Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,902 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

check_six wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember in the last few days before the 2016 election yer man was calling for armed insurrection if he did not win. It was combined with calls that the vote was fraudulent. The voter fraud message got more traction, but there was a demand to get shooty treasonous too. I couldn't understand why this wasn't made more of at the time.

This November I'm expecting more of the same in the dying days of the campaign. What could this lead to? Will we see armed militias 'protecting' voting centres? These are grim times.

We might.

I've been dragged for wanting to be a poll watcher, by my fiance. She is at high risk and I'm probably a moderate risk. So I'm really in a conflicted position about election day. I certainly would like to be there to ensure votes are counted, I can only imagine what my neighbors will see; being white in a white suburb I have never been challenged but I suspect my minority neighbors will have their credentials challenged left and right. We both have to vote in person either way in SC but we are hoping it will be a low traffic experience because of Covid-19.

People are trying to say AOC doesn't endorse Biden.

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/foxs-kilmeade-bizarrely-claims-aoc-leading-far-left-dem-takeover-with-hostage-video-endorsing-bernie-over-biden/

It takes a very special misunderstanding of what happened at the convention to conclude that. 2 people each officially nominate the candidates who filed the paperwork for nomination - Joe Biden, and Bernie Sanders. She was one of the 2 people to formally introduce the nomination for Bernie. The delegate roll call also counted the amount of delegates that Bernie Sanders received.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭serfboard

If you review the video, they spent more time pointing their guns at each other than anyone else! I'm going to forecast that one of them shoots off a toe trying to reholster a gun mid-rant/speech.
    My favourite prediction of this election cycle so far!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

This November I'm expecting more of the same in the dying days of the campaign. What could this lead to? Will we see armed militias 'protecting' voting centres? These are grim times.

No I doubt it. It's not realistic at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,820 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    The example of GWB and Florida is not remotely related to what Trump's loss conjures up. While the Bush/Gore showdown in FL made some of us sick at the time, it was conducted within the accepted rules and employed legal routes to a declared result. No-one intimated that his 'fine people' had 'many guns' or that the only way he would lose is that the election was rigged against him. No-one said they wanted another 4 or 8 years to be tacked on to his term to make up for legitimate Congressional and FBI investigations.

Florida will be an interesting case for the election as up to a million former convicted criminals have been given back THE RIGHT TO APPLY FOR their voting franchise after the state passed a change in the law to that effect via referendum [amendment 4] in 2018. Gov DeSantis [R] tried to get around the vote result bringing in a law to the effect the former criminals had to clear any court fees and fines they had outstanding in the state before getting the voting franchise back. At least one group [the Florida Rights Restoration Coalition] was set up to assist the former criminals get the right back and others [incl LeBron James] have been funding it. It's estimated a large proportion of the former criminals are Black or Hispanic. If those people take into account what Gov DeSantis did when they are voting in Nov, Trump and the GOP might well rue what Gov DeSantis did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

No I doubt it. It's not realistic at all.

Realism has no baring on anything in the United States. The checks and balances that both sides talked about in almost hushed tones for years were being held up as a way that Donald trump wouldnt go nuts but well it's nearly four years after the fact and those old checks and balances are in a bin somewhere.

Overheal wrote: »
    https://www.clearwatertribune.com/news/community_news/where-the-postman-s-motto-originated/article_9030c91a-4ba4-11e7-bbd5-03a6c67e0d68.html#:~:text=According%20to%20Wikipedia%2C%20the%20original,completion%20of%20their%20appointed%20rounds.%E2%80%9D

Many of us have heard the postal carriers’ motto in one form or another. “Neither rain, nor snow, nor sleet, nor hail shall keep the postmen from their appointed rounds.”

According to Wikipedia, the original saying was spoken about 2500 years ago by the Greek historian, Herodotus. He actually said “Neither snow, nor rain, nor heat, nor gloom of night stays these courageous couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds.”

This was said during the war between the Greeks and Persians about 500 B.C. in reference to the Persian mounted postal couriers whom he observed and held in high esteem.

According to the U.S.P.S. they have no slogan at all. The reason it has become identified with the U.S.P.S. is because, back in 1896-97, when the New York City General Post Office was being designed, Mitchell Kendal, an employee for the architectural firm, McKim, Mead and White, came up with the idea of engraving Herodotus’ saying all around the outside of the building.

From that time on the saying has been associated with U.S. postal carriers.

.... makes me wonder: why not make the military responsible for the delivery of the mail?

Found my answer to this: they already can.

CONPLAN 3501-08 already exists to allow the Military to augment the postal service during a crisis, which only requires POTUS or SecDef invocation.

https://publicintelligence.net/usnorthcom-dsca/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,035 ✭✭✭✭Penn

People are trying to say AOC doesn't endorse Biden.

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/foxs-kilmeade-bizarrely-claims-aoc-leading-far-left-dem-takeover-with-hostage-video-endorsing-bernie-over-biden/

It takes a very special misunderstanding of what happened at the convention to conclude that. 2 people each officially nominate the candidates who filed the paperwork for nomination - Joe Biden, and Bernie Sanders. She was one of the 2 people to formally introduce the nomination for Bernie. The delegate roll call also counted the amount of delegates that Bernie Sanders received.

The cynical part of me wonders if that was intentional by the Dem's higher-ups so AOC would get some negative press. Let's face it, if almost anyone else had done it instead of AOC as it's just a formality, I'm not sure it would have gotten much or any traction in the media.

I hope not, but I still wouldn't put it past them. As I said before, I'm more worried about the Dems self-sabotaging themselves than anything Trump can throw at them.

Penn wrote: »
    The cynical part of me wonders if that was intentional by the Dem's higher-ups so AOC would get some negative press.

Highly doubtful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,820 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Found my answer to this: they already can.

CONPLAN 3501-08 already exists to allow the Military to augment the postal service during a crisis, which only requires POTUS or SecDef invocation.

https://publicintelligence.net/usnorthcom-dsca/

It's most likely one of the multitude of plans the military are required to have in the filing cabinet to cover civil disturbance eventualities, same as providing Pers in the event of epidemics, preparedness-fashion. Interesting that Sec Defence can initiate it himself as a failsafe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,817 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

banie01 wrote: »
    When you think that Trumpism and its cultish lunacy can't ascend any further levels of absurdity...
    The GOP finds a way to actually pole vault any bar of taste, political correctness or indeed just actual consensus!

The 2 St Louis lawyers who decided to protect their property from a group of BLM protesters by waving guns around the place!
    Are going to endorse Don at the RNC congress.

That's good for the DNC.
    Like Clint Eastwood talking to the empty chair. The only people impressed by them, are already committed voters for Trump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

How shocking. Potential superspreader event at the Sturgis motorcycle rally. Like someone said, expect a lot of used chopper on the market soon. https://edition.cnn.com/2020/08/19/us/sturgis-south-dakota-rally-coronavirus-trnd/index.html

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

That's good for the DNC.
    Like Clint Eastwood talking to the empty chair. The only people impressed by them, are already committed voters for Trump.

No question.

I don't think I have seen anything to suggest that any speech at the GOP convention will be a call out to undecided voters saying "Hey, vote for us"

The entire Trump campaign premise is about utterly terrifying his existing support to drain every last vote out of them.

Absolutely zero attempt to win new voters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭briany

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    No question.

I don't think I have seen anything to suggest that any speech at the GOP convention will be a call out to undecided voters saying "Hey, vote for us"

The entire Trump campaign premise is about utterly terrifying his existing support to drain every last vote out of them.

Has Trump put out a proper 2nd term manifesto yet? I'm surprised he and his team haven't even put together a set of crazy promises appealing to fear and nostalgia, such as his 1st term ones were. I mean that's, what? An afternoon's work?

His whole platform appears to be that Biden and the DNC are the devil, and the election is rigged.

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    No question.

That's a good point. I hadn't thought of it as simply as that.

The DNC obviously trying to appeal to any undecided with having Colin Powell speak in favour of Biden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

briany wrote: »
    Has Trump put out a proper 2nd term manifesto yet? I'm surprised he and his team haven't even put together a set of crazy promises appealing to fear and nostalgia, such as his 1st term ones were. I mean that's, what? An afternoon's work?

His whole platform appears to be that Biden and the DNC are the devil, and the election is rigged.

sean hannity asked him that in a Fox News interview about what were his objectives for a second term and he didn't answer it. I mean it's a lay up question for an incumbent on a friendly network and he hit the rim.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    sean hannity asked him that in a Fox News interview about what were his objectives for a second term and he didn't answer it. I mean it's a lay up question for an incumbent on a friendly network and he hit the rim.

Sure he's manifesto in 2016 was 'Lock her up', 'Drain the Swamp' 'Build the wall'

0 for 3 there to use American terminology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Not a lot of dignity left in the office:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1296092859226042368

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

It's a poor source but Michael Wolff alleges in the beginning of Fire and Fury that Trump's plan was to lose in 2016, claim that it was rigged and ride the populist wave to profits via a new Trump TV network.

As I said, it's a poor source but I thought I'd mention it.

Sure back in 2016 Trump was actively, and consistently, claiming the election was rigged before it even happened. He started throwing that out there around September or early October quite a lot. If he lost, it was rigged and if he won it was fair.

Igotadose wrote: »
    How shocking. Potential superspreader event at the Sturgis motorcycle rally. Like someone said, expect a lot of used chopper on the market soon. https://edition.cnn.com/2020/08/19/us/sturgis-south-dakota-rally-coronavirus-trnd/index.html

It's a shame the VAT and VRT rates are so high, some of those bikes are bloody lovely!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Thargor wrote: »

I do love the constant projection from Trump land his supporters. I used to wonder if/when they would wake up and smell the coffee, but then they went and smashed all their coffee makers up around the time they were burning their Nike gear for supporting freedom of speech and peaceful protest (which they decry the lack of now).

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The GOP failed to deliver a new Party platform because with all the fannying about about the location and type of conference they were unable to hold the vote to ratify a new Party Manifesto so they've actually simply rolled over the one from 2016 , which includes random pot shots at "The President" etc.
    “The survival of the internet as we know it is at risk,” the platform reads. “Its gravest peril originates in the White House, the current occupant of which has launched a campaign, both at home and internationally, to subjugate it to agents of government.”
    The platform censures the “current” president — who in 2016 was, of course, Barack Obama — and his administration for, among other things, imposing “a social and cultural revolution,” causing a “huge increase in the national debt” and damaging relationships with international partners.

Given what has actually happened in the last 4 years it's actually still a fairly accurate summation of the state of the Presidency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Has he put out one forhis 1st term yet? He doesn't do policy, just noise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Thargor wrote: »

Eh, about that Donald....will he be going about in the presidential car like Fred Flintstone once he realises?

Efz1WYLXkAAAeaa?format=jpg&name=medium

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

What's the context of the Good Year thing, though I can take a guess. Honestly I applaud the MAGA hats because they must act as a useful shorthand on how to deal with or judge a person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭briany

jamule wrote: »
    Has he put out one forhis 1st term yet? He doesn't do policy, just noise

As I recall, Trump did come out with more detailed points of policy nearer to the 2016 election. He hasn't even come out with the marquee phrases this time around, never mind policy.

What the hell his debates with Biden will look like I do not know.

pixelburp wrote: »
    What's the context of the Good Year thing, though I can take a guess. Honestly I applaud the MAGA hats because they must act as a useful shorthand on how to deal with or judge a person.

Goodyear basically put out a thing saying they support BLM, don't want their employees saying things like Blue Lives Matter. Trump has had a fit over it because clearly it's an attack on him personally.

Also this happened. Trump saying they should get another 4 years (12 in total) as a redo because the mean Democrats don't like him and his corruption.

I'm astounded by any Conservative or American Constitution loving person who can support this man. His supporters are so happy to see a single man and his family take control of the country.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1295475269504032769

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

banie01 wrote: »
    When you think that Trumpism and its cultish lunacy can't ascend any further levels of absurdity...
    The GOP finds a way to actually pole vault any bar of taste, political correctness or indeed just actual consensus!

The 2 St Louis lawyers who decided to protect their property from a group of BLM protesters by waving guns around the place!
    Are going to endorse Don at the RNC congress.

Well, as the great and erudite philosopher once said (meaningfully and with deep empathy):

"It Is What It Is!"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember in the last few days before the 2016 election yer man was calling for armed insurrection if he did not win. It was combined with calls that the vote was fraudulent. The voter fraud message got more traction, but there was a demand to get shooty treasonous too. I couldn't understand why this wasn't made more of at the time.

He has alluded to "fine people" with the "best guns" many times... Me head is destroyed with the frequency (in both senses) of his dog-whistles in this regard... Not to mention the load of bikers he's called on as well, not one of whom could lift a fallen Harley without a hoist in the bed of their F-350s...

• Advertisement

We might.

I've been dragged for wanting to be a poll watcher, by my fiance. She is at high risk and I'm probably a moderate risk. So I'm really in a conflicted position about election day. I certainly would like to be there to ensure votes are counted, I can only imagine what my neighbors will see; being white in a white suburb I have never been challenged but I suspect my minority neighbors will have their credentials challenged left and right. We both have to vote in person either way in SC but we are hoping it will be a low traffic experience because of Covid-19.

What is the status of SC in terms of being a swing state or otherwise in your view?

My read is that SC is well-entrenched in support of Trump as of right now... However, perhaps the Graham/Harrison contest will be the more un-predictable one, depending on how Lady Graham performs between now and November. Frankly, I'd trade SC to Trump, if I could get anyone but Lindsey for the Senate...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement