Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,134 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

briany wrote: »
    24 hour news in America is very bad, and worse that it's become so polarised. Networks like Fox News and OANN make no secret of their dislike of Biden and the Democrats, but by the same token CNN and MSNBC make no secret of their dislike of Trump and the Republicans.

The news used to be a man or a woman at a desk giving you a fairly dry report of the day's events. But these news channels give you the day's events and then spend the rest of the time telling you what you should think about it, and that can vary pretty dramatically depending on their broad worldview. It's tantamount to brainwashing. Worse still is that with the rise of social media and the 'news' found there, news channels have had to up the ante to compete.

CNN do try to be somewhat objective, but MSNBC and Fox are nothing more than propaganda arms for the two main parties.

The damage those 2 networks have done is impossible to describe especially in these times.

To be fair though the money is the echo chambers these days, both networks know the people who watch them have no interest in seeking out an opposing POV and so you can just keep spoon feeding them propaganda and the country gets more polarised.

Its not as bad in the UK although not ideal. BBC does have strong tory leanings, but does challenge Boris now and then. Channel 4 left leaning but has called out Labour previously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

opawaman wrote: »
    Both Trump and Bolsonaro are Jesus freaks so you can not expect intelligence

I actually don't believe Trump is a Jesus freak at all. I think he just plays in to it because so many of his base are.

I doubt he could say the "Our Father" straight through without it being something like out of that Will Ferrell movie The Campaign

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,722 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I actually don't believe Trump is a Jesus freak at all. I think he just plays in to it because so many of his base are.

I completely agree with this, a narcissist would use anything at their disposal for personal gain, I suspect he has little or no interest in religion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,697 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I completely agree with this, a narcissist would use anything at their disposal for personal gain, I suspect he has little or no interest in religion

It is on the same basis that I don't think he is actually a racist. He doesn't care either way. If a black person has money and power then he is perfectly happy to use them.

But, he sees that there are plenty of racists in the US, and they live in great fear of the minorities taking over and plays on that fear and gives them something to cling to.

He is very skilled and doing and saying just enough to get the message out to the target audience (there are good people on both sides) without coming out and saying the actual real message.

KAC, long time advisor and one that is credited with steadying and ultimately winning the 2016 election campaign for Trump has announced she is to step down.

This announcement comes just a day before the GoP convention and 70 odd days out from an election that the polls, at present, show the current POTUS behind.

This was not part of some plan. For whatever the reasons, and I have no idea what those reasons are and do not care to guess, this is a major blow to Trump and his campaign.

She has been one of the senior members of the administration, being a major proponent of Trump and always available, and skilled, at getting the Trump message out or damping down negative reactions to Trump.

It is a sign that Trump is seriously in trouble. Very few of the team that helped him triumph in 2016 are still involved.

I very much doubt that she will be fed to the wolves like previous leavers have been, and I doubt she will have anything negative to say with regards to Trump, so outwardly the impact may appear to be less damaging that previous leavers, but I think the effect on Trump re election is about as serious as it gets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

KAC is to leave the white House at the end of the month citing family reasons. Needing to focus on her family. "Less drama, more mama"

Seems to be a deal between herself and her husband, who is also going to step back from his role in the Lincoln project.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,715 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Leroy42 wrote: »
    KAC, long time advisor and one that is credited with steadying and ultimately winning the 2016 election campaign for Trump has announced she is to step down.
    George Conway's dropping out of Project Lincoln now, too. Too bad.
    I believe them when they say its to be there for their family as the kids are starting school again. And I'm sure KAC will be answering desperation e-mails and phone calls from the #IMPOTUS.
    This announcement comes just a day before the GoP convention and 70 odd days out from an election that the polls, at present, show the current POTUS behind.

This was not part of some plan. For whatever the reasons, and I have no idea what those reasons are and do not care to guess, this is a major blow to Trump and his campaign.

She has been one of the senior members of the administration, being a major proponent of Trump and always available, and skilled, at getting the Trump message out or damping down negative reactions to Trump.

It is a sign that Trump is seriously in trouble. Very few of the team that helped him triumph in 2016 are still involved.

I very much doubt that she will be fed to the wolves like previous leavers have been, and I doubt she will have anything negative to say with regards to Trump, so outwardly the impact may appear to be less damaging that previous leavers, but I think the effect on Trump re election is about as serious as it gets.

Yeah, if the #IMPOTUS loses by a landslide, she won't be thrown to the wolves. That'll be Bill Stepiens job, though the #IMPOTUS can pick someone else, though I don't think Steve Bannon would be a good choice right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

There have been so many mystifying moments these past 4 years but the toxic soup that is the KAC and George relationship is something I'll never understand.

Sounds like they have finally done the right thing for their daughter, but way to late for the poor girl.

I'm also sorry that as part of their peace deal, KAC resigns from being a septic mouthpiece while George has to give up his very worthy work.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I think their 15 year old daughter is filing for "divorce" from her parents as living with the two of them is just too nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭briany

FrostyJack wrote: »
    It is this exact format that got Trump elected. Chris Christie or KAC would be on a panel with someone from the Clinton side and both would talk over themselves while the anchor sat there trying to be impartial. The affect of this was it seemed both sides had equal weight and it fit whatever bias you wanted. Say in the ten minute segment someone said Trump was a racist, KAC would say I worked with him everyday and he shows no signs of this, then when the other went to give the examples the segment would end and if you are a Trump supporter, you would think, typical liberal throwing the racism card. Repeat this process every hour for months and you have President Trump. When KAC or Rudy or some other hack says that, the anchor should fact check it or give time to rebutt. The way the short form conversations work who ever gets the zinger wins. If CNN and MSNBC etc didn't just try to be fair more sunlight would have been put on Trump's lies and unfit nature for the job.

Basically what you're saying is that the quality of moderation was poor. The answer to that is not necessarily to become partisan but to learn how to do better moderation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

briany wrote: »
    Basically what you're saying is that the quality of moderation was poor. The answer to that is not necessarily to become partisan but to learn how to do better moderation.

Proper moderation should have control over their microphones...

Shout over the other person while it's their turn to speak- cut mic..
    Go over allotted time - cut mic..
    Waffle and BS- cut mic..
    Ignore moderator- cut mic..

Have background fact-checking running with real-time lie counter on screen per candidate

In other words, make it like a real game show... Buzzers and all...

robinph wrote: »
    I think their 15 year old daughter is filing for "divorce" from her parents as living with the two of them is just too nuts.

God help any child growing up in that situation...

And imagine what it must be like for a teenager trying to argue with her mother who is such an accomplished and experienced spin artist! Its no wonder the girl asked AOC to please adopt her!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

TomOnBoard wrote: »

And imagine what it must be like for a teenager trying to argue with her mother who is such an accomplished and experienced spin artist! Its no wonder the girl asked AOC to please adopt her!!

That's a very good point. Very hard when your mother is a proven and accomplished liar.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

TomOnBoard wrote: »

To be honest , I imagine being the children (or just family members) of any high profile people is pretty challenging in the modern social media world.

Amplify that with all of the partisan vitriol over the last number of years and it must be horrendous.

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    To be honest , I imagine being the children (or just family members) of any high profile people is pretty challenging in the modern social media world.

Amplify that with all of the partisan vitriol over the last number of years and it must be horrendous.

Yes but I'd rather be Michelle Obama's teenage daughter than Conway's.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Yes but I'd rather be Michelle Obama's teenage daughter than Conway's.

Based on her postings on Social Media it certainly seems like she and her parents are clashing in a big way and it's not good to see that play out in public.

My comment was more about what it must be like to be the family of a high profile person today - I would imagine that the kind of crap thrown at family members online must be pretty awful.

Based on her postings on Social Media it certainly seems like she and her parents are clashing in a big way and it's not good to see that play out in public.

My comment was more about what it must be like to be the family of a high profile person today - I would imagine that the kind of crap thrown at family members online must be pretty awful.

Yes, you're right. Even children would be fair game for trolls. For me, such abuse would be exacerbated by having a mother who was a proven liar. If you're getting horrendous abuse as a teenager because your family is high profile, and your mother lacks character and is unprincipled, then where go you go for support?

If KAC is resigning for the ressond she has stated, and although she has been a leading member of a WH that has been found to lie openly and consistently I am willing to accept her word for it, then I applaud her for making that decision.

I think it took her far too long and she will look back with regret that the last 4 years were not worth it in terms of the effects it had, and things must be pretty serious to make the decision now.

For a senior leader to resign and leave within 20 or so days, 70 odd days out from an election is a monumental decision. I can imagine the angst that she went through and the bombshell that exploded when she announced it to Trump.

Any other campaign would now be being talked about as in chaos. Behind in the polls, lots of reorganisation so close to the election, no policy base, no endorsementd, and now a senior member quitting.

But it won't be seen as such because it already was in chaos. People were burned last time by writing Trump off and don't want do to the same again.

But things are looking very shaky for Trump.

It is clear that the strategy will revolve around trying to paint democratic system in the US as corrupt, painting Biden as senile and praying for a vaccine.

They have nothing else. Which is pretty staggering given that Trump started his reelection campaign as early as 2017 with almost continuous rallies. That they have landed in such a perilous position is pretty damming on Trump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭abff

Leroy42 wrote: »
    But things are looking very shaky for Trump.

It is clear that the strategy will revolve around trying to paint democratic system in the US as corrupt, painting Biden as senile and praying for a vaccine.

They have nothing else.

Nothing else? They also have a major campaign to disenfranchise as many non Trump supporters as possible by disembowelling the US Postal Service and otherwise making it as difficult as possible for people to vote in those areas that are largely against Trump.

In terms of the Trump campaign - They have spent a record amount of money at this stage of the cycle - A Billion dollars so far - Way above any previous campaign at the same point in time.

They have also blown through all of their cash advantage already - Trump campaign reports that they have ~$300M on hand compared to ~$295M for the Biden campaign.

A Billion spent , cash advantage gone and still 8 to 10 points down in the polls.

Not where anyone would want their campaign to be a month out from the start of early voting.

• Advertisement

In terms of the Trump campaign - They have spent a record amount of money at this stage of the cycle - A Billion dollars so far - Way above any previous campaign at the same point in time.

They have also blown through all of their cash advantage already - Trump campaign reports that they have ~$300M on hand compared to ~$295M for the Biden campaign.

A Billion spent , cash advantage gone and still 8 to 10 points down in the polls.

Not where anyone would want their campaign to be a month out from the start of early voting.

If thats a billion that's been spent, I am absolutely sure it's not been 'spent' in the traditional sense.. You can be sure that a good proportion's been siphoned off into the pockets of all the crooks and grifters that are involved!

Think Bannon's wall grift and multiply it 40 or even 100 fold!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭amandstu

That's a very good point. Very hard when your mother is a proven and accomplished liar.
    Yes ,she should be ashamed to be a human being.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,822 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Barron has been on my mind for the past two years with the media coverage his Dad, Mom and step-brothers have been getting; like what school would have been like for him with the average kids repeating what the parents said and school/teen cliques. Don Jnr is different in that he is a grown adult and was so when Dad decided to run for office and he worked on the campaign. Barron didn't get the choice when involvement in it became part of his childhood.

aloyisious wrote: »
    Barron has been on my mind for the past two years with the media coverage his Dad, Mom and step-brothers have been getting; like what school would have been like for him with the average kids repeating what the parents said and school/teen cliques. Don Jnr is different in that he is a grown adult and was so when Dad decided to run for office and he worked on the campaign. Barron didn't get the choice when involvement in it became part of his childhood.

A good point. Naked dishonesty ,selfishness and ill will to others in public can equal child abuse.

18 million from Bloomberg to the DNC reportedly today

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/meet-the-press/blog/meet-press-blog-latest-news-analysis-data-driving-political-discussion-n988541/ncrd1164846#blogHeader

Was that included? (is that it?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

I think this may sum up Trumps campaign

Invoice early. Invoice often.

FWIW, New York AG Letitia James has registered a lawsuit against the Trump Organisation and other defendants incl Eric Trump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,374 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

aloyisious wrote: »

To be fair and I know it doesn’t mean he is outside of everything, the press pretty much never mention him and the family including Trump himself don’t either. It’s no way to live though there must be no break from it regardless of where he is.

salmocab wrote: »
    To be fair and I know it doesn’t mean he is outside of everything, the press pretty much never mention him and the family including Trump himself don’t either. It’s no way to live though there must be no break from it regardless of where he is.

He'd be a lot more fortunate if he was younger. All of this must be a horrifying life for him tbh.

• Advertisement

You know what's more horrifying?

Being separated from your parents by people whose language you do not understand, put in a cage, and then lost in the system.

The media do not focus on Baron because his father keeps them busy every day with truly evil crimes.

I'm not disputing that those policies are atrocious or that Trump is a terrible human being. It's more that I think the son being aware of the stuff his father is doing is a dreadful reality to be in.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement