Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭abff

NIMAN wrote: »
    I don't read this thread often, but I'm guessing its generally a Trump-bashing thread?

Interesting to hear on the news last night that this Israel-UAE deal was said to be only done due to the help of Trump. Wonder will he get any credit if this is true?

Given that most of Trump’s behaviour is deplorable, the comments on here tend to reflect how people feel about this behaviour and are therefore generally negative.

Regarding the Israel-UAE deal, I don’t know enough about Trump’s involvement to ascertain whether he is entitled to any credit for brokering the deal. However, given his propensity for claiming the credit for anything and everything that he feels might reflect well on him, it’s natural that some people might feel a bit sceptical about any such claims and will want to do a thorough fact check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,721 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

NIMAN wrote:
    I don't read this thread often, but I'm guessing its generally a Trump-bashing thread?

Well he isn't exactly well known for his brilliance and intelligence, nor is he all that mature, all administrations do some good and some bad, this one just seems to be doing just largely bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Slate did a pretty good analysis of what's been going on behind the scenes between Israel and the UAE. Overall, this is a good thing insofar as Israel's never had normalized diplomatic relationships with a gulf Arab country (Egypt isn't technically one of those I guess.) They point out that regarding Israel/Palestine, which is very typical of a Trump foreign relations activity - lots of noise, return to status quo. It's very much an anti-Iran move, no surprise there.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/08/israel-uae-trump-deal.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Interesting to hear on the news last night that this Israel-UAE deal was said to be only done due to the help of Trump. Wonder will he get any credit if this is true?

Trump bashing. Good try, try harder.

If you call reporting on the truth of what comes out of his mouth bashing then well... Not much hope for ya.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Latest Fox News Poll out today doesn't make for great reading for Donald Trump (or those that think Harris was a bad pick for the Democrats)

Both Biden & Harris have higher favourability ratings than Trump/Pence

Biden - 53% Favourable , 43% Unfavourable
    Harris - 44% Favourable , 40% Unfavourable
    Trump - 43% Favourable , 55% Unfavourable
    Pence - 41% Favourable , 51% Unfavourable

On the whole "Mental Fitness" angle that seems to be the only play that Trump has , that doesn't look great either

The Question is "Do you think Trump/Biden has the mental fitness to be President"

Biden - 47% Yes , 39% No
    Trump - 43% Yes , 51% No

So a Majority of voter think that Trump is mentally unfit to be President..

An interest question posed was "If you could say one thing to the Government would it be "Lend me a hand" or "Leave me alone"

57% said "Lend me a hand" against 36% saying "leave me alone" , and almost exact reverse from the response to the same question in February of last year.

Another Interesting one is "Do you have a favourable or unfavourable view of ObamaCare?"

The answer today is 56% Favourable , 36% Unfavourable.

The answer when Trump took office? - 50% Favourable , 46% Unfavourable.

There's just no good news for Trump in the Survey , just none.

If you look at all of his "policies" he is underwater on all of them or people see Biden as a better option
    • Universal Mask Mandate - 74% in Favour
    • Government didn't take the Virus seriously enough - 54% agree
    • Reopening the Economy - 53% say it's not worth the risk
    • Increased Unemployment benefit - 66% Support
    • Universal Vote by Mail - 60% Support

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Has he claimed that she wasn't born in America yet?

Called it a day early.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,640 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I doubt she's the only American feeling that way. Must be horrible living there right now under such a corrupt and incompetent administration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

I doubt she's the only American feeling that way. Must be horrible living there right now under such a corrupt and incompetent administration.

He was voted in. Democracy for the win.

Biden will be in for his turn next.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,640 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

He was voted in.

Indeed he was and it's proven to be a huge mistake as most of us predicted and are now witnessing. It will be put right in November thankfully.

• Advertisement

He was voted in.

I doubt anybody voted for incompetence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,820 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I'm reading on the net that the Senate has adjourned til 8th Sept [with proviso for 24 hour recall] without a virus relief bill being passed. So no federal relief payments for the millions of unemployed laid off due to the virus epidemic - sad.

One bit of good news today is that the USSC has decided to allow a Rhode Island [Corona-virus pandemic measure] mail-in ballot consent decree without in-person witness verification voting proceed having voted against the GOP's efforts to block the decree. The USSC explained in a short, unsigned order that state officials had agreed to relax the rules and that the change already had been implemented during the June primary. It reads like that even at this late stage after the measure was put into use since June the GOP are still fighting a rearguard action against the voter.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/08/14/coronavirus-covid-live-updates-us/#link-I2D367MQAZABBOWATC3XPSIF4M

That doesn't mean the events of the past 4 years won't make a person depressed. Have plenty of US relatives that have had it affect their mental health.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

A trump bashing thread ? I wouldn't say that is true, this is a thread which deals with the goings on of the curent presidnt of the United States Donald trump. In fairness we mostly react to what he says on twitter or in person or other things related to his actions. We can't help it if what the vast majority of what he says is at best misleading or at worst outright lies of some description. And no I don't believe this thread is anti Donald trump more so anti ignorance and lying.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,697 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Did you try to read it or at least the last few pages?

You guess would be correct in that it continually bashes Trump for the terrible job he is doing in relation to COVID. Actually even that is giving him too much credit. Once the initial bravado past, and the scale of the problem and the work and leadership required was evident, he quickly got bored and instead focused on photo-ops, rallies and personal jobes.

It continually bases him for giving credence to conspiracy theories, whilst at the same time espousing his own conspiracy theories about MSM, deep state and Obama.

It continually bashes him for the lack of any ability to get any deals down, despite being in control of the Senate.

It continually bashes him for lying. For his WH for lying, for his supporters for lying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,680 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You don't even really have to 'bash' him, all you have to do is relate his most recent tweets/speeches/comments and he effectively bashes himself.

That doesn't mean he's not corrupt or incompetent. And I have no doubt that you lot will spend the next four years whining.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

looksee wrote: »
    You don't even really have to 'bash' him, all you have to do is relate his most recent tweets/speeches/comments and he effectively bashes himself.
    All you have to do is demand of him what he demanded of others, which his supporters were more than happy to row in behind at the time.

He demanded Obama resign as soon as there was one Ebola death. Now we're 170,000 Covid deaths in and rather than resigning, Trump is claiming he takes zero responsibility yet also claims to be doing an amazing job with it, while point blank lying that he wouldn't have demanded Obama resign at 160,000 dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,622 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Who is you lot?
    Sure I'm from Ireland. I would also be a libertarian. I'd prefer no government at all. Minimal government at least.

That's a talk for another day

Ah the Maggie Thatcher line, 'there's no community only individuals'.
    Perhaps you should read Rutger Bregman's 'Humankind'.

The Lord of the Flies, was William Golding's take on the nature of humanity. Turns out in truth to be totally wrong. Bergman documents the story of a group of young people being isolated on an island in the mid 1960's. They built a society and thrived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,865 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Except there has been more than one.

Those other pandemics that hit the US, were well managed and contained.
    The one in a hundred event here isn't the pandemic, its the utter incompetence of the executive in taking any meaningful action to arrest it.

The current Potus, demanded Obama resign after the 1st ebola death on US soil.
    Would that he or his followers hold #IMPOTUS to the same standard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Water John wrote: »
    Ah the Maggie Thatcher line, 'there's no community only individuals'.
    Perhaps you should read Rutger Bregman's 'Humankind'.

The Lord of the Flies, was William Golding's take on the nature of humanity. Turns out in truth to be totally wrong. Bergman documents the story of a group of young people being isolated on an island in the mid 1960's. They built a society and thrived.

We have a very jaundiced view of humanity and its inherent selfishness - especially when viewed the lens of apocalyptic fiction but when the chips are down and there's a crisis, people tend to work together.

Except for those libertarians. They'll always sit in a corner moaning about other people.

There used to be lively debate until the pandemic proved him indefensible

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,225 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mod: Some low quality posts deleted.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

Water John wrote: »
    Ah the Maggie Thatcher line, 'there's no community only individuals'..

Thatcher is always taken out of context with that line. The full quote makes clear that she was saying that “society” is made up of individuals and therefore when you rely on “society” to fix a problem, you’re relying on other people and relying on yourself too as part of that collective. “Society” is not some distant removed entity for which we have no responsibility. Her comment was encouraging collective responsibility for fixing society’s problems, not denying that the collective exists in the first place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

One of his brothers is very ill in hospital. Doesn’t sound too good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,721 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Thatcher is always taken out of context with that line. The full quote makes clear that she was saying that “society†is made up of individuals and therefore when you rely on “society†to fix a problem, you’re relying on other people and relying on yourself too as part of that collective. “Society†is not some distant removed entity for which we have no responsibility. Her comment was encouraging collective responsibility for fixing society’s problems, not denying that the collective exists in the first place

So by defunding the public sector and privatising everything and anything in sight, this helped the collective by......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Gael23 wrote: »
    If he was taking this seriously, then I would of course feel bad for him, though if he was following his older brothers 'hoax' routine there's no getting around the fact that he had it coming and he gets as much sympathy for me as Herman Cain did, e.g. absolutely none.

I'm not familiar with the guy though, is anyone else? He seems fairly low profile compared to Donny Two Scoops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Gael23 wrote: »

He was previously hospitalised for a 'serious condition' in June, both before and after the Mary Trump book was challenged by him in Court. He was treated then in the neurosciences ICU, which deals with brain related issues such as stroke, haemorrhage, tumours etc.

So, assuming this is related, it doesn't look good for him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,225 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    So by defunding the public sector and privatising everything and anything in sight, this helped the collective by......

Mod: Leave it there please. This is off topic.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

If he was taking this seriously, then I would of course feel bad for him, though if he was following his older brothers 'hoax' routine there's no getting around the fact that he had it coming and he gets as much sympathy for me as Herman Cain did, e.g. absolutely none.

I'm not familiar with the guy though, is anyone else? He seems fairly low profile compared to Donny Two Scoops.

Speaking of Herman Cain, he's still tweeting nonsense, in spite of the slight impediment that he's been dead for the past two weeks

https://twitter.com/THEHermanCain/status/1293642931610427392

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement