Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

For a president who keeps telling people he's all about law and order, he sure does a good job of ignoring corruption, fraud and people who may be involved in a paedophile ring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,817 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

For a president who keeps telling people he's all about law and order, he sure does a good job of ignoring corruption, fraud and people who may be involved in a paedophile ring.

The whole thing is a fallacy. Geraldo Rivera called Trump a Civil Rights Leader in an interview today.

And Rudy Giuliani was on Fox earlier calling BLM a terrorist organisation who hates white people.

For many people, the lie isn't the problem, it's the people complaining about the lie which are creating the issue. Kinda like Trumps 'we have cases only because we test' thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,817 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Ludo wrote: »
    Yep...NRA. No Trump.

I didn't know the NRA is a registered charity in NY state. It's overseen by NY state AG's charity bureau. It's possible that the bureau got wind of improper accountancy bookwork which caused the AG to launch the criminal investigation. I assume that the NRA will have it's charity licence suspended for the time being, which will hurt it's funding. As for Don's suggestion that the NRA move to Texas, that's just covering his ass politically, and not attacking it by way of a casual "speaking his mind" comment. It's noticeable that the "move state" suggestion was not to Florida.

https://www.facebook.com/Gothamist/posts/10164263954325492

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So apparently joe Biden hates god now as well as guns and the second amendment which is funny because trump is the most ungodly person in politics. The only god the guy cares about is money. That's evident by whatever the hell he was doing with holding that bible a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Not sure if you this is a hate Trump only thread because I do think he's done some good stuff by chance or otherwise but unilaterally exiting the Iran deal seems to be a huge mistake. China finalising a massive deal with Iran and extending in Lebanon, worrying.

In ten years if things continue as is, China could destroy the US economy by flooding the market with US treasury. Biden seems an appalling candidate, with great honourable dem candidates being rejected.

Does anyone here actually think Biden will tackle the emergence of an authoritarian regime on the economic and world stage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭moon2

mcsean2163 wrote: »
    Does anyone here actually think Biden will tackle the emergence of an authoritarian regime on the economic and world stage?

At least he's not the person currently enabling an authoritarian regime to emerge on the economic and world stage?

At worst Biden would simply continue in the same vein as Trump. I personally think it's unlikely that Biden will continue to erode Americas influence and soft power, so it'd have to be a step up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭briany

In ten years if things continue as is, China could destroy the US economy by flooding the market with US treasury. Biden seems an appalling candidate, with great honourable dem candidates being rejected.

I fully share your opinion - Biden is an appalling candidate. He is the very embodiment of the Democrat establishment - whitebread, safe, old and a bit corporate probably. In any other election cycle, you'd shake your head that he is the best alternative that can be put forward.

But this is an election cycle where Trump is the incumbent. A man who represents the very worst stereotypes of the United States, a complete intellectual lightweight, who doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as 'intellectual' in fact, is actively stoking divisions and hatred throughout the country, and casting doubt on the voting process, and generally acting like a raving buffoon no better than what you'd find heading up a tinpot African military regime. In the face of that, Biden seems like a godsend. That's how bad Trump is. You'd cheer on any halfway rational politician against Trump. Even if Biden was in a state of cognitive decline every bit as bad as Trump intimates, and had to be wheeled out to press briefings, he would still somehow be more dignified and presidential and be able to make more sense.

What the U.S. needs right now more than anything is stability and competent leadership, not a self-serving jackass like Trump. The further conversation about real progressive choices going forward is also a conversation that needs to be had, but it's just not a priority right now. If and when America digs itself out of that Trump-sized hole, then they can move onto better things, hopefully for them, and the rest of the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,315 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So apparently joe Biden hates god now as well as guns and the second amendment which is funny because trump is the most ungodly person in politics. The only god the guy cares about is money. That's evident by whatever the hell he was doing with holding that bible a few weeks ago.

How can anyone watch this and say "yeah I'm voting for that, I want 4 more years of it". Absolutely bananas.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    How can anyone watch this and say "yeah I'm voting for that, I want 4 more years of it". Absolutely bananas.

How? Well, I can see how this woman would. Not to say she's typical of all Trump voters. She could have been the only one like this the reporter found and was put on for entertainment value. We can only pray. Otherwise, God help America...

briany wrote: »
    How? Well, I can see how this woman would. Not to say she's typical of all Trump voters. She could have been the only one like this the reporter found and was put on for entertainment value. We can only pray. Otherwise, God help America...

I'm actually lost for words, those people are nuts. It goes a long way to explain how Trump gets away with so much. As long as he tells these clowns what they want to hear they will deny reality to keep supporting him.
    Kind of makes trying to debate them a pointless exercise. You'd be better off arguing with a turnip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,678 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'd say that icecream was a chaser to a serious number of Margaritas.

Not sure if you this is a hate Trump only thread because I do think he's done some good stuff by chance or otherwise but unilaterally exiting the Iran deal seems to be a huge mistake. China finalising a massive deal with Iran and extending in Lebanon, worrying.

I'd think this is a thread critical of Trump as a spoofer trying on the office of the U.S president for size and the U.S finding no matter how good the tailor is, Trump won't fit into the suit.

As you've mentioned the factor of chance in your evaluation, there's two factors to that chance; the first being the work of others genuinely on behalf of and for the good of the U.S. The second is mischance on the part of non-U.S persons or agencies which benefitted the U.S. to the good fortune of Trump.

When you factor in that Trump think's he's done better than any other U.S president [bar Abe Lincoln] in everything, then there's a strong chance that almost anyone else in the U.S could do a better job than Trump as president and that ]IMO] about sums up the Trump factor for the present status of the U.S.

aloyisious wrote: »

When you factor in that Trump think's he's done better than any other U.S president [bar Abe Lincoln] in everything, then there's a strong chance that almost anyone else in the U.S could do a better job than Trump as president and that ]IMO] about sums up the Trump factor for the present status of the U.S.

The main thing that Trump has taken credit for as president was the strong economic performance of the US up until mid-March or so, but conveniently enough he totally ignored the fact that the groundwork for that economy was already laid by the Obama administration, who had the unenviable task of steering the U.S. out of the 2008 Recession. Donald Trump just had to come in and cruise on that momentum which anyone could do, and also do what every Republican administration seems to do and loosen the regulations on everything, which big business of course likes. There was nothing transformative that Trump himself had done, and when his administration was tested it proved itself catastrophically inept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

aloyisious wrote: »
    I'd think this is a thread critical of Trump as a spoofer trying on the office of the U.S president for size and the U.S finding no matter how good the tailor is, Trump won't fit into the suit.

As you've mentioned the factor of chance in your evaluation, there's two factors to that chance; the first being the work of others genuinely on behalf of and for the good of the U.S. The second is mischance on the part of non-U.S persons or agencies which benefitted the U.S. to the good fortune of Trump.

Well, I followed the nomination process pretty closely and became very concerned with certain sections of the democrat party that are very pro war and anti Putin. The Clinton backed center for New American security is very troubling and a Clinton backed candidate could do even more damage in the middle East, resulting in more child deaths. Obama has a terrible foreign policy record, even domestically, people in the US die because the can't afford insulin.

There were some great candidates, my favourites...

1. Gabbard
    2. Klobuchar
    3. Bernie

Biden is completely unpredictable. If he falls under corporate democrat control, it could be awful. If he picks Kamala as VP, yikes!

Trump rambles but credit where it's due he wrote a popular book and is an American icon. He seems to act instinctively, again this worked out very badly with Iran but perhaps not so badly with China.

As a statesman, Trump is appalling. Trump is appalling on many levels but would Biden be better or worse?

I think his VP will be really important. Kamala+ Biden could be worse than Trump. Rice or Bass and Biden could be better than Trump.

Kamala was the worst potential presidential nominee on the list.

Well, Trump rambles - as a statesman

Please pardon me for taking a large degree of editing-liberty with your post.

Sticking with Trump, one thing that Trump has going for him to a large degree is consistency pre-election and post election, he's sticking with his HRC "lock her up" without charges policy when it comes to people he see's as opposing his agenda, as exampled by the Federal "troops" he had deployed in Portland, Oregon. I'm not sure any other person, inclusive of Pence, likely to occupy the oval office would take the liberties he's taken with the constitutional liberties guaranteed to U.S citizens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Trump rambles but credit where it's due he wrote a popular book and is an American icon. He seems to act instinctively, again this worked out very badly with Iran but perhaps not so badly with China.

Yeah, Tont Schwartz might not agree with you on that. He doesn't seem very literate.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

...he wrote a popular book...

Mein Kampf was a popular book.
    ...an American icon...

Perhaps but only in as much as he is emblematic of so much that's wrong in America right now. He attempts to make a virtue of ignorance, he endorses the most egregious lies, and his rise to power is in many ways the result of the endless popularity contests that now pass for TV entertainment.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Christy42

Well, I followed the nomination process pretty closely and became very concerned with certain sections of the democrat party that are very pro war and anti Putin. The Clinton backed center for New American security is very troubling and a Clinton backed candidate could do even more damage in the middle East, resulting in more child deaths. Obama has a terrible foreign policy record, even domestically, people in the US die because the can't afford insulin.

There were some great candidates, my favourites...

1. Gabbard
    2. Klobuchar
    3. Bernie

Biden is completely unpredictable. If he falls under corporate democrat control, it could be awful. If he picks Kamala as VP, yikes!

As a statesman, Trump is appalling. Trump is appalling on many levels but would Biden be better or worse?

I think his VP will be really important. Kamala+ Biden could be worse than Trump. Rice or Bass and Biden could be better than Trump.

Kamala was the worst potential presidential nominee on the list.

How has it worked out well with China? They are still growing as they have been. All that has changed is they have some public arguments.

Russia has been given monumental control over the US. To the point where they offer bounties on US troops and Trump still begs the rest of the g7 on Putin's behalf.

Biden is insanely predictable. He will be 4 more years of a successful Obama administration essentially with less charisma.

I love that you bring up insulin. One thing Trump has done on health. We will ignore all other deaths, all other failings of Obamacare trump promised to fix or indeed that he just flat attempted to remove healthcare for millions of Americans with no back ups and was only stopped by the courts. Plus the 150,000 (plus "flu" epidemic) deaths that come from Trump making an absolute disaster out of the US covid response. Biden has stated he will listen to scientists who know about disease control.

Trump has not been better for the middle East. All Trump has done is put crazier stuff on the news and ban them from being able to talk about drone strikes properly. The next president has some ground to make up since he flat out gave away the main piece of leverage they had with Israel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Speaking of popular books, Mary Trump's book has sold in a week, 1.35 million, than Art of the Deal has sold in 29 years, 1.1 million. 29 years, 1.1 million copies. Not much.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/donald-trump-mary-trump-dueling-books_n_5f28f3f1c5b656e9b09f8941

Maybe the #IMPOTUS needs to direct more campaign funds to buying his books. He's got precedent: https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-campaign-spent-55000-of-donor-funds-to-buy-thousands-of-copies-of-his-own-book-2016-8?r=US&IR=T

Igotadose wrote: »
    Speaking of popular books, Mary Trump's book has sold in a week, 1.35 million, than Art of the Deal has sold in 29 years, 1.1 million. 29 years, 1.1 million copies. Not much.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/donald-trump-mary-trump-dueling-books_n_5f28f3f1c5b656e9b09f8941

Maybe the #IMPOTUS needs to direct more campaign funds to buying his books. He's got precedent: https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-campaign-spent-55000-of-donor-funds-to-buy-thousands-of-copies-of-his-own-book-2016-8?r=US&IR=T

If you have any books one of the strongest moves you can do is to bad mouth Trump. You don't even have to do it in the book. When he gave out a out John Lewis a load of his books shot back up the best seller list. Same with anyone he badmouth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Christy42 wrote: »
    If you have any books one of the strongest moves you can do is to bad mouth Trump. You don't even have to do it in the book. When he gave out a out John Lewis a load of his books shot back up the best seller list. Same with anyone he badmouth.

Hey, he's creating business! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

To a large extent Biden is exactly what's needed.

Revolution doesn't actually work.

What Biden is, is a tonic for Trump's imperial presidency. He will kinda be out and about and (awkwardly) hugging babies, but much of the serious work is going to be done by his cabinet.
    This is very different to the Clinton campaign. Biden seems self-aware enough and cognisant of the importance of winning this presidency at this time, with growing fascism and the onset of climate change. He seems to see this job not just as something that's owed to him but as a responsibility. He obliterated everyone in the primaries. You could well have imagined him or another candidate who received that kind of mandate just telling the left of the party to **** off, but instead he's gone out of his way to accommodative them, and has shifted his platform quite dramatically to the left, given where he started.

From a policy perspective, I'm sure I won't be a huge fan, because the Dems are too statist and too corporatist by turns for my liking, but from a competency and technical perspective, I think this is going to be as skilled and experienced a regime as we've seen in a very long time.

As important as the individual of the president is, a united front, at a time when there's serious momentum to control all three elected branches of federal government, is more important. If the only thing that came out of a Biden presidency (and I think the likelihood is that it'll be a single term) was binning the filibuster, cleaning up Trump's many messes, with the running into the ground of the federal government apparatus and making a dog's breakfast of the US' international relations, and formalising laws to prevent the constant criminality he's perpetrated, that'd be a solid place for America to be to arrest it's slide into a total oligarchy and potential single party dictatorship.

There really does seem to be an ignorance of how close to the precipice the US is and how qualitatively different a Biden presidency would be from another Trump one. I thank my lucky stars every day that I live in Ireland. It really is worth contrasting the two places; the anti-intellectualism, the religious fanaticism, the appalling poverty, the authoritarianism, vs our own petty corruption and parochialism.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Gbear wrote: »
    To a large extent Biden is exactly what's needed.

Revolution doesn't actually work.

What Biden is, is a tonic for Trump's imperial presidency. He will kinda be out and about and (awkwardly) hugging babies, but much of the serious work is going to be done by his cabinet.
    This is very different to the Clinton campaign. Biden seems self-aware enough and cognisant of the importance of winning this presidency at this time, with growing fascism and the onset of climate change. He seems to see this job not just as something that's owed to him but as a responsibility. He obliterated everyone in the primaries. You could well have imagined him or another candidate who received that kind of mandate just telling the left of the party to **** off, but instead he's gone out of his way to accommodative them, and has shifted his platform quite dramatically to the left, given where he started.

From a policy perspective, I'm sure I won't be a huge fan, because the Dems are too statist and too corporatist by turns for my liking, but from a competency and technical perspective, I think this is going to be as skilled and experienced a regime as we've seen in a very long time.

As important as the individual of the president is, a united front, at a time when there's serious momentum to control all three elected branches of federal government, is more important. If the only thing that came out of a Biden presidency (and I think the likelihood is that it'll be a single term) was binning the filibuster, cleaning up Trump's many messes, with the running into the ground of the federal government apparatus and making a dog's breakfast of the US' international relations, and formalising laws to prevent the constant criminality he's perpetrated, that'd be a solid place for America to be to arrest it's slide into a total oligarchy and potential single party dictatorship.

There really does seem to be an ignorance of how close to the precipice the US is and how qualitatively different a Biden presidency would be from another Trump one. I thank my lucky stars every day that I live in Ireland. It really is worth contrasting the two places; the anti-intellectualism, the religious fanaticism, the appalling poverty, the authoritarianism, vs our own petty corruption and parochialism.

Excellent post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

As a statesman, Trump is appalling. Trump is appalling on many levels

Do we honestly believe Trump wrote a book? Having been following him closely during the pandemic I am confident that this just could not be the case. So we may need to strike that off his small list of achievements :)

I'd have to question icon too, maybe to some I guess...an American icon though? I dunno.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Joe Biden is the guy sent from Headquarters to take over the regional office when the manager was found to be embezzling funds and running the place into the ground.

Not that popular and not going to be there for long , but efficient and effective in restoring proper order and processes so that another manager can take over.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Do we honestly believe Trump wrote a book? Having been following him closely during the pandemic I am confident that this just could not be the case. So we may need to strike that off his small list of achievements :)

I'd have to question icon too, maybe to some I guess...an American icon though? I dunno.

He's actually listed as having authored 15 books believe it or not!

Including a fictional novel called "Trump Tower" intended as a basis for a TV series of the same name styled after Dallas/Dynasty!!

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    He's actually listed as having authored 15 books believe it or not!

Including a fictional novel called "Trump Tower" intended as a basis for a TV series of the same name styled after Dallas/Dynasty!!

I believe the point is that Trump did not in fact write those. The art of the deal for instance is included there and was ghost written. Incidentally the ghost writer claims to have absolutely screwed Trump on the deal for that so I guess the ghost writer knew more about the art of the deal than Trump!

Christy42 wrote: »
    I believe the point is that Trump did not in fact write those. The art of the deal for instance is included there and was ghost written. Incidentally the ghost writer claims to have absolutely screwed Trump on the deal for that so I guess the ghost writer knew more about the art of the deal than Trump!

Oh absolutely - and in the case of the "novel" his name has now been removed from it and it's listed solely under the name of the ghost writer.

Like his entire career , someone else did the work and he is trying to claim the credit.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Mod Note

Read the charter folks. Posts that consist solely or mostly of gifs, memes, tweets, videos etc are not what this forum is for. You have to make a your own contribution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

"Joe Biden will get rid of religion, and God, and your guns, and your miniature flags, and morbid obesity, and Bud Light, and Dave Matthews Band, and frat parties, and Taco Bell, and DUIs, and hackey-sack"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement