Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Overheal wrote: »
    People are trying to say AOC doesn't endorse Biden.

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/foxs-kilmeade-bizarrely-claims-aoc-leading-far-left-dem-takeover-with-hostage-video-endorsing-bernie-over-biden/

It takes a very special misunderstanding of what happened at the convention to conclude that. 2 people each officially nominate the candidates who filed the paperwork for nomination - Joe Biden, and Bernie Sanders. She was one of the 2 people to formally introduce the nomination for Bernie. The delegate roll call also counted the amount of delegates that Bernie Sanders received.

They know well what the process is... When the likes of Laura Ingraham tried to gaslight the Cult, you know the truth is 180 degrees away...

serfboard wrote: »
    My favourite prediction of this election cycle so far!

How will they get their iron through the metal detectors?

Igotadose wrote: »
    How shocking. Potential superspreader event at the Sturgis motorcycle rally. Like someone said, expect a lot of used chopper on the market soon. https://edition.cnn.com/2020/08/19/us/sturgis-south-dakota-rally-coronavirus-trnd/index.html

Yeah, I'm sure they're very fine people... It always confused me what ppl had to do in order to 'win' a Darwin Award...

Now I know!

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    The GOP failed to deliver a new Party platform because with all the fannying about about the location and type of conference they were unable to hold the vote to ratify a new Party Manifesto so they've actually simply rolled over the one from 2016 , which includes random pot shots at "The President" etc.

Given what has actually happened in the last 4 years it's actually still a fairly accurate summation of the state of the Presidency.

Seriously??

I'm fairly clued in to US national politics...But why do I have to learn this on Boards, FFS???

WTF are the White House Correspondents doing, not putting this stuff to Kayleigh and KellyAnne???

Eh, about that Donald....will he be going about in the presidential car like Fred Flintstone once he realises?

Efz1WYLXkAAAeaa?format=jpg&name=medium

Awesome catch!!!

When you add them all up, between the POTUS and The Beast, history will look at that photo and will see only 4 Good Years....

Well, maybe 5 if you count the spare in the trunk as distinct from the spare in the back....

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    What's the context of the Good Year thing, though I can take a guess. Honestly I applaud the MAGA hats because they must act as a useful shorthand on how to deal with or judge a person.

Kayleigh's 'explanation' was that GoodYear said Black Lives Matter insignia were OK because they reflect social awareness, but MAGA and Thin Blue Line insignia were not, as they are both politically oriented and socially divisive...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

While far, far from the most harmful thing he has ever done, Trump wanting to buy Greenland off Denmark has to be the dumbest.

And it just got dumber (and to the surprise of nobody, a bit racist).

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/trump-wanted-to-swap-puerto-rico-for-greenland-ex-official-1.5071021
    WASHINGTON -- U.S. President Donald Trump wanted to sell Puerto Rico or swap it for Greenland because he viewed the territory as dirty and poor, a former senior administration official said Wednesday.

Miles Taylor, who was chief of staff at the Department of Homeland Security, said Trump expressed those views as the government undertook support operations after two massive hurricanes ravaged the Caribbean island in 2017.

Taylor told MSNBC that just before one 2018 trip by officials, Trump, who had regularly talked about acquiring Greenland from Denmark, seriously suggested he could trade away Puerto Rico.

"He told us, not only did he want to purchase Greenland, he actually said he wanted to see if we could sell Puerto Rico, could we swap Puerto Rico for Greenland, because in his words, Puerto Rico was dirty and the people were poor," Taylor said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,822 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Kayleigh's 'explanation' was that GoodYear said Black Lives Matter insignia were OK because they reflect social awareness, but MAGA and Thin Blue Line insignia were not, as they are both politically oriented and socially divisive...

Wow, that's one hell of a statement from the President's press secretary about his election advertising strategy and any relationship he has with a major player in U.S industry.

aloyisious wrote: »
    Wow, that's one hell of a statement from the President's press secretary about his election advertising strategy and any relationship he has with a major player in U.S industry.

Well, just remember that's Kayleigh 's interpretation of the situation, so the reality may be waaaay different.. But your point abt it being a helluva statement is right on point...I

Anyone care to see how Trump Administration grifters are invested in Good Year competitors? Or lads who might have shorted Good Year this week?

Anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,519 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Trying to deflect again today about NZ's "surge"

New cases in NZ today: 6
    In US: 39,000

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12358126

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Christy42

I see he is now also encouraging the anti semitic terrorist threat qAnon. Avoided stating outright he supports them but just pretended to not know what they were about. Knew enough to know they liked him, not a hope he wasn't briefed fully on them.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/aug/19/trump-qanon-praise-conspiracy-theory-believers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

"All I know is they like me". I get therapists and psychologists would never dream of diagnosing remotely, but ye gods if that isn't a huge red flag with that remark alone.

His answer when directly asked about qAnon's beliefs are also, in some small way, a practised politician's answer - choosing to focus on the idea that "saving the world" isn't a bad idea. Just, ya know, all the dangerous guff surrounding the motivations is the real problem. I'm sure wife beaters love their spouses in their own way, doesn't mean you take their support. But hey ho.

https://twitter.com/NewsPolitics/status/1296207958452436992

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,681 ✭✭✭✭looksee

On the Goodyear thing, there is a supposed Goodyear training slide or some such doing the rounds on twitter which states that its ok to support BLM and a heap of other stuff, but not MAGA. Goodyear have put out a statement saying that this is a spoof, their actual stand is
    The multinational company said in a statement Wednesday that "the visual in question was not created or distributed by Goodyear corporate, nor was it part of a diversity training."

"To be clear on our longstanding corporate policy, Goodyear has zero tolerance for any forms of harassment or discrimination," the statement said. "To enable a work environment free of those, we ask that associates refrain from workplace expressions in support of political campaigning for any candidate or political party, as well as similar forms of advocacy that fall outside the scope of racial justice and equity issues."

The company also said it appreciates the diverse viewpoints of its more than 60,000 associates, "which are at the heart of many of the policies we establish."

So no political stuff at all. Including but not limited to MAGA hats.

Goodyear makes the only kevlar tyres as found on the President's car, so if he takes them off he is going to be vulnerable. Almost all other tyres in the US are foreign made, just like MAGA hats. He has suggested that tyres made by an American firm that employs 60,000 people in 4 states, but mostly Ohio which is neck and neck Trump Biden, should be boycotted.

What he has done is not only seriously illegal (though I am not sure if the POTUS is included in that illegality) but is also going to annoy a lot of workers in Ohio. Hopefully he has shot himself in the foot.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

looksee wrote: »
    On the Goodyear thing, there is a supposed Goodyear training slide or some such doing the rounds on twitter which states that its ok to support BLM and a heap of other stuff, but not MAGA. Goodyear have put out a statement saying that this is a spoof, their actual stand is

So no political stuff at all. Including but not limited to MAGA hats.

Goodyear makes the only kevlar tyres as found on the President's car, so if he takes them off he is going to be vulnerable. Almost all other tyres in the US are foreign made, just like MAGA hats. He has suggested that tyres made by an American firm that employs 60,000 people in 4 states, but mostly Ohio which is neck and neck Trump Biden, should be boycotted.

What he has done is not only seriously illegal (though I am not sure if the POTUS is included in that illegality) but is also going to annoy a lot of workers in Ohio. Hopefully he has shot himself in the foot.

Was going to post about that.

So Trump , falls for a Fake News Twitter meme and basically all but guarantees that ~70,000 Adults in Ohio (and maybe more if you include family members etc.) won't vote for him.

70k is about 1.5% of the votes cast in 2016 - 1.5% in a State where he's behind 2.5% in the polls right now.

Tactical Genius that man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,697 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

So Trump , falls for a Fake News Twitter meme and basically all but guarantees that ~70,000 Adults in Ohio (and maybe more if you include family members etc.) won't vote for him.

70k is about 1.5% of the votes cast in 2016 - 1.5% in a State where he's behind 2.5% in the polls right now.

That 70k+ is on the basis of people actually voting with logic and reason.

It very much appears that many voters vote for Trump without either of these two, and in many cases have to actively ignore both to come to their position.

You will hear soon that Goodyear have become too woke, that they have been taken over by the PC Libtard cancel culture brigade and that is is perfectly fine to boycott them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That's assuming those 70,000 are even aware of the gaff: I know nothing of Ohio's media landscape, ha, or the state in general TBH, but this is where the reach and scope of something like the Sinclair Broadcasting network comes into play. Or indeed Fox: social media is a huge factor for sure, but if Undecided of Akron, Ohio is consuming Sinclair "news" reports every day, what chance is there of even being aware Trump trashed a local employer?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

pixelburp wrote: »
    That's assuming those 70,000 are even aware of the gaff: I know nothing of Ohio's media landscape, ha, or the state in general TBH, but this is where the reach and scope of something like the Sinclair Broadcasting network comes into play. Or indeed Fox: social media is a huge factor for sure, but if Undecided of Akron, Ohio is consuming Sinclair "news" reports every day, what chance is there of even being aware Trump trashed a local employer?

I was thinking in terms of the Employees of Goodyear and families along with suppliers potentially.

Surely something specifically about the company you work for would burn through any chaff thrown up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,196 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

What is the Thin blue Line thing about?

As for his remarks on GoodYear tires how funny would it be if they demanded he take there tires off the Beast. Sure it is not going to happen but it just goes to show how thick and stupid Trump is to have even said what he did about them and too have not done research or got informed, checked to make sure what was supposedly said by them was lagit first. I look forward to someone posting a gif or a cartoon whatever of the Beast with Trump in it and it with no tires lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,902 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    What is the status of SC in terms of being a swing state or otherwise in your view?

My read is that SC is well-entrenched in support of Trump as of right now... However, perhaps the Graham/Harrison contest will be the more un-predictable one, depending on how Lady Graham performs between now and November. Frankly, I'd trade SC to Trump, if I could get anyone but Lindsey for the Senate...

GOP will fight to hold the ground hard. It’s hard to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Surely something specifically about the company you work for would burn through any chaff thrown up?

This makes sense to you or me, but it's like a different planet in the US.

When you think of all the different groups of people that Trump has made despicable, obnoxious, sociopathically cruel public statements about, the Venn diagram of who he has attacked and grievously insulted must include every breathing human in the US. And yet 40%+ of the 130 million voters will *still* vote for him!

Is there any group that he hasn't had a go at at this stage? (Just the nazis, maybe?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

Steve Bannon just arrested for phoney 'build that wall' organisation taking donations.

Not sure how close he is to the centre of how much her personally profited but someone did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

More detail on the indictment (the full indictment is in the link below) against Bannon and three others by SDNY

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/steve-bannon-indicted-border-wall-fraud-donors/

Federal prosecutors in New York announced Thursday that Steve Bannon, President Trump's former White House chief strategist, has been indicted along with three others for their roles in defrauding donors related to a $25 million fundraising campaign to build a wall along the southern border.

Acting U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York Audrey Strauss said Bannon, Brian Kolfage, Andrew Badolato and Timothy Shea were arrested Thursday morning. Bannon, 66, is set to appear before a federal judge in Manhattan.

The four men are accused of defrauding hundreds of thousands of people who donated to the "We Build the Wall" fundraising campaign that raked in more than $25 million to build a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border, according to the indictment. Federal prosecutors said that while donors were assured 100% of the money raised would be used to build the wall, those claims were false.

Instead, the Justice Department said the men profited from the fundraising scheme. Bannon allegedly received more than $1 million from "We Build the Wall," which was funneled through a non-profit he controlled and some of which was used to cover his personal expenses.

To hide the payments from the fundraising campaign, federal prosecutors said the four men routed money through the nonprofit and a shell company controlled by Shea.

Each of the four are charged with one count of conspiracy to commit wire fraud and one count of conspiracy to commit money laundering, federal prosecutors said. Each carries a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison.

More detail on the indictment against Bannon and three others by SDNY

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/steve-bannon-indicted-border-wall-fraud-donors/

This is the wall that's falling into the Rio Grande that Trump said was built to make him look bad a few weeks ago.

How right he was!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,035 ✭✭✭✭Penn

A federal judge has also dismissed Trump's attempt to block Vance's investigation and upholds the subpeonas issued.

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1296444520683450368?s=20

I doubt we'll see any lowercase letters on Trump's Twitter account today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Russian opposition leader Alexey Navalny in a coma after being poisoned. By who, we just don't know.

Expect a "very strong" condemnation by Trump.

AMKC wrote: »
    What is the Thin blue Line thing about?

As for his remarks on GoodYear tires how funny would it be if they demanded he take there tires off the Beast. Sure it is not going to happen but it just goes to show how thick and stupid Trump is to have even said what he did about them and too have not done research or got informed, checked to make sure what was supposedly said by them was lagit first. I look forward to someone posting a gif or a cartoon whatever of the Beast with Trump in it and it with no tires lol.

I think the Thin Blue Line refers to the police but could be wrong. The title was used for the Rowan Atkinson comedy series.

Re GoodYear, Trump's had an issue with a political take-off of it's standard advertising tool [the blimp] for a while now.

This is the wall that's falling into the Rio Grande that Trump said was built to make him look bad a few weeks ago.

How right he was!

So he can't really step in to defend the reputation of this wall building [whatever about thinking/responding to the federal arrest/charges against Bannon & Co by using his presidential pardon powers] whilst taking a swipe at SDNY again.

Penn wrote: »
    A federal judge has also dismissed Trump's attempt to block Vance's investigation and upholds the subpeonas issued.

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1296444520683450368?s=20

I doubt we'll see any lowercase letters on Trump's Twitter account today.

Is this that case? https://www.cbsnews.com/news/federal-judge-tosses-trump-attempt-to-block-tax-return-subpoena/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Russian opposition leader Alexey Navalny in a coma after being poisoned. By who, we just don't know.

Probably poisoned as he didn't live on the second floor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

While far, far from the most harmful thing he has ever done, Trump wanting to buy Greenland off Denmark has to be the dumbest.

And it just got dumber (and to the surprise of nobody, a bit racist).

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/trump-wanted-to-swap-puerto-rico-for-greenland-ex-official-1.5071021

The United states has been talking about buying Greenland since 1867

"Since 1867, the United States has considered, or made, several proposals to purchase the island of Greenland from Denmark, as it did with the Danish West Indies in 1917. While Greenland remains an autonomous territory within the Kingdom of Denmark, a 1951 treaty gives the United States much control over an island it once partially claimed from exploration"

It wasn't Trumps idea.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement