Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for dev to take over existing Java app

Options
  • 01-07-2020 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭

I posted it in Mobile Application but it seems like a dormant forum.

My website client has an app available in both App Store and Google Play. The apps are to help with Junior Cert and Leaving Cert Music.
    They also have a desktop app.
    I have not used any of the apps so cannot tell you anything about them.

They wish to change app developer.

The current developer can provide the source code for the application and the code for the API used by the mobile devices, which in some cases is also used/shared by the desktop application.
    The application is built using Java.

They do have new features planned but I'll leave that to them to explain directly to the new developers.

They've contacted a few development companies through web searching and one sounded enthusiastic but then went quiet.

Does anyone know developers that may be interested in taking on an existing Java app?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Have you considered posting this on upwork.com or freelancer.com. Be warned, if you do, be sure to thoroughly vet developers applying for the job, as if you were conducting a real interview.

A lot of good developers there, but a fair amount of dodgey ****ers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

I downloaded the Android app and it appears to be built using something called expo, a tool for making cross platform apps in React and JS. So it's not Java, it's Javascript. Be sure to mention this when you're looking for devs.

I think you should look on upwork for devs as well, it's great but you've to put in the work to separate the wheat from the chaff as L.Jenkins says.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I downloaded the Android app and it appears to be built using something called expo, a tool for making cross platform apps in React and JS. So it's not Java, it's Javascript. Be sure to mention this when you're looking for devs.
    FFS, the statement that it was written in Java was from the current developer! :rolleyes:
    The same developer said:
    As an aside, I should add that your application is built using Java, which is the most popular programming language on the planet.)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Am I going mad or did he put the iOS screenshots up on the Play Store?
    Between that and not knowing the language it was written in, I can see why they want to move away from this dev. He could have been outsourcing it himself!

Seems a handy number though, and I'd offer my services but with the current job and a baby on the way, I doubt I'd have much free time.

BTW, make sure you get the signing certs and the app store logins as well, before he leaves town!

Advertisement