Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,048 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Platform thats historically supportive of him?

Anyway, **** me what an absolute dumpster fire of an interview. It was almost a parody for large parts, an SNL skit could not do any better.

His answer on the John Lewis question is everything you need to know about Donald John Trump.

The rest, jeez what an absolute cluster**** of an interview. Surely they have to stop him doing these? I know he will of course think the interview went incredibly well, that he did a great job because in his mind he is not capable of doing any less than a great job, but is there nobody can stop him embarrassing himself and his party, and his supporters?

I have a theory that his handlers have been told to let him loose. The gloves are off and the GOP want him gone. They are scared at the real proposition of losing the house senate and the presidency in one foul swoop.

I think he was let do that interview, probably told it would be a handy one with softball questions.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

listermint wrote: »
    I have a theory that his handlers have been told to let him loose. The gloves are off and the GOP want him gone. They are scared at the real proposition of losing the house senate and the presidency in one foul swoop.

I think he was let do that interview, probably told it would be a handy one with softball questions.

But if he loses in a landslide , he'll take dozens of other GOP seats with him across the House and Senate.

If we start to see any murmurings of the "Counter-balance vote" argument coming from the Senate campaigns then we know they have really cut him loose.

I don't disagree that they seem to be resigned to losing , it partly explains why they are dithering over the new bail-out package.

On the one hand , they need the bail-out to push for re-election , but on the other , they seem to be preparing to kill the economy so that they hand Biden an absolute turd of an economy.

I think they actually aren't sure which way to go, hence all the interminable delay..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭briany

American Republicans are weaponising ignorance and stupidity for their own political gains, but it's a strategy which will eat them alive in the end. They knowingly grew that Tea Party movement and it has now burgeoned into something out of their control - a breakaway faction that does not conform to traditional American conservatism and threatens to rend their party in two.

That ad above that Trump retweeted - yes, it's outrageous and probably a ploy to distract and divide, but it does have an element of truth to it. Trump may well be given the boot in November, but Trumpism will live on, and candidates in the Trump mold will try their hand at leveraging that voting base, so long as they think it exists. Trump can even die and will live on in spirit. Wherever there is a man telling Mexicans to 'cook his f*ckin' burrito', or a woman screeching at cell tower workers that they're installing deep-state listening posts, Trump will be there, giving an A-OK sign...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,697 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

TBH, they were fairly softball questions. Any politician, actually any person with any preparation, would have easily batted those questions away.

Simply looking like you know what you are talking about goes a long way. Presenting a clear case. "
    Unfortunately deaths have risen but we are seeing the signs that the change in approach, that I led, is having an impact. i mourn for any loss of life, I certainly wish that this terrible virus had never arrived, but we are doing everything we can. We have the best testing in the world, best medical practitioners , best facilities. We have the top phara companies in the world working on a vaccine. This is a war, a war that we will win"

"yes Lewis was a great man. He did so much, not only for the black community , but for all Americans. He made us better than we were before, he left the US in a better place than it would otherwise have been. I did not agree with him on many policy issues, we had our own personal issues, but at a time such as this we can put those differences aside and welcome that this was. a man that loved America, that wanted it to be better than it was. The US has lost a great servant, but the US is more than just one man and his ideas, and ideals, will live on"

Ghislane Maxwell, I know her so I wish her safety and that she has the chance to explain. I hope that people will treat her as innocent until she she found guilty if that is the reality."

Russia, whilst it was not a specific talking point on the call, I have already reached out through our diplomatic channels to follow up on the issue and I stand ready to chase this down. Based on the information I have received I do not see that there is a case, but even the hint is enough make me stand up for our brave troops and ensure that they are protected by the might of the US, both militarily and politically"

It isn't really that hard. A few minutes preparation is all that is required.

The bar is so low for Trump that people actually think this was a difficult interview. It wasn't Paxman or anything like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,201 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Leroy42 wrote: »
    The bar is so low for Trump that people actually think this was a difficult interview. It wasn't Paxman or anything like it.

God can you imagine a Paxman Trump interview it would be glorious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

VinLieger wrote: »

Heaven forbid, Andrew Marr. That would be fantastic tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭briany

VinLieger wrote: »

I could picture Paxman just dismissing Trump about 10 minutes in. Like, he just gets so fed up with Trump's nonsense that he ends the interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭amandstu

Anyone wonder if Trump was brainwashed during his time in Russia?

When I search
    https://www.google.com/search?q=%22trump+brainwashed%22&ei=5ZkqX8PgN5Ge1fAPk_an8Ac&start=10&sa=N&ved=2ahUKEwiD57HW_IPrAhURTxUIHRP7CX4Q8NMDegQIDRA_&biw=1280&bih=631

it just comes up with people suggesting he is brainwashing his audience .

Might my scenario be plausible? Could he have been given drugs and made suggestible to one or two "useful" ideas (preferably ones that he was leaning to already)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,515 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

amandstu wrote: »
    Anyone wonder if Trump was brainwashed during his time in Russia?

When I search
    https://www.google.com/search?q=%22trump+brainwashed%22&ei=5ZkqX8PgN5Ge1fAPk_an8Ac&start=10&sa=N&ved=2ahUKEwiD57HW_IPrAhURTxUIHRP7CX4Q8NMDegQIDRA_&biw=1280&bih=631

it just comes up with people suggesting he is brainwashing his audience .

Might my scenario be plausible? Could he have been given drugs and made suggestible to one or two "useful" ideas (preferably ones that he was leaning to already)?

In short, No not in the conventional way, however his fragile ego makes him very susceptible to suggestion and coercion.

Tell them they're great and they'll do anything for you, it's the way to get any narcissist on your side

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

They could just assassinate him... Make him a martyr and get more support for the party in the process. Win Win!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

briany wrote: »
    I could picture Paxman just dismissing Trump about 10 minutes in. Like, he just gets so fed up with Trump's nonsense that he ends the interview.

Yep, I don't think Trump would be competent enough to even answer one question properly and Paxman would just walk out saying that he's not prepared to interview a toddler. With other politicians they at least know when they are losing, will try and wriggle out of a hole for a bit and then be more than happy for the change in topic. Trump would just sit there screaming that he's great and complaining about why didn't President Lincoln attend his inauguration and how he's just decided to make Washington a 12 star general and how he's always been great friends.

You can't win an argument with a 5 year old, all you can do is get up and walk away and leave them screaming to themselves.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well you would wonder what the internal polling at the GOP nerve centre is telling its leadership. The party is looking at the potentiality of being frozen out of all three branches of government for a minimum of 2 years, so one wonders if there's a list of priorities at play. Trump is historically unpopular, looks set for a wipeout at the electoral college and perhaps privately, the GOP think this for the best.

Maybe the place to look at are the contested Senate seats: is there a sense that the GOP candidates are trying to distance themselves from Trump? It'd be unheard of for the leadership to denounce its own President but maybe winks and nods at state level might give a better indication (those deep into Sunk Cost territory notwithstanding)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,865 ✭✭✭✭banie01

pixelburp wrote: »

It'd be unheard of for the leadership to denounce its own President but maybe winks and nods at state level might give a better indication (those deep into Sunk Cost territory notwithstanding)

It's already happened, at least in soft terms.
    McConnell has already suggested that those in tight races distance themselves from Trump, if they feel it would help their races.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/31/politics/senate-mcconnell-trump-firewall/index.html

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

banie01 wrote: »
    It's already happened, at least in soft terms.
    McConnell has already suggested that those in tight races distance themselves from Trump, if they feel it would help their races.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/31/politics/senate-mcconnell-trump-firewall/index.html

As I mentioned elsewhere - when you start seeing those "at-risk" Senators talking about a vote for them being a "counterbalance vote" you know they have accepted his fate and are tying to save the Senate.

They will push a line that says "Don't give the Democrats total control , you need us there to counterbalance the radical left" to try to stop people just voting Democrat all the way down the ballot.

Not a great indicator for the upcoming July Jobs report
    Private employers added just 167,000 jobs in July, as a coronavirus resurgence and renewed restrictions on certain businesses dampened the labor market's gradual recovery from the pandemic, according to the ADP National Employment Report released Wednesday.

It was well below the 1.5 million forecast by Refinitiv economists and marked a sharp drop from the 4.314 million jobs added in June.

So - Only adding about 10% of what was previously projected.

Looking at the detail of the report
    - For June , that report shows 2.4M new jobs out of the 4.3M that the Government report showed.

So if that ratio holds true, then the Federal report on Friday will show about 300k new jobs , which is bordering on statistical insignificance given the current levels of unemployment.

It's not surprising given everything that is going on , but hard to see how they spin it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Sigh. The US president is that shítposter on Boards who determines every incident a terrorist attack. Happened to Muslims? Oh, must be a terrorist thing. I mean sure, maybe these mysterious generals know something via their intelligence agencies, and felt the need to share it with Trump. But based on precedent? I wonder if these are the same generals that Trump claimed to know more about ISIS?

https://www.thejournal.ie/trump-beirut-explosion-5168155-Aug2020/
    US PRESIDENT DONALD Trump has said American military generals have told him that they “seem to feel” the massive explosion that rocked Beirut was a “terrible attack” likely caused by a bomb.

[...]

A Pentagon spokesman declined to comment on the matter last night, referring questions back to the White House.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Am I mad or does it look like at this stage he is just trying to wreck the country on the assumption that:

A: He loses in November and its the Dems who will spend years making the unpopular decisions trying to fix things.

B: He wins in November and he gets to be the one to save the nation over the next 4 years, leaving as a hero when things will have recovered.

Being the classic narcissist I'm sure he will view both options as a victory.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Am I mad or does it look like at this stage he is just trying to wreck the country on the assumption that:

A: He loses in November and its the Dems who will spend years making the unpopular decisions trying to fix things.

B: He wins in November and he gets to be the one to save the nation over the next 4 years, leaving as a hero when things will have recovered.

Either option would require him to acknowledge that things are a mess at the moment, which he doesn't, and that he'd not been doing things wonderfully for the first 4 years. He's done everything right, anything that hasn't gone right is someone elses fault, anything that someone else did right is because of him.

He isn't capable of planning a disaster to make himself look good fixing it. An arsonist who is setting out to look the hero by rescuing people from the fire has a far higher level of self awareness than Trump and ability to think ahead from one action to another.

He's not playing 3D chess, he's the pigeon.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭mikekerry

That interview may just have been more "entertaining" than the prince andrew interview!

I definitely think that Option A is something that McConnell and others are struggling with pulling the trigger on. The last thing they want to do is make good strategic decisions now only for Biden to be able to claim the benefits next year or beyond.

There's also no way Trump believes that he's going to lose.

Option B , I don't think so , it would require him to recognise that things were crap now , which he truly doesn't.

He's not lying when he talks about how great he's doing or how great the response to Covid has been , he truly believes it.

It's not true in the real world of course , but for him , it's absolutely 100% true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,815 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

He's now pushing voters in Florida to apply for and use mail-in ballots as the Florida voting system is secure. It's just coincidental that the Florida state GOP party has asked him to get voters to use mail-in ballots in Nov, nothing at all to do with ensuring the vote gets in even if voters don't have to show up in person to vote in Florida, unlike other states where he's stated there'll be massive voter fraud, using his knowledge of what happened in the past.

Whether you call it Vote by Mail or Absentee Voting, in Florida the election system is Safe and Secure, Tried and True. Florida’s Voting system has been cleaned up (we defeated Democrats attempts at change), so in Florida I encourage all to request a Ballot & Vote by Mail! #MAGA

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 4, 2020

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

aloyisious wrote: »
    (we defeated Democrats attempts at change)

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 4, 2020

Should read defeated the democrats attempts to stamp out the wanton Republican corruption at the heart of the Florida voting system.

He wants people to use mail voting because the republicans can then discount mail votes and announce it as a win for Trump. Same old **** that Jeb Bush did for his brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭eldamo

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Should read defeated the democrats attempts to stamp out the wanton Republican corruption at the heart of the Florida voting system.

He wants people to use mail voting because the republicans can then discount mail votes and announce it as a win for Trump. Same old **** that Jeb Bush did for his brother.

It really does appear to be that simple.

Straight out accuse your opposition of trying to do the very thing you try to do.

I think I would have more respect for Trump if I believed that he had a prolongued maniacal laugh after every tweet.

When he refers to opponents within the republican party as "Republicans in Name Only" (RINO) I just despair. Projecting much donny?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

He had another terrible phone call with Fox and Friends today, including this dangerous opinion:
    "If you look at children, children are almost -- and I would almost say definitely -- but almost immune from this disease." He added, "They don't have a problem. They just don't have a problem."

And about the virus:
    this thing's going away. It will go away like things go away.
    Much of the country's in really good shape." He then broadened the claim, saying, "The country's in very good shape.

Source : https://edition.cnn.com/2020/08/05/politics/fact-check-trump-fox-friends-pandemic-biden-protests/index.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

He had another terrible phone call with Fox and Friends today, including this dangerous opinion:

And about the virus:

Source : https://edition.cnn.com/2020/08/05/politics/fact-check-trump-fox-friends-pandemic-biden-protests/index.html

Btw the video of him saying that opinion about kids has been removed from Facebook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,843 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Btw the video of him saying that opinion about kids has been removed from Facebook.

Yep first time Facebook has removed a post of Trumps.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2020/08/05/trump-post-removed-facebook/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

New York attorney general called press for major National announcement tomorrow morning at 1130... interesting.

Is this it??? Do they have him???

Nah. It'll be nothing that sticks again and forgotten about when he says something stupid to move the story a few hours later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Ludo wrote: »
    New York attorney general called press for major National announcement tomorrow morning at 1130... interesting.

Is this it??? Do they have him???

Nah. It'll be nothing that sticks again and forgotten about when he says something stupid to move the story a few hours later.

It could just refer to her leading a coalition of States and Cities AGs who are fighting Trump's attempts to block asylum seekers from working... I can't see it referring to Deutche Bank or Mazars coz they're being handled by the New York County AG, Cy Vance....

But, as usual with all these teases, we'll just have to wait and see...

Edit: some scuttlebutt this morning is speculating that the announcement probably relates to an investigation into the NRA...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,201 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Edit: some scuttlebutt this morning is speculating that the announcement probably relates to an investigation into the NRA...

If it is the NRA im guessing its to do with all the russian money they've been playing with the last few years, which ill put my money on is also linked to deutsche Bank

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,618 ✭✭✭✭Water John

That 4.30 pm for us?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement