Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Did anyone else see that press conference at trumps golf course in New Jersey. Few people wearing masks and trump still saying it will go away when there isn't evidence it will just go away. A reporter asked a question and got booed by the audience because it was over masks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

A good thing because the deal contains lots of products that are now traded at favorable to all prices and also a good thing because one of the products (Aluminium) they will mine more of in the United states themselves thus creating jobs and pleasing many people from mining
    communities before an election.

Why else would the Us do it? And place the reason as Canada being a threat to national security. Makes no sense
    You can't raise tariffs without justification under WTO rules; national security is one of those allowed justifications. Same excuse was around threatening increase on car tariffs with Europe to maintain steel production in the USA. As for why; because he's powerless to go after the real source of the issue (China) so once again thinks his "strong"negotiation skills" by raising tariffs will make Canada to give in other areas (same way he refused to pay invoices at last minute for stuff he owed to try to strong arm the builders to reduce them claiming he's a great negotiator because of that not realizing any builder worth his salt would simply add on extra before sending in a bid to account for it). Note; the 11% tariff will make pretty much sod all difference in how much is mined; the issue is China is dumping cheap aluminum on the world market via state aid and American companies can't compete but he thinks it makes him look good to his voters.

How is trump signing executive orders involving money exactly. Isn't appropriation of funds the job of congress which would include raising of unemployment benefit ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,621 ✭✭✭✭Water John

So $600/week becomes $400/week. $100 coming from States.
    That's the only line to remember.

And Trump couldn't handle the female reporters pushing for answers to their questions.

Water John wrote: »
    So $600/week becomes $400/week. $100 coming from States.
    That's the only line to remember.

And Trump couldn't handle the female reporters pushing for answers to their questions.

But again I ask is trump allowed to do an executive order that deals with money ?

• Advertisement

Wouldn't know the law on that but yes, the budget is Congress business. BTW most States won't have the money to support the $100/week.

'The eighth (question) comes from CBS correspondent Paula Reid, who asks why Trump continues to make the false statement that he passed Veterans Choice, a program allowing veterans to get full medical bills paid at hospitals outside the VA.

Rather than responding, Trump abruptly ends the presser and walks out amid enthusiastic applause from the club members at the rear of the ballroom as YMCA by the Village People plays over the sound system.'
    Guardian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,881 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Did anyone else see that press conference at trumps golf course in New Jersey. Few people wearing masks and trump still saying it will go away when there isn't evidence it will just go away. A reporter asked a question and got booed by the audience because it was over masks.

Didn't see that, what I did see was Trump abruptly ditched the conference when a reporter called him out for continually lying about having signed the 2014 Veterans Choice Act.
    But again I ask is trump allowed to do an executive order that deals with money ?

Don't think so. May depend on the state of emergency of the pandemic. The only one I think he could do for sure is the student loan deferrals. I don't think he can stop evictions. And even if he could legally defer payroll taxes that's a pretty underhanded move, because they are deferred people will have an even higher tax liability next year in filing season, and after the election. I can safely predict now that should Biden win Republicans will blame him for that extra burden at tax season, even though it will have been Trumps own deferral (assuming it happens).

That Act signed by Obama and sponsored by Trump's two friends, John McCain and Bernie Sanders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,881 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Which Trump signed a modifier for, but he's taken credit numerous times for the whole thing like it was his own idea and had never been done before

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭moon2

Why else would the Us do it? And place the reason as Canada being a threat to national security. Makes no sense

Absolutely right. It makes no sense! Trump, and his policies, make no sense!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

And?

Seriously though, this almost deserves an 'and?' - not because of you, but because trumpism is a death cult, which many people have been saying for years. I would say that seeing this after Herman Cains death seals it, but in truth it was sealed long ago, likely as far back as 2017 when they were whooping and cheering at their already ptry healthcare supposedly being taken away because it shared a nickname (a nickname they gave it, remember) with a black man.

They'd rather be dead than vote democrat, or anything not affiliated with Trump (who many of them outright see as a figure of worship) and the modern GOP, regardless of what they might be proposing. That is a death cult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,678 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I can dismiss the syncopantic nonsense on twitter as mostly bots and trolls.

People who join a Trump golf club are likely to follow through by supporting him.

Many people who go to Trump rallies are there for the beer (ie the entertainment value). And even they seem to have finally got it that they are not worth the Covid risk.

But I am increasingly beginning to wonder if there is something else I am missing in terms of Trump's popularity. By rights he should not have any more support than the 'reader of The Sun' level of awareness. So who is supporting him in the polls? What causes even the dimmest to continue to support him in face of the nonsense that he issues/causes daily?

This has nothing to do with MSM, you can watch the press conferences and read his twitterings for yourself, it doesn't have to be translated. As an aside, the same applies to Johnson/the Conservatives in the UK, but Trump is far worse, what is it that is causing this insane loyalty?

Is there a bigger picture, bigger than one demented individual, that we should be looking at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭abff

looksee wrote: »

People who join a Trump golf club are likely to follow through by supporting him.

Many people who go to Trump rallies are there for the beer (ie the entertainment value). And even they seem to have finally got it that they are not worth the Covid risk.

But I am increasingly beginning to wonder if there is something else I am missing in terms of Trump's popularity. By rights he should not have any more support than the 'reader of The Sun' level of awareness. So who is supporting him in the polls? What causes even the dimmest to continue to support him in face of the nonsense that he issues/causes daily?

This has nothing to do with MSM, you can watch the press conferences and read his twitterings for yourself, it doesn't have to be translated. As an aside, the same applies to Johnson/the Conservatives in the UK, but Trump is far worse, what is it that is causing this insane loyalty?

Is there a bigger picture, bigger than one demented individual, that we should be looking at?

I saw a recent discussion on YouTube where they said that the real reason so many people support Trump so enthusiastically is because they are racist and want a return to the ‘good old days’ of white supremacy. Then there are the super wealthy who support him because he lines their coffers. And those who would rather vote for a Russian than a Democrat. Of course this latter group don’t appreciate that that is exactly what they are doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

abff wrote: »
    I saw a recent discussion on YouTube where they said that the real reason so many people support Trump so enthusiastically is because they are racist and want a return to the ‘good old days’ of white supremacy. Then there are the super wealthy who support him because he lines their coffers. And those who would rather vote for a Russian than a Democrat. Of course this latter group don’t appreciate that that is exactly what they are doing.

What about black people who vote for Trump?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Some interesting pieces surfacing about the Kanye West nomination in Wisconsin. Needed 2,000 signatures to get on the ballot and submitted 2,400 (after the deadline), but several of those were fictional characters (Mickey Mouse, etc.), and several of the people who actually signed have come forward and said that they were asked for their signature to make sure everyone is registered to vote, and other made up reasons.
    Of course, the filing was made by a trump attorney, and has been challenged on the basis of fraudulently attaining signatures. The upshot is that it’s believed trump knows he’s losing the African American vote in a landslide, so wants to get West on the ballot to take votes from Biden.

What an absolute shambles of a country that place is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,617 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

You can be black and racist you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

It was bout 15% of the black population IIRC.

Of those, some are probably wealthy, so they directly benefit from Republican rule, some bought the same bull**** that hoodwinked other Trump voters about him being a deal-maker or whatever, or anti-Clinton propaganda, and Black people aren't immune from misogyny, racism and so on.

There's some weird overlap between Nation of Islam-style black ethno-nationalism and other forms of racial supremacy, including anti-semitic conspiracy theories, and they have worked alongside white supremacists in the past (Tom Metzger, former head of the Klan in California attended a Nation of Islam rally, George Lincoln Rockwelll, founder of the American Nazi party, attended a speech delivered by Malcolm X), so that's another somewhat esoteric potential link between fringes of the black community and the white nationalism of the Republican party, although beyond the mental instability-fueled ramblings of Kanye West, I'm not familiar with any specific modern examples.

And, of course, it remains to be seen how things will turn out this election. We've seen a dramatic drop off in support for Trump in the rust belt. It stands to reason that after 4 years of having to abide his corruption, racism and incompetence, some of those among the black community that supported him might switch.

According to NPR, 88% of black voters believe he has increased racial tensions.

From the same article, among non-whites, which presumably includes Latin-Americans, Asians and so on, his favourability is 67% disapprove, 30% approve.

Also, again from the article, Biden leads Trump 88% to 9% among African Americans.

You're virtually always going to find a certain % of people who will vote for literally anything. The overwhelming opposition to Trump from black Americans speaks for itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭relax carry on

looksee wrote: »

He has his core supporters for the worship level following. The rest are split into two camps. The first are those who can see him exactly for what he is but some element of his personality/beliefs/what he represents appeals to them so they blind themselves to his repulsiveness. The second are those who are him for what he is, see nothing of value in him but would rather be Russian/dead/etc than vote for anyone other than a Republican.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,374 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I think you here’s a sizeable set of people in America who think being liberal is being a communist. These people will automatically push away from the ‘left’ even though American left is at best Center right as we’d see it. It’s a lifetime of being fed this stuff that makes them believe it. It’s also likely to die out overtime and the GOP support will fade significantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,817 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

They can be people who have fallen away from supporting the democrats, still want to use their vote and see voting for the GOP [not Trump pre se] as a better way of sending a message to the dems to spoiling/not using their vote. There's no accounting for taste.

On the issue of GOP supporters voting in Nov, there's no guarantee they'll all cast their presidential vote for their party's nominee. It's possible they will only cast their votes in the other elections held in Nov seeing that as more essential as Trump isn't a lawmaker.

All 435 seats in the United States House of Representatives, 35 of the 100 seats in the United States Senate, and the office of President of the United States will be contested on Tuesday, November 3,. Thirteen state and territorial governorships, as well as numerous other state and local elections, will also be contested.

• Advertisement

You can be black and racist you know.

So black people who voted for Trump are racist?

Is everyone who voted for Trump a racist? That is what the original poster I replied to was getting at. He heard it on a YouTube conversation

Is everyone who voted for Trump a racist? That is what the original poster I replied to was getting at. He heard it on a YouTube conversation

I would be inclined to say if a person is willing to vote him in for a second term, then they're a mixture of racist and deluded. He's shown what he can do politically and it's not much more than firing insults.

That's no what I said.

I didnt say that either.

That's no what I said.

I didnt say that either.

Not you. The original poster I replied to.

Not you. The original poster I replied to.

So why quote me asking the question?

I would be inclined to say if a person is willing to vote him in for a second term, then they're a mixture of racist and deluded. He's shown what he can do politically and it's not much more than firing insults.

So people who don't vote Biden are either a racist or are delusional. Maybe both

That's the bottom line is it?

So why quote me asking the question?

Because I replied to the original poster but then you replied to me.

That is all .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,817 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Way more than what I have seen in Ireland and the UK, many in America treat their political affiliation like we in Ireland or the UK do when we support a soccer team.

Once they make their choice, that's it and they ain't gonna change. It seems to me that when really ticked off, they decide not to vote rather than flip to the other side.

It's quite bizarre given the impact it can have on their lives.

Because I replied to the original poster but then you replied to me.

That is all .

OK :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Way more than what I have seen in Ireland and the UK, many in America treat their political affiliation like we in Ireland or the UK do when we support a soccer team.

Once they make their choice, that's it and they ain't gonna change. It seems to me that when really ticked off, they decide not to vote rather than flip to the other side.

It's quite bizarre given the impact it can have on their lives.

True but you'd have to hit a level of delusion to not actually recognise that he's damaging the party in the long term.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement