Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So WH chief of staff Mark meadows when it was put to him by jake tapper that there is no evidence of widespread voter fraud with mail in voting, the chief of staff replied that there isn't any evidence that their isn't voter fraud. That's where the trump White House is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,898 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So WH chief of staff Mark meadows when it was put to him by jake tapper that there is no evidence of widespread voter fraud with mail in voting, the chief of staff replied that there isn't any evidence that their isn't voter fraud. That's where the trump White House is.
    “We don’t have evidence there isn’t an alien man living in an underground bunker on to the moon and therefore it is my great pleasure to announce we are sending up a mission to the moon to deliver that man a pizza before he blows us up with his death ray we don’t have evidence of him not possessing. God Speed men. The fate of humanity rests on you stopping that lunatic!”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,820 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Evidence based alternative facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I found it pretty hypocritical of Pelosi to talk about trying to address the issues with the USPS when she, along with the majority of the House, voted for H.R.22 - Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act. So many of the problems faced by the USPS stem directly from this.

https://clerk.house.gov/Votes/2005430

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,817 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I found it pretty hypocritical of Pelosi to talk about trying to address the issues with the USPS when she, along with the majority of the House, voted for H.R.22 - Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act. So many of the problems faced by the USPS stem directly from this.

Can you explain how a vote 15 years ago is relevant in Trump appointing someone whose family owns businesses which compete with the USPS as its head official and who then starts to do things which will impact on peoples ability to vote in an upcoming election in the same manner by which Trump and his wife have selected to vote?

Interested to see the correlation here.

• Advertisement

aloyisious wrote: »
    Evidence based alternative facts.

It was like during the 2016 RNC where newt Gingrich tried to say the American people didn't feel the crime statistics were down even though the general trend was down. Feelings are all well and good but feelings don't equal facts as a given. You can feel a certain way based on facts but newt Gingrich was spinning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,898 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

An act from 15 years ago? Lol. No the problem is Congress has been trying to fund the post office since at least April and Trump has threatened to veto any bill that includes funding of any kind for USPS. He is actively defunding them. There is your problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

His brother has died

Can you explain how a vote 15 years ago is relevant in Trump appointing someone whose family owns businesses which compete with the USPS as its head official and who then starts to do things which will impact on peoples ability to vote in an upcoming election in the same manner by which Trump and his wife have selected to vote?

Interested to see the correlation here.

It's relevant because the issues that are plaguing the USPS didn't materialise with the crook that Trump appointed. They are systemic and many can be traced directly to that Bill. One that was widely supported by Democrats at the time.

For Pelosi to act as though Trump and the Republicans are singularly responsible is hypocritical to say the least. It speaks to self interest and political point scoring, as opposed to a genuine concern to correct the problem. Then again, performative acts are nothing new for the Democrats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,617 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

It's relevant because the issues that are plaguing the USPS didn't materialise with the crook that Trump appointed. They are systemic and many can be traced directly to that Bill. One that was widely supported by Democrats at the time.

For Pelosi to act as though Trump and the Republicans are singularly responsible is hypocritical to say the least. It speaks to self interest and political point scoring, as opposed to a genuine concern to correct the problem. Then again, performative acts are nothing new for the Democrats.

Since Trumps acolyte took over

Mail boxes have been removed, postal sorting machines have been removed. Trump is afraid of the postal vote, not because of any "fraud" but because its his next step in voter suppression after closing thousands of voting centers. He knows the only way he can get a second term is to cheat and steal.it.

• Advertisement

Did that bill which you reference specify that drop boxes were to be removed from many streets, or that sorting machines were to be removed and overtime stopped ? No that's on the ****ehawk now the postmaster general who is the first to have had no experience within the postal service.

Did that bill which you reference specify that drop boxes were to be removed from many streets, or that sorting machines were to be removed and overtime stopped ? No that's on the ****ehawk now the postmaster general who is the first to have had no experience within the postal service.

I would agree, but that doesn't change what precipitated the funding issues facing the USPS. I love a good anti-Trump screed as much as the next person, but that shouldn't preclude examining the actual root cause.

Don't know how you could write the bit in bold and then detract from it by talking about other issues.

Why wouldn't shady politicians behave in this way when people can see the sh*t they pull and just give them a pass on it.

But yeah, the Democrats.

Don't know how you could write the bit in bold and then detract from it by talking about other issues.

Why wouldn't shady politicians behave in this way when people can see the sh*t they pull and just give them a pass on it.

But yeah, the Democrats.

I don't know how you could read my original post and completely miss the point. Pelosi and the Democrats, along with the Republicans, voted for a Bill which directly caused the majority of the issues currently faced by the USPS. Those problems play into the current crisis, and are being exploited by Trump in an effort to increase disenfranchisement. For her to try and claim the moral high ground whiffs of hypocrisy.

It's not like the Democrats couldn't have foreseen the likelihood of Trump using voter suppression to aid his reelection efforts. Where was the concern last year, or any of the preceding ones? It's all for show, like most of Pelosi's actions.

I don't know how you could read my original post and completely miss the point. Pelosi and the Democrats, along with the Republicans, voted for a Bill which directly caused the majority of the issues currently faced by the USPS. Those problems play into the current crisis, and are being exploited by Trump in an effort to increase disenfranchisement. For her to try and claim the moral high ground whiffs of hypocrisy.

It's not like the Democrats couldn't have foreseen the likelihood of Trump using voter suppression to aid his reelection efforts. Where was the concern last year, or any of the preceding ones? It's all for show, like most of Pelosi's actions.

Everyone who read your post interpreted it in the same way.

The issue right now today,, August 16th, 2020 is the practices which are being carried out within the USPS to restrict people voting in the upcoming Presidential election.

And your last paragraph that the Dems should be acting because of the expected event of Trump using voter suppression. Like FFS, really? How about the President of the United States doesn't do that or his party announces that he should be investigated for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

I don't know how you could read my original post and completely miss the point. Pelosi and the Democrats, along with the Republicans, voted for a Bill which directly caused the majority of the issues currently faced by the USPS.
    How did a bill from 15 years ago directly cause the mass removal of mail boxes and mail sorting machines over began in the last week or two?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭amandstu

Trumps actions are unprecedented.It is hard to predict how low he will stoop to achieve his aims.

Was this crony takeover of the postal service as a method of creating confusion in the electoral and democratic process foreseen by anyone?

Or is this hindsight?

Even with human crud like Trump most people give him some kind of a benefit of the doubt.

It seems to be a fatal weakness not to anticipate seriously his sick moves.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Detritus70

It's funny how the republicans have done absolutely nothing about this apparently glaring issue, even when they had both houses.
    There was a problem, it wasn't fixed and now it's someone else's fault. I guess that's politics.
    There is a good proverb for that. Don't look for scapegoats, look for solutions.
    If I'm on a leaky boat and the captain is taking an axe to the leak, I'm rather less interested why the leak is there, but why the current captain is making it worse on purpose.

Fully Automated Luxury Gay Space Communism

So its the Democrats fault because they couldn't see 15 years into the future?

So its the Democrats fault because they couldn't see 15 years into the future?

They could have foreseen this any time in the last 3 years, or the preceding 8 when the Republican's efforts at disenfranchisement were being enacted. They could have been more vocal about the need to correct the issues facing the Postal service, which as an institution, is held in high regard across the political spectrum.

• Advertisement

They could have foreseen this any time in the last 3 years, or the preceding 8 when the Republican's efforts at disenfranchisement were being enacted. They could have been more vocal about the need to correct the issues facing the Postal service, which as an institution, is held in high regard across the political spectrum.

But to point out the President should not be trying to do this is 'Trump bashing'?

It's telling that no one is even denying that that is what Trump is up to at this point, but just that others should stop him doing it.

It's victim blaming (bet you love that phrase) at a Presidential level.

How did a bill from 15 years ago directly cause the mass removal of mail boxes and mail sorting machines over began in the last week or two?

The current crony serving as Postmaster General is using the pretext of financial reorganisation and restructuring as a stalking horse, both to strengthen his personal financial position and to further Trump's reelection strategy.

But to point out the President should not be trying to do this is 'Trump bashing'?

It's telling that no one is even denying that that is what Trump is up to at this point, but just that others should stop him doing it.

It's victim blaming (bet you love that phrase) at a Presidential level.

The point is that the Democrats are useless, and have played into Trump's hand. They have let the Senate Republicans in particular run roughshod over them for the last 8+years

The point is that the Democrats are useless, and have played into Trump's hand. They have let the Senate Republicans in particular run roughshod over them for the last 8+years

Republicans have had control of the senate for 6 years and they had control of the house for 4 years before that.

What should the Democrats have done?
    What do you think the Republicans should be doing now?

Republicans have had control of the senate for 6 years and they had control of the house for 4 years before that.

What should the Democrats have done?
    What do you think the Republicans should be doing now?

The Democrats could've been highlighting these issues long before now, but pressure on the Republicans to address it. They could have set the public narrative around the issue, framing it for the public, as opposed to letting Trump frame the terms.

The Democrats could've been highlighting these issues long before now, but pressure on the Republicans to address it. They could have set the public narrative around the issue, framing it for the public, as opposed to letting Trump frame the terms.

Yeah, democratic efforts to bring about a cohesive and meaningful plan on Covid were successful.
    Democratic efforts to not pull the US out of the Paris accord similarly convinced the Republicans to act.
    Democratic efforts to impeach the President for quid pro quo behaviour really convinced the Republicans, who still voted not to impeach mind.

But, as I asked already, what should the Republicans be doing?

Yeah, democratic efforts to bring about a cohesive and meaningful plan on Covid were successful.
    Democratic efforts to not pull the US out of the Paris accord similarly convinced the Republicans to act.
    Democratic efforts to impeach the President for quid pro quo behaviour really convinced the Republicans, who still voted not to impeach mind.

But, as I asked already, what should the Republicans be doing?

Practicing good governance, but they abandoned that decades ago.

Practicing good governance, but they abandoned that decades ago.

So, in your words, the President is practicing voting suppression, the Republicans have abandoned good governance, but the Democrats are at fault for the current situation in the USPS?

Is that your position?

So they should have seen the future? The postal union has spoken in favour of Biden, I honestly think at this stage that Trump wants to lose, he knows he is way out of his depth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

So they should have seen the future? The postal union has spoken in favour of Biden, I honestly think at this stage that Trump wants to lose, he knows he is way out of his depth.

He knows that the only thing keeping him out of jail is a tame AG and his position in the White House.

There is 0 chance that if he goes down, he doesn't go down kicking and screaming.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement