Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Water John wrote: »
    That 4.30 pm for us?

Yep!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,815 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

VinLieger wrote: »
    If it is the NRA im guessing its to do with all the russian money they've been playing with the last few years, which ill put my money on is also linked to deutsche Bank

If one was to follow that NRA train of thought, it could be a good way of washing Russian funding of the last Trump election campaign [getting rid of it's debts] as the NRA supported the campaign, but that'd be pure speculation [as of now] on my part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Yep...NRA. No Trump.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Ludo wrote: »
    Yep...NRA. No Trump.

Yep - Looks to be going after Wayne La Pierre and others for Fraud.

Fiddling the books to feather his own nest etc.

And New York Attorney General seeking to dissolve the NRA which is somewhat huge news. Ridiculous levels of corruption.
    https://www.npr.org/2020/08/06/899712823/new-york-attorney-general-moves-to-dissolve-the-nra-after-fraud-investigation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

And New York Attorney General seeking to dissolve the NRA which is somewhat huge news. Ridiculous levels of corruption.
    https://www.npr.org/2020/08/06/899712823/new-york-attorney-general-moves-to-dissolve-the-nra-after-fraud-investigation

One of the journalists asked about a precedence for dissolving an organisation like this and the Trump Foundation was given as one of the examples. Brilliant...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,515 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

That'll seriously hurt the RNC's funding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,817 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

This could help Trump through making November even more of partisan question.

Are you with us, or the people trying to take your guns?????????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

This could help Trump through making November even more of partisan question.

Are you with us, or the people trying to take your guns?????????

Except the NRA being shut down doesn't in any way change the second amendment and gun owners can set another one up and put people in place who won't allegedly use their members money in a improper way.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Dytalus

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Except the NRA being shut down doesn't in any way change the second amendment and gun owners can set another one up and put people in place who won't allegedly use their members money in a improper way.

Logically, yes. No reason another NRA couldn't be set up. Realistically?

Yeah, I can absolutely see this being used as 'evidence' of "they're coming for your guns!" The NRA will start yelling it, Trump will start yelling it, the GOP will start yelling it, and the base will lap it all up as they always do.

• Advertisement

In reality, the argument for guns being restricted was set back at least ten years if not for a generation in my view after unidentified armed police started took people from the street in Portland recently.

The wording of the 2nd amendment is;
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I added the bold but I have no doubt that such events will be used to argue against gun control. The bizarre thing is, the same people arguing against gun control were also likely, by and large, to have been in support of the actions by those forces against protesters.

Also, reality and political campaigning are only loosely related.

Trump will suggest he needs another term to prevent the @A being attacked now that the NRA is being targetted and GOP and other republicans will echo it and it could well influence some swing voters, or encourage more to vote ho might otherwise stay at home.

Edited to ad.
    2nd Amendment now trending on Twitter in US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's the optics though. The NRA has been the driving force behind many, if not most gun-related legislation and campaigns.

New York being seen as a strong liberal state now trying to shut down the NRA sends out alarm bells to gun nuts that "duh libs" are trying to take away their guns.

The NRA itself is a pseudo-government to some of these lunatics and an attack on it, is an attack on their guns.

There won't be an alternative NRA for years, lots of factions will battle it out and merge to become the biggest gun lobby in the country and while that void exists it will be filled with hysterical conservatives telling everyone to hold onto their guns because the government is coming for them.

As the man above says, GOP now running on a "we will save your guns" platform could be enough to win back the losses of the last few months.

Re-electing Trump won't prevent the NRA from being dissolved, and won't stop the government sending private militias onto the streets to attack people (it'll make it worse), but that's secondary to the message.

This is good news for gun control in the rest of planet, since the NRA can't help stick its nose outside the US. It's bad for the US though, IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,048 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Very bad timing. Wonder who's pulling her strings because this hurts the democrats. There's now something to rage against for Republicans to circle wagons

One hope on this one is that their levels of corruption when revealed might not impress their membership.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

One hope on this one is that their levels of corruption when revealed might not impress their membership.

What membership though? My understanding was that its numbers were dwindling, while "NRA TV" hardly set the world alight or had Fox/Sinclair quivering in its boots. Seems like it still had lobbying power and a large enough media presence to agitate and make itself look big. Lately though I haven't had the impression it was remotely relevant anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Cody montana

listermint wrote: »
    Very bad timing. Wonder who's pulling her strings because this hurts the democrats. There's now something to rage against for Republicans to circle wagons

Are you saying republicans are rooting for corruption?
    Oh wait!

Are you saying republicans are rooting for corruption?
    Oh wait!

Yes and they'll use it as any old tool to get their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Yes and they'll use it as any old tool to get their way.

I suppose decency and fighting corruption is now a democratic platform.

If those in charge robbed millions, I don't understand how you can defend that.

I suppose decency and fighting corruption is now a democratic platform.

If those in charge robbed millions, I don't understand how you can defend that.

Could get them in January

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

A lot depends on how people inside and outside the NRA decide to react here.

Will they all leap to LaPierres defense now that his apparently rampant malfeasance has been exposed or will they throw him to the wolves?

LaPierre isn't exactly popular , but he had political control which might now abandon him.

It seems to me that this isn't an attack on the NRA per se, but on a corrupt leadership stealing from its members. The NRA as an organisation could survive with a totally new leadership.

The 1st Trump tweet about this will tell a lot. Does he defend "Fat Cat" LaPierre or does he show support for the rank and file NRA member.

Logically it should be the latter , but when has logic applied to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    A lot depends on how people inside and outside the NRA decide to react here.

Will they all leap to LaPierres defense now that his apparently rampant malfeasance has been exposed or will they throw him to the wolves?

LaPierre isn't exactly popular , but he had political control which might now abandon him.

It seems to me that this isn't an attack on the NRA per se, but on a corrupt leadership stealing from it's members. The NRA as an organisation could survive with a totally new leadership.

The 1st Trump tweet about this will tell a lot. Does he defend "Fat Cat" LaPierre or does he show support for the rank and file NRA member.

Logically it should be the latter , but when has logic applied to him.

Trump could tweet that everyone in the NRA is a clown and everyone in the NRA would still vote for him. Simply because the alternative is much worse from their perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

If the leadership were just being taken to court, maybe. But "dissolve" will be the word which gets the right wing all riled up, and they won't really care about details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,865 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Manic Moran could probably give some better info on the NRA, but if memory serves the NRA have been haemorrhaging members as well as cash over the last few years?

A lot of members including "lifetime" members starting jumping ship to the GoA who have an even harsher stance on 2A.

Uh Oh!

There you go, applying logic to a situation where logical thinking is forbidden. ..

"Them crazy leftist Dems are trying to destroy the NRA, a great 2A champion and protector of your Constitutional rights. They're coming to take yer guns. ... yer children will be next !!"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,697 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

But those people would have been card carry GoP's anyway. THis is not really going to make much of a difference in terms of votes I would have thought.

Trump ran very hard on a platform of HC coming to take her guns in 2016. Every election it appears that GoP are the only bulwark against the imminent retraction of the 2A.

Despite numerous Dem POTUS it never actually materialises

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,617 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Uh Oh!

There you go, applying logic to a situation where logical thinking is forbidden. ..

"Them crazy leftist Dems are trying to destroy the NRA, a great 2A champion and protector of your Constitutional rights. They're coming to take yer guns. ... yer children will be next !!"

and right on cue Trump tweets exactly that

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1291435765575176192?s=19

Uh Oh!

Dear Leader is lurking in the Politics Forum! I hope the Mods can do something about it!!! :D

Nah! Not really... He's just soooo predictable!!

Leroy42 wrote: »
    But those people would have been card carry GoP's anyway. THis is not really going to make much of a difference in terms of votes I would have thought.

Trump ran very hard on a platform of HC coming to take her guns in 2016. Every election it appears that GoP are the only bulwark against the imminent retraction of the 2A.

Despite numerous Dem POTUS it never actually materialises

I'd say alot of normal republicans were possibly choosing to sit this election out because of trump. But now with a wagon circling item with an actual event to base it on , it gives them impedance to come out where as previously they had no single line issue. I see this as a bad move tbh. It's ammunition.. excuse the pun.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Christy42

I'd say alot of normal republicans were possibly choosing to sit this election out because of trump. But now with a wagon circling item with an actual event to base it on , it gives them impedance to come out where as previously they had no single line issue. I see this as a bad move tbh. It's ammunition.. excuse the pun.

Politics mean we have to let people away with fraud sits badly with me. Ammunition or not.

• Advertisement

Christy42 wrote: »
    Politics mean we have to let people away with fraud sits badly with me. Ammunition or not.

The timing isn't great for Biden.

Still, if an AG did this about, say, Greenpeace when a Democratic incumbent was taking a beating, there'd be an uproar saying it was politically motivated while others would say justice had to be served.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement