn't trump say he'd be the oversight to it or was that another large lump of money ?

Shocked I am. I'd be flabbergasted if these companies had connections with Trump or were donors to his campaign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,836 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The mishandle of the PPP has been infuriating and I don’t think there’s rightly been enough digestible press covering it. At this stage it would make a good 60 minutes segment. Back when it happened:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/07/trump-removes-independent-watchdog-for-coronavirus-funds-upending-oversight-panel-171943

We knew it would be a disaster. Between business owners using the funds to buy Lamborghini’s and **** and people linked to the administration fattening their wallets there sure aren’t a whole lot of workers paychecks being protected. What the hell did I owe a grand on tax day for, so people could buy sports cars and his buddies could build already-dilapidating sections of “wall?” :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,709 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

In case you need to see what 3.5 years of #IMPOTUS regime has done to the US economy in a handy graph format:

gdp.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,603 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Igotadose wrote: »
    In case you need to see what 3.5 years of #IMPOTUS regime has done to the US economy in a handy graph format:

gdp.jpg

Paying for the tax cut was based on growing GDP well outside of the expert predictions.

Now with COVID19, and that 33% GDP drop announced, the tax cut is burying them deeper and deeper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

gdp.jpg

The most interesting part of that graph for me is that the economy was already diving in Q4 2019, long before Covid...

On a separate note, I'm finding that keeping up with two almost identically- focused politics forum threads related to Trump's presidency is a chore. Why are there two?

• Advertisement

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    The most interesting part of that graph for me is that the economy was already diving in Q4 2019, long before Covid...

That was the oil crash, and imo the ineffectiveness of the #IMPOTUS regime to do anything other than juice the S&P index.

That was the oil crash, and imo the ineffectiveness of the #IMPOTUS regime to do anything other than juice the S&P index.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,374 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

On a separate note, I'm finding that keeping up with two almost identically- focused politics forum threads related to Trump's presidency is a chore. Why are there two?

Think one is not in the politics forum so posters can say things there that wouldn’t be allowed here. It’s technically about just the election but in reality it’s much the same as here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

salmocab wrote: »
    Think one is not in the politics forum so posters can say things there that wouldn’t be allowed here. It’s technically about just the election but in reality it’s much the same as here.

No, one is specifically about the election and who could beat Trump, the second is all about the Trump Presidency although at this stage so close to the election they have converged. Both are in the Politics forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,374 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Roanmore wrote: »
    No, one is specifically about the election and who could beat Trump, the second is all about the Trump Presidency although at this stage so close to the election they have converged. Both are in the Politics forum

There’s another one in current affairs/imho that was about the election. It’s on it’s second thread now.

salmocab wrote: »
    There’s another one in current affairs/imho that was about the election. It’s on it’s second thread now.

The one Im referring to is "[U.S.] Beating/Losing to Trump in 2020 for The Dems" which is also in the Politics forum.

sure, we'll leave it to the Mods to sort out..

What oil crash in Q4 2019?

EdIT: I misread the chart - I interpreted Q1/2020 as Q4/2019.. My bad..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

gdp.jpg

The thing about that graph too? It's perfect for A4 printouts so exactly the size digestible to someone as incurious and resistant to information as Trump. This is data on his level, and there's simply no way to dress up a graph that catastrophic. Especially for someone quite vocal about Big Picture economic data like the GDP or Wall St numbers.

TBH this is entering " wounded animal" territory. There's an argument that Trump is politically finished but now the question becomes whether the GOP support his inevitable tirades and attempts to mess with the election or if they simply lick their wounds and make lip service support for the moribund president. The issue isn't if Trump accepts defeat gracefully, it's whether the GOP does too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Cody montana

gdp.jpg

I wonder what the next quarter will look like?
    It’s just before the election.

pixelburp wrote: »
    The thing about that graph too? It's perfect for A4 printouts so exactly the size digestible to someone as incurious and resistant to information as Trump. This is data on his level, and there's simply no way to dress up a graph that catastrophic. Especially for someone quite vocal about Big Picture economic data like the GDP or Wall St numbers.

TBH this is entering " wounded animal" territory. There's an argument that Trump is politically finished but now the question becomes whether the GOP support his inevitable tirades and attempts to mess with the election or if they simply lick their wounds and make lip service support for the moribund president. The issue isn't if Trump accepts defeat gracefully, it's whether the GOP does too.

For me, the big issue to be discussed is Q4 2019. If you were to put similar 2020 GDP graphs for UK, EU, Germany etc side by side with this one from US, I'm not sure you'd see them fare much better than US. That's the economic chaos we've all experienced in 2020 showing up.

But Q4 2019? That's down to the US economy, and that's down to Trump's management. That's the focus that's needed- long before Covid, Trump's economy was in the toilet. In some respects, the Covid related decline is doing him a big favour, in that the dreadful Q4 performance is being eclipsed by world events.

EdIT: I misread the chart - I interpreted Q1/2020 as Q4/2019.. My bad..

• Advertisement

I wonder what the next quarter will look like?
    It’s just before the election.

I dunno how the math works for that, like would it reflect the snap-back and look wildly positive, I don’t know.

2 politics threads: one was always about the election, the other is about the term(s) in office. The convergence is being within 100 days from the election, and, everything Trump and the GOP are doing is geared toward election. CA/IMHO is less relevant to this: that place is the square and this place is the library as far as intended modus operandi of either forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Overheal wrote: »
    I dunno how the math works for that, like would it reflect the snap-back and look wildly positive, I don’t know.

2 politics threads: one was always about the election, the other is about the term(s) in office. The convergence is being within 100 days from the election, and, everything Trump and the GOP are doing is geared toward election. CA/IMHO is less relevant to this: that place is the square and this place is the library as far as intended modus operandi of either forum.

Whatever happens, he can’t currently run on the economy.
    It’s in utter chaos.
    Biden needs to talk about what happened under his time as Vice President.

Didn’t trump promise 4-5% growth?

You're reading it wrong, only every 2nd quarter is labelled so there was still growth in Q4 2019.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Just for the record the president mentioned Alabama yesterday when talking about a hurricane impacting Florida and like the last time Alabama will not in any way be impacted by the hurricane but I seems trump mentioned it again. So if we seem sharpie doctored official hurricane forecasts we know who's to blame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

So in an interview Trump says people say you can test too much. The interviewer says, who says that? The reply: "Read the manuals, read the books".

Would love to see a copy of that manual.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Just for the record the president mentioned Alabama yesterday when talking about a hurricane impacting Florida and like the last time Alabama will not in any way be impacted by the hurricane but I seems trump mentioned it again. So if we seem sharpie doctored official hurricane forecasts we know who's to blame.

No you’re seeing resurfaced media from SharpieGate which was a last year or 2018 I think.

Unless he’s being that stupid twice and I’m still behind the times.

You're reading it wrong, only every 2nd quarter is labelled so there was still growth in Q4 2019.

gdp2q20_adv_chart.png

Indeed Q1 and Q2 were negative. Q4 was positive.

However it’s never surpassed 3% annual growth, for any 4 quarters period under Trump. This was something Trump and Tea Party Republicans used as a talking point against Obama constantly, and promised as a result of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act. Funny though I could never get my Congressman to shut up about the GDP before Trump took office and now I can’t get him to remember the GDP is a metric that exists!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,678 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Nothing much happened in the first quarter of 2020 in the US in connection with Covid though, so unless it did a staggering plunge at the very end of March, what caused that drop?

This is interesting https://www.justsecurity.org/69650/timeline-of-the-coronavirus-pandemic-and-u-s-response/ I don't know anything about just security but mediabias describes them as center left and 'rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record'.

Ah, OK. I am reading it wrong. I took the Q1 bar as being Q4 as Q1 wasn't labelled... Should have gone to Specsavers!!!

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    Nothing much happened in the first quarter of 2020 in the US in connection with Covid though, so unless it did a staggering plunge at the very end of March, what caused that drop?

This is interesting https://www.justsecurity.org/69650/timeline-of-the-coronavirus-pandemic-and-u-s-response/ I don't know anything about just security but mediabias describes them as center left and 'rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record'.

That's a great timeline summary... It's frightening how much spinning and gaslighting the Trump admin has done on this when you see the facts laid out like this...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement