Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Of course. But let's not forget that the choice of vice president isn't an issue for most voters in America. I wouldn't be surprised if name recognition is poor for US vice presidents, particularly given the low voter interest in America in general.

Not an issue insofar as food on the table or money in the pocket. But given Bidens age becomes a very relevant issue due to the very real possibility of her becoming president by inheritance - or if Biden doesn't run for a second term, the presumptive 2024 nominee. And not like voters in America aren't prone to voting on emotional issues rather than pragmatic ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,622 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Trump going after Harris, set up by a reporter, I presume Qanon or Fox at press conf in the White House.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Water John wrote: »
    Trump going after Harris, set up by a reporter, I presume Qanon or Fox at press conf in the White House.

He talks about Harris being disrespectful, and then literally in the same breath doesnt even refer to Elizabeth Warren by her name, but instead as Pocahontas..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Drumpot wrote: »
    I’ve been wondering why little has been made of this.

Whatever about testing , can they manipulate deaths to look like non COVID?

Really is remarkable how much corruption Trump seems to be able to get away with, Teflon Bertie isn’t a patch on him.. Has he managed to block enough people from voting to swing a few states Yet?
    It's already been done with the old numbers; the number of "flu deaths" in Florida for example has more than quadrupled compared to last year (and the previous 5 years) for the same time period; know of any recent diseases or viruses that may have flu like symptoms perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,746 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

He has already called her "nasty", using the same playbook as before so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Call me Al wrote: »
    He talks about Harris being disrespectful, and then literally in the same breath doesnt even refer to Elizabeth Warren by her name, but instead as Pocahontas..

Just file that under things Donald Trump has no self awareness of. He really is so so hard to find a redeeming quality for, I dunno how his guys manage to mentally gymnast there way around him at all.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Gintonious wrote: »

Has he claimed that she wasn't born in America yet?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mod: Below standard posts deleted.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Mod: Below standard posts deleted.

Can you delete Donald Trump please?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Harris was an easy choice for Biden. The fact that Trumps best attacks were that she is nasty and liberal is laughable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Harris was an easy choice for Biden. The fact that Trumps best attacks were that she is nasty and liberal is laughable

Well he’s accused Joe of being part of the extreme left.
    So all he’s got is name calling, lies and insults.

How anyone can vote for Trump is beyond me.
    Imagine 4 more years of chaos.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Gintonious wrote: »

Indeed , but it's telling that his issue with Biden selecting Harris was that he couldn't understand how Biden could pick her after she had been "nasty" to him during the Primary debates.

Once again displaying his incredibly thin skin and inability to get past even the smallest perceived slight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Seriously though, how is more not being made of Trump manipulating the COvId data? I don’t get this, he’s now promoting that numbers in USA have been decking since July, when that was when he in essence took control of data. Are we accepting that there is no fudging of COVId numbers and it’s just a positive coincidence for Trump that numbers started improving when they needlessly changed how they are recorded ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,697 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I think part of it is that people simply don't, or maybe do not want to, believe that the government, actually the WHm is actively lying to them. That the WH is now closer to the operational models of Russia and China, in terms of information, than to what it is supposed to be.

Sure, we all accept that spin happens, that politicians will look to create the narrative, but to actually accept that there is even the possibility that the WH has effectively reduced the entire national structure to little more than a propaganda arm is pretty serious admission and poses some real soul searching.

That would probably lead to people have to break out of their own bubble to vote for something that is in the national interest rather than their own and that doesn't sit well with Americans.

To many Americans the numbers of largely irrelevant. In a country of 350m, the vast majority do not know people that have died from Covid and thus it is not something they feel the direct impact on.

And if one believes the lie that Trump gives about more testing meaning more positives, than a fall in numbers in perfectly reasonable and actually more like other countries.

It is for this very reason that Trump started pushing the fake news line from the very start. SUre it seemed crazy but he repeated it so many times that people are to the point where they almost believe nothing they read and so everything is both true and untrue at the same time, the only difference being your own opinion.

If the MSM is fake, and the deep state controls everything, then of course the numbers were false, at least until Trump took control of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,374 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Seriously though, how is more not being made of Trump manipulating the COvId data? I don’t get this, he’s now promoting that numbers in USA have been decking since July, when that was when he in essence took control of data. Are we accepting that there is no fudging of COVId numbers and it’s just a positive coincidence for Trump that numbers started improving when they needlessly changed how they are recorded ?

I would suggest that almost nobody here believes the numbers. Plenty of countries have used different ways of counting including ourselves with the suggestion bring that we over counted as opposed to fudging. There is no real way of getting away from the fact the America did a terrible job on Covid For many reasons to be fair, leadership being a very big one on top of the unbelievable selfishness of a society that puts the individual ahead of the population. Plenty of people over there are doing the right things but the lack of leadership from day one meant that it just isn’t enough. My wife’s cousin is posting memes about it being a nothing despite his father having been very sick from it. His attitude is if your sick or worried stay in but everyone else should do as normal. He’s from Atlanta that’s a level of selfishness and stupidity that is beyond belief.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Leroy42 wrote: »
    I think part of it is that people simply don't, or maybe do not want to, believe that the government, actually the WHm is actively lying to them. That the WH is now closer to the operational models of Russia and China, in terms of information, than to what it is supposed to be.

Sure, we all accept that spin happens, that politicians will look to create the narrative, but to actually accept that there is even the possibility that the WH has effectively reduced the entire national structure to little more than a propaganda arm is pretty serious admission and poses some real soul searching.

That would probably lead to people have to break out of their own bubble to vote for something that is in the national interest rather than their own and that doesn't sit well with Americans.

To many Americans the numbers of largely irrelevant. In a country of 350m, the vast majority do not know people that have died from Covid and thus it is not something they feel the direct impact on.

And if one believes the lie that Trump gives about more testing meaning more positives, than a fall in numbers in perfectly reasonable and actually more like other countries.

It is for this very reason that Trump started pushing the fake news line from the very start. SUre it seemed crazy but he repeated it so many times that people are to the point where they almost believe nothing they read and so everything is both true and untrue at the same time, the only difference being your own opinion.

If the MSM is fake, and the deep state controls everything, then of course the numbers were false, at least until Trump took control of them.

This is the key thing - All along he has been working to delegitimise the media to protect himself and calls everything "fake new" often laughably so.

However crucially , it has been clearly shown that if you repeat something often enough people will begin to believe it. And he has been repeating it A LOT.

So now , when the media tell actual truths about him and his failures, a significant proportion of the population flat out don't believe it even when they are shown the evidence.

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    This is the key thing - All along he has been working to delegitimise the media to protect himself and calls everything "fake new" often laughably so.

However crucially , it has been clearly shown that if you repeat something often enough people will begin to believe it. And he has been repeating it A LOT.

So now , when the media tell actual truths about him and his failures, a significant proportion of the population flat out don't believe it even when they are shown the evidence.

But it is actually worse than that. It isn't just the MSM (since nobody seems to agree what that actually means) but it extends to everything. Any information that one doesn't like, no matter where the source, can be dismissed at fake news.

The example of the numbers dropping since the WH took over. People are effectively accepting that the previous numbers provided by the CDC were false.

Trump, almost nonchalantly, stated in the recent Axios interview that he thinks SK are making up their numbers. By extension he is laying the claim that everyone is.

Fauci is over reacting, the governors are making up numbers etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Regardless of how anyone feels about Harris, Biden could run someone in black face as his VP candidate and still get almost all of the black vote thanks to the sh*te Trump has been pulling in the last few weeks months.

Edit: also those are not her children, but sure don't let the truth get in the way of a good old bit of what you're up to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭abff

da_miser wrote: »
    I see a Trump landslide on the cards.

Do you seriously believe that African Americans who were planning to vote for Biden will now vote for Trump because they believe that having Harris as VP would be WORSE than having another 4 years of Trump as president?

Again, you are making the fundamental mistake of thinking that Kamala or indeed Biden, is running against the best or some ideal.

They are not. THey are running against Trump and Pence. Two old white men. One has shown significant racist tendencies , the other seems happy to go along with that. Trump has shown a complete inability to lead, Pence seems fine with that. Trump has lied 20k+, Pence seems ok with that. Pence believes in sex reoriniation for homsexuals, Trump tried to push through anti LTBT policies on the military. Biden is saying that, yes he is an old white man, but by picking a woman, and a woman of colour, he accepts that America needs to be governed for more than just the old white men. He is wiling to include them, to listen to their concerns. Obviously Harris does not speak for every woman, of personof colour, nor does he understand all their backgrounds and concerns, but it signals a willingness to be inclusive.

Biden and Harris don't need to be the best, they just need to be better than the opposition they face.

And Trump ha 4 fours of complete failure. What is Trump going to do to gainthe minority vote? He has done nothing for race relations over four years, Biden has worked for the first ever African American POTUS. Harris has both indian and African decendancy.

Will it help them to get their vote, I am not sure, but I fail to see anything that Trump can do to get their vote

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

They're no worse that Spain, Italy, Sweden or the UK per capita, he's obviously fumbling the data but the media is making a circus out of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭crisco10

I think in the main it's because such arguments would be too nuanced for the populus to follow consistently.

Also, Trump and co could easily say that the numbers before July were wrong until they corrected them.

As well as the "Fake News" dismissal posited by others on this thread.

And I can find you plenty of tweets from non white people who back her too... You do know that African Americans don't generally have a problem with mixed race couples btw? I'm not sure what time period you've time traveled from.

abff wrote: »
    Do you seriously believe that African Americans who were planning to vote for Biden will now vote for Trump because they believe that having Harris as VP would be WORSE than having another 4 years of Trump as president?

Also - This whole argument that ALL Black Americans are "African Americans" or indeed that only Black people can be African Americans is rooted in at best an ignorance of race and nationality and at worst something even less acceptable.

Harris' father is a Black man from Jamaica , her Mother is from India (Chennai to be specific) so she is Afro-Caribbean/Indian.

So - She can absolutely describe herself as Indian American AND Afro-Caribbean American.

Both are true and equally accurate.

Given that most Black people from the Caribbean are descendants of Slaves brought from Africa she may indeed have some level of "African" in her Genealogy.

Saying that "she doesn't look black and neither do her Kids" is pretty disgusting to be honest.

Is this going to be the GOP angle here?

Biden is too White and Harris isn't Black enough??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Trump is leading the way with prison reform that mostly affects the African American community, do you really think these African Americans will now with light at the end of the tunnel vote for Kamala, she has show her true colours regarding her prison policies, lock up the blacks and throw away the key.

Are the constant alt right 4chan images from whatever other edge lord forum you are a member of really necessary?

African Americans have a big problem with with fakes, Cultural appropriation and all the rest.
    She jailed many a black man for serious time for a mickey mouse offence.
    She was a Indian American up until recent, she is Jewish but going after the Black Christian vote, and it also looks like her Jamaican ancestors owned slaves, not a good look in these times.
    We know all about Trump, but i expect plenty of dirt about her to come out now.

Ancestors owning slaves won't hit her and it's a big leap to assume it would. Prosecutors do unpopular things, she also supports things like accessible education and affordable healthcare, both of which draw in voters. The Jewish thing, so? Indian American, once again so? She already went through a primary so all the dirt is already out there and outside of her record as a prosecutor, none the above was an issue. The Biden campaign has also has people analysing the impact of such things.

There's no indication she's 'fake'....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,374 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

This thread is badly in need of someone dumping a load of pictures and links into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭da_miser

VinLieger wrote: »
    Are the constant alt right 4chan images from whatever other edge lord forum you are a member of really necessary?

I just assume that the fact some here cant comprehend what is happening might have a easier easier time understanding what is happening in picture format, they clearly cannot cannot see the wood for the trees in the written format.
    Its a disaster for the Dems, only better way for Trump would be if Joes handlers had picked Hilary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,516 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I just assume that the fact some here cant comprehend what is happening might have a easier easier time understanding what is happening in picture format, they clearly cannot cannot see the wood for the trees in the written format.
    Its a disaster for the Dems, only better way for Trump would be if Joes handlers had picked Hilary.

Try using your own words and reasoning with citation when trying to make a point rather than pictures bullet points etc, we're not Trump

• Advertisement

Generally your memes are neither clever or informative. The general response has been pretty positive. Do you think a load of data analytics hasn't been done to see how voters would respond to potential vp candidates? They chose her because she won't negatively impact his polls and overall the public view her as good at what she does. Basically they're a safe combo. Like you guys have been pushing a Biden dementia narrative for the last 6 months and he's only continued to rise in the polls. The attacks simply aren't working.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement