Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭moon2

mcsean2163 wrote: »
    Benghazi nothing??

Many progressive and senior democrats have denounced HRC arming Syrian rebels which were likely to have included Isis. You can look it up etc. Here's a start.

https://theintercept.com/2019/10/26/syrian-rebels-turkey-kurds-accountability/

HRC is a dangerous nutjob internationally. She may have been better domestically.

That's definitely not the reputation she has in Ireland, or Europe. Can you point to some more details of where she holds this reputation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

moon2 wrote: »
    That's definitely not the reputation she has in Ireland, or Europe. Can you point to some more details of where she holds this reputation?

I'm around Ireland, don't know where here is for you. Friend in Chicago, who worked in the unions, also very poor view of her.

Seymour Hersh spoke out about her. Gabbard spoke out etc.

Generally it doesn't go well for anyone challenging her. Another article here. You guys are the experts, read up on what she has done internationally.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/benghazi-hillary-clinton-is-guilty-but-not-as-charged-a6707711.html

Between her and trump it's a tough call.

You've all seen the corn pop story. Biden made a very bad assessment of the number of coronavirus deaths in USA etc. I hope he has a good team around him and a good VP if elected. I hope he doesn't start another war in the middle East.

I think the focus needs to be on China's emergence Uighurs, Hong Kong, Iran, etc. and not failed superpower Russia. A Biden presidency attacking Russia would be crazy, let's hope that doesn't happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,048 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I'm around Ireland, don't know where here is for you. Friend in Chicago, who worked in the unions, also very poor view of her.

Seymour Hersh spoke out about her. Gabbard spoke out etc.

Generally it doesn't go well for anyone challenging her. Another article here. You guys are the experts, read up on what she has done internationally.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/benghazi-hillary-clinton-is-guilty-but-not-as-charged-a6707711.html

Between her and trump it's a tough call.

You've all seen the corn pop story. Biden made a very bad assessment of the number of coronavirus deaths in USA etc. I hope he has a good team around him and a good VP if elected. I hope he doesn't start another war in the middle East.

I think the focus needs to be on China's emergence Uighurs, Hong Kong, Iran, etc. and not failed superpower Russia. A Biden presidency attacking Russia would be crazy, let's hope that doesn't happen.

Whatever about the rest of the stuff you said. Russia is a clear and present danger to the US and blatantly and obviously the EU. It's spent the last decade destabilising or attempting to destabilise both regions. It's sinking large sums of money into right wing small parties in places like Italy for example.

Brushing that aside as a nothing burger means you get your information sources from dubious places. And I've no time for that stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

HRC ran on an integrity ticket but her record in Benghazi was awful, her private server illegal and her hatred of Putin dangerous. She was a very bad candidate and internationally possibly worse than Trump.

There's no discussion here, just Trump derangement syndrome. I'm off, good luck!

Hilarious. Slow day on a Trump discussion thread, let's bring up HRC and Benghazi. Nothing like the old favorited (loony) tunes. "Trump Derangement Syndrome" brought up by someone bringing up HRC 4 years after the election and, what, 8 years after the embassy attack? Derangement indeed.

Is a Trump presidency commending China's actions against the Urghurs something you would support?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,817 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Failed superpower Russia???

A Biden presidency attacking Russia would be crazy, let's hope that doesn't happen.

One thing such a Biden policy could do is end the Trump regime's dependence on Russian intelligence to guide U.S foreign and home policy and revert to using U.S intelligence agencies for that purpose. Like Biden, Trump doesn't seem to think Russia is a failed power,, the difference being Biden doesn't suffer from Trump Derangement syndrome, which [when you think about it] reads like something Trump's fanbase would be liable to catch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,817 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

HRC ran on an integrity ticket but her record in Benghazi was awful, her private server illegal and her hatred of Putin dangerous. She was a very bad candidate and internationally possibly worse than Trump.

There's no discussion here, just Trump derangement syndrome. I'm off, good luck!

Hillary lost dude, get over it.

In other news, they trotted Kudlow out to CNN yesterday to try and explain what the WH wants in the stalled stimulus talks - 'dial down the unemployment support.' He quoted a study that he said shows people not going back to work while on extended unemployment. When challenged on it, the reporter said she'd talked with the author of the study, he said your conclusion's wrong, Kudlow fell back on (paraphrasing the very end of the discussion), "Well, it's better to believe anecdotes than the data."

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/08/07/economy/larry-kudlow-poppy-harlow-unemployment/index.html

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Few posts deleted from people who obviously didn't pay attention to this mod warning.
    Mod Note

Read the charter folks. Posts that consist solely or mostly of gifs, memes, tweets, videos etc are not what this forum is for. You have to make a your own contribution.

Any more rubbish and we'll hand out cards.

Igotadose wrote: »
    In other news, they trotted Kudlow out to CNN yesterday to try and explain what the WH wants in the stalled stimulus talks - 'dial down the unemployment support.' He quoted a study that he said shows people not going back to work while on extended unemployment. When challenged on it, the reporter said she'd talked with the author of the study, he said your conclusion's wrong, Kudlow fell back on (paraphrasing the very end of the discussion), "Well, it's better to believe anecdotes than the data."

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/08/07/economy/larry-kudlow-poppy-harlow-unemployment/index.html

And, sure as shootin', the economist who did the study has tweeted that indeed Kudlow and the WH have it wrong. For we old timers, remember the Marshall Mc Luhan scene in Woody Allen's "Annie Hall?"

https://twitter.com/p_ganong/status/1291772291353907200

Of course, Professor Ganong is in fact an economist. Kudlow played one on TV (poorly) but that was good enough for the #IMPOTUS to hire him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

https://twitter.com/tribelaw/status/1291658199020470272?s=20

Came across that this morning. It's a real shame that people who need to actually see that won't see it.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,859 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I think many of you recall the story I shared last week about the slowdowns at USPS. Well. There was a Friday Night Massacre at USPS of sorts:

https://twitter.com/kristenclarkejd/status/1291923318996635648?s=21

Making these colossal shakeups just weeks before general election ballots from voters go out (and AS ballot applications and iirc ballots to be filled go put to voters) just speaks to an alarming and credible conspiracy to undermine voter turnout. I don’t think it’s just theory anymore. I’ll apologize if by some stroke of miracle this shakeup somehow fixes the backlog instead of creating a nightmare - but the odds of that are astronomical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I think it's very clear to anybody who actually wants to see at this stage, the problem being there is a alarmingly large number who simply don't want to see or just don't care once it's their guy doing the fraud/rigging/corrupt acts.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Overheal wrote: »
    I think many of you recall the story I shared last week about the slowdowns at USPS. Well. There was a Friday Night Massacre at USPS of sorts:

https://twitter.com/kristenclarkejd/status/1291923318996635648?s=21

Making these colossal shakeups just weeks before general election ballots from voters go out (and AS ballot applications and iirc ballots to be filled go put to voters) just speaks to an alarming and credible conspiracy to undermine voter turnout. I don’t think it’s just theory anymore. I’ll apologize if by some stroke of miracle this shakeup somehow fixes the backlog instead of creating a nightmare - but the odds of that are astronomical.

If November isn't anything less than an undeniable wipeout then it's going to be stolen by the GOP / Trump, hard to see how things like this aren't simply preparing the ground. Court cases bottling up the result as the backlog of postal votes delay the final result; with "concerned" voices saying government shouldn't be delayed and to let Trump get back to work as he looked to be on course to victory.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Remember Trump and him telling the world and his scientists how great hydroxychloroquine was and you should just inject it and stuff and people kept insisting Trump had no way to influence people? Yea...
    Analysis of new data from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration's (FDA) adverse events reporting system by the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel revealed the deaths of 293 people in the first half of this year involved hydroxychloroquine, its brand name Plaquenil, or its sister medicine chloroquine. That was up from 75 in the first half of 2019. Of those, COVID-19 was stated as the reason for the patient using the medication in "more than half" of cases, according to the newspaper.

In the first half of 2019, 3,251 adverse events were recorded in patients taking hydroxychloroquine or its derivatives, with over 2,441 said to be serious as the individual was hospitalized, disabled or died. In the first half of this year, 6,588 adverse events were recorded, with 6,233 designated serious.
    So not only have the cases close to doubled but the amount of serious cases increased even further of the total. Trump; the best president to ensure his own citizens get killed be it domestically (white terrorists are nice people after all) or foreign (don't care if Russia places bounties on American lives); the best deaths; beautiful deaths because some people said so and wrote it in a book.

One month after the USMCA deal took effect, and a week after he praised it, Trump re-imposes 10% trade tariffs on aluminium from Canada on national security grounds. Canadian Govt says it will respond to Trumps move with a $2.1 billion counter-tariff move on a list of US imports to Canada. One has to wonder what this move by Trump is in aid of and what his Dept secretaries think of it. Is this an attempt by Trump [for re-election shenanigans] to renege on the tripartite deal between the three nations?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/08/06/trump-canada-aluminum-tariffs/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

aloyisious wrote: »
    One month after the USMCA deal took effect, and a week after he praised it, Trump re-imposes 10% trade tariffs on aluminium from Canada on national security grounds. Canadian Govt says it will respond to Trumps move with a $2.1 billion counter-tariff move on a list of US imports to Canada. One has to wonder what this move by Trump is in aid of and what his Dept secretaries think of it. Is this an attempt by Trump [for re-election shenanigans] to renege on the tripartite deal between the three nations?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/08/06/trump-canada-aluminum-tariffs/

He doesn't want to import it. He wants it mined in the Us.

They already only import a tiny amount of oil thanks to fracking. Its practical to mine at home because fuel needed is cheaper. Will also create more jobs in the Us.

It's self reliance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

Will people feel like they won when he leaves office (this term or next) with a hige pension, a pile of money and a string of suspect dinner speeches where he earns ten million a night from all the businesses who think he was great president?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭briany

pixelburp wrote: »
    If November isn't anything less than an undeniable wipeout then it's going to be stolen by the GOP / Trump, hard to see how things like this aren't simply preparing the ground. Court cases bottling up the result as the backlog of postal votes delay the final result; with "concerned" voices saying government shouldn't be delayed and to let Trump get back to work as he looked to be on course to victory.

Trump attempting to cling on to power like that could very well blow up in his face. Like, literally.

Such an obvious and crooked attempt to hold power wouldn't only set Democrats and moderates against him, who were against him anyway, but also ordinary Republicans. That kind of jiggery-pokery may not be unconstitutional, technically, but it would certainly be every bit against the spirit of free and fair elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,697 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

They already only import a tiny amount of oil thanks to fracking. Its practical to mine at home because fuel needed is cheaper. Will also create more jobs in the Us.

It's self reliance.

So why sign the recent deal? He said it was a great deal.

Which one is it?

• Advertisement

Leroy42 wrote: »
    So why sign the recent deal? He said it was a great deal.

Which one is it?

Because of the usual American bluster and posturing.

The USA wants to show who rules the roost and sets the rules.

You can see why it is cheaper to mine it in the Us. The Canadian dollar is also at a 6 month high against USD. Its more expensive to buy from them.

This promotes jobs and improves self reliance.
    Us mining industry
    "
    The United States aims to boost domestic production by becoming less dependent on imports, and less dependent on aluminum producers such as China and Russia"

I guarantee that there will be news of opened or upscaled mining in the us before the election. Jobs for Americans.

It's self reliance.

What point is there in Trump signing a trade deal and saying how delighted he is in it, showing it off as a sign of his acumen and then reneging on it before the world on the grounds that imports of Canadian aluminium affects the U.S's national security?

Did he and his cabinet not see the "alleged" national security risk due to his choosing to ignore his own national [security and finance] intelligence agencies while they were involved with Canada and Mexico for months in negotiations on the deal after Trump unilaterally scrapped the trade deals with both nations?

Would you think his skill in negotiating an international trade deal of which he is so proud [which he then reneges on a week later] something which any Trumper should congratulate him on as a presidential achievement making him worthy of re-election?

Fracking? The various U.S financial market channels I've been watching has the bottom dropped-out of the U.S oil fracking market with that industry in tatters due to lack of sales for its product.

Edit: re the bit about mining in your last above, I hope the miners in that trade have taken into account Trump's success in getting the U.S coal-mining industry back on its feet.

Because of the usual American bluster and posturing.

The USA wants to show who rules the roost and sets the rules.

You can see why it is cheaper to mine it in the Us. The Canadian dollar is also at a 6 month high against USD. Its more expensive to buy from them.

This promotes jobs and improves self reliance.
    Us mining industry
    "
    The United States aims to boost domestic production by becoming less dependent on imports, and less dependent on aluminum producers such as China and Russia"

I guarantee that there will be news of opened or upscaled mining in the us before the election. Jobs for Americans.

That isn't what I asked. Is this a great thing from Trump, or was signing a deal leaving the mines closed in the US a great thing?

It cannot be both. I totally understand the reasons why he might do this, but then that shows how poorly he did on the previous deal.

A deal, you may remember he forced due to calling the previous one a disaster and he would sort it out.

Was he lying about how good the new deal actually was and only now realises what a screw up he made?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Will people feel like they won when he leaves office (this term or next) with a hige pension, a pile of money and a string of suspect dinner speeches where he earns ten million a night from all the businesses who think he was great president?

He's facing an avalanche of legal battles once he comes out from behind Bill Barr's skirts.
    Even aside from federal charges, he'll face an endless procession of subpoenas in both houses because this administration has engaged in such a degree of rat-****ery, corruption and incompetence that it's going to take years to untangle, and at the same time he's going to be facing state charges and state civil cases, some of which are already under way.

His best case scenario is spending most of his time in court or in hearings for the next 3 or 4 years, unless he plans on legging it to Russia or whoever else will have him.

That isn't what I asked. Is this a great thing from Trump, or was signing a deal leaving the mines closed in the US a great thing?

It cannot be both. I totally understand the reasons why he might do this, but then that shows how poorly he did on the previous deal.

A deal, you may remember he forced due to calling the previous one a disaster and he would sort it out.

Was he lying about how good the new deal actually was and only now realises what a screw up he made?

Is the first question directed at me or at Trump?

I'm giving my opinion why I think Trump might have raised aluminium tariffs
    You are asking me questions about your own thoughts.
    I have no interest in them.

Edit: that doesn't read right. I'm giving my opinion on the tariffs. If you are talking about other related events and how one affects the other iv no opinion on that. I dobt know the reason

A slightly reductionist form of the question is: did Trump do a good thing by opening up trade with Canada, or did Trump do a good thing by closing down trade with Canada a week after it opened.

The question is directed at you as you appear to support both as a good thing, which is confusing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,865 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The GoP strategy in not engaging in the congressional stimulus talks is now crystal clear.
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/08/politics/trump-executive-order-stimulus/index.html

Avoid the discussion, hold out until the recess and then have Trump issue a slew of EO's to get stimulus and support cash to the voters.

Similar stunt to his delaying the stimulus cheques until such a time as Don's signature could be on the cheque.
    Pathetically transparent.l electioneering that plays with lives, homes and livelihoods.

Kudos for you. Most people faced with having being caught out on such conflicting positions would have simply not bothered to reply so to come up with such a deflection and refusal to deal with the clear conflict is actually impressive in its own sort of way.

Clearly, you know that the previous agreement did not protect US jobs and as such Trump had to tear up the deal.

moon2 wrote: »
    A slightly reductionist form of the question is: did Trump do a good thing by opening up trade with Canada, or did Trump do a good thing by closing down trade with Canada a week after it opened.

The question is directed at you as you appear to support both as a good thing, which is confusing.

A good thing because the deal contains lots of products that are now traded at favorable to all prices and also a good thing because one of the products (Aluminium) they will mine more of in the United states themselves thus creating jobs and pleasing many people from mining
    communities before an election.

Why else would the Us do it? And place the reason as Canada being a threat to national security. Makes no sense

• Advertisement

Kudos for you. Most people faced with having being caught out on such conflicting positions would have simply not bothered to reply so to come up with such a deflection and refusal to deal with the clear conflict is actually impressive in its own sort of way.

Clearly, you know that the previous agreement did not protect US jobs and as such Trump had to tear up the deal.

I edited my first reply. It didn't read right.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement