Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Well, it depends on turnout, which is why Team Trump are working so hard to try to limit voting. They, I would think correctly, think that their supporters will vote no matter what.

If they can discourage enough people from voting then they can repeat 2016, when they lost the popular vote but won it where it mattered.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that Trump is trying to MAGA, bring America together or even win an argument.

This time round it might be a bit more blatant, such as a black-clad balaclavaed milita-men firing automatic weapons into the air around ballot centres....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭eire4

Leroy42 wrote: »
    The short answer is yes, there are millions are people buying it.

Sadly I think your right probably even as much as a quarter of Americans buy it and believe it lock stock and barrel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,717 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Correct me if I'm wrong, but to date, there's been nothing from the WH about what's going on in Belarus? Like, some support for what appears to be obviously a fight in the streets to become more democratic and get rid of a Soviet-era dictatorial relic?

Just, nothing? US used to stand with that sort, offer aid, recognize the pro-Democracy forces?

Or...could someone else be telling the WH what to say and do? Hmm...who might that be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Igotadose wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but to date, there's been nothing from the WH about what's going on in Belarus? Like, some support for what appears to be obviously a fight in the streets to become more democratic and get rid of a Soviet-era dictatorial relic?

Just, nothing? US used to stand with that sort, offer aid, recognize the pro-Democracy forces?

Or...could someone else be telling the WH what to say and do? Hmm...who might that be.

Outside of president trump saying they were watching the situation I’ve not heard of anything beyond that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Outside of president trump saying they were watching the situation I’ve not heard of anything beyond that.

Vlad has been saying plenty, no need for his lickspitlle to comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,623 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Don wants to get 80% in the US election also.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I see there's another major hurricane on its way to Texas, with its power increasing the last day or two. Bad enough to live with CoVid ATM, can't imagine how the authorities will manage a natural disaster while maintaining social distance and all the rest. While Trump's record with natural disasters has been abysmal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,196 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    This time round it might be a bit more blatant, such as a black-clad balaclavaed milita-men firing automatic weapons into the air around ballot centres....

That sounds exactly like something Trump and his cronies would approve of alright because thatd what Trump is a gangster and you need to be seriously thick to think he has done any good for America or the World in the last 4 years and will do even less good in the next 4. Hopefully we will not have to but up with him for 4 more years do as hopefully he will not get a second term.
    Go Joe Biden and Kamala Harris

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Sorry folks, not sure if I missed it in the thread or just the glaringly obvious.

I'm seeing a lot of talk that Trump broke the law at the RNC live on TV? What did he do now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Well there's talk of Junior being as coked up in his speech as Senior was in that video of him and Epstein, but other than that I'm not sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Sorry folks, not sure if I missed it in the thread or just the glaringly obvious.

I'm seeing a lot of talk that Trump broke the law at the RNC live on TV? What did he do now?

Think it's to do with signing a pardon in the middle of a political rally as a featured part of the rally. I don't understand why breaking the accepted norms to the extent that you're breaking the law has become such a regular occurrence.

Is it pure arrogance and confidence that a flunky Attorney General and lapdog GOP will let him away with *anything*, or is it pure ignorance and incompetence that has him blundering so frequently without even realising?

I know that doing the wrong thing seems to really delight him, but sometimes I think wilful stupidity plays a part too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Sonics2k wrote: »

My understanding is that there were multiple Hatch act violations by using the White House for political endeavours. And potentially other violations for Pompeo, the Sec of State also giving the endorsement at a political event.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,640 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

https://twitter.com/IrishTimes/status/1298873766773047296?s=19

"Founded in 1969 by scientists and students at MIT, the Union of Concerned Scientists (UCI) has been particularly busy of late. Since US president Donald Trump entered the White House, its Attacks on Science tracker has recorded more than 150 incidents of the administration undermining important scientific activity."

When Biden wins, it will be refreshing to have a President again who understands science and its importance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    What do you feel he has done well?

Economically his figures speak for themselves. The United states was absolutely booming. Unemployment for all in society was way down. People were lifted out of poverty.

For society his presidency was terrible.

I suppose it comes down to how you view the world and what you feel is more important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,722 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Economically his figures speak for themselves. The United states was absolutely booming. Unemployment for all in society was way down. People were lifted out of poverty.

So if the markets are booming, life is all good, for all Americans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

As Clinton himself once said "it's the economy stupid".

People don't give a hoot about much else and that's the plain hard truth. Trump has sailing towards 4 more years a few months ago now he's the underdog.

People don't give a hoot about much else and that's the plain hard truth. Trump has sailing towards 4 more years a few months ago now he's the underdog.

I'd say he's a bit more than an underdog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    So if the markets are booming, life is all good, for all Americans?

The markets booming are only one part of the economy.
    Unemployment figures were at 50 year lows. These are figures from government departments not out of Trumps mouth. Indisputable

On a side note if the markets are booming it means investors are confident in the economy as a whole. People invest, companies use that money to expand , jobs are then created.

Do you think life would be good for all Americans if the market was in the toilet?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭MurDawg

Bookies have the odds closely matched now. Its telling that the RNC is going well for Republicans... stock market gains help too.

The markets booming are only one part of the economy. Unemployment figures were at 50 year lows. These are figures from government departments not out of Trumps mouth. Indisputable

Is rate of pay and working conditions included in these metrics?

On a side note if the markets are booming it means investors are confident in the economy as a whole. People invest, companies use that money to expand , jobs are then created.

So activities such as share buy backs are net job creator's?
    Do you think life would be good for a Americans if the market was in the toilet?

Does booming markets always mean, a booming jobs market for many, with increasing wages, and improving working conditions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,684 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The markets booming are only one part of the economy.
    Unemployment figures were at 50 year lows. These are figures from government departments not out of Trumps mouth. Indisputable

Do you think life would be good for all Americans if the market was in the toilet?

It doesn't have to be an either/or situation though. A booming economy that makes money for the wealthy, even while creating jobs, is no compensation for civil unrest caused by racism, poverty and lack of education.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

For the democrats two things are of vital importance now. One is that they keep Biden pretty low key if possible and two is Covid19 continues to keep the American economy at a standstill until the election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,697 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

For society his presidency was terrible.

I suppose it comes down to how you view the world and what you feel is more important.

What is your definition of booming? And what part of his term do we look at exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

The economy continued the trend it had been on.

The gap between white and black economically did not close one bit.

Record stock markets happen on a very regular basis, it's kinda simple enough to work out why, same as job figures when the economy is functioning.

The concern economically would have been why is it only following the same lines it had been for years considering how much juicing the Trump administration has provided the economy.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

For the democrats two things are of vital importance now. One is that they keep Biden pretty low key if possible and two is Covid19 continues to keep the American economy at a standstill until the election.

Economies don't work like a switch, gaining some sort of control over covid doesn't mean the economy will all of a sudden bounce back, it's ultimately down to confidence, and it's currently on the floor, it takes time for it to return

The line that Biden needs to keep out of public view is getting increasingly silly. All appearances that he's made have gone incredibly will.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Mod Note

Hi folks, please heed the charter when posting.
    Please remember that we are not a blog, a news feed nor an announcement forum - if you are not willing to discuss what you post, then please don't post it. Thread will be locked and posters may face a sanction for repeatedly breaking this rule. This forum is for discussion and debate and we will not tolerate soapboxing. If you are here to "shout everyone down" with your opinions, we will see you as a negative contributor to the forum and will take appropriate action. High standards of debate and quality posts / threads are required. Repeated one liner, low quality style posts will result in a ban.

Posts simply stating someone else's post is "sensationalist rubbish" aren't in keeping with the charter and do nothing to contribute to a civil debate.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,521 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Why and why? I would say the Republicans need to get their house in order first, I see no message of unity, no message of hope, no message of how to fight covid, no message of change.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,247 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mod: Please refrain from using nicknames and insults. Post deleted and sanctioned.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,082 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Let's try this again.

I have to say, after the two conventions, I'm a bit more optimistic about 4 more years.

A couple of weeks ago around the time Kamala was announced, I thought the dems couldnt lose. Same as, pre covid, Trump couldnt lose. This is going to be a close run thing and will rest on the swing states. Trump has to energise his base to get out, and Joe has to push his "hey Im not Trump" brigade out. Whoever gets their base out in the swing states will win.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement