Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The consequences of buying fish

Options

Comments

I do like monkfish.

Bless you

Yeah, I eat fish a few times a week myself, it mostly seems to be haddock or hake. I don't really know what is an acceptable amount to eat, if there is an acceptable amount at all given the state of our oceans. I don't eat tuna any more, and salmon is a disaster, can you even buy wild salmon in Ireland? Farmed salmon and the environmental consequences is scary.
    Can you even buy fresh Irish or European prawns? As far as I know there are no prawns in Irish waters, it's a difficult subject to get information on.
    What we see in the shops here, and even in these trying to be craft fish shop places like Wrights etc, are big juicy farmed prawns from places like India, Bangladesh, and Nicaragua - where they are destroying ecosystems by farming them. I couldn't possibly eat those either.
    It will never happen, but I wish the EU could come together and have some kind of moratorium on fishing for 5 years or so, to let the seas replenish. Pay fishermen or whatever. How they think we can go on as is with the damage dredging and supertrawlers etc are doing is beyond me. They had to do this in Newfoundland because the once extremely plentiful cod was fished into oblivion, and it never recovered.
    We are a moronic species.

Yes you can get Irish prawns- not always available and bloody expensive but freshly caught- you can also get frozen ones- I’ve seen them in Howth, Dun Laoghaire and a few other Dublin Fish shops- but prepare to cry when you see the price

That's terrible. Lovely mackerel being wasted.

We’re not eating enough fish in Ireland to sustain a steady market here- much of our catches are exported to London, France etc who devour fish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Ultima Thule

Dont care, bought lots of fish today, prawns, hake fillets, and breaded cod..
    Cant wait for the mackerel season, grab 20+fish at a time. Wont know what to do with it all. Sandwiches and bait probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

mackerel loves a bbq grill!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Complain to the EU and get them to stop fishing in Irish waters if you really care.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yes you can get Irish prawns- not always available and bloody expensive but freshly caught- you can also get frozen ones- I’ve seen them in Howth, Dun Laoghaire and a few other Dublin Fish shops- but prepare to cry when you see the price

Do you mean the Dublin Bay Prawn or langoustine, which I never see anywhere for sale? They are the only type of prawn in our waters. This article goes into a bit further

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/food-and-drink/do-your-homework-on-prawns-before-you-eat-them-1.3113623

Dont care, bought lots of fish today, prawns, hake fillets, and breaded cod..

Why don't you care? Do you never think of where your food comes from and the sustainability of it? I wish more people would.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

auspicious wrote: »
    Not only can the purchase of fish change the size of fish remaining
    So, what's your alternative?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Do you mean the Dublin Bay Prawn or langoustine, which I never see anywhere for sale? They are the only type of prawn in our waters.

You can buy there here, caught by the Galway fleet.

https://eatmorefish.ie/product/galway-bay-prawns-medium/

Rene Cusack in Limerick and Ennis sell them too:

http://renecusack.ie/products.php

• Advertisement

You can buy there here, caught by the Galway fleet.

https://eatmorefish.ie/product/galway-bay-prawns-medium/

Rene Cusack in Limerick and Ennis sell them too:

http://renecusack.ie/products.php

I saw that yeah, I'd still be dubious as to where they are from I wonder if they're actually caught in Irish waters. You never see them in normal supermarkets etc though, even in fish speciality shops I've asked and they tell me the prawns are from India and the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭markjbloggs

Not only can the purchase of fish change the size of fish remaining, as well as how they reproduce and the speed at which they mature. When too many fish are taken out of the ocean it creates an imbalance that can erode the food web and lead to a loss of other important marine life, including vulnerable species like sea turtles and corals.

Moreover to the concerned person oceanic fishing has a high detrimental effect on biodiversity.
    We don't need to eat fish.
    These are the consequences , a small reflection of our nutured appetites

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1z6tutUHX2k

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HanAWzR-72A

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-europe-53214863/whale-freed-from-fishing-net-off-italian-coast

Can you countenance this. Hardly I'm sure.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/api.nationalgeographic.com/distribution/public/amp/animals/2006/11/seafood-biodiversity

Do you really think now is a good time to be lecturing people ?

Have we not had enough of Covid, BLM, Greta, MeToo etc ?

Do you really think now is a good time to be lecturing people ?

Have we not had enough of Covid, BLM, Greta, MeToo etc ?

Bizarre how pointing out the damage being done to our seas and fish stocks is thought of as some trendy fad, it's worrying

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭markjbloggs

Bizarre how pointing out the damage being done to our seas and fish stocks is thought of as some trendy fad, it's worrying

I've been listening to how fish stocks are being decimated for the past 50 years - what I've learned is that nature recovers and that my tolerance for "instruction" on this and other matters is low.

I saw that yeah, I'd still be dubious as to where they are from I wonder if they're actually caught in Irish waters. You never see them in normal supermarkets etc though, even in fish speciality shops I've asked and they tell me the prawns are from India and the likes.

Well, both sites specifically mention that they're Irish catches. Are Dublin Bay Prawns even found in India? I thought they were north-east atlantic/mediterranean only. Maybe they meant other types of prawns.

Here's another site selling them.
    https://sustainableseafood.ie/product/fresh-dublin-bay-prawns/

They specifically mention the boat (Bonne Chance) that lands them in Howth. You can see where it's fishing here

I've been listening to how fish stocks are being decimated for the past 50 years - what I've learned is that nature recovers and that my tolerance for "instruction" on this and other matters is low.

Probably nothing to do with the quotas and efforts that have been put into reducing overfishing and allowing stocks to replenish and fishing to become more sustainable with continued, dynamic regulation.

Well, both sites specifically mention that they're Irish catches. Are Dublin Bay Prawns even found in India? I thought they were north-east atlantic/mediterranean only. Maybe they meant other types of prawns.

Here's another site selling them.
    https://sustainableseafood.ie/product/fresh-dublin-bay-prawns/

They specifically mention the boat (Bonne Chance) that lands them in Howth. You can see where it's fishing here

I must get some sometime, I live near Howth but last time I asked in Wright's they only had Indian prawns!
    I did have langoustines last year in Carlingford, they're cool looking things, like mini lobsters. I think they call them crayfish in the USA, and in New Zealand and Australia they call lobster crayfish, it's all very confusing!

I used to fish for mackerel from a boat with just line and feathers when I was a kid in the late 80s/early 90s and they would almost jump into the boat, in Dalkey with my uncle. It's nothing like that these days, you'd be lucky to get anything, we used to pull up 80 or so in a few hours and stock the freezer. I don't think it was people like us doing the damage though, trawlers and dredgers are wrecking the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Nonsense, there's plenty more fish in the sea.

Actually, I though we should eat more fish not less. I though that was the answer to all the complaints over dairy farming and it's negative environmental consequences. I care less about fish than I do about poor piggys. I mean that, I gave up eating sausages this year and reduced my rasher consumption.

I would eat more fish but it's just so expensive. I though if we were all eat more it would cost less.
    Looks like we can't win. Even if we eat insects that would have a negative effect on the environment.

AllForIt wrote: »
    Nonsense, there's plenty more fish in the sea.

Actually, I though we should eat more fish not less. I though that was the answer to all the complaints over dairy farming and it's negative environmental consequences.. I care less out fish than I do about poor piggys. I mean that, I gave up eating sausages this year and reduced my rasher consumption.

I would eat more fish but it's just so expensive. I though if we were all eat more it would cost less.
    Looks like we can't win. Even if we eat insects that would have a negative effect on the environment.

Fish isn't expensive at all. Mackerel and hake is next to nothing, monkfish is expensive but most of them are cheap as chips. Too cheap probably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

I used to fish for mackerel from a boat with just line and feathers when I was a kid in the late 80s/early 90s and they would almost jump into the boat, in Dalkey with my uncle. It's nothing like that these days, you'd be lucky to get anything, we used to pull up 80 or so in a few hours and stock the freezer. I don't think it was people like us doing the damage though, trawlers and dredgers are wrecking the place.

My uncle's in his late 70s , he said wen he was a kid they used to go fishing at the sea which was only a few miles from their home. He said the sea would be black with the amount of mackeral swimming up the coast , shoals over a mile long. It kept all the locals who were poor at that time , food for a few months of the year . He's said the last 10 to 12 year are really bad ,he heard the trawlers are netting the mackeral in their spawning ground . Don't know if it's true or not but wouldn't surprise me with some people's greed.

We went up last year about 4 times and only caught 2 mackeral. Now they're netting all the wrasse to use in the salmon cages because wrasse eat the lice that are killing our native salmon. Most of the fish caught isn't even used for humans to eat , a lot of goes into oils, animal feed etc. I remember having an argument with a woman on Facebook about fishing . She said I was cruel to do that to fish , her profile picture was a picture of a cat , so I sent her a link showing that 2 millions tonnes of fish are killed every year to be used in cat food , funnily enough she never wrote back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

plenty of prawns caught in irish waters by irish boats .howth and dingle would be the biggest ''prawn '' ports but they're also landed in other ports . fish stocks are healthier that they have been in decades due to the strict quota's and management . however there are still questions to be answered regarding inspections of foreign boats , especially the spanish . Boats are having trouble avoiding catching hake , haddock and cod . Mackerel stocks have moved further north in the atlantic due to warming . Earlier this year '' international council for exploytation of the seas'' who help set the quotas admitted their research was flawed and upped their stock figures of mackerel by 2 million tonnes . Would make you wonder what other figures are wrong as boats are seeing more and more fish on the ground .
    I bought hake and haddock last week as i have done several times for 10/20 euro a box [30kg] to use as bait for crab / lobster pots . No market due to over supply , wholesalers can't shift it . Bought it regularly even before the virus . When i and others can do this you would have to wonder why retail prices are so high and why prices over the counter aren't reduced to encourage more people to eat fish . In a country surrounded by fish we are not a fish eating population
    While fish stocks are not what they were 100 years ago you would not want to believe all you hear from '' the green agenda'' about stock depletion . Just because some guy with a rod can not catch a fish from his local pier it does not mean the seas are barren and everything is gone .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Fish isn't expensive at all. Mackerel and hake is next to nothing, monkfish is expensive but most of them are cheap as chips. Too cheap probably.

Fish is a lot cheaper outside of Ireland, were overcharged here considering were an Island surrounded by water. Fish tastes amazing and is super healthy, it would be silly to stop eating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭buried

Lets all go and eat a bowl of grey porridge three times a day for the rest of our lives until the day we are told we are cruelly exterminating oats

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

While there’s a lot of Indian etc prawns in fish shops and in fairness most have origin displayed, the really good fish shops stock Irish ones- like I said you’ll know these by the price

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

i wonder where, that fish did go....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

The UN FAO monitors six hundred fish stocks globally and according to its 2018 Aquaculture report 93% are overexploited, fully exploited or depleted.
    The 2030 Agenda's ambitions for a better world will be compromised if we continue to push stocks to the limit.
    Hundreds millions of livelihoods depend on fisheries in costal regions. 95% of fishermen live in developing countries.
    Industrial fishing's powerful lobbyists push for quotas far beyond scientifically assessed recommendations.
    Upwards of $20billion is forked out by governments in subsidies mainly to industrial fishers to cover running costs such as fuel and equipment. These subsidies have grown the world fishing fleet capabilities to two and a half times larger than the maximum sustainable catch.

The UN FAO monitors six hundred fish stocks globally and according to its 2018 Aquaculture report 93% are overexploited, fully exploited or depleted.
    The 2030 Agenda's ambitions for a better world will be compromised if we continue to push stocks to the limit.
    Hundreds millions of livelihoods depend on fisheries in costal regions. 95% of fishermen live in developing countries.
    Industrial fishing's powerful lobbyists push for quotas far beyond scientifically assessed recommendations.
    Upwards of $20billion is forked out by governments in subsidies mainly to industrial fishers to cover running costs such as fuel and equipment. These subsidies have grown the world fishing fleet capabilities to two and a half times larger than the maximum sustainable catch.

So what's your point? don't eat fish? because if it is, you can sling your hook. That's a rubbish answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

So what's your point? don't eat fish? because if it is, you can sling your hook. That's a rubbish answer.

I'm not answering anything. Just stating facts. Some care. Some don't.

• Advertisement

I'm not answering anything. Just stating facts. Some care. Some don't.

you stated in your opening post that we shouldn't eat fish. :rolleyes:

Advertisement