Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

He's just a troll, a piss taker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,617 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

He's just a troll, a piss taker.

He said that in 2013 when Obama was in office, if he is a troll as you claim then is this seriously the guy you want in office?

Seems to be a go to response for Trump supporters on here, ah sure he's taking the piss, he didn't really mean that, sure thats how he always slags off people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-meltdown-missed-phone-call-putin-mike-flynn-theresa-may-meeting-a9691001.html

A very strong and stable genius who is totally not Putin's little b***h

I can not wait for Trump's house of cards to collapse, so far we only got small glimpses of he's treasonous carry on.

You seem pretty invested in his collapse. Hopefully it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭moon2

But each state governor is in charge of state matters. The governor can request national assistance.

Americans are very proud of their federal status. They don't like Washington, or big government dictating things to them. It's part of the American culture. Trump just reflects that.

In the context of what you were replying to - this isn't relevant (though I agree).

Trump is the president of the US and is responsible for the stability of the country. He absolutely has the ability to have a positive impact on the protests. He's failed in his duty.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    He’s taking a hands off approach to COVID-19 when it suited him and he went back and forth over who’s responsibility fighting this virus was depending what day it was and when it benefited him. I think that pandemic is a federal government responsibility given they have the resources to deal with(or not) with the cost. But yes as a rule the states have autonomy of sorts which leads to the USA being a country where 50 smaller countries decide to kind of work together.

Yep and that's open to debate for sure whether Trump could have done more and made it a national issue.

But my point is that his position of allowing States to do what they wanted isn't an extreme or a surprising policy over there.

The media focus on one man probably because it is too confusing to deal with each state. Local media, where most Americans get their news, is a better judge of how Americans view the pandemic.

• Advertisement

He said that in 2013 when Obama was in office, if he is a troll as you claim then is this seriously the guy you want in office?

Seems to be a go to response for Trump supporters on here, ah sure he's taking the piss, he didn't really mean that, sure thats how he always slags off people.

No I don't care who is president of America. They always seem to end up bombing Muslim countries anyway.

I don't take my cultural or social values from what American presidents say or do.

moon2 wrote: »
    In the context of what you were replying to - this isn't relevant (though I agree).

Trump is the president of the US and is responsible for the stability of the country. He absolutely has the ability to have a positive impact on the protests. He's failed in his duty.

That may be the case, but he decided to come down on the side of law and order. He viewed the protesters as damaging property and businesses.

The same thing happened here for the water protests when FG tried to demonise protesters.

No I don't care who is president of America. They always seem to end up bombing Muslim countries anyway.

I don't take my cultural or social values from what American presidents say or do.

For someone who doesn't care you sure do make a lot of posts in defence of Trump :rolleyes:

For someone who doesn't care you sure do make a lot of posts in defence of Trump :rolleyes:

It's not a defence. Again, you mistake commentary for defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Trump seems to have taken a hands off approach to state matters. This is part of the American ideology to let States themselves deal with their own affairs.

So those extra feds that were sent to Portland, just decided to deploy themselves?

• Advertisement

It's not a defence. Again, you mistake commentary for defence.

no

I'm happy to describe it for what it is, defence of Trump.

no

I'm happy to describe it for what it is, defence of Trump.

But I think you might have extreme views and are unable to recognise that.

So those extra feds that were sent to Portland, just decided to deploy themselves?

Did the governor request them?

On the contrary, you seem to care way too much.

Nah, not even a little, as I said, think what you want I've obviously hit a nerve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,822 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Ref the hands-off approach on matters which president Trump claims to have, it seems to be a policy of convenience, that is; whether its convenient or inconvenient for him to have such a policy. One of the latest concerns his statement that he was sending National Guard troops to Wichita.

The Adjutant General of the Wichita National Guard, Mjr Gen Knapp made a public statement alongside the Lt Gov of Wichita thanking three other states for their response in sending troops to assist the Wichita Nat Gd units and placing them under his command. Gen Knapp stated that the Nat Gd Units had NOT been federalized and they were under the command of his Commander in Chief, the Governor of Wichita.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Mod Note

Timberrrrrrrr and hotmail.com. If you want to continue posting on this thread, stop sniping at one another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Did the governor request them?

Did they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,865 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Apologies if I've missed this in the swirl of RNC related posts.
    But this, https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/27/media/white-house-dossier-journalists/index.html

Should honestly terrify every right minded American who places value in the constitution.
    A free and open press is a cornerstone of democracy.
    It allows the actions of the government to be monitored and where necessary have a light shown upon them.
    In a statement, White House spokesperson Judd Deere accused The Washington Post of "blatantly interfering with the business relationships of the Trump Organization" and demanded "it must stop."
    "Please be advised that we are building up a very large 'dossier' on the many false David Fahrenthold and others stories as they are a disgrace to journalism and the American people," Deere said.

Threatening a cohort of the media in the hope of forcing a story dropped, or to coerce silence is an abhorrent action anywhere!
    But to see it in the country that screams 1st amendment over every little thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭serfboard

banie01 wrote: »
    Threatening a cohort of the media in the hope of forcing a story dropped, or to coerce silence is an abhorrent action anywhere!
    But to see it in the country that screams 1st amendment over every little thing?
    I'd say the journalists would be as terrifed of that as they would be of Fr. Noel Furlong putting their names in his notebook ...

• Advertisement

banie01 wrote: »
    Apologies if I've missed this in the swirl of RNC related posts.
    But this, https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/27/media/white-house-dossier-journalists/index.html

Should honestly terrify every right minded American who places value in the constitution.
    A free and open press is a cornerstone of democracy.
    It allows the actions of the government to be monitored and where necessary have a light shown upon them.

AFAIK there's a case been taken to the USSC against one of Trump's executive orders where he's trying to restrict the media from looking at his family-related activities while President.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,865 ✭✭✭✭banie01

serfboard wrote: »
    I'd say the journalists would be as terrifed of that as they would be of Fr. Noel Furlong putting their names in his notebook ...

That's not really the point. Trying to control and coerce the media is.
    Luckily at present the media can and will stand up to his bluster, albeit a few years too late ;)

Imagine Don and Barr during a 2nd term with what they will see as a divine mandate.

Ref my last above, the action taken against Trump's executive order affecting media groups because they fact-checked his statements was joined yesterday by voting rights groups on the basis that the order deprives voters of their First Amendment right to receive accurate information about elections.

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/politics/trump-got-hit-with-another-lawsuit-over-his-executive-order-targeting-social-media-companies-this-time-from-voting-rights-groups-who-say-he-s-suppressing-accurate-election-info/ar-BB18rpSH?ocid=msedgdhp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,923 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

But I think you might have extreme views and are unable to recognise that.

But we know you are defending Trump and you are unable to recognize that.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Mod Note

Read the charter folks. Posts that consist solely or mostly of gifs, memes, tweets, videos etc are not what this forum is for. You have to make a your own contribution.

There's only so many times we can warn people about this before we start issuing more thread bans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,718 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Awesome. RNC convention in SC, not much social distancing, not much masking, and https://www.mecknc.gov/news/Pages/Mecklenburg-County-COVID-19-Data-for-August-26.aspx"]Here come the Covid cases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,521 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Igotadose wrote: »
    Awesome. RNC convention in SC, not much social distancing, not much masking, and https://www.mecknc.gov/news/Pages/Mecklenburg-County-COVID-19-Data-for-August-26.aspx"]Here come the Covid cases

Dunno about that link working correctly, but there are fears that the white house faff last night is a superspreader event, given the lack of masks and social distancing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,718 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Caegan

The NBA are opening all stadiums as voting stations for the 2020 elections.

Trump will be off on another NBA poor ratings tweetstorm soon I imagine

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

duploelabs wrote: »
    Dunno about that link working correctly, but there are fears that the white house faff last night is a superspreader event, given the lack of masks and social distancing

Probably not, unless one of the security personnel checking people on the way in were positive as they are the only people who would have been interacting with everybody up close and personal. And that is less likely as they are probably tested at least daily.

For everyone else as they were all sat outside and presumably still not daft enough to go around coughing on each other and chatting in close proximity in the queue for the portapotty then even if there was someone positive there the chances of it getting passed to even the person sat next to them are relatively low due to it being held outside. Remember there's been no significant outbreaks linked back to outdoor events such as packed beaches in the UK for example.

An event held indoors is a different matter, but outdoors... don't get your hopes up of a big scandal of an outbreak occurring.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement