Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭FionnK86

I would imagine he will accept the result if he loses.

He'll accept it, except say on Twitter he was robbed, support qAnon theory and not show up to official events (presidential funerals, etc) to show he's sticking up for the little guy.

I really can't see him sitting beside Bush and Obama at these event.s

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

So why is he saying he won't?

When asked on Fox this week he said "We'll have to see , we'll have to see" and then later at one of his mini-rallies he said that the only way he could lose the election would be if it was rigged.

That doesn't sound like someone planning to accept the result if he loses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    So why is he saying he won't?

When asked on Fox this week he said "We'll have to see , we'll have to see" and then later at one of his mini-rallies he said that the only way he could lose the election would be if it was rigged.

That doesn't sound like someone planning to accept the result if he loses.

Im not sure . I don't watch fox news. Il have to take your word for it.

Cant see it happening though. Sounds like another conspiracy.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,617 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Im not sure . I don't watch fox news. Il have to take your word for it.

Cant see it happening though. Sounds like another conspiracy.

The man has already literally hinted at it, he also said if he wins he should get a third term. How does that make it a conspiracy?

• Advertisement

Hes full of bluster. Most likely just another lie to add to the 20,000 or so since he took office.
    That must be what 200 lies a day or so?
    How can someone tell 200 lies a day for 1000k days straight and who is there to count each line and lie. A team of fact checkers. His office must be bugged

America huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Hes full of bluster. Most likely just another lie to add to the 20,000 or so since he took office.
    How can someone tell 200 lies a day for 1000k days straight and who is there to count each line and lie. A team of fact checkers. His office must be bugged

America huh?

A fact checker would tell you that 20,000 lies over a 1,000 days would be an average of 20 lies a day. Given the way he rambles, that wouldn't be a hard figure for him to hit.

America huh?

Indeed.

But all these lies take a toll on the fundamental confidence in the State.

He "lies" about accepting the results and some people will believe him and lose (more) faith in the integrity of their country.

How is that in any way acceptable from the leader of the country??

A fact checker would tell you that 20,000 lies over a 1,000 days would be an average of 20 lies a day. Given the way he rambles, that wouldn't be a hard figure for him to hit.

So it is.
    Touche

His single day record is 62 - Most of which came in a Hannity interview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,817 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

America huh?

These are the lies he has issued in public either verbally or via Twitter.

He's probably hitting a thousand month behind closed doors.

He claimed voter fraud when Clinton got the popular vote so he is not known for accepting results that go against him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,374 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

He claimed voter fraud when Clinton got the popular vote so he is not known for accepting results that go against him.

I’m sure he won’t accept the result if he loses but as I’ve said before he doesn’t strike me as someone who would put themselves in any kind of physical danger even as simple as being manhandled out the door. He’ll kick up a stink throw a tantrum but won’t risk himself in any physical sense. He has enough disciples to get themselves hurt for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

He has already explicitly stated he won't, repeatedly I believe. The latest example of this is literally from within the last 24 hours.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/512424-trump-the-only-way-we-are-going-to-lose-this-election-is-if-the
    "We have to win the election. We can't play games. Go out and vote. Do those beautiful absentee ballots, or just make sure your vote gets counted. Make sure because the only way we're going to lose this election is if the election is rigged," Trump told the group of supporters at the outdoor campaign event. "Remember that. It's the only way we're going to lose this election, so we have to be very careful."

And we know this isn't just bluster, because he couldn't even accept when he won in 2016 because he lost the popular vote. He literally set up a commission to investigate it, which wound up finding absolutely nothing of what he had claimed was true. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presidential_Advisory_Commission_on_Election_Integrity

While opening up money to fund these, he was also taking money out of the CDC and their specific pandemic unit set up after swine flu (if I recall), which in turn has led to the deaths of tens of thousands more Americans than would have died, had hi administration been more prepared) and not called it a hoax whiek encouraging people to spread it with armed anti lockdown 'liberation' protests).

salmocab wrote: »
    I’m sure he won’t accept the result if he loses but as I’ve said before he doesn’t strike me as someone who would put themselves in any kind of physical danger even as simple as being manhandled out the door. He’ll kick up a stink throw a tantrum but won’t risk himself in any physical sense. He has enough disciples to get themselves hurt for him.

Without question , but what he will do if it's close is kick off a barrage of lawsuits a la Bush in 2000 trying to delegitimise the result.

For example , If Biden were to flip Pennsylvania , Wisconsin and Michigan by a similar margin to Trump's 2016 wins in those States there is absolutely zero chance that Trump accepts that.

He will launch a multitude of lawsuits to try and overturn the result - all the way to the Supreme court.

I know that the States have a margin below which candidates can challenge and/or look for recounts.

Biden has to win those States by margins well beyond those trigger thresholds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

It will be a lot more, and a lot more sinister, than simply demanding recounts. Jill Stein (aka the 2016 candidate who famously loves having dinners with Putin and Mike Flynn) demanded recounts in some states after the last election, and if I recall they simply took place in tandem with Trump assuming office.

It won't be about recounts if Trump loses, it will be about heavily escalated "liberation" attempts as well as a rush to try and get the Supreme Court and/or Senate and/or Barr to state the election was bogus and so not only can the result not be accepted, but the order of succession that would then see Pelosi take office in January rather than Biden deemed null and void so Trump can continue.

I can't see the Senate beyond Clarence Thomas and Kavanagh siding with Trump there, but I could see every senator outside of Romney clamoring to do so, and we can safely state for a fact that Barr would already have been on it before even requested - it would likely be him building the claim on a mountain of lies as he has proven fond of doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,315 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

He hasn't even accepted the popular vote result from 2016. He's been laying the groundwork for the last few years to throw this year's election result into doubt before it's even happened. Just yesterday he said the only way he'll lose the election is rigged. He's intent on causing chaos with the election.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    He hasn't even accepted the popular vote result from 2016. He's been laying the groundwork for the last few years to throw this year's election result into doubt before it's even happened. Just yesterday he said the only way he'll lose the election is rigged. He's intent on causing chaos with the election.

When I say he will or won't accept it i mean if he will wilfully leave or refuse to go.

What he actually thinks himself in his head is any ones guess

namloc1980 wrote: »

And to re-enforce that he's just said that if the result doesn't go his way the election should be re-run.

And to re-enforce that he's just said that if the result doesn't go his way the election should be re-run.

I hope the people who are saying he'll just accept the result are correct. But it's becoming increasingly likely he's going to create a constitutional crisis unlike any other after Election Day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭abff

I realise that this is just an 'aha' moment for me that many people have reached before now. But I have just figured out what Trump has been saying about postal voting.

His premise is that any postal vote against him is clearly fraudulent and must be challenged/overturned/dismissed. This is so ludicrous that it should just be dismissed out of hand, but unfortunately there are quite a lot of idiots who will believe this and also quite a few conscienceless Republicans who will go along with it if it means holding onto power at all costs.

What a strange, sad world we're living in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,820 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

The US Postmaster General louis DeJoy has stated he WILL suspend all operational changes to Postal Services until after the election, according to MSN news. DeJoy said that Post Office retail hours will not change; mail-processing equipment and blue collection boxes will remain where they are; no mail processing facilities will be shuttered; and overtime will continue being approved as needed. Over the past week, new cost-cutting changes to Postal Service operations have delayed mail delivery in some parts of the country, sparking concerns that mail ballots may not be delivered in time for the November election. "To avoid even the appearance of any impact on election mail, I am suspending these initiatives until after the election is concluded," DeJoy said in a Tuesday statement. DeJoy said he wanted to "assure all Americans" of the following: "Retail hours at Post Offices will not change. Mail processing equipment and blue collection boxes will remain where they are. No mail processing facilities will be closed." And we reassert that overtime has, and will continue to be, approved as needed."

Given that the USPS trade union has said changes and equipment removals have already taken place and there is no mention of returning such equipment to service in DeJoy's statement, harm done to date by him may not be repaired to allow for the usual USPS service of mail-in ballots. It's possible his statement is an attempt to stop court actions being taken against him and his disestablishment of the postal service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Surprised not to see it mentioned here (or maybe I missed it) but trump actually claimed last night that New Zealand are experiencing a terrible surge in Covid and he doesn’t want the US going the same way. NZ had 9 cases yesterday. Quite rightly called out for the bull**** it was by Ardern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭abff

fullstop wrote: »
    Surprised not to see it mentioned here (or maybe I missed it) but trump actually claimed last night that New Zealand are experiencing a terrible surge in Covid and he doesn’t want the US going the same way. NZ had 9 cases yesterday. Quite rightly called out for the bull**** it was by Ardern.

Can't remember what chat show it was, but I remember the host telling her that she was the exact opposite of Trump (or words to that effect). Got a great round of applause from the audience and pretty much sums up how most people view the two of them.

fullstop wrote: »

Even more incredibly he said this yesterday when the US recorded 40k new cases and 600 deaths.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

aloyisious wrote: »
    The US Postmaster General louis DeJoy has stated he WILL suspend all operational changes to Postal Services until after the election, according to MSN news.
    And we reassert that overtime has, and will continue to be, approved as needed."

Given that the USPS trade union has said changes and equipment removals have already taken place and there is no mention of returning such equipment to service in DeJoy's statement, harm done to date by him may not be repaired to allow for the usual USPS service of mail-in ballots. It's possible his statement is an attempt to stop court actions being taken against him and his disestablishment of the postal service.

"Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds"

Trump is an existential threat to rural communities who depend on the postal service.

Pelosi says suspension ‘does not reverse damage already done’ Best comment I've seen was something like "It's the US Postal Service, not the US Postal Business"

Trump has a beef with Amazon because Bezos owns a newspaper that he doesn't like, which means he isn't well disposed to the postal service :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,902 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

"Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds"

Trump is an existential threat to rural communities who depend on the postal service.

Pelosi says suspension ‘does not reverse damage already done’ Best comment I've seen was something like "It's the US Postal Service, not the US Postal Business"

Trump has a beef with Amazon because Bezos owns a newspaper that he doesn't like, which means he isn't well disposed to the postal service :confused:

https://www.clearwatertribune.com/news/community_news/where-the-postman-s-motto-originated/article_9030c91a-4ba4-11e7-bbd5-03a6c67e0d68.html#:~:text=According%20to%20Wikipedia%2C%20the%20original,completion%20of%20their%20appointed%20rounds.%E2%80%9D

Many of us have heard the postal carriers’ motto in one form or another. “Neither rain, nor snow, nor sleet, nor hail shall keep the postmen from their appointed rounds.”

According to Wikipedia, the original saying was spoken about 2500 years ago by the Greek historian, Herodotus. He actually said “Neither snow, nor rain, nor heat, nor gloom of night stays these courageous couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds.”

This was said during the war between the Greeks and Persians about 500 B.C. in reference to the Persian mounted postal couriers whom he observed and held in high esteem.

According to the U.S.P.S. they have no slogan at all. The reason it has become identified with the U.S.P.S. is because, back in 1896-97, when the New York City General Post Office was being designed, Mitchell Kendal, an employee for the architectural firm, McKim, Mead and White, came up with the idea of engraving Herodotus’ saying all around the outside of the building.

From that time on the saying has been associated with U.S. postal carriers.

.... makes me wonder: why not make the military responsible for the delivery of the mail?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,820 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I wonder what his reply would be if a reporter asked him if he could trust the USPS to collect and deliver his mail-in ballot papers to the count centre set aside for the constituency he lives at officially for voting purposes in Florida? I know he said the Florida vote system is secure and couldn't be rigged but delivery would be a different matter.

aloyisious wrote: »
    I wonder what his reply would be if a reporter asked him if he could trust the USPS to collect and deliver his mail-in ballot papers to the count centre set aside for the constituency he lives at officially for voting purposes in Florida? I know he said the Florida vote system is secure and couldn't be rigged but delivery would be a different matter.

He actually got someone to pick up and drop off his vote yesterday for the Florida Primary..

Trump did not make the deadline for having the ballot mailed to him by requesting it 10 days before the election. He took advantage of a rule allowing the ballots to be picked up in person or by a designated representative, in this case Alejandro Garcia.

Florida voters were required until 2002 to provide an excuse of their absence during an election to get what was then called an “absentee” ballot. The Florida Legislature changed the wording from “absentee” to “vote-by-mail” in 2016 to avoid confusing voters.

So his vote is "vote by mail" not "absentee" as he claims, even though there isn't any difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭jem

I actually but on a bet yesterday that I realy realy hope that I lose. put a 100 on trump to win will get 230 if he wins.
    Hope so so much that it is a losing bet.
    But I have a sneeky feeling that between voter supression, the numbers that just watch GOP TV etc that he will make it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement